K5 YAPC Get-Together

By rusty in News
Tue Jun 20, 2000 at 10:17:51 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

I'm on my way out to Pittsburgh this afternoon for YAPC (Yet Another Perl Conference) 19100, and I thought it might be fun to invite any readers who are going to be there to meet me and lachoy (my gracious Pittsburgh host) for dinner, drinks and/or general fun and amusement. The plan right now is to go to the Union Grill, at 413 S Craig St, around 8 on Wednesday night. You'll recognize me-- I'll be the one in the white baseball cap. Trust me, it'll be obvious. ;-)

I'll try to file a report or two from the conference, and also, I'll definitely be at the paintball tournament. I encourage everyone who's planning to be there to stay for paintball-- it'll be a blast, and you can tell your friends you got shot by rusty (or, um, shot me, but we won't consider that possibility).

Updates will appear below, as warranted. Hope to see some of you there!

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad

o YAPC (Yet Another Perl Conference) 19100
o paintball tournament
o Also by rusty

K5 YAPC Get-Together | 25 comments (8 topical, 17 editorial, 0 hidden)
No (3.00 / 1) (#5)
by Pelorat on Tue Jun 20, 2000 at 03:17:11 PM EST

But an Announcements or Events box for this sort of thing on the righthand column would be just fine...

Heh (none / 0) (#7)
by Pelorat on Tue Jun 20, 2000 at 03:19:19 PM EST

Yeah yeah, topical, editorial, whatever.. forgot to set it =)

Not gonna be there, but... (1.00 / 1) (#13)
by fluffy grue on Tue Jun 20, 2000 at 03:55:28 PM EST

I'm not going to be at YAPC, but this is still something that other people might care about. (Personally, I don't think I'd ever go to any PERL-specific convention. Flame me all you want, but I hate PERL. :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Not gonna be there, but... (none / 0) (#22)
by Upologisths on Wed Jun 21, 2000 at 07:23:56 AM EST

Just curious...what do you prefer for parsing text files and the like?
In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite. - Dirac, Paul Adrien Maurice
Re: Not gonna be there, but... (none / 0) (#23)
by Paul Dunne on Thu Jun 22, 2000 at 01:37:43 PM EST

I embrace you (but in a manly kind of way), fellow AWK user!
Re: Not gonna be there, but... (none / 0) (#24)
by jlp on Thu Jun 22, 2000 at 10:49:53 PM EST

You can hate it all you want, but please get the name right: it's either Perl (the language) or perl (the program); *never* PERL.

west coast... (none / 0) (#19)
by mebreathing on Tue Jun 20, 2000 at 08:00:33 PM EST

damn, wish i was close.

Well I love the 19100 bit (none / 0) (#21)
by squigly on Wed Jun 21, 2000 at 03:28:54 AM EST

I wonder how long its going to be before we get tired of that joke, or before programmers stop understanding it. Hopefully in time for the YAPC 20100 conference,