ShouldExist.org: Idea Exchange Environment

By mebreathing in News
Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 07:44:55 PM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

ShouldExist.org is an idea exchange environment, where users post good ideas and then talk about them. One such idea is about the possibility of extending mp3 or id3 to contain tracks, so whole albums could be encoded into a single mp3, making them easier to find and eliminating skips between tracks. Another idea involves the new DivX codec, and making clickable mpegs that link to URLs of affiliate programs, so movie companies can release movies for free and then make their money by taking a percentage of the profits from all the consumption they induce.

Should people just give their ideas away? What affects would free exchange of good ideas have on the world we live in? Can ideas be owned by someone? Legally? Ethically?

[note: this is of course shameless self-promotion as I am the site's creator, so if this is inappropriate, just vote it down. i think it's an interesting discussion though. another interesting discussion is how should sites that allow member sumbissions like k5 and ShouldExist handle shameless self-promotion? ...but that's another discussion.]

o ShouldExis t.org
o extending mp3 or id3
o DivX codec
o Also by mebreathing

ShouldExist.org: Idea Exchange Environment | 24 comments (24 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Excellent stuff! Hope the site is ... (none / 0) (#9)
by _cbj on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 09:17:49 PM EST

_cbj voted 1 on this story.

Excellent stuff! Hope the site is successful. Brief comments... Should people just give their ideas away? Definitely. Unreservedly. That way lies the future of humanity, if we have enough good people in the world. What affects would free exchange of good ideas have on the world we live in? Socialism. Might scare the rednecks, but that's surely the future. It's also the true Christian way, once you dismiss the negative connotations born from the last couple of thousand years and concentrate on the being nice to each other bit. Excellent!

I actually am a fan of self-promoti... (none / 0) (#10)
by eries on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 09:19:23 PM EST

eries voted -1 on this story.

I actually am a fan of self-promotion, and I have found that .sig advertising on /. (for instance) has been a really effective way of letting people know about our product. Maybe we need a separate section for self-promotion submissions? I don't think it's really that appropriate for front-page stuff.
Promoting open-source OO code reuse on the web: the Enzyme open-source project

this is interesting. i like the Di... (none / 0) (#19)
by aint on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 09:22:53 PM EST

aint voted 1 on this story.

this is interesting. i like the DivX ;) post.
-- .sig -- did i overlook something? tell me, i love to learn.

There should be more articles that ... (3.00 / 1) (#7)
by End on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 10:19:58 PM EST

End voted -1 on this story.

There should be more articles that can promote discussion without having a link to some special website as the basis for that discussion.

However, since this trend seems unstoppable, here's a time-saving template for you all to use when creating articles:

"I just saw an [article/website] at <U>www.blahblahblah.com</u> about [napster/lawsuits/MS/patents/zany-science-idea]. [insert synopsis of article here.]"

"What do you guys think? Should this be possible? What effects would it have? [insert other obligatory thoughtful questions]"

Optional: "I [started the website/wrote the article/own stock in the company/foresaw this trend in my book] so [standard disclaimer]."

-JD

Re: There should be more articles that ... (3.00 / 1) (#20)
by Fish on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 09:50:59 PM EST

Cmdr Taco always puts up some lame comment like "what do you guys think?" - i.e. can't even be bothered to make an opinionated comment about it, might generate a few posts.

I'm glad to see that Kuro5hin seems to be getting away from the one-paragraph articles with a link and a lame "this sounds cool guys, check it out!" comment from a moderator ... nice to see some longish articles appearing in the submission queue. Thought-out article, reasoned discussion, I like it!

This belongs here. Interesting new ... (2.50 / 2) (#17)
by Eloquence on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 10:28:31 PM EST

Eloquence voted 1 on this story.

This belongs here. Interesting new (!) concepts for websites belong here. I think it's a great idea and I've been pondering with similar thoughts. You haven't really coded much by yourself, though :-). If you want some work to do, improve the system with better searchability and the possibility to "register" for participation in a project (since you have to create an account anyway, this shouldn't be a biggie). On this basis, you can also create a closed forum&chat that can only be visited by the people who have registered an idea. Projects could be listed by their popularity, and by their rating-either by an individual person or by all persons (an idea might be great, but no people are there to do it, or I might just see where there's really something going on already and list the projects by their size).

Such a site should not only be a forum for ideas, it should also do everything to get people together to make projects out of these ideas. I have more ideas (!) how this could be done, and if you're interested, mail me at moellerREMOVE@THISscireview.de
Copyright law is bad: infoAnarchy Pleasure is good: Origins of Violence
spread the word!

We've had this before! ... (none / 0) (#6)
by inspire on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 10:39:29 PM EST

inspire voted -1 on this story.

We've had this before!
What is the helix?

+1 Neat Idea ... (none / 0) (#11)
by adamsc on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 11:39:50 PM EST

adamsc voted -1 on this story.

+1 Neat Idea -1 Shotgun approach to raising issues -1 Poor execution on site with lame ideas

Seems to be some overlap with K5, s... (none / 0) (#13)
by bigdogs on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 11:42:27 PM EST

bigdogs voted -1 on this story.

Seems to be some overlap with K5, so I'm voting it down.

interesting idea...... (none / 0) (#14)
by hurstdog on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 12:23:16 AM EST

hurstdog voted 1 on this story.

interesting idea...

Re: interesting idea...... (none / 0) (#22)
by Anonymous Hero on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 10:31:19 PM EST

me too!

I really want to vote 1 but I think... (none / 0) (#3)
by Anonymous 242 on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 01:38:50 AM EST

lee_malatesta voted 0 on this story.

I really want to vote 1 but I think this ought to have a better write up. I think the write up would be adequate from someone that just happened to come across the site, but coming from the person that created the site, I think that the write up would do well to explore some of the questions he or she asked in the write up.

BTW, I think the site is great idea, but I wonder how practical it is under the way things are. Givin ideas away is (under the current patent system) like giving away money.

I don't know if this is the way things ought to be, but it is the way things are....

Here's how to shamelessly self-prom... (3.00 / 1) (#4)
by bobsquatch on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 02:58:49 AM EST

bobsquatch voted -1 on this story.

Here's how to shamelessly self-promote: <DL> <DT>1. Decide what your web site does. Extract that larger theme... there's your title. "Idea Exchange Environment" is close, "Economics and Mechanics of Idea Exchange" might be better. <DT>2. Write up a general introduction to the problem. Your second paragraph is a good start; flesh it out and make it the first paragraph. <DT>3. "For example, check out SiteIWannaPromote.com, SomeCompetingSite.com, and AThirdAlternative.com." Yes, mention your competitors, if you have any. You might as well, since the comments (if your story is accepted) will have links to your competitors anyway. You get bonus points for being first to acknowledge your competition. </DL> Remember: the whole point is to spark a conversation about the stuff that your site does. The point is not to get drones to click on your link.

Re: Here's how to shamelessly self-prom... (none / 0) (#23)
by bobsquatch on Mon Jun 19, 2000 at 01:57:46 AM EST

Hmm. <DL> and its children aren't allowed, it seems... yep, they're not in the allowed list. Oh, well.

The allowed HTML list should probably go on the moderate-submissions page, so goofballs like me won't make the same mistake once.

Interesting subject. I don't mind t... (4.00 / 1) (#18)
by Bart Meerdink on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 05:00:33 AM EST

Bart Meerdink voted 1 on this story.

Interesting subject. I don't mind the plug for ShouldExist.org, although I doubt it's name is true. Ideas build upon ideas, and generally improve by open and timely discussion. I would say: let everyone contribute the best (s)he has, holding nothing back. Some questions I have (sorry, being from Europe, I may be ignorant by US standards): - Are freely expressed (new) ideas in the public domain ever after, or can they be 'hijacked' (patented by someone else)? - Does copyright apply only to the way the idea is expressed, or to the idea itself? In what category would, say, an algorithm fall? Can anyone use it just like that, or would that be a violation of copyright? - Does the answer to the above depend on the country you're in, and if it does, how does this fit in with the international character of the internet?

Ehh.... (none / 0) (#2)
by Pelorat on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 09:42:03 AM EST

Pelorat voted 0 on this story.

Ehh.

Re: Ehh.... (none / 0) (#21)
by Anonymous Hero on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 10:29:48 PM EST