K5 Store, Open for Business

By rusty in News
Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 03:38:27 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

The long awaited official results of the T-Shirt design contest, and of course the concurrent opening of our store, are here at last! According to ESR, K5 is a viable Open Source business now. Read on for the winners.

Without further ado, the design contest winners:

Priceless, by jwsh is our first ever official T-shirt.

Bonus! Because I liked them both, Tacoma by JDogg (back) and evro (front) is also available.

And in the mug category, "Property of..." by eann is available in 11 or 15 oz. sizes. What the 11 ounce one is for is beyond me though. Maybe small children? ;-)

Thank you to everyone who submitted an entry. I suffered from a time crunch toward the end, but I did receive and look at all the entries, even if they didn't make it onto the submissions page. We'll probably do this again sometime, so hone those clever ideas.

One last thing-- I can also create a K5 mousepad, if anyone wants one. I didn't because it would cost at least 11 bucks, and I thought that was a ludicrous price for a mousepad. If anyone really wants one, mention it below, and I'll add them.

Now go buy stuff! :-)

o our store
o a viable Open Source business
o Priceless
o jwsh
o Tacoma
o JDogg
o evro
o "Property of..."
o eann
o Also by rusty

K5 Store, Open for Business | 19 comments (19 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
The first person I see wearing my s... (none / 0) (#4)
by jwsh on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 12:00:26 AM EST

jwsh voted 1 on this story.

The first person I see wearing my shirt gets a prize. So everone in the Boston area should buy 7 and wear one every day. (People I already know are excluded from this offer)

I only wish the "Property of Edna G... (none / 0) (#1)
by ebunga on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 12:02:05 AM EST

ebunga voted 1 on this story.

I only wish the "Property of Edna Graustein" was available as a shirt, sort of like the "Property of..." shirts that were once popular, but I think those are out of fashion. Oh well. I don't think $11 for a mouse pad is a good price, as well. Those things should be cheap enough where you can give them away! When I actually have some available credit on my credit card again, I'll be sure to buy a shirt or two.

You know one day I am going to need... (none / 0) (#6)
by kraant on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 12:09:03 AM EST

kraant voted 1 on this story.

You know one day I am going to need a credit card or debit card to actualy order stuff online....
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

Hmmmmmmmmmm.... perhaps this should... (none / 0) (#7)
by skim123 on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 12:30:28 AM EST

skim123 voted 0 on this story.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.... perhaps this should just be a box on the main page and not a story...

PT Barnum

maybe a link at the top? and outta... (none / 0) (#10)
by 31: on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 01:24:25 AM EST

31: voted 0 on this story.

maybe a link at the top? and outta curiosity, why no voting on the design (or was I just blind, in which case, many apologies)?

-Patrick

Where was the voting? Did I miss i... (none / 0) (#2)
by ramses0 on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 01:25:19 AM EST

ramses0 voted 1 on this story.

Where was the voting? Did I miss it?
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Edna was the only judge (none / 0) (#13)
by rusty on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 04:29:33 AM EST

In case you weren't reading the original request for submissions carefully, a quick recap:
Winners will be picked by Mrs. Edna Graustein, of Kansas City, Mo. Her decisions are final.
Seriously, though-- there wasn't voting, because basically that would have meant creating infrastructure to support it, and some kind of system. Maybe if we get tired of the current designs, in a bit, I'll do the next one with reader voting on the designs.

____
Not the real rusty
I am a mindless corporate zombie. I... (none / 0) (#5)
by Demona on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 01:28:36 AM EST

Demona voted 1 on this story.

I am a mindless corporate zombie. I am voting +1 so I can buy kewl stuff from k5 with others' credit cards. I will purchase all things kuro5hin...

TITHE! TITHE!

-dj

waiting for the movie

Now that is a picture I want on my ... (none / 0) (#11)
by haakon on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 01:57:31 AM EST

haakon voted 1 on this story.

Now that is a picture I want on my credit card :)

Go capitalism.. wait :-)... (none / 0) (#3)
by Inoshiro on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 02:00:12 AM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

Go capitalism.. wait :-)

[ イノシロ ]

Re: Go capitalism.. wait :-)... (none / 0) (#16)
by David Gerard on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 08:44:46 PM EST

This isn't Capitalism - this is Free Enterprise!

Of course, come the complete socialist transformation of society, EVERYONE will have a kuro5hin shirt and mug. The shirt will fall apart in five washings and the mug will be overengineered stainless steel and weigh 1 kg.

Re: Go capitalism.. wait :-)... (none / 0) (#17)
by rusty on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 10:05:51 PM EST

And we will bulldoze That Other Site to make room for glorious new tractor factory. ;-)

____
Not the real rusty
I certainly already have enough t-s... (none / 0) (#8)
by Arkady on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 02:28:53 AM EST

Arkady voted 1 on this story.

I certainly already have enough t-shirts. Hell, with all the expos and such out here I've accumulated so many that I give them to my rat for bedding. But the mug design is marvelous.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere Anarchy is loosed upon the world.

but why are all the clothes white? ... (none / 0) (#9)
by l4m3 on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 02:33:18 AM EST

l4m3 voted 1 on this story.

but why are all the clothes white? what happened to black t-shirts?

Re: but why are all the clothes white? ... (none / 0) (#12)
by rusty on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 04:25:33 AM EST

Cafe Press doesn't do black shirts yet. Being small-time, I'm more or less at their mercy, since they make it so easy. Read their explanation of why they don't have shirts != white.

____
Not the real rusty
Being in Australia sucks sometimes (none / 0) (#14)
by shonson on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 11:13:57 AM EST

I would order one, but after I add on the $20USD for international shipping, the cost of a tshirt is around $50AUD!. I could buy 2 or 3 reasonable tshirts localy for that price.
-- Steven in #kuro5hin
The number on the "priceless" shirt (none / 0) (#15)
by JJC on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 05:15:13 PM EST

Does the card number on the "priceless" shirt mean anything or is it just random?

Re: The number on the "priceless" shirt (none / 0) (#18)
by rusty on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 10:07:56 PM EST

Yes, it is meaningful. I'm sure you can figure out what number it is. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
ugly, uninformative, limited (none / 0) (#19)
by kellan on Wed Jun 28, 2000 at 12:53:53 PM EST

i love k5. i understand cafepress can't print on anything over then white, and no sizes larger then XL. maybe its just me, but from where i'm sitting right now(deep in corporate cubicle land) i see a lot of web developers, and there ain't one of them wearing white. most would probably fit into an XL, but it wouldn't be the baggy ciche of a serious coder.

perhaps someone like thinkgeek, or copyleft could do a series?

kellan

K5 Store, Open for Business | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)