Y-2.001-K Problems

By Commodore Sloat in News
Sat Jan 06, 2001 at 03:18:04 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

Apparently the Y2K bug bit a year late in at least a couple of places. According to this story, Norway's state railway shut down on January 1 thanks to the bug, and the temporary solution was to set clocks back to December. And despite spending almost $9 million to squash the bug in time for Y2K, 7-Eleven Stores were also bitten in 2001. Any other Y2.001K problems out there?

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad

o this story
o bitten in 2001
o Also by Commodore Sloat

Y-2.001-K Problems | 22 comments (9 topical, 13 editorial, 0 hidden)
That's nothing (3.22 / 9) (#3)
by Signal 11 on Thu Jan 04, 2001 at 04:08:31 PM EST

My bank printed out a transaction log after I had questions about my account. The date-range they searched for my account was "100/09/04 to 101/01/04".

Society needs therapy. It's having
trouble accepting itself.
.pl? (3.00 / 2) (#11)
by J'raxis on Thu Jan 04, 2001 at 05:58:13 PM EST

Heh, isn't this how Perl stores dates? Everything is reckoned from 1900...

-- The Perl Raxis

[ J’raxis·Com | Liberty in your lifetime ]

NZ Screwups (3.00 / 2) (#10)
by Holloway on Thu Jan 04, 2001 at 05:25:07 PM EST

'National Bank' in New Zealand doubled up transactions occuring on saturday. Accounts didn't get back to normal until last night. There was also a problem with the dates of transactions, they recorded the 3rd on many that didn't occur that day. I'm told this dating error won't be fixed.

They're tight-lipped about whether this was a Y2k thing, though.

== Human's wear pants, if they don't wear pants they stand out in a crowd. But if a monkey didn't wear pants it would be anonymous

Really??? (5.00 / 1) (#12)
by Smiling Dragon on Thu Jan 04, 2001 at 11:14:36 PM EST

Where did you hear this? Got a link or somesuch there?

-- Sometimes understanding is the booby prize - Neal Stephenson
Here be some links/ (none / 0) (#13)
by Holloway on Fri Jan 05, 2001 at 01:03:29 AM EST

My girlfriend and I were affected by it. I found out about it yesterday by talking to a teller. I'm moving banks, ASB seems to be more reliable.

Stuff.co.nz on National Bank screwup, NZ Herald on National Bank screwup.

Chortle (5.00 / 1) (#22)
by Smiling Dragon on Thu Jan 11, 2001 at 02:04:52 PM EST

Well waddayaknow? I also find that looking at my statement I got charged twice then repaid too. Funny :)

BTW, I'm not sure you're going someplace better with ASB, have heard bad things about their network security. I guess all the banks suck though and it's a matter of finding the least sucky one...
-- Sometimes understanding is the booby prize - Neal Stephenson
Nordbanken's computer systems failed (2.00 / 2) (#14)
by MantorpCity on Fri Jan 05, 2001 at 11:07:40 AM EST

The Swedish bank claims it had nothing to do with the new year though.

I fixed a Y2.001K problem today (4.50 / 4) (#19)
by jkternes on Fri Jan 05, 2001 at 10:39:48 PM EST

What really happened was that back in 1999 someone missed a Y2K problem in a Perl script and finally discovered it in January of 2000. Suddenly the year was "19100".

They didn't know how to deal with it so they just hardcoded the year like this:
$year = "2000";

Well, I guess it worked for 12 months!

-jkt
Novell 3.2 + brand-new Compaq Deskpro = 1901? (4.00 / 2) (#20)
by iimty3 on Sat Jan 06, 2001 at 12:39:22 PM EST

On a small Novell 3.2 server that was temporarily residing on a brand-new Compaq Deskpro I found that the clock had rolled over to 1901 instead of 2001. This was interpreted as 2029 by Win9x clients, which is what brought the problem to my attention.

Interestingly, another Novell 3.2 server running on a godforsaken 486 from aeons past rolled over with no trouble.

Anyone else had any similar experiences?

.sig not found. (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)gnore?
Y-2.001-K Problems | 22 comments (9 topical, 13 editorial, 0 hidden)