Suppression of Information by US Authorities

By speakpc in News
Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 09:52:04 PM EST
Tags: Freedom (all tags)
Freedom

The loss of the two (identical) hard disks from the top secret data security safe at Los Alamos National Labs may indeed pose a more serious threat to our national security than what is being indicated in our mighty American news media.

Here's a story of another nuclear mishap which took place in the '80s and how it was covered up.

In 1984 an "incident" involving a Pershing missile occurred at a nuclear missile site in what was then West Germany. This incident involved the low order detonation of the second stage (propulsion stage only - not the warhead) of a nuclear missile. It killed five people and caused quite an uproar in Germany (particularly among our friends in the Green Party), and as a matter of fact, across Europe. It was front page stuff over there for nearly a month. I know this because I was at that time living in Stuttgart, West Germany.

Meanwhile, back in the good ole US of A, no one ever even knew about it. I know this because I spoke with several of my friends and relatives about it, asking them what was being said in the US media.

Hmmm... are we aware of how little accurate or important information ever reaches us through the regular channels of broadcast and printed news media?

I don't think so.

o Also by speakpc

Suppression of Information by US Authorities | 35 comments (35 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Very interesting! I was in the Air... (4.00 / 2) (#17)
by yoder on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:14:22 PM EST

yoder voted 1 on this story.

Very interesting! I was in the Air Force in Greece and Berlin for 5 years in the late 80's and I don't have a doubt in my ex-military mind that the US is a master of deception and cover ups. I wonder if that sort of thing would be possible today with the internet. I think they could do it, but it would be much more difficult.

I'm only voting -1 on this because ... (2.00 / 1) (#6)
by dave0 on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:14:49 PM EST

dave0 voted -1 on this story.

I'm only voting -1 on this because there's no corroboration, no links, and no backing to this story.

Hmm...I think the media themselves ... (none / 0) (#5)
by End on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:16:13 PM EST

End voted 0 on this story.

Hmm...I think the media themselves censor at least as much information as the government tries to.

-JD

LOL, what about the anti-gulf-war p... (4.80 / 4) (#11)
by Alhazred on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:22:40 PM EST

Alhazred voted 1 on this story.

LOL, what about the anti-gulf-war protests in '91? The largest single protest in the history of man took place in the summer of 1991 in Washington DC. It got 5 column inches in one local paper. I know, my brother was there in a contingent from Vermont that took 20 Greyhound busses full of protesters, and Vermont is a small state... I think Vietnam taught the people in power a very hard lesson about controlling the media.
That is not dead which may eternal lie And with strange aeons death itself may die.

This is of particular importance to... (none / 0) (#8)
by Dangermouse on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:24:24 PM EST

Dangermouse voted 1 on this story.

This is of particular importance to Americans. Hell, we (i.e. everyone outside the USA) know just how much censorship you people have to put up with, but I think it should be brought to the attention of Americans in general.

-----
No one has "Rights", neither machines nor flesh-and-blood. Persons...have opportunities, not rights, which they do or do not use. - Lazarus Long

Was it surpression, or did the Amer... (2.00 / 1) (#7)
by Eimi on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:34:51 PM EST

Eimi voted 0 on this story.

Was it surpression, or did the American media just consider it now newsworthy? Ultimately there's no way to know, but I do think you have to wonder.

Some supporting info should be adde... (none / 0) (#14)
by animania on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:36:34 PM EST

animania voted -1 on this story.

Some supporting info should be added. Perhaps a German news service story to support the claim?

are there any links to articles or ... (none / 0) (#15)
by floorpie on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 06:42:53 PM EST

floorpie voted 0 on this story.

are there any links to articles or any additional info?

I see it more and more all the time... (none / 0) (#13)
by iCEBaLM on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 06:43:08 PM EST

iCEBaLM voted 1 on this story.

I see it more and more all the time, the "established media" falsely reporting, or not even reporting at all, on major news worthy stories. And haven't you noticed they all seem to parrot eachother? It's quite fishy.

This has happened for a while. ... (none / 0) (#12)
by Qtmstr on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 06:44:01 PM EST

Qtmstr voted 1 on this story.

This has happened for a while.

Kuro5hin delenda est!

I'm voting no on this, since the po... (none / 0) (#10)
by logic on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 06:55:30 PM EST

logic voted -1 on this story.

I'm voting no on this, since the poster didn't provide any URLs or supporting documentation of their claims.

Oh, I think so. Anyone who doesn't... (none / 0) (#2)
by bmetzler on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 07:10:00 PM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

Oh, I think so. Anyone who doesn't realize that the media isn't telling us what's going on, and doesn't realize that the media has strong bias, is being very naive indeed.

That'd be like believing that TOS isn't really there to advocate Linux, and Open Source.

-Brent
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.
Read "manufacturing consent" by noa... (2.50 / 2) (#9)
by ishbak on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 07:12:05 PM EST

ishbak voted 1 on this story.

Read "manufacturing consent" by noam chomsky.

Re: Read (none / 0) (#25)
by Marvin on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 04:44:21 AM EST

I guess most people here are clever enough that they have already noticed that mainstream media are a very unreliable source of information. But once you've read "Manufacturing consent" you understand not only that they're unreliable and biased but also WHY this is so.
So, I can only repeat: Read "Manufacturing consent" by Noam Chomsky! And while you're at it, his other political books are pretty damn good (and often shocking) as well.

A lot of information is suppressed ... (none / 0) (#3)
by Inoshiro on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 07:45:13 PM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

A lot of information is suppressed because the powers at be feel it would not be beneficial for the populace to know it. Sometimes this can be good (avoiding panic, allowing people to calmly leave quickly instead of having many, many more die in the ensuing stampede), and sometimes it can be bad (most stuff relating to military areas, accidents, and experiments).

Now, if only governments had a "Should I filter your information for you? (y/N)" checkbox :-/

[ イノシロ ]
It could use more writeup.... (none / 0) (#4)
by marlowe on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 07:58:45 PM EST

marlowe voted 0 on this story.

It could use more writeup.

I worked in the nuclear power busin... (3.50 / 2) (#16)
by the Epopt on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 08:07:21 PM EST

the Epopt voted 1 on this story.

I worked in the nuclear power business here in the US for many years.

"[A]re we aware of how little accurate or important information ever reaches us through the regular channels of broadcast and printed news media?"

You have no clue how little information you are permitted to receive.

Most people who need to be shot need to be shot soon and a lot.
Very few people need to be shot later or just a little.

K5_Arguing_HOWTO
Re: I worked in the nuclear power busin... (none / 0) (#23)
by FlinkDelDinky on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 03:53:12 AM EST

I seem to recall hearing maybe two years ago that tons of plutonium was not accounted for. (<-- you think that sentence hurt to read, well, let me tell ya, it hurt even more to write).

I forget the source but it was one from talk radio. Ring any bells? If so, is there any truth to it?

As to the topic, I generaly don't trust 'big money/power' orginizations as a rule. Big corporations and government obviously fall into that catagory.

I think the U.S. media (and I assume most of the rest) either can't do complete reporting do to law (China, etc.) or because government can block access to government personel (speeches, interviews, and stuff) in retalition for 'inapropriate' reporting (the US does this, or so I've heard), or the reporting media is just plane lazy, they don't want to send out reporters or the reporters don't want to go out.

Re: I worked in the nuclear power busin... (none / 0) (#32)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 09:13:00 PM EST

Second hand info, but yes, the accounting and transport of the raw materials has been so badly handled that at times they couldn't even report which building certain items were stored in. This coupled with the fact that the military is *constantly* losing various weaponry tends to be very disturbing.

I believe most of these people are just interested in keeping "that cool rocket launcher" or having a grenade or two to hang on to, but the possibility of obtaining a small arsenal is just too easy. I recall several bases being under lock down in recent years while they searched for missing *cases* of ammo.

Is there any way to step back from this gigantic ledge?

Re: I worked in the nuclear power busin... (none / 0) (#33)
by FlinkDelDinky on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 08:49:15 PM EST

Great, just great...

Yah, I've always wanted tons of nuclear material. ;-) Just between you and me, my wonderful US military isn't making feel any safer when they're losing tons of material... Oh well.

I don't think that the US media rea... (4.50 / 2) (#1)
by Fish on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 09:42:12 PM EST

Fish voted 0 on this story.

I don't think that the US media realises there is a world outside the USA actually. A friend of mine who lived in London made that observation based on how she felt when moving from London, where all the press and media is geared around living in London to Edinburgh (actually a large Scottish city) but less high-profile.

Besides, we know how the US media like to lie. Remember Yugoslavia? And how the Russian troops offended the Americans because they moved in first, while the Americans were still flying in their troops so that they could be the ones on TV making the ceremonial move in. The rest of the world were very unimpressed.

I thought most thinking people knew this (3.70 / 3) (#18)
by Rasputin on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 11:18:15 PM EST

I'm rather surprised at the number (i.e. >0) of people who won't believe this without substantiating links. Especially given how easy it is to create a bogus web-site presenting bad information as fact. Given the number of investigative reports that deal with cover-ups and censorship, it would be difficult to make a case against that particular incident having happened.

Anyhow, the best link I could find to illustrate this point comes from a major European concern with the Americans which they discussed at a meeting 2 years ago see - EU Minutes . Project Echelon certainly got a lot of coverage in Europe, but nil from the mainstream press in North America.

From personal experience, I spent 2 months in Africa flying humanitarian aid into refugee camps around Rwanda. How much CNN time was spent on the civil war there? Did they not mention that over 1 million died? (I vaguely remember one 30 second bit about this from CNN International, while I was there ) Did they not mention the hundreds of Catholic Missionaries that were killed there? Was there any mention in the press of what our friends from Southern Air Transport (owned by the same people that owned Air America in the 60's, but the SAT pilots are happy to tell you they're not CIA ;) were doing there? Did anybody in the US know that a few Americans were deployed to Uganda to support the refugee camps in neighbouring countries?

I think the doubters get the idea. The internet is still somewhat US-centric, and if it doesn't play in the US print/TV media, it will rarely get into the online news sites. There are web-sites that cover this stuff, but they tend to be regarded as unreliable "conspiracy" sites, so nobody believes them.

I guess the short answer is - draw your own conclusions ;)
Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.

Re: I thought most thinking people knew this (5.00 / 1) (#19)
by Potsy on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 12:25:10 AM EST

Well, there was a little coverage...

This is by no means a comprehensive list of all American news coverage, just a sampling. In any case, while I agree that it has not received the coverage it deserves (ideally it would get the same level of coverage as Elián), there has not exactly been a total blackout thus far, either.

Re: I thought most thinking people knew this (none / 0) (#31)
by Rasputin on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 07:12:50 PM EST

Okay, feel free to amend my comment to "nil, as far as I am (was) aware" ;)
Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
Re: I thought most thinking people knew this (3.00 / 1) (#27)
by speakpc on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 09:05:50 AM EST

Yes, I think that "most thinking people" are aware of the fact that there is some skewing/suppression of information going on. However until one actually witnesses it firsthand, it lacks real impact.
speakpeace
Do you really want to know? (none / 0) (#20)
by Neuromancer on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 12:50:18 AM EST

Do you really want them to tell you how serious it is? I can imagine it now. The headline of the Iraqi Press. 2 HD's containing missile guidance data missing, field day on US at 11PM. Make sure to look for rotting American carcasses all over after we join in the fun of killing the capitalist swine... I think not.

Three Points (4.80 / 4) (#21)
by FFFish on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 01:20:01 AM EST

1) Listen to BBC World Service, Radio Canada International (now sadly castrated, compared to its former glory) and -- possibly -- Voice of America. You'll find that the web pages offer text- and streaming audio versions.

2) The corporate media exist for one reason, and one reason only: to sell your eyes/ears to advertisers. It is not there to inform you, educate you or entertain you: if it happens to do any of that, consider it the merest happy coincidence.

3) The government media exist for one reason: to propagandize their political system and culture. Fortunately, this also means that they're quite willing to dig up the dirt on all other country's political systems, foibles and dirt. Which is why I question whether it's worth listening to VoA, unless you happen to be a European.

4) Use the web, Luke -- just don't trust it. :-)

Re: Three Points (none / 0) (#22)
by FlinkDelDinky on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 03:18:52 AM EST

That VOA link is pretty cool.

Fear is the quickest way to get people to agree wi (none / 0) (#24)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 04:42:20 AM EST

The timing of this news is kinda fishy-- amidst all the on-going talks in Washington and in Europe about the proposed orbiting U.S. Missile Defense system (which, by the way, violates some pesky old treaties) Makes you wonder...

Media bias and Sensationalism. (5.00 / 1) (#26)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 06:52:11 AM EST

Technically, this is off-topic, but it's seems relevent.

In the late 80's, a friend of mine who is a sociologist was carrying out research into juvenile delinquency. Her work at that time dealt mainly with one group of teenagers who made a living by stealing turbo-charged cars and scraping them for spare parts.

One of the local TV stations got wind of it and asked the gang for an interview. They agreed and somewhat reluctantly, my friend also agreed to be interviewed ( simply to be on hand if one of the reporters tried to incite one of the gang members to steal a car on camera ).

To cut a long story short, when the story appeared it was totally biased. It was sensationalised to the max and the section of the interview with my friend was deliberatly cut and edited to place the most sensational angle on my friends work ( sociologist's don't enforce the law - that isn't their job. They are supposed to find out what is really happening in society and that requires that they maintain an uncompromising neutrality. Otherwise, people won't tell them what they need to know ).

That incident taught me a lot about the bias of the mainstream media, and since then I have had other fairly direct and personal experiences that have simply re-enforced that impression.

As I said, this was technically off-topic but it is a personel experience of mine and I tend to value the things that I have learn't from personal experience more that I value the words that I have read in any book.

You might be strangling my chicken, but you don't want to know what I'm doing to your hampster.

"Secrecy" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan (none / 0) (#28)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 10:54:48 AM EST

I'm about half way through a book called "Secrecy" by (ex?) Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan which is seems relevant to this (Yale Uni Press) - it has some interesting writing on the interaction of the media and the government, on sensitive issues, historically in the USA.

Coming from a relatively small, it is interesting how introspective the US media is - although the incredible diversity does make that a pretty hard thing for a visitor to guage...

It's seems quite probable to me that the missile thing in Germany was covered but only on the fringes?
(a net search for those terms doesn't show up much)

News sites (none / 0) (#29)
by Rand Race on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 03:16:45 PM EST

Some good sites that set the record strait are Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting the Freedom Forum Online and the Independent Media Center. While these sites do have their own biases (especially IndyMedia) they tend to cover the stories that most mass media ignore.

A good example of what's going on is the recent incident where The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post accepted a 'scoop' from United Airlines/USAir's PR department on condition that they not interview other sources. This shows that even our most respected news institutions are willing schills for corporate interests rather than seekers of truth.

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because if there be one, He must approve the homage of Reason rather than that of blindfolded Fear." - Thomas Jefferson

Mommy, what's NEST? (none / 0) (#30)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 07:39:41 PM EST

I remember when a NEST project was mentioned in a university town's local paper. Just a mention of the name and that there _was_ such a group, much less information about one of their projects, really bothered the officials in charge... And now some NEST details are explained on CNN (that they carry magnetic media of arms data)? I think a bit more than intended has already leaked...

Hmmm... Certain gov't factions are all over this as a national security risk... I wondered who leaked the information? That leak could be considered a risk itself. No, really, we would have heard even this much if it weren't an election year. Can't wait 'till they find the HDs in Gore's trunk. Blah. Such bullshit, and people are falling for it.

I've seen this type of thing myself. (none / 0) (#34)
by mr on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 08:40:04 AM EST

Went down to the local federal building to get a tax form (1995 vitage) and found the halls filled with men in flack jackets and M16's. In the entryway, EMT's working on a shot up older man. 2 camera crews were there, and when I was leaving a 3rd was arriving.

Nothing. Nothing about it in the papers, on TV, nothing.

And this was *JUST* a guy getting shot up in the federal building....

Some pertinent links (none / 0) (#35)
by sheedl on Mon Jun 19, 2000 at 04:09:03 AM EST

Some links to more information: http://www.greenpeace.org/~comms/nukes/chernob/rep02.html 11-1985: In Heilbronn (Germany), a Pershing-II nuclear missile catches fire, three people killed Pershing system details: http://www.redstone.army.mil/history/systems/pershing/ One interesting line: 13 Dec 85 The PERSHING II weapon system successfully achieved full operational capability in Europe. http://www.nuclearfiles.org/chron/80/1985.html January 10 An American Pershing II missile catches fire near Heilbronn, West Germany, hurling white hot rocket parts to within 250 yards of a store of nuclear warheads. Not much content though, just minimal info... I agree about much of the US stuff being biased, but most countries reporting seems to be nationalistic in deport anyway. I'm currently residing in China, and although the Chinese language newspapers seem to be free for all, most of the western language official papers are of the "5% increase in production in peoples no 2. conterfeit goods factory, guangzhou" type style. The US is a favourite target here for bashing as well. However I think thats only fair, since the US bashes China just as much reportwise...

Suppression of Information by US Authorities | 35 comments (35 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)