15th IOCCC (Obfuscated C Code Contest) results!

By seebs in News
Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 06:27:00 PM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

The 15th annual IOCCC winners are now posted! Read on to see just how bad code can get.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad
The 15th annual IOCCC winners are now posted! The International Obfuscated C Code Contest is a mostly-annual contest in which code is written for unclarity. If you read C, you may enjoy this contest.

Obfuscated C is...
o Redundant. 16%
o Often called "C++". 33%
o Easier to read than Obfuscated Perl. 27%
o One of my hobbies. 1%
o Cleaner than the stuff I get paid to work with. 13%
o A waste of programmer time. 6%

o winners
o Internatio nal Obfuscated C Code Contest
o Also by seebs

15th IOCCC (Obfuscated C Code Contest) results! | 11 comments (7 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)
Genius in under 2K (3.50 / 2) (#3)
by Khalad on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 02:02:07 PM EST

Sigh... Every time I peruse the IOCCC archives I am humbled by the incredible amount of skill I will never, ever possess...

(By the way, can you figure out the common theme among the files I linked?)

You remind me why I still, deep in my bitter crusty broken heart, love K5. —rusty

i give up (none / 0) (#10)
by jeanlucpikachu on Tue Jan 30, 2001 at 10:55:14 PM EST

Please share?

And don't feel bad about not being able to write beautiful obfuscated code, as long as you enjoy what you're doing, it's all good, ya know?

Peace,
Capt. Jean-Luc Pikachu AIM: jeanlucpikachu
Re: i give up (none / 0) (#11)
by Khalad on Fri Feb 02, 2001 at 09:49:45 PM EST

Well, not so profound or clever as you might be trying to find... the thing all three have in common is that the layout of their source code is crucial for their meaning. The third program, the maze one, is quite sinister since its layout is not obviously important.

An even better example of this than the second link would be this one. Which is also by Brian Westley, his third consecutive "good god that's amazing!" program... He is my personal favorite contributor, and it's too bad he stopped contributing.

Poll choice (3.50 / 2) (#4)
by westgeof on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 03:32:47 PM EST

It's not quite true, but sometimes it does seem that the code I have to look through and debug at work is simply the runners-up from previous obfuscated C contests.

Working with seat-of-the-pants design legacy code, covered with more patches than a 50 year old sweater, and about 1 comment per 500 lines, I really do feel that way. A typical project consists of about a week or so trying to figure out what the code is supposed to be doing, about a day to find a fix, 30 seconds to fix it, and another day or two to compile.
(I definately miss college, where the most complicated program I had to look at consisted of about 20 files in a handul of directories....:-)

As a child, I wanted to know everything. Now I miss my ignorance
my sympathy (4.00 / 1) (#8)
by joto on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 08:02:06 PM EST

because it is exactly my situation as well. Except that I don't feel it is IOCCC entries, as they have a limit on byte-size.

Somewhat related. Its funny. Laugh. (4.25 / 4) (#7)
by GandalfGreyhame on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 04:45:14 PM EST

From The Quotable JLG:
Bill Gates: Since 1984, a contest has been held on usenet
for the most unreable, creative, bizzar, but working C program.
What is the name of this contest?

Moderator: Contest held on usenet for the most bizzar C program,
but one that works. Anybody want to give it a shot?
Going Once, going twice. Got nothing to loose, give it a shot
here somebody? (Ring) Alright, Jean-Louis Gassée...

Jean-Louis: Windows.

[Roar of Applause from audience]

- Computer Bowl, 1993

Local Hero (none / 0) (#9)
by codemonkey_uk on Tue Jan 30, 2001 at 04:26:10 AM EST

So, did anyone notice my winning entry?

(Pre built DOS/WIN32 binary here)

Opinions? Comments?