Coders prepare new, free alternative to the MP3 format.

By Aztech in News
Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 12:05:35 AM EST
Tags: Internet (all tags)
Internet

Worried about steadily rising royalty fees covering the MP3 format, a group of open-source developers has created a new music format they say will be free and will equal or better MP3's quality. The Vorbis project is a fully Open, non-proprietary, patent-and-royalty-free, general-purpose compressed audio format for high quality (44.1-48.0kHz, 16+ bit, polyphonic) audio and music at fixed and variable bitrates from 16 to 128kbps/channel.

o created
o The Vorbis project
o Also by Aztech

Coders prepare new, free alternative to the MP3 format. | 41 comments (41 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
-1: It's already made the rounds, n... (none / 0) (#17)
by Eimi on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 05:40:57 PM EST

Eimi voted 0 on this story.

-1: It's already made the rounds, no real news here.
+1: It's cool tech. I like cool tech. Now just waiting till it's Ready for Primetime

Didn't I read about this several mo... (none / 0) (#29)
by polarsteam on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 05:43:53 PM EST

polarsteam voted 0 on this story.

Didn't I read about this several months (or even longer than that?) ago?

This is a really GOOD thing.... (3.33 / 3) (#12)
by Velian on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 06:03:11 PM EST

Velian voted 1 on this story.

This is a really GOOD thing.

Never head of it, sounds interestin... (none / 0) (#34)
by Eloquence on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 06:20:26 PM EST

Eloquence voted 1 on this story.

Never head of it, sounds interesting!
Copyright law is bad: infoAnarchy Pleasure is good: Origins of Violence
spread the word!

Writeup needs more info.... (none / 0) (#24)
by Logan on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 06:37:09 PM EST

Logan voted -1 on this story.

Writeup needs more info.

This sounds kewl but im pritty happ... (none / 0) (#28)
by Rich on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 06:40:00 PM EST

Rich voted 1 on this story.

This sounds kewl but im pritty happy with my mp3's now :)
I Expect history will be kind to me as i intend to write is. Winston Churchill

I suggest that 'vorbis' isn't the b... (none / 0) (#1)
by Fish on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 06:59:10 PM EST

Fish voted 1 on this story.

I suggest that 'vorbis' isn't the best of names [not as catchy as mp3, harder to spell, and could be abbreviated as .vb .vbs or .vob(??!)]

nice idea though, and it will be interesting to see if it works.

Re: I suggest that 'vorbis' isn't the b... (none / 0) (#36)
by stripes on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 12:20:18 PM EST

It gets "abreviated" as .ogg, not .vb/.vbs/.vob. At least according to the author...

Shitty writeup, even I know more ab... (none / 0) (#11)
by alisdair on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 07:02:42 PM EST

alisdair voted -1 on this story.

Shitty writeup, even I know more about Vorbis than that.

Hopefully they will also improve th... (4.00 / 2) (#2)
by Inoshiro on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 07:35:12 PM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

Hopefully they will also improve the artificating that occurs with certain wave structures between 16Khz and 20Khz, such as cymbals and other instruments.

[ イノシロ ]

Just saw this at /. ... (none / 0) (#20)
by eries on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 07:49:03 PM EST

eries voted -1 on this story.

Just saw this at /.
Promoting open-source OO code reuse on the web: the Enzyme open-source project

I hope their algorithm is a lot bet... (5.00 / 1) (#10)
by fluffy grue on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 08:03:32 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

I hope their algorithm is a lot better at 128Kbit than MP3 is... MP3 sucks at such "low" bitrates. :)

Thing is, if they use Huffman compression anywhere, then it's not as patent-free as they think it is - someone has apparently gotten a catch-all patent on "using Huffman compression on an audio stream," as though that's different than using Huffman compression on [a-zA-Z\ ]*. :/
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

old news, what we need is info and ... (none / 0) (#16)
by captain larry on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 09:07:17 PM EST

captain larry voted -1 on this story.

old news, what we need is info and thoughts on how we can make this format take off.
-- Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. - Pablo Picasso

already on /., now and 3 months ago... (none / 0) (#25)
by jmc on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 09:44:40 PM EST

jmc voted -1 on this story.

already on /., now and 3 months ago

This seems to be uncontroversially ... (none / 0) (#30)
by Cariset on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 11:13:49 PM EST

Cariset voted -1 on this story.

This seems to be uncontroversially a Good Thing. But methinks this is more a news blurb, and less the start of an interesting discussion...

i've heard nothing about mp3 royalt... (none / 0) (#21)
by mebreathing on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 11:26:07 PM EST

mebreathing voted -1 on this story.

i've heard nothing about mp3 royalties...and am sure that it will never happen.

Already extensive coverage on /.... (none / 0) (#8)
by skim123 on Fri Jun 16, 2000 at 11:59:08 PM EST

skim123 voted -1 on this story.

Already extensive coverage on /.

PT Barnum

(start rant) I'm sorry this story i... (none / 0) (#22)
by AArthur on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 12:38:33 AM EST

AArthur voted -1 on this story.

(start rant) I'm sorry this story is crap. It's been all over Slashdot and LinuxToday already, so most of the readers here have already seen it. Plus, Ogg Vorbis has been around for quite a while now (I first heard about it in the Fall of '99), eventhough it's approaching the freeze for the 1.0 release now.

Some orginal content please!!! (end rant)

Andrew B. Arthur | aarthur@imaclinux.net | http://hvcc.edu/~aa310264

yawn. heard it before. repeatedly. ... (none / 0) (#3)
by fvw on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 12:45:39 AM EST

fvw voted -1 on this story.

yawn. heard it before. repeatedly. (And I assume (nearly) everyone else has too).

Hmmm..another article from Slashdot... (none / 0) (#31)
by brotherhayashi on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 01:14:56 AM EST

brotherhayashi voted 1 on this story.

Hmmm..another article from Slashdot :-) This sounds cool once all of the bugs are worked out and the compression algorithms get more efficent. Quite honestly, though, I don't see anything wrong with the quality of 128 kb/s MP3s. Maybe my ears just suck :-)

Re: Hmmm..another article from Slashdot... (none / 0) (#40)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Jun 19, 2000 at 05:31:55 AM EST

There's a BIG difference! MP3 is not free (nor as in beer, nor as in speech.).

We are not paying for it right now. But the cash in is starting.

I hope the old Vorbis will do it right with better compression ratio than wma. But in any case just being free will be Ok.

Odd-sounding name, but very cool an... (none / 0) (#5)
by Pelorat on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 01:47:18 AM EST

Pelorat voted 1 on this story.

Odd-sounding name, but very cool anyway!

Yes, Xiph and everything they do is... (none / 0) (#19)
by Fyndalf on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 02:54:59 AM EST

Fyndalf voted -1 on this story.

Yes, Xiph and everything they do is immensely kewl. No, it is not news just because cnet suddenly pays attention to it, it has been around for a while.

We've already discussed Vorbis on h... (5.00 / 1) (#9)
by Dacta on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 07:54:31 AM EST

Dacta voted -1 on this story.

We've already discussed Vorbis on here a while (3 months or so?) ago, I think

Perhaps we could wait until (a) we don't have to copy a story off Slashdot and (b) there is actually something new to discuss.

More writeup, damnit!... (none / 0) (#13)
by inspire on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 08:59:31 AM EST

inspire voted -1 on this story.

More writeup, damnit!
What is the helix?

This is old news. People here shoul... (none / 0) (#4)
by ironside on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 08:59:34 AM EST

ironside voted -1 on this story.

This is old news. People here should not read about these things after they reach the mainstream press.

This has been around for a _long_ t... (none / 0) (#23)
by jmcneill on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 10:14:50 AM EST

jmcneill voted -1 on this story.

This has been around for a _long_ time, definitely not news.
``Of course it runs NetBSD.''

Yeah, it's on slashdot, but it's a ... (none / 0) (#32)
by stalepez on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 12:06:19 PM EST

stalepez voted 1 on this story.

Yeah, it's on slashdot, but it's a story that could help a lot of people understand just what mp3 is - and who it belongs to.

been around sence i386's (although ... (none / 0) (#14)
by confidential on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 12:29:51 PM EST

confidential voted -1 on this story.

been around sence i386's (although not widely circulated) and just featured on slashdot the other day. I dont think we need a rehash

It's already on slasdhot.... (none / 0) (#26)
by Bernie Fsckinner on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 12:46:29 PM EST

Bernie Fsckinner voted 0 on this story.

It's already on slasdhot.

Re: It's already on slasdhot.... (none / 0) (#37)
by Aztech on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 01:03:52 PM EST

I did actually originally post this hours before it appeared on slashdot, but it has been sitting around in the voting process for a couple of days ... so obviously by now it appears to be old news.

This is, IMHO, great news. I think ... (none / 0) (#6)
by Skippy on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 12:58:13 PM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

This is, IMHO, great news. I think its old news, but I guess there are people out there who haven't heard about it. When this format has had its planned optimization period it should kick ass. Until then, I'll probably keep using .mp3

And it's being done by a bunch of P... (none / 0) (#18)
by Arkady on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 01:13:54 PM EST

Arkady voted 1 on this story.

And it's being done by a bunch of Pterry Pratchett fans too. Neat!

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere Anarchy is loosed upon the world.

Re: And it's being done by a bunch of P... (none / 0) (#38)
by rusty on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 09:24:54 PM EST

Woo hoo! I've been working through Pratchett's back catalog for a few weeks now-- just read Small Gods in fact, and I had this feeling that that name was tugging at me from somewhere. Too bad the Discworld books only take ~1 night to read, but good thing there's so many of them! Pratchett is, without a doubt, one of the best writers working today, and its too bad he doesn't get (a LOT) more mainstream readers. Discworld unfortunately looks like every other crappy fantasy series on the shelves... why don't they label them with big bold words to the effect of: "NOTE: THESE BOOKS ARE GOOD, AND WILL NOT MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE A PIMPLY TEENAGER AGAIN!"

Anyway, anyone reading this who hasn't encountered Pratchett or Discworld yet-- think Douglas Adams meets Harry Potter, basically. They just rock like Gibralter. Especially try "The Last Continent" and "Small Gods", and then get his collaboration with Neil Gaiman, "Good Omens" .

____
Not the real rusty

Re: And it's being done by a bunch of P... (none / 0) (#39)
by Arkady on Mon Jun 19, 2000 at 12:33:10 AM EST

What I think is the REALLY amazing thing about the Discworld books is that there are more than 20 of them and they just keep getting better. While I think "Small Gods" is probably my favorite, the most recent ("Carpe Jugulum" and "The Fifth Elephant") are incredible. I don't know of any other author who can stay good at 3-5 books (and _don't_ say Piers Anthony ... I just hope Rawling can maintain for 7), but Pterry just keeps improving. It's astounding.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere Anarchy is loosed upon the world.

Open software will make most propri... (none / 0) (#35)
by Bart Meerdink on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 03:03:04 PM EST

Bart Meerdink voted 1 on this story.

Open software will make most proprietary software redundant, the trend has only just started. It is a prime example of an ever continuing self-improving process. As (cooperative) software developement gets more sophisticated over time, commercial software will typically occupy specialized niches, rather than mainstream applications.

Good linkage, pertinent, timely. W... (none / 0) (#33)
by 3than on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 03:50:46 PM EST

3than voted 1 on this story.

Good linkage, pertinent, timely. Would have been better yesterday, but post it already.

This is cool, but it's been on Slas... (none / 0) (#7)
by mattdm on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 04:12:02 PM EST

mattdm voted -1 on this story.

This is cool, but it's been on Slashdot many times and is generally old news. I don't mind overlaps with Slashdot for current news items, but there's no particular point in rehashing old stuff here as well, at least not without adding some value.

Interesting, a royalty-free alterna... (none / 0) (#27)
by Oscarfish on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 07:41:18 PM EST

Oscarfish voted 1 on this story.

Interesting, a royalty-free alternative to MP3 compression. I understand this is a very early version, and there's much room for improvement in the compression structure.

---------

Some people think I'm a sellout for placing ads on my site. Fsck them.

This is old news that's finally get... (3.00 / 1) (#15)
by dave0 on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 09:28:59 PM EST

dave0 voted -1 on this story.

This is old news that's finally getting mainstream publicity. And it doesn't generate any discussion, it's just link propogation!

I don't read slashdot... (none / 0) (#41)
by conner_bw on Mon Jun 19, 2000 at 10:11:04 AM EST

Any news please... I don't read slashdot.

Coders prepare new, free alternative to the MP3 format. | 41 comments (41 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)