Government firm snooping on Microsoft

By skim123 in News
Mon Jun 19, 2000 at 10:32:36 AM EST
Tags: Politics (all tags)
Politics

I know, I know... not another Microsoft post... but, this one, I think, is interesting. According to Wired News in an article Who's Digging Up Dirt on Microsoft, a company identified as IGI (which has close ties to the White House) has been caught offering janitors money for trashed documents from the Association for Competitive Technology, a Microsoft-supported group that opposes the break-up. One has to wonder how often corporate espionage occurs. Anyone have any experiences with such shady actions at their own place of employement?

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad

o Who's Digging Up Dirt on Microsoft
o Also by skim123

Government firm snooping on Microsoft | 19 comments (19 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
not another Microsoft post... (none / 0) (#4)
by mattc on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 10:28:17 PM EST

mattc voted -1 on this story.

not another Microsoft post

TOS, Microsoft post, MLP... Three s... (none / 0) (#10)
by inspire on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 10:41:17 PM EST

inspire voted -1 on this story.

TOS, Microsoft post, MLP... Three strikes?
What is the helix?

+1, screw the man; -1, it's from wi... (none / 0) (#16)
by 31: on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 11:03:41 PM EST

31: voted 0 on this story.

+1, screw the man; -1, it's from wired; -1, because yes, it is another microsoft post

-Patrick

if you do have experience with that... (none / 0) (#18)
by hurstdog on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 12:21:57 AM EST

hurstdog voted 1 on this story.

if you do have experience with that kind of stuff I hope you don't post what company you work for or post anon. for your sake! ;)

bfd. this happens all the time, wh... (none / 0) (#6)
by Anonymous 242 on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 01:33:36 AM EST

lee_malatesta voted -1 on this story.

bfd. this happens all the time, which is why the company i'm on site at has three sets of trash cans. trash. recylclables. to shred......

yeah, I routinely engage in corpora... (none / 0) (#15)
by eries on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 02:46:41 AM EST

eries voted 0 on this story.

yeah, I routinely engage in corporate espionage. Hey, this forum is anonmous right? ;)
Promoting open-source OO code reuse on the web: the Enzyme open-source project

Nope, I haven't.... (none / 0) (#1)
by Fish on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 03:22:17 AM EST

Fish voted -1 on this story.

Nope, I haven't.

Voting +1 not because of the Micros... (none / 0) (#2)
by Demona on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 03:41:47 AM EST

Demona voted 1 on this story.

Voting +1 not because of the Microsoft connection, but for the general questions it raises and curiosity about how common such practices are.

I'd be interested to know how often... (none / 0) (#17)
by Toojays on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 05:30:02 AM EST

Toojays voted 1 on this story.

I'd be interested to know how often stuff like this happens at other companies, and what are the outcomes of it.

Ugh. I hope this doesn't help Micro... (none / 0) (#7)
by fluffy grue on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 05:53:31 AM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Ugh. I hope this doesn't help Microsoft to pull an OJ and claim that the investigation was botched or something. :/
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

I got the feeling most American cor... (none / 0) (#13)
by _cbj on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 07:24:55 AM EST

_cbj voted 0 on this story.

I got the feeling most American corporate espionage was conducted under the guise of NATO against foreign countries.

Corporate espionage occurs more oft... (none / 0) (#14)
by deimos on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 09:20:29 AM EST

deimos voted 1 on this story.

Corporate espionage occurs more often than the international flavor between companies. Surprised? No.
irc.kuro5hin.org: Good Monkeys, Great Typewriters.

Gosh, you mean the US Government hi... (2.00 / 1) (#5)
by Pelorat on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 09:39:20 AM EST

Pelorat voted -1 on this story.

Gosh, you mean the US Government hires people to investigate and snoop on other people?? Yow, stop the presses! =P

This happens all the time. ... (none / 0) (#19)
by wb on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 12:29:25 PM EST

wb voted 1 on this story.

This happens all the time. I think more of the dirt comes from people who get hired away from competing companies, this has happened where I work, and it's not even a big company like microsoft.

could be fun as much for fallout as... (none / 0) (#11)
by warpeightbot on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 03:24:11 PM EST

warpeightbot voted 1 on this story.

could be fun as much for fallout as for the news itself :)

Ah, industrial espionage! What fun... (none / 0) (#3)
by Slamtilt on Sun Jun 18, 2000 at 03:47:57 PM EST

Slamtilt voted 1 on this story.

Ah, industrial espionage! What fun!

Sure to come up with SOME kind of i... (none / 0) (#12)
by PurpleBob on Mon Jun 19, 2000 at 01:58:56 AM EST

PurpleBob voted 1 on this story.

Sure to come up with SOME kind of interesting discussion... conspiracy theorists, Microsoft-haters, Not-A-Lawyers (you know, the people who give legal opinions accompanied by IANAL) - this article's got something for everyone.

... (none / 0) (#9)
by Pseudonymous Coward on Mon Jun 19, 2000 at 02:42:32 AM EST

Pseudonymous Coward voted -1 on this story.

I know, I know... not another Microsoft post...

You took the words right outta my mouth.

Voted down because: MLP, simple newslink from a major news source, and the tiny "anyone else?" blurb is a poor substitute for actual discussion. If I want to read Wired News, I'll go there. If I want to read K5...

Heh, I wonder how serious M$ takes ... (none / 0) (#8)
by Neuromancer on Mon Jun 19, 2000 at 10:04:56 AM EST

Neuromancer voted 1 on this story.

Heh, I wonder how serious M$ takes security. I mean, look at NT. Heh, sorry, it had to be said. Read <a href="www.userfriendly.org>Userfriendly's take on their security model in the thread where they raid M$.

Government firm snooping on Microsoft | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)