Can you say Retirement?

By ucblockhead in News
Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 03:09:14 AM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

After over thirty years, that icon of the American GenX childhood, Mr. Rogers, is retiring.

If you are like me, you spent a good portion of the first few years of your life staring at the friendly guy in the sweater. (As an LA resident in my youth, I had the good fortune of attending a taping and seeing Mr. Rogers in person though, alas, at three my memory of the event is hazy. I am told I enjoyed it.)

Not a man to be left behind in the technological dirt, our friend has his own website, which will continue operation after the last new episode of the show is aired. (Repeats will be aired indefinitely.)

Often satirized, but always with affection, Roger's is likely the most beloved media figure of the children of my generation, and his decision to retire, while understandable at 73, leaves a gaping void of inferior programs.

o retiring
o website
o satirized
o gaping void of inferior programs
o Also by ucblockhead

Can you say Retirement? | 14 comments (7 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)
Huh (1.00 / 1) (#2)
by fluffy grue on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 06:38:25 PM EST

Didn't he retire, like, 10 years ago?
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Ironly of the story title (3.00 / 2) (#3)
by GusherJizmac on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 06:45:36 PM EST

When I saw the title, I thought of the gen-x sarcastic way of "Can you say retirement?", and not in the Mr. Rodgers helpful-educational way.
<sig> G u s h e r J i z m a c </sig>
I've seen Mr. Rogers (1.00 / 2) (#8)
by surplus value on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 09:20:38 PM EST

Mr. Rogers aint no Peewee Herman.

War Inc.: No one fucks with The Great Satan.

yeah well (1.00 / 1) (#11)
by ncmusic on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 08:26:36 AM EST

pee wee ain't no ex-marine.

Accolades for Fred (4.00 / 1) (#12)
by mcherm on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 09:14:14 AM EST

Thank you for posting this story... Fred Rodgers is indeed a "heroic" celebrity in my book. Early in his career he decided that he liked using puppets and working with children, and devoted his entire life to it. Furthermore, he knew how to truly connect with young children, a skill too many people lack entirely.

For a completely different look, check out the recent This American Life program featuring him, found here in RealAudio format.

-- Michael Chermside

I used to work with Mr. Rogers (3.00 / 2) (#13)
by abe ferlman on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 09:15:14 AM EST

Well, sorta. I worked in the same building (WQED Pittsburgh) and would occassionally ride the elevator with him in the mornings. Very nice guy, snappy dresser. The show's not an act - that's how he really is.

Who? (none / 0) (#14)
by MugginsM on Fri Jul 20, 2001 at 07:54:05 AM EST

I must admit, I've never heard of the fellow.

I assume he's some American TV icon?

- Colin

Can you say Retirement? | 14 comments (7 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)