OpenSource Comics!

By lx in News
Thu Jul 06, 2000 at 02:25:31 PM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

CommandPrompt.com has released this Fourth of July the World's first Open Source Comicbook, TermUnitX.

Parodying Microsoft, and Linux and BSD mascots, it reads like a cross between Snow Crash and the X-Men with the absurdity factor turned to 11.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad

o CommandPro mpt.com
o TermUnitX
o Also by lx

OpenSource Comics! | 25 comments (11 topical, 14 editorial, 0 hidden)
What license is this distributed under? (3.70 / 3) (#9)
by e7 on Tue Jul 04, 2000 at 07:18:49 PM EST

I couldn't find the terms of license anywhere. Just because they freely distribute the "source" :) doesn't mean it's Open Source.

The question is, can we extend and reuse the characters? commandprompt had better clarify this before they get caught in a legal loophole.

Re: What license is this distributed under? (5.00 / 1) (#12)
by scmmss on Wed Jul 05, 2000 at 06:12:11 AM EST

The licence is the Open Publication Licence. The Link on the Term Unit X site is here.
Matthew S. Shields BSc (hons), PhD student, Parallel and Scientific Computation Group, Dept of Computer Science, Cardiff University
Re: What license is this distributed under? (none / 0) (#13)
by e7 on Wed Jul 05, 2000 at 06:31:31 AM EST

Oops, guess I should try reading more carefully. (My excuse is that I've been on Slashdot too much recently ... stupidity is contagious)

Re: What license is this distributed under? (none / 0) (#22)
by waynem77 on Thu Jul 06, 2000 at 05:47:17 PM EST

That's not exactly what I'd call "open". The author gives permission to distribute the work on a non-profit basis (which is nice, mind you)... and that's it.

Cocked, over-clocked and ready to rock! (2.33 / 3) (#11)
by guppie on Wed Jul 05, 2000 at 04:53:52 AM EST

At last a super-cool, sci-fi cartoon online! For a while, the Net has been full of Dilbert/User Friendly-style cartoons, but I've always had to buy my dark sci-fi stuff out in the real world. Term Unit X could be start of a change...

What? The land of the free? Whoever told you that is your enemy.
-Zack de la Rocha
SO weird (3.70 / 3) (#19)
by 3than on Thu Jul 06, 2000 at 10:49:37 AM EST

Dude, that's just such weird self-righteous megalomania that it's got to get posted. I mean, really...the heroes are some sort of mutant tux and a freebsd Daemon...it's just SO wrong.
we do need a quickies section though. Badly. And also, it pisses me off that when you append a trailing / to the br tag, it messes up. I really think that the html tags should xhtml compliant, and that the examples should be lowercase.
whateva

We already have a 'procedure' for quickies (none / 0) (#21)
by End on Thu Jul 06, 2000 at 04:08:04 PM EST

K5 does not need a quickies section. If we really want to do something like that, you can just write up your own and put it under the [/etc] topic. If you have something that would fit under a quickies-style story but not enough items to warrant your own story, send 'em in to rusty or inoshiro and they can post them when they get enough.

I agree that a lot of these so-called stories should be put in a quickies-style story, but I don't think that it's important enough to warrant a structural change in the site.

-JD

community cartooning (2.00 / 1) (#20)
by del on Thu Jul 06, 2000 at 04:07:37 PM EST

The bench (thebench.org) is a collaborative comic strip that has been in existence for a few years now. some people might find it amusing.
how perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure
God that comic is soooooo bad... (1.00 / 2) (#23)
by Anonymous Hero on Fri Jul 07, 2000 at 07:43:04 AM EST

It is sooo lame!

disappointment (3.00 / 1) (#24)
by Anonymous 242 on Fri Jul 07, 2000 at 09:56:20 AM EST

The artwork was decent, but the writing left quite a bit to be desired. I haven't read a comic that poorly written in over a decade. I like the general concept, setting some mutant open source heros against commercial software houses that control the world (or parts of it), but all the spoonerisms and anagrams for names of the heros leaves me quite dry.

I long for the days when J O'Barr was releasing each episode of the Crow bit by tantalizing bit, always late, but the storyline was so captivating that the wait was worth it. Another one of my favorites was the old Grimjack series from Dark Horse. Not to mention Grendel kicked my ass all over the place.

I hope they drop the lame, narcissistic attempt at satire and write up a dark, dreary, meaningful and captivating story to go with the beautiful artwork they have.

Elucidation of Concept. (5.00 / 1) (#25)
by lx on Fri Jul 07, 2000 at 12:03:00 PM EST

Thanks everyone for your feedback, even negative. It's all appreciated. This is why issue zero was posted: to glean comments. Call it OpenComics RFC 001.

Please bear in mind that the "Beta" disclaimer is quite accurate and not just a joke. This comic is a single person's effort in the spare time of running a full-time documentation and development business. It's not written for me, but for those in the community who might appreciate it. That's why your feedback is so important. If you like the art, but would prefer a less simple-minded approach to the concept, let me know.

I'm glad that most of you at least enjoy the artwork, if not the admittedly simplistic and intentionally cliche-ridden (at this time) writing.

If anyone has ideas on what they would prefer to see in this book, do feel free to drop me a line, I am open to all suggestions and my idiom is certainly not limited to what has been explored in issue zero.
Are you ready to fight for your OS?
Term Unit X.

OpenSource Comics! | 25 comments (11 topical, 14 editorial, 0 hidden)