"Attack on America:" How you can help

By cyclopatra in News
Sat Sep 15, 2001 at 12:10:52 AM EST
Tags: Help! (Ask Kuro5hin) (all tags)
Help! (Ask Kuro5hin)

So the WTC is gone, a big chunk of the Pentagon has left the building, and the gods only know how many people are dead and injured. You're across the country, or have no medical training, or otherwise are not qualified to help out with search and rescue or medical care.

You can still help!

You can still help! The first, most important thing you can do, is give blood. Call the Red Cross at 1-800-448-3543 to make an appointment first, though; blood banks around the country have wait times of up to two days.

If you can't, or won't give blood, GIVE MONEY. The Red Cross has mobilized hundreds of staff and volunteers to do SAR, triage and provide aid to the victims of this crisis, but all that costs money. Call 1-800-HELP-NOW to donate over the phone (lines are busy though), or donate online: www.redcross.com and Yahoo! are both taking online, credit card donations for the Red Cross. Select "Disaster Relief Fund" as the destination for your donation to make sure it goes to help the relief efforts.

Come on, K5'ers: let's show our true colors by helping out however we can!

I prefer to donate
o Blood 46%
o Money 33%
o Other 20%

o Yahoo
o www.redcro ss.com
o Yahoo!
o Also by cyclopatra

"Attack on America:" How you can help | 22 comments (15 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)
Anyone know of a Canada-wide number to call? (3.33 / 3) (#7)
by ZanThrax on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 02:13:28 AM EST

The Red Cross is no longer in charge of collecting blood here, the Canadian Blood Service (or something close to that) is.

No witty sig today. Even I have respect for the dead.

To answer my own question (none / 0) (#12)
by ZanThrax on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 02:47:12 PM EST

1.888.2DONATE (1.888.236.6283) Not really much point in calling it though, its just an overworked autoresponder that forwards you to your nearest clinic. (Where, if you're like me, you'll get a busy signal) To find out where your nearest clinic is, and to get the telephone numbers for it, go to www.bloodservices.ca

No witty sig today. Even I have respect for the dead.

Two ways to help (3.66 / 3) (#8)
by cactus on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 03:12:09 AM EST

Amazon (yeah, I know. But they don't make any money on this) is taking donations for the Red Cross: http://www.amazon.com/.

And join the ACLU: http://www.aclu.org/
"Politics are the entertainment branch of Industry"
-- Frank Zappa
Notes for NYers: (4.14 / 7) (#9)
by Puchitao on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 04:56:14 AM EST

If you're in the area, there's a lot more work to be done than medical and rescue work... which is rarely the sort of things they send volunteers to anyway. It doesn't matter what your skills are -- every possible specialty, including being a warm body, is needed.

I just went up to the Red Cross HQ and volunteered today, a couple hours after the attack. The first people they called forward (there were probably a thousand of us in a big high school auditorium) weren't people with paramedic skills or anything, but Human Resource professionals. Mobilizing thousands of volunteers is a logistical nightmare, and ANYONE who has these sort of skills is direly needed. Mental health professionals are also in very high demand, for obvious reasons.

But even if you aren't these things, there's mad work to be done. They said something to the effect of "If you're a computer geek, note that on your application. If you work at McDonalds, note it. If you speak Spanish, note it."

Rescuing people and giving them medical assistance isn't what you as a volunteer would do; everyone who can do that is already mobilized. But there's thousands of evacuees that have to be housed and fed, blood donors who need liquids and sugary snacks, and once the list of the dead starts to fill up, someone's gotta figure out whom the mental health professionals should contact with the bad news.

Nearly anything you can do, from data entry to flipping burgers, can be used to some good effect. Please help out; everyone (excluding felons I think) can be utilized. There is NOTHING, in my entire life, that has inspired me so much as the heroics and endless resolve of my fellow New Yorkers today.

Puchitao
(I do not speak for the Red Cross in any capacity; I am just an spontaneous volunteer who wandered in off the street this morning -- still in my slippers -- to see what I could do. I'm pretty much just repeating what they told me, as well as I can recall. So any inaccuracies herein are entirly the fault of my very tired mind.)
Perhaps we can do *snappy fun* with you everytime! -- Orz
Even Felons... (5.00 / 1) (#20)
by physicsgod on Sat Sep 15, 2001 at 01:32:43 AM EST

I heard on the news today that one of the prisons in New York (forget which one) is making bag lunches for the rescuers, up to 1000/hour. Too bad I'm 2500 miles away.

--- "Those not wearing body armor are hereby advised to keep their arguments on-topic" Schlock Mercenary
Those in the UK (2.75 / 4) (#10)
by BobaFatt on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 06:23:31 AM EST

I don't recall the import/export condition for blood between the UK and the US, but giving blood here can't hurt (much).

Anyway, the site for the NBS is www.blood.co.uk

The Management apologise for any convenience caused.

US Red Cross rejects british blood... (3.00 / 1) (#11)
by cactus on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 06:28:01 AM EST

Or rather, blood from anybody who spent a lengthy time in the UK. The fear is of undetectable TSEs (Mad Cow) contaminating the blood.

Still, giving blood is always a good idea.
"Politics are the entertainment branch of Industry"
-- Frank Zappa
Eligibility for donating blood (3.00 / 1) (#13)
by kjb on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 06:15:47 PM EST

Here's a link to a Red Cross page explaining the eligibility requirements for being a blood donor:
Eligibility

Now watch this drive.

what if i prefer to donate blood money? ;) [nt] (2.28 / 7) (#14)
by sayke on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 06:17:08 PM EST

sayke, v2.3.1 /* i am the middle finger of the invisible hand */
One more thing. (4.00 / 4) (#16)
by Tezcatlipoca on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 05:59:26 AM EST

Combat hate.

Muslim people around you will have a though ride. Do all what you can to make sure the meme saying "Muslims are not terrorists" spreads as widely as possible.
------------------------------------
"They only think of me as a Mexican,
an Indian or a Mafia don"
Mexican born actor Anthony Quinn on
Hol
To hell with memes. That's just reverse racism. (1.00 / 7) (#17)
by marlowe on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 12:15:49 AM EST

What we need right now is practicality. And if that practicality happens to be unfair to those Muslims who don't happen to wish us dead, well, that's the lesser evil. Life is unfair.

Give each noncitizen from a suspect country a choice: deportation or internment camp. Tell them it's nothing personal, we're just trying not to get stabbed in the back anymore.

If they really are sane and reasonable, they'll understand.

I can't believe it. (4.66 / 3) (#18)
by Tezcatlipoca on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 06:28:04 AM EST

Measures like the ones you propose is exactly what the terrorists want, to divide decent people.

They are succeding.

------------------------------------
"They only think of me as a Mexican,
an Indian or a Mafia don"
Mexican born actor Anthony Quinn on
Hol
I propose similar (4.66 / 3) (#19)
by squigly on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 05:14:46 PM EST

All catholics in the Ireland should be treated in exactly the same way, unless they can prove they have no links with the IRA.

It's moronic logic - since all terrorists are from a certain group, all people of a group are potential terrorists.

This sort of thinking just means you give them a reason to prove you right.

I agree (5.00 / 3) (#21)
by sigwinch on Sat Sep 15, 2001 at 02:48:34 AM EST

Definitely. I think all non-Apache should get the hell out. You white men have been nothing but trouble ever since your worthless pale ancestors arrived.

I don't want the world, I just want your half.

Isn't that the same way they justify terrorism? (4.00 / 2) (#22)
by elenchos on Sat Sep 15, 2001 at 02:04:31 PM EST

Sure. So what if a few innoncent bystanders get killed? Or a few thousand. Wrong place at the wrong time, that's all. This is war and we just call that "collateral damage."

Stop thinking like that, please. Right now you are no different than the terrorists.

Everything has changed.