Last Thursday we had a thunderstorm in the area. As far as I can figure out, the ISP lost power about 7:30 for about an hour. After the UPS batteries drained all the servers went out till the power went on. Everything eventually came back up as it should except for the scoop module.
That, of course, started a harrowing trouble-shooting session, which, due to the fact that I was working and out for most of the weekend, and evenings seemed to go slowely and take forever. I started out by checking the configuration, and moved on to trying the current CVS version, then the last good tarball (0.5.1). I then reinstalled all the perl modules. After that I used ./dbnuke to create a new database to test against.
Things looked up Wednesday, when perchance chatting with SgtPepper he pointed out that in httpd.conf, PerlSetEnv was changed to PerlSetVar. Something that I overlooked all week as I eyed both my httpd.conf and the sample httpd.conf. SgtPepper, of course, used diff :)
Anyways, I'm posting this to point out several things. One, use diff. Two, you may think that you can't help out because you're a newbie, can't problem, don't know perl, or whatever. Look at SgtPepper, he's a newbie, and now he gets his name in a K5 story :) (With many eyeballs, all bugs are shallow - some prehistoric wizard) Three, #kuro5hin is your friend. Fourth, many of you have tried to get to the sites, and want to know when they are back up, and what on earth happened. This is for you...