Wireless Inventor Al Gross dead at 82

By fossilcode in News
Tue Jan 16, 2001 at 08:51:41 AM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

The Associated Press reported yesterday that the father of wireless communication, Al Gross, died December 21 at the age of 82.

Gross is credited with the invention of the walkie-talkie during World War II, the wireless pager in 1949 and the wireless telephone in 1951.

When he demonstrated his first pager to doctors, they gave it a cold reception because it would interrupt their golf games.

While Gross' name isn't a household word, there is no question about the impact of his inventions on modern life. You can read the full text of the story here.

o Associated Press
o here
o Also by fossilcode

Wireless Inventor Al Gross dead at 82 | 26 comments (6 topical, 20 editorial, 0 hidden)
Beat me to it (2.50 / 2) (#19)
by Osiris on Mon Jan 15, 2001 at 09:32:45 PM EST

Man, people at work always joke about finding they guy who invented the pager, and doing [insert cruel and unusual punishment here] to him. Now I'll have to let them know it's too late.

hmmmmmm (1.50 / 2) (#21)
by jbridge21 on Tue Jan 16, 2001 at 01:49:12 AM EST

As Richard Stallman once said, the obituaries are usually MUCH more interesting than the birth notices.

Some info on Al Gross (5.00 / 4) (#22)
by ContinuousPark on Tue Jan 16, 2001 at 02:36:51 AM EST

Last year, he won the Lemelson-MIT Lifetime Achievement Award. This link has more details on the ceremony and leads to a quicktime video, some photos, and more details on his bio.

Oh, and the people complaining about obituaries in K5, if only they could justify their existence by doing just a tiny part of what these people did... but they can't.

Sad (3.00 / 1) (#24)
by codemonkey_uk on Tue Jan 16, 2001 at 08:58:04 AM EST

Its sad that recognition, like this, often only comes after death.

It at times like this that I wonder what will be said, if anything, about me when I die.
Thad

*humma* (1.50 / 2) (#25)
by chimera on Tue Jan 16, 2001 at 11:28:41 AM EST

ooh.. and I thought that read Al Gore.

Now, even though I think the story in itself is a sad thing, of course, as one has to see it being a human, I feel this joke is too good to let go of.
Objections will be acknowledged.

My own humble tribute.. (2.50 / 2) (#26)
by Dr Caleb on Tue Jan 16, 2001 at 10:26:32 PM EST

In retrospect to this story would be:

(Little Johnny on his walkie talkie) "Can you hear me? Am I coming through?"

It is sad that we never knew his name until now, but he had a great effect on out lives. I agree with Micheal Kamen; We shouldn't care so much about professional athletes, as they don't affect our lives. We should concentrate our affections on people such as this.

Vive Le Canada - For Canadians who give a shit about their country.

There is no K5 cabal.