Iomega Settles Lawsuit, To Grant Rebates

By Crashnbur in News
Sun Apr 22, 2001 at 12:53:50 PM EST
Tags: Hardware (all tags)
Hardware

Excite news reports that Iomega Corp. will give rebates to millions of customers as part of a settlement of a class-action lawsuit that claimed its Zip drives are defective. U.S. customers who bought a Zip drive from a store or authorized manufacturer between January 1, 1995, and March 19, 2001, will be entitled to rebates worth up to $40 for various Iomega products. The settlement comes out of a lawsuit filed in Deleware in 1998 that claimed that Zip drives had a manufacturing flaw that often caused the drives and disks to fail. (Read an April 1998 Computer Link Magazine article about the "Click of Death" deficiency.)

Question: Where do I go to get my rebate?

o Excite news reports
o Iomega Corp.
o Computer Link Magazine article
o Also by Crashnbur

Iomega Settles Lawsuit, To Grant Rebates | 13 comments (9 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)
Where do I go to get my rebate? (4.41 / 12) (#1)
by whatnotever on Sat Apr 14, 2001 at 12:55:25 PM EST

I've got your rebate right here.

Gee. If this were Slashdot, I'd be whoring!

Also: Iomega's page about the settlement.

They say that there is another hearing on June 8, though. So it isn't exactly over, yet?

Thank you! (and I apologize) (none / 0) (#3)
by Crashnbur on Sat Apr 14, 2001 at 01:34:42 PM EST

Thanks for the link. I surfed around the Iomega site for a good fifteen minutes, and I could not find that page! (It was early, I was tired, I'm a moron... whatever.) Thanks for the information.

crash.neotope.com

you won't get one for quite some time (if at all) (4.60 / 5) (#2)
by rebelcool on Sat Apr 14, 2001 at 01:05:33 PM EST

the hearing is scheduled june 8th to see if the settlement is approved. If approved, then yes, you would get the rebate. Otherwise you would not.

COG. Build your own community. Free, easy, powerful. Demo site

Did you register? (3.50 / 4) (#4)
by hardburn on Sat Apr 14, 2001 at 03:15:51 PM EST

If you registered the product, they usualy send you stuff like this through the mail (yes, it's good for more then increasing the ammount of snail mail spam).

I used to have a Comp. Sci. teacher who bought a Zenith laptop which had a defective disk drive. It came to a class-action suit and Zenith lost. However, my teacher got his registration card in something like a week after the designated time period. He still got something for his troubles, but not nearly as much as he would have if the registration was in a week earlier.

----
while($story = K5::Story->new()) { $story->vote(-1) if($story->section() == $POLITICS); }

Got my letter this morning... (4.25 / 4) (#5)
by ism on Sat Apr 14, 2001 at 04:38:25 PM EST

As soon as I read the return address, "Iomega Class Action," I laughed. I really don't put much stock into class action lawsuits like this. The class sues Iomega for a crappy product and gets -- rebates towards purchases of more of their crappy products? Reminds me of the Nintendo case in 1991.

On the bright side, Iomega is making a "charitable donation" of Zip drives, media, services, and software to schools, K-12, to be determined. Oh, wait, is this a donation or a marketing scheme? Kids just might want to bring some data home, and they'll need something to read those Zip disks.

Well, somebody other than Iomega wins -- the legal fees are still to be determined, not to exceed $4.7 million. Looks like the attorneys made out pretty well for a nearly 3-year action.

The rebate amounts differ depending on whether or not you submit a valid "Proof of Manifestation." Basically you have to affirm, under penalty of perjury, that you experienced a "continual" clicking noise and inability to read and write data to any disk in the drive. Technical assistance is provided free of charge for 10 months from the Settlement Effective Date regarding clicking noises. So I guess assistance for non-clicking problems is not covered.

Now, if I could get something back for my Jaz drive and disks...

damn. (3.00 / 4) (#6)
by regeya on Sat Apr 14, 2001 at 05:21:54 PM EST

I knew I should have registered my drive. :-/

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Never! (4.00 / 2) (#7)
by finial on Mon Apr 16, 2001 at 09:25:16 AM EST

I will never, ever buy another IOMega product again. Ever. Never ever. Neither will my company nor will any of my clients. I will not accept IOMega media and will not supply IOMega media.

They owe me $150 in rebates that were sent in separate envelopes at separate times all of which were "lost."

Phone call:

Me: "I'm calling about my rebate"
They: "We are not responsible for lost or misdirected mail."
Me: "Don't you even want my name to see if you got the letter?"
They: "Oh, sure.."
Me: "[gave them name and relevant info]"
They: "We are not responsible for lost or misdirected mail."

Nope, no more IOMega ever.

Besides, it no longer makes sense.
Zip disk: $15. Blank CD: $0.50.
Zip drive: $150. CD Burner: $150.
Zip capacity: 100MB. CD capacity: 600+MB

It's better than that (none / 0) (#13)
by fluffy grue on Sun Apr 22, 2001 at 01:16:57 PM EST

Blank CD-Rs can be had as low as 20 cents each before rebates (at CompUSA). CD-RWs I've seen for as low as 40 cents each, on a spindle no less (I don't know why anyone would need a spindle of CD-RWs, but that's besides the point). Also, the Linux CD-R tools allow you to overburn (burn past the mythical "guard space" on CD-Rs which seems to only exist as a profit-increasing measure, for the most part) and so you can put up to 740MB on a 650MB disk with no problem. Whee. :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

I thought something was wrong with those drives (4.00 / 2) (#8)
by weirdling on Mon Apr 16, 2001 at 01:03:20 PM EST

When I was a tech, we made a brisk business replacing IOmega drives, which probably explains why I don't own one. Particularly the parallel external unit, which seemed to make it an average of six months.

I'm not doing this again; last time no one believed it.