"Announcements and Brief Mentions" page for K5

By Snomed in News
Mon Jul 03, 2000 at 10:56:29 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Since the recent Nanodot.org article never made it to the main K5 page, I thought I'd indulge in a little unsolicited suggestion-giving. One of the reasons given for a (-1) vote on the Nanodot story (and other stories recently) was that it was just an announcement of a web site, not a news article that merited community discussion. This is fair and accurate criticism, and yet simple little announcements of web sites like Nanodot (or other simple announcements) deserve mention somewhere. Otherwise we'd miss out on worthwhile information.

So, how about this: A K5 "Announcement and Brief Mentions" page. The items posted in this section wouldn't show up on the main page. They would be much briefer than normal K5 articles -- a few sentences and a link or two. They probably wouldn't generate much discussion either. And yet, they would provide useful information, that you wouldn't find in mainstream media. I know I really like scanning brief items of interest, just to let me know, on a superficial level, about new things going on. If K5 implements this idea, maybe different voting criteria than for normal articles would be appropriate for these items.

This would be something like the Slashdot Quickies, except for three things: (1) The Quickies are too brief, so you usually don't even know what they're about unless you follow the link. (2) The Quickies don't have their own Slashdot "Section" like Interviews, YRO, Science, etc. That means you can't click on a link and review all the Quickies in the the past few months or so. (3) The Quickies are often selected primarily for entertainment value, rather than "news you can use." The Quickies have their own value, but this "Announcements and Brief Mentions" page on K5 would be unique, and you could easily refer back to it a few months later, when you vaguely remember seeing something about Topic X, but can't remember anything about it.

o Slashdot
o Also by Snomed

"Announcements and Brief Mentions" page for K5 | 17 comments (13 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)
As long as they behave like articles... Is that th (2.50 / 2) (#1)
by jrimmer on Mon Jul 03, 2000 at 06:10:08 PM EST

As long as they're cross-linked with the proper section so that browsing a section yields all the available information... and to maintain the community nature of the site they'd have to commentable... and then after you've made those 2 choices they don't look any different from a normal article. This feature needs to be better thought through. I agree that Slashdot's quickies aren't the solution either.

Re: As long as they behave like articles... Is tha (4.70 / 3) (#6)
by Eimi on Mon Jul 03, 2000 at 07:43:24 PM EST

As far as I see it, the main difference isn't anything in the way they behave, but more social, what is acceptable there. Seems like a good soln to the MLP problem to me.

Implementation suggestion (4.30 / 7) (#3)
by baka_boy on Mon Jul 03, 2000 at 06:48:36 PM EST

How about making the 'Announcements' and 'Quickies' a part of the sidebar, much like the articles are listed now? Put several major subject headings in that right-hand panel, then list the most recent postings directly beneath it. Below, put a link to the full (summary view) listing for that topic area. Keeps the front page free from those items that aren't necessarily intended to be real conversation starters, but still makes them noticeable and accessible to everyone who visits the page.

Re: Implementation suggestion (none / 0) (#15)
by Nyarlathotep on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 02:39:31 PM EST

This is the best solution I've seen mentioned. It would also force people who have nothing to say to keep it to just a link or get their story killed.
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!
Good idea (none / 0) (#8)
by psy on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 04:30:37 AM EST

If it contained links to articles and (updated) web-sites with a succinct description, it could be a very useful resource. The sidebar idea seems good -especially if it could be toggled on/off in the prefs. I personally, do not want to see a list of 'funnies' on k5.

Re: Good idea (5.00 / 1) (#14)
by Eimi on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 01:58:23 PM EST

Actually, that brings up a good point: not all MLP is the same. I can think of at least three different kinds off the top of my head. One is interesting new/updated projects (the Ogg Vorbis stuff, but not until there's real news about it). Sort of a culled freshmeat, but only including the ones of real interest (instead of just "Gorfin 0.2.1.7 is out. It fixes a misspelling of the author's name in the README"). The second kind is website announcements, like nanodot. The third would be the funny things. I can certainly see ppl liking one or two but not all of the categories (personally I enjoy them all, but I would like having them separated so I can read them at different times, depending on mood, etc).

A new twist on a recurring theme (3.00 / 5) (#9)
by Rasputin on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 09:02:14 AM EST

I was giving this some thought and I think I have the start of a solution. Currently, the K5 front page is intended for stories with a little meat and room for comment. I believe the site might quickly start to get unmanageable if we try to be all things to all people by adding a sidebar of MLP's, quickies, etc. If nothing else, it starts to get crowded and a bit large for those people without some type of high speed connection. Also, the more we try to stuff into the main page, the more people will ask for.

My thought was maybe we could go with a parallel site, quickies.kuro5hin.org. Same code base, same basic format but primarily aimed at short stories, links etc. The main K5 site would then remain much as it is. The new site could become the home for links, blurbs about "neat to know" things that don't really lend themselves to a lot of discussion, etc. I realize this would be a little bit of an administrative burden for Rusty, but I think it's worth discussing.
Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.

Why I voted -1 (4.00 / 3) (#10)
by wb on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 09:30:42 AM EST

The reason I voted -1 was not because it was simply an announcement with link to the page, although that is also a good reason. I voted -1 because I have already heard/seen about that page in several other places days earlier, and felt like it didn't need to be rehashed.

yeah (1.00 / 2) (#11)
by Anonymous Hero on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 10:30:21 AM EST

it's called quickies section, is there one on K5 ?

'Quickies' Queue (2.00 / 1) (#12)
by jwsh on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 12:12:12 PM EST

Someone before mentioned a suggestion that when voting, you should be able to vote something into the quickies queue. I like that idea. It'd be nice if instead of just voting in one direction (post it / dump it) we could also vote in another direction (frontpage it / quickie it). If a vote got enough votes to get 'posted' but it ended up in the quickies quadrant then it would get queued for a weekly quickies posting. Every friday the system would post all the quickies queued for posting (or perhaps if the queue gets too big, it would post the top 10? or maybe it would only post when there are 10 waiting in the queue? a few different ways we could work it..)

Re: 'Quickies' Queue (none / 0) (#13)
by Eimi on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 01:49:21 PM EST

Well, having ppl vote quickie or main page is interesting, but I don't know that it's really that useful. Particularly if someone is only interested in meat, it would be nice to have the quickie section as just a separate queue (tho perhaps with fewer votes needed for acceptance). One thing I don't like about the way /. handle them, and you seem to be going with it, is collecting them and then sticking up a bunch at a time. I'd much rather each one be a separate "article" that gets posted as soon as it comes up. Ideally each would be 1-3 informative lines (not "JoeBlow47 sent us this weird link" but rather "Pictures of people destroying a car with a spud gun" or whatever), with a link.

Quickie auto detection (2.00 / 1) (#16)
by orthox on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 03:15:29 PM EST

It should be possible to detect a quickie, and automatically classify it as such.

As I can see there are two possibilities:
1) If no content is placed into the second text box it is a quickie.
2) If the total size of both (or even one) text boxesis lexx that xk then it is a qucikie.

Give quickies their own discussions! (5.00 / 1) (#17)
by Joe Groff on Wed Jul 05, 2000 at 08:15:28 PM EST

I agree with the above suggestions of having announcements, quickies etc. be different sections, with small indices on the sidebar. Just make sure each quickie gets its own discussion space, because the Slashdot quickie discussions become a jumbled mess of people talking about whatever quickie they like. Even if most of them may warrant maybe 2 or 3 comments, organization is still always a virtue.
How long must I travel on
to be just where you are?