DMCA II

By kmself in News
Thu Apr 12, 2001 at 06:39:02 PM EST
Tags: Freedom (all tags)
Freedom

The good news is that the United States has ceded its sole claim to idiocy in the field of asinine IP protections in the area of copyright.

The bad news is that it's because of competition for that role from the EU.

The Register's Tom Greene has a nice writeup of some shitty news: passage of the analog of the US DMCA by the EC's invertebrate ministers in the Ague (look, it's my feet, I've got dropped haitches).

Find it here: EU Sanctifies Copyrights a la DMCA

Mind you, there's some stomach-turning language in there, best take this after you've fortified yourself with that morning cuppa joe:

Firstly, right-holders have complete control over the manufacture, distribution, etc. of devices designed to circumvent anti-copying devices. A more flexible solution in this regard would have carried a greater risk of abuse and piracy.

Bartender, I'll have a cocktail. Molotov. Better make that a double.

o Also by kmself

DMCA II | 13 comments (11 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
Arggh (3.85 / 7) (#2)
by FeersumAsura on Thu Apr 12, 2001 at 08:25:26 AM EST

I must stop reading /. and K5 and watching the news. Now I have a terrible urge to go out and main. I've printed off my list of people who supported the RIP bill. Now find out who voted for that, get my interrail card and ... go politician hunting.
The entire family can join in this fun game.
MP Hunting from Mattel
players: 4
equipment needed: cocaine
underage girls
drink
brown envelopes
and lots of money.
Feel the thrill as you buy your first questions. Wonder at how easy it was to pay for your bill to be passed. Marvel as you buy off the press.
Aim of the game: Once rival MPs come sniffing round your patch you have to kill them in a set amount of time. Points will be deducted if witnesses are left.

I'm so pre-emptive I'd nuke America to save time.
And how do they expect to enforce this? (4.00 / 2) (#3)
by weirdling on Thu Apr 12, 2001 at 11:33:56 AM EST

My biggest problem with the DMCA is that it provides enormous new penalties, creates virtually unlimited clout, and generally mucks with what used to be the sacrosanct right of any individual to use media he has lawfully purchased. That being said, it fails on another significant point: while allowing abuse by the media companies, it won't stop pirating. It can't. Pirating is something that has always happened and will always happen. It can be deterred somewhat, but even enacting the death penalty for pirating won't stop it entirely, as the resources to police such activity are non-existent due to the low actual per-instance cost of the crime compared to the cost of catching them. In other words, enforcement costs more than ignoring the problem for the most part.

I'm not doing this again; last time no one believed it.
Information Society (4.33 / 3) (#4)
by Cyberrunner on Thu Apr 12, 2001 at 03:23:18 PM EST

They said it, they want to create an Information Society. This requires laws that allow control of content == to property in the courts, etc. I'm not agreeing with them, just stating where they're headed.

The only solution is to make every last person on the earth, who has access to tech, capable of creating, distributing, enhancing, etc. every type of intellectual property in existance -- forcing it to be worthless. Without more efficiency and a helleva lot of freedom to publish, produce, communicate, etc., we are pawns to them. Anyway, governments and corporations sole purpose is to profit (or derive power) from everything they can control, if we let them.

Talk's cheap, I'm actively working on possible solutions... What are you doing?

Analysis vs. slashbots (2.50 / 2) (#6)
by Delirium on Thu Apr 12, 2001 at 04:24:13 PM EST

So is there an analysis of this law anywhere? Any explanations of what's good/bad about it? Or is this just another in the long series of postings to the effect of "copyright sux0rz d00d"?

My take... (4.60 / 5) (#7)
by Cyberrunner on Thu Apr 12, 2001 at 07:09:07 PM EST

Here is the full text, from Eurorights. -- To quote Eurorights from here: "Article 6 of the directive is the most important, and most debated, one. Note that a technical protection measure is protected by law even if it contains other restrictions in addition to preventing copyright infringement. This means that technical measures that enforce DVD region locks or deny the act of giving or lending a book is protected by law."

Okay, I'm feeling !#&*&@ with what I know is creeping into place... after just reading the nice analysis at law.com on the "Implications Of The International Cybercrime Treaty" (currently on /. ). You get a nice feeling when they mention criminalizing certain large scale "Copyright" infringements.

In my view, the currenty copyright law is half decent. It provides the creators with rights to derive some benefits from their work... But, when the corporations get involved and they start protecting *their* profits, by extending the terms, etc. they disintegrate the original purpose that copyrights wes setup for. I.e. the only problems I have with copyright are directly caused by corporations!

U.S. centric view, warning:
When reading the U.S. constitution "To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries", you don't get the idea that corporations were involved in the reasoning. On the subject: -- On the eve of his becoming Chief Justice of Wisconsin's Supreme Court, Edward G. Ryan said ominously in 1873, "[There] is looming up a new and dark power... the enterprises of the country are aggregating vast corporate combinations of unexampled capital, boldly marching, not for economical conquests only, but for political power... The question will arise and arise in your day, though perhaps not fully in mine, which shall rule-wealth or man [sic]; which shall lead-money or intellect; who shall fill public stations-educated and patriotic freemen, or the feudal serfs of corporate capital...." -- Taken from an article on Poclad.org

Corporations, governments, etc., are creating their own problems by forcing people to progress beyond their control and limited power. Maybe we'll increase human understanding and efficiency a little more this time we move forward...

the interesting thing (4.00 / 1) (#8)
by dleal on Fri Apr 13, 2001 at 04:48:27 PM EST

There's one thing I never remeber when I hear this kind of news. One small thing, but I guess I would be much happier if I kept remembering it: these products, these... copyright-protected, DMCA'd things... Do I need them?

Do I?

Watch, or be cut off from your people. (4.00 / 1) (#9)
by pin0cchio on Sat Apr 14, 2001 at 02:00:58 PM EST

these... copyright-protected, DMCA'd things... Do I need them?

Your peers expect you to be familiar with popular copyrighted content for the purposes of so-called "small talk" (no relation to the Smalltalk language) at locations such as the office water cooler. If you don't want to be cut off from your circle of friends, you must consume popular music, consume television programming, and consume motion pictures.

The BIOS you used to boot the computer on which you read this very message is also copyrighted and probably proprietary. (That is, unless you're using a LinuxBIOS.)

lj65
my people? (4.00 / 1) (#11)
by dleal on Sat Apr 14, 2001 at 06:53:55 PM EST

Heh. I already don't watch television or go to movies, and I don't think I'm much interested in "small talk" (or even Smalltalk, I prefer Ruby -- sorry, had to put this in somehow :) even though I read and hear a lot of music. I still have friends, and they put up with me so I may be considered a somewhat fortunate man. :)

I think, however, I phrased what I wanted to say poorly. I'm not against copyrights. I think anyone who creates something has a right to enjoy some reward for the creation. Of course, it's getting to the point where the creators (or the publishers, right now they seem the same to me) are going a little overboard about what they think they are entitled to.

However utopic, I still think that if people, most people, just stopped and said, "Oh, that's the deal you're proposing us? Sorry, not interested." and stopped buying their stuff, it would work wonders, much wider and far-reaching than the current state of afairs. I mean, look at stuff like DeCSS: if people would have just refrained from buying DVDs (encrypted content? Zone selection? Come on!) instead of using workarounds to do what is effectively in their right to do, I think the message would have passed much clearer. But it seems to me that not even the people who are eager that their rights be respected do this simple thing. Perhaps most people are still ill-educated about this whole matter. Perhaps they aren't and they just don't care. Then they get what they deserve, I say.

That's why my question is still: Do I need those things? Are they essential to my living?

No, they aren't.

Ashamed (2.50 / 2) (#10)
by Cameleon on Sat Apr 14, 2001 at 05:46:00 PM EST

This is one of the few times when I, as a European, feel as ashamed as Americans must so often feel.

How exactly did this happen? Who elected these people? I probably voted for them, unknowningly. For me, and I think for most other Europeans, the European government is still something far away, something that seems corrupt, slow, and seems to have no influence on our personal lives. But these kind of laws really do influence us.

There is probably nothing we can do about this now, except vote differently, and completely ignore this law.

Not really (4.00 / 1) (#12)
by Betcour on Sun Apr 15, 2001 at 10:01:21 AM EST

For me, and I think for most other Europeans, the European government is still something far away, something that seems corrupt, slow, and seems to have no influence on our personal lives. Well it seems this was decided over a minister meeting, so it's not designed openly in the European parliement but by a minister from every country... not really a decision taken by the EU but an agreement between countries on a common policy.

two official links (4.00 / 1) (#13)
by Cameleon on Sun Apr 15, 2001 at 10:56:41 AM EST

Here are two official EU links:

DMCA II | 13 comments (11 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)