Qt 3.0 and Tcl/Tk available for Mac OS X

By codepoet in News
Wed Oct 17, 2001 at 03:01:23 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

TrollTech has officially added Mac OS X to its list of supported platforms for the final version of the Qt 3.0 framework at the same time that Apple announced that they have ported Tcl/Tk to Mac OS X.

More interesting about the Apple release of Tcl/Tk is that they are releasing it under the BSD license and returning their changes to the CVS tree for the project. If this keeps up then we'll have not just a complete BSD system, but a useful one for most Unix graphical progams ... and can say goodbye to X for good.

This means that
o I can finally use some of my programs on Mac OS X! 11%
o Mac OS X is slowly arriving. 20%
o I'm still waiting for GTK. 11%
o People like wasting time. 9%
o Some people are actually doing more than keeping up with terrorism news. 47%

o officially
o ported
o CVS tree
o Also by codepoet

Qt 3.0 and Tcl/Tk available for Mac OS X | 16 comments (10 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)
Huh! I've been using Tcl/Tk for months... (3.66 / 6) (#3)
by chipuni on Wed Oct 17, 2001 at 11:37:22 AM EST

I think that you mean that the Qt 3.0 framework and Tcl/Tk have been ported to the Aqua framework.

I've been using Tcl/Tk for months under XWindows.
Perfection is not reached when nothing more can be added, but only when nothing more can be taken away.
Wisdom for short attention spans.

yessir (4.00 / 4) (#4)
by codepoet on Wed Oct 17, 2001 at 11:45:15 AM EST

That's exactly it. Qt apps can now run without the X Window System on Mac OS X and instead use the Window Manager from Apple (i.e. have the Aqua L&F). That's the news part, not that it compiles ok or anything like that. ;)

"We're going to find out who did this and we're going after the bastards." --Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah
you know... (2.66 / 3) (#8)
by codepoet on Wed Oct 17, 2001 at 02:22:46 PM EST

I'm at work on a Win2K box (system stays up, not the applications, but that's another issue) and I'm wondering about this Qt stuff. I know that some of the libs require X11 for some calls, so would a port mean that they've allowed for a duality behind the scenes such that anything written to use Qt should compile out of the box on a Mac without having xlib installed? If so, I'm heading over to Freshmeat tonight to play around. Anyone know for sure?

True... (3.00 / 1) (#13)
by roiem on Thu Oct 18, 2001 at 07:06:42 AM EST

but only if you purchase a license to the full product. The GPL version only works under X11, period. Of course, if you have too much free time on your hands you can port it yourself, that's what the GPL is all about.
90% of all projects out there are basically glorified interfaces to relational databases.
excellent (3.00 / 3) (#9)
by Ender Ryan on Wed Oct 17, 2001 at 03:18:59 PM EST

Now I can write commercial software apps using the same GUI toolkit for Linux, Mac, and Win.

From what I hear, TrollTech is also working on GPL versions of QT 3.0 for Mac and Win so opensource programmers can write crossplatform code using QT. Does anyone know anything about that?

Exposing vast conspiracies! Experts at everything even outside our expertise! Liberators of the world from the oppression of the evil USian Empire!

We are Kuro5hin!

Qt/Win32 (4.33 / 3) (#11)
by DJBongHit on Wed Oct 17, 2001 at 04:56:47 PM EST

I don't know about GPL'ed versions, but I'd doubt it for 2 reasons. First of all, they've said that the reason they released the X11 version under the GPL and not the Windows version is because Linux, *BSD, and so on tend to form complete free software systems while the same can't be said of Windows. Second of all, what "work" would they need to be doing to release a GPL'ed version for Win32 or Mac? The library is already written, and there's no licensed code in there - it's all written in-house.

They do have a "non-commercial" version of Qt/Win32 available for download, but it's binary only and requires MSVC 6. It's also only Qt 2.3.1, but Trolltech plans to release a non-commercial version of Qt 3 in the next few days.

I just gotta throw in the fact that I love Qt :) Best Toolkit Ever(tm).

~DJBongHit

GNU GPL: Free as in herpes.

Not decided (3.00 / 1) (#12)
by vasi on Wed Oct 17, 2001 at 06:07:45 PM EST

Trolltech apparently still may release a free non-commercial Qt, they haven't yet decided though. I doubt it will be GPL. If you care about whether you can do non-commercial Qt dev on Macs, let them know.

vasi

No remote displays in Aqua (5.00 / 2) (#14)
by abo on Thu Oct 18, 2001 at 02:40:55 PM EST

Aqua still doesn't have remote displays, so I still prefer X. It would be nice to know how difficult it would be to implement, and if it could be made to work on non-Aqua displays. I use remote display of windows all the time with my various Unix computers. It is an even more important feature with MacOS X since it is more graphically oriented, so remote computer admin and use using only text terminals probably is quite limited.

Properly authenticated and encrypted, of course.

And I want remote display of windows, not screens. VNC is unpractical and sometimes insecure.
-- Köp BRUX!

Remote Desktop? (none / 0) (#15)
by diskiller on Fri Oct 26, 2001 at 11:51:49 PM EST

Ever heard of Remote Desktop? (Also called Terminal Services in older windows).

Windows NT4 had it.
Windows NT5 (w2k) has it.
Windows NT5.1 (XP) has it. Hell, even XP pro and home have remote desktop?

Its a million times better then VNC, too.

Try it out.

D.

Aqua thread, not Windows thread (none / 0) (#16)
by abo on Sat Nov 03, 2001 at 02:38:20 PM EST

I wondered how difficult it would be to implement it in Aqua, not Windows.

And yes, I know about remote desktops in Windows. I even have access to a Citrix MetaFrame server at work. Still thinks remote desktops and windows works better in X, where they implemented intright from the start.
-- Köp BRUX!