ZDNet previews new car MP3 player

By Cryptnotic in News
Mon Jul 03, 2000 at 12:18:26 PM EST
Tags: Hardware (all tags)
Hardware

music.zdnet.com has this preview of a new car MP3 player by a company called PhatNoise. The player is controlled through a regular car stereo's CD changer control, so instead of replacing your car stereo like the Empeg player, it works in conjunction with it. The PhatNoise player uses an upgradable, removable hard drive for MP3 storage. The player was announced at last week's MP3.com summit, where it won the Best of the Show award. I'm interested in hearing what the K5 readers opinions on this device is.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad

o ZDNet
o music.zdne t.com
o preview
o PhatNoise
o Empeg player
o won the Best of the Show award
o Also by Cryptnotic

ZDNet previews new car MP3 player | 18 comments (12 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)
Removable hard disk? (none / 0) (#1)
by kmself on Fri Jun 30, 2000 at 11:20:57 PM EST

...that gives me the willies. First thing comes to mind is Iomega's Jaz drive. And then whatever broken piece of a data loss solution had preceeded it. That god damned piece of crap has caused me more frustration, lost time, and data, than any other single component of my system.

I'll grant that losing the portable version of a set of MP3s I've probably got archived elsewhere isn't going to bum my high to quite the same extent, but I'm very leary of anything which attempts to put Winchester drive technology in a portable package.

Details, anyone, or am I overreacting here?

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Re: Removable hard disk? (none / 0) (#2)
by Cryptnotic on Sat Jul 01, 2000 at 12:09:30 AM EST

The Iomega Jaz drives just plain suck. Everyone has problems with them. I think however, that the PhatNoise guys are using just a standard laptop computer hard drive.

Minidisc (3.20 / 4) (#4)
by hattig on Sat Jul 01, 2000 at 10:10:41 AM EST

And what is wrong with Minidisc? Cheap media, cheap players. MP3 is expensive - expensive media, expensive players. Personally, I would record the output of a computer based MP3 player onto Minidisc. 74 minutes of storage on a 1.50 disc. Better than 60 minutes of storage on a 70 pound SmartMedia.

Even the hard drive based players don't come out that much better. 200 for a 10Gb disk, which holds 150 hours of music. 1.25 per hour, pretty similar to the Mididisc, which is more fun, and not limited to in car use.

The greatest hope is the CD-R MP3 systems. 10 hours of music on a 0.50 disk is good, although bulky. The Mini-CD format looks quite interesting - 150Mb on a 7cm CDRW that is fully compatible with the current CD standard. Sony have a Mavica coming out using these disks.

All my personal opinion of course. In a few years the price will have come down, and the format will be viable. But until I can get 128Mb of non-volatile storage for 2 to use in a small player, I don't care.

Re: Minidisc (5.00 / 1) (#15)
by Cryptnotic on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 03:12:04 AM EST

Yeah, but with MD, you'd have to shuffle through 150 discs to find what you want... at the same thime, you could hold all of those songs on a 10gb disk.

Re: Minidisc vs MP3 (5.00 / 1) (#17)
by zagor on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 04:19:08 AM EST

Uhh, reality check. 150 hours on a 10GB disk amounts to 6.8 megs per minute, i.e. uncompressed CD data. Using real world numbers, 192 kbps MP3 songs take up 1.5MB per minute, giving 682 hours of music on a 10GB disk. For 200 per disk, that's 0.29 per hour or a fifth of the price of MD.

To Hell with that! CAJUN! (5.00 / 2) (#10)
by TheLocust on Mon Jul 03, 2000 at 02:08:09 PM EST

Check CAJUN, a Linux MP3 system that has output for an LCD screen, it can use LiRC (Linux Infra-Red Control), etc. I'm building one now for prolly less that $300, which includes a 30 gig drive (enough space to MP3-alize all of my 220+ CDs at 192kbps. (And the thing is portable, too, i'm building it in an aluminum sided cool-looking tool case). DIY!
.......o- thelocust -o.........
ignorant people speak of people
average people speak of events
great people speak of ideas

Re: To Hell with that! CAJUN! (1.00 / 1) (#12)
by dannyboy on Mon Jul 03, 2000 at 05:07:48 PM EST

Now that's neat.

Re: To Hell with that! CAJUN! (4.00 / 1) (#16)
by Cryptnotic on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 03:15:37 AM EST

It'll cost you more than $300.

flash (4.00 / 2) (#11)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Jul 03, 2000 at 04:23:09 PM EST

A flash-only web page is a blank web page to me. I guess I won't be buying one of those.

Re: flash (none / 0) (#18)
by Paradox on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 06:09:22 PM EST

Wasn't blank that long for me, and I don't have any flash plugins at the moment. I dunno why people complain about this, there is a set of perfectly good flash plugins for linux netscape.
Dave "Paradox" Fayram

print print join q( ), split(q,q,,reverse qq;#qsti
qq)\;qlre;.q.pqevolqiqdog.);#1 reason to grin at Perl
print "\n";
Big deal (3.00 / 1) (#13)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Jul 03, 2000 at 09:17:30 PM EST

Personally, I'm much more interested in the in-dash CD players which support playback of CD-Rs of mp3s. Lots of people make them now, including some big brands like Kenwood. Check out the latest Crutchfield catalog to see some of 'em.

Kenwood doesn't get it (3.00 / 1) (#14)
by Anonymous Hero on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 02:41:14 AM EST

Yeah, and as neat as the Kenwood deck sounds, it doesn't support ID3 tags and only 8.3 filenames. Don't hope for much from the big boys -- look at the Sony (big consumer elec.) memory stick thing and the Diamond (little graphic card) Rio... I think "independent" efforts such as PhatNoise will offer the most desired stuff.