Tales of Horror, Tales of Woe

By bmetzler in News
Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 05:42:27 PM EST
Tags: Scoop (all tags)
Scoop

About a week ago, many of you noticed that scoop.kuro5hin.org and also www.geeky.org developed an annoying server error. Well, everything should be back up now with the added benefit of running the latest CVS version of scoop.

Last Thursday we had a thunderstorm in the area. As far as I can figure out, the ISP lost power about 7:30 for about an hour. After the UPS batteries drained all the servers went out till the power went on. Everything eventually came back up as it should except for the scoop module.

That, of course, started a harrowing trouble-shooting session, which, due to the fact that I was working and out for most of the weekend, and evenings seemed to go slowely and take forever. I started out by checking the configuration, and moved on to trying the current CVS version, then the last good tarball (0.5.1). I then reinstalled all the perl modules. After that I used ./dbnuke to create a new database to test against.

Things looked up Wednesday, when perchance chatting with SgtPepper he pointed out that in httpd.conf, PerlSetEnv was changed to PerlSetVar. Something that I overlooked all week as I eyed both my httpd.conf and the sample httpd.conf. SgtPepper, of course, used diff :)

Anyways, I'm posting this to point out several things. One, use diff. Two, you may think that you can't help out because you're a newbie, can't problem, don't know perl, or whatever. Look at SgtPepper, he's a newbie, and now he gets his name in a K5 story :) (With many eyeballs, all bugs are shallow - some prehistoric wizard) Three, #kuro5hin is your friend. Fourth, many of you have tried to get to the sites, and want to know when they are back up, and what on earth happened. This is for you...

o Kuro5hin
o Scoop
o scoop.kuro 5hin.org
o www.geeky. org
o SgtPepper
o #kuro5hin
o Also by bmetzler

Tales of Horror, Tales of Woe | 12 comments (12 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Well spoken, with good accent and d... (none / 0) (#2)
by End on Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 02:19:27 PM EST

End voted 1 on this story.

Well spoken, with good accent and discretion!

-JD

Whoah. You fixed it. There's still ... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 02:34:35 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

Whoah. You fixed it. There's still problems with the CVS Scoop, but apparently they aren't as bad as I thought they were. Well, that's a load off my mind. :-)

BTW: As if anyone didn't know already, but we are always extremely glad to have help hacking on Scoop. It ought to be easier now that the main dev site works again. But if you have ideas, please contribute! :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Comeon, it's got my name in it, how... (none / 0) (#3)
by SgtPepper on Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 02:34:58 PM EST

SgtPepper voted 1 on this story.

Comeon, it's got my name in it, how could I NOT vote for it. FWIW I just downloaded the CVS YESTERDAY, so it goes to show, anyone really can help out :)

Fourth paragraph. Should be "Wedne... (none / 0) (#8)
by freakazoid on Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 04:17:25 PM EST

freakazoid voted 1 on this story.

Fourth paragraph. Should be "Wednesday."

Hrm. As someone mentioned earlier -... (none / 0) (#4)
by tidepool on Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 05:14:36 PM EST

tidepool voted -1 on this story.

Hrm. As someone mentioned earlier - scoop articles should be on the scoop website. While many people that use scoop may read k5, the opposite is not always true.

If people were concerned about scoop.kuro5hin.org and / or geeky.org being down, they would have continued to try to access the sites. When the sites were once again operational, they could read why they were down. A 3rd party is not necessary (nor wanted by many k5 readers).

Re: Hrm. As someone mentioned earlier -... (none / 0) (#12)
by bmetzler on Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 11:47:47 PM EST

(nor wanted by many k5 readers)

It seems that enough wanted it here or it wouldn't have been posted. Actually, I wasn't going to post it, but was asked to by some of the readership. Now everyone knows that it's back up, and why it was down, and no one can say that the now Kuro5hin, Inc. is trying to hide anything :) I have nothing to do with Kuro5hin, Inc.

-Brent
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.
I felt worse after spending ~5 hour... (none / 0) (#7)
by nuntius on Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 05:17:10 PM EST

nuntius voted 1 on this story.

I felt worse after spending ~5 hours only to realize that O's and 0's looked the same in the particular terminal font I was using.

Heh, its nice that general 'site in... (none / 0) (#6)
by Nick Ives on Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 05:24:38 PM EST

Nick Ives voted 1 on this story.

Heh, its nice that general 'site information' storys get put in the que just like every other story. 99% of the time I should imagine that they'll eventually reach the front page, but, well, nice to know that you guys stick to the rules =) -- Nick

Re: Heh, its nice that general 'site in... (none / 0) (#9)
by rusty on Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 06:11:17 PM EST

Actually, bmetzler isn't an admin. Me, Inoshiro, and lachoy (who never posts) are the only ones who could bypass the que if we wanted to. But we never do. :-)

bmetzler is our much beloved volunteer scoop.kuro5hin.org admin, but has no actual admin privileges here.

____
Not the real rusty

That's nice but scoop dev news belo... (2.00 / 2) (#5)
by Anonymous Zero on Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 05:26:38 PM EST

Anonymous Zero voted -1 on this story.

That's nice but scoop dev news belongs on scoop.kiro5hin.org

dumb q (none / 0) (#10)
by duxup on Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 06:43:59 PM EST

What is the difference between geeky.org and kuro5hin.org?

Re: dumb q (none / 0) (#11)
by End on Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 07:39:48 PM EST

geeky.org is a site for more obscure yet interesting geek news, and it happens to use scoop. "All things geek" means coverage of more than just computer software and the internet. Also, the site will almost never run articles about lawsuits, patents, GPL violations or napster.

-JD

Tales of Horror, Tales of Woe | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)