eWeek gives positive review of kuro5hin.org

By deimos in News
Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 05:08:55 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

In the June 12, 2000 issue of eWeek, on page 77 there are a few paragraphs by TImothy Dyck pimping kuro5hin.org. I have not been able to find this online, so I've typed it in myself hoping that enough credit has been to given to not raise copyright issues.

"A new technology news site that has really caught my attention is Kuro5hin, at www.kuro5hin.org (the number 5 represents the letter S).

With a tagline of 'technology and culture, from the trenches,' the site attracts articles similar to those found on Slashdot- namely an ecclectic mixture of technology news, software release announcements and adovcacy postings. I've been especially impressed with some articles on security that I found there recently.

Kuro5hin differentiates itself from Slashdot by letting readers choose which stories get posted by giving a thumbs up or thumbs down to pending submissions. Speaking as a journalist, I find that approach very democratic and effective. In fact, during my recent master's thesis defense I used the site as an example of an alternative publishing model.

The site is always informative and interesting, and I recommend a visit."

-Timothy Dyck

o Kuro5hin
o Slashdot
o Also by deimos

eWeek gives positive review of kuro5hin.org | 29 comments (29 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo!... (1.00 / 1) (#10)
by Neuromancer on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 10:50:23 PM EST

Neuromancer voted 1 on this story.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo!

I'd vote +1 if we had a 'revolving ... (2.00 / 1) (#4)
by Demona on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 10:58:05 PM EST

Demona voted -1 on this story.

I'd vote +1 if we had a 'revolving aggrandizement' section or something similar. But you do deserve the pimpin'!

Dude, the same guy is probably read... (1.50 / 2) (#2)
by Fish on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 10:59:15 PM EST

Fish voted -1 on this story.

Dude, the same guy is probably reading this - how embarrassing!

Plus, what is there to talk about? "Yeah, great", "good work rusty", whatever?

And 'pimping' obviously means something different where you come from ...

AWWYEAH plugging the site!... (2.00 / 1) (#11)
by dieman on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 11:35:30 PM EST

dieman voted 1 on this story.

AWWYEAH plugging the site!
blah

Rusty: you go girl.... (2.00 / 1) (#13)
by 31: on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 11:43:37 PM EST

31: voted 1 on this story.

Rusty: you go girl.

-Patrick

Cool... congrats on the nod from eW... (2.00 / 1) (#7)
by skim123 on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 12:18:31 AM EST

skim123 voted 1 on this story.

Cool... congrats on the nod from eWeek.

PT Barnum

Here's to self agrandisment!... (2.00 / 1) (#12)
by hooty on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 12:18:52 AM EST

hooty voted 1 on this story.

Here's to self agrandisment!

Re: Here's to self agrandisment!... (none / 0) (#25)
by kmself on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 05:52:54 PM EST

As the official Self of K5, I'm all for aggrandizing.

...and for spelling it correctly <g>.

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Re: Here's to self agrandisment!... (none / 0) (#26)
by rusty on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 05:59:59 PM EST

"That Self. Man, is he grand, or what!"

--rusty, doing my part for Self aggrandizement

____
Not the real rusty

A legend in his own mind (none / 0) (#27)
by kmself on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 03:52:31 AM EST

...or so I'm told.

...not that I believe my sources.

'her' (OSDevel...mutter, mutter).

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Re: A legend in his own mind (none / 0) (#28)
by rusty on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 01:42:39 PM EST

Wait... you're not that "Kristen Self" I keep hearing about on OSDevel are you? I thought she was someone else entirely... maybe your sister or something... ;-)

____
Not the real rusty
Regarding my sig (none / 0) (#30)
by kmself on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 05:01:46 PM EST

...keep it up and my pimp cut grows ;-)

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Whoohoo! kuro5hin rocks! :)... (2.00 / 1) (#15)
by iCEBaLM on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 12:23:05 AM EST

iCEBaLM voted 1 on this story.

Whoohoo! kuro5hin rocks! :)

self-aggrandizement sucks.... (2.00 / 1) (#8)
by pope nihil on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 12:56:17 AM EST

pope nihil voted -1 on this story.

self-aggrandizement sucks.

I voted.

Re: self-aggrandizement sucks.... (3.00 / 1) (#23)
by rusty on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 12:43:08 PM EST

But, does aggrandizement by others suck as well?

____
Not the real rusty
I put a free ad for K5 in my local ... (2.50 / 2) (#5)
by davidu on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 02:09:13 AM EST

davidu voted 1 on this story.

I put a free ad for K5 in my local paper.

-davidu

I wonder if he was refering to my s... (2.00 / 1) (#3)
by Inoshiro on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 02:47:13 AM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

I wonder if he was refering to my security features (which I've been sadly neglecting due to schooling and programming, etc), or just the average security articles on K5. Either way, thanks ;-)

[ イノシロ ]

Great! <BRAG TYPE="obligato... (2.50 / 2) (#6)
by Perpetual Newbie on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 03:39:21 AM EST

Perpetual Newbie voted 1 on this story.

Great! <BRAG TYPE="obligatory" STYLE="smug"> How long did it take for That Other Site to get mentioned in the press? A year and a half? </BRAG> K5 has a good thing going here, glad to see it getting some attention. Welcome aboard, any eWeek readers.

K5 advocacy is always good, but thi... (2.00 / 1) (#9)
by pwhysall on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 03:44:06 AM EST

pwhysall voted -1 on this story.

K5 advocacy is always good, but this isn't exactly a write up.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

Re: K5 advocacy is always good, but thi... (2.00 / 1) (#19)
by deimos on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 10:34:58 AM EST

It's not their standard writeup, but it is a quick positive review.
irc.kuro5hin.org: Good Monkeys, Great Typewriters.
Weel, that explains an odd little l... (3.00 / 1) (#1)
by rusty on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 04:37:38 AM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

Weel, that explains an odd little lump in the stats on that day, that I had been rather puzzled about. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

looks like those threats of mine to... (1.00 / 3) (#14)
by feline on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 04:41:08 AM EST

feline voted 1 on this story.

looks like those threats of mine to Timothy worked...

I'll be waiting for that thank-you rusty ;)
------------------------------------------

'Hello sir, you don't look like someone who satisfies his wife.'

Troll Alert (3.00 / 1) (#17)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 09:01:40 AM EST

rusty, here's your chance to make a precedent. You can't let people get away with statements like that, or it'll be slashdot all over again.... [exactly what this article was saying that we're better than, irony eh]

Re: Troll Alert (4.00 / 1) (#20)
by Snomed on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 11:36:23 AM EST

Speaking of Slashdot, I think the challenge of K5 is to include some of the positive features of Slashdot while avoiding the negative ones -- like the trolls and low signal to noise ratio that has made Slashdot so tedious. There are also some really useful things on Slashdot, like interviews and Ask Slashdot. K5 just posted the Relocation article, which is a kind of "Ask Kuro5hin" sort of article. It got voted in, so there's a desire for some of the Slashdot features. However as the Anonymous poster mentioned, if the negative features of Slashdot aren't avoided or removed, K5 will probably just devolve into "Slashdot-lite."
------------------

Re: Troll Alert (3.50 / 2) (#24)
by jalewis on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 04:04:25 PM EST

Please not Slashdot-lite. This site is different. Less idiots, More intelligence. I am copyrighting the above phrase. BTW, This is my first post with my newly created account. I have been lurking for quite a while and posting as Anon, but decided it was time to contribute. ;) jas

Re: Troll Alert (4.00 / 1) (#29)
by rusty on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 01:44:06 PM EST

Welcome! I like your slogan. "K5: Less idiots, more intelligence." It goes well with our other unoffical slogan: "K5: Our moderation system doesn't suck." :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Troll Alert (3.00 / 1) (#21)
by dblslash on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 12:12:43 PM EST

Why not do what I do? Click on the drop-down menu, select 1 for lowest, and then click on the little "Rate" button.

Re: Troll Alert (3.00 / 1) (#22)
by rusty on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 12:42:11 PM EST

Unfortunately, when you reply to trolls, it leaves a bit of a confusing gap in the conversation. ;-)

____
Not the real rusty
Nice work k5 crew (3.00 / 1) (#18)
by Alhazred on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 09:38:40 AM EST

Its going to be interesting to see where this place goes!
That is not dead which may eternal lie And with strange aeons death itself may die.
eWeek gives positive review of kuro5hin.org | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)