Ovary Arm

By codemonkey_uk in News
Sun Sep 30, 2001 at 08:08:33 AM EST
Tags: Science (all tags)
Science

In an amazing and bizarre feat of modern medicine, a woman has had one of her ovaries implanted in her arm.

The intention of the operation was to prevent infertility during cancer treatment.

o ovaries implanted in her arm
o Also by codemonkey_uk

Ovary Arm | 12 comments (10 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
About the Sun newspaper... (3.50 / 2) (#1)
by Weyland Yutani on Fri Sep 28, 2001 at 12:38:48 PM EST

...where this article is from.

It's a downmarket British tabloid newspaper. It's not at the same level as, say, the "Weekly World News", but it would be nice to see some confirmation from a, *ahem*, more scientifically reputable source.
--------------------
Spinning my wheels on the launchpad, spitting I dunno and itch

MEDLINEplus (4.75 / 4) (#4)
by truth versus death on Fri Sep 28, 2001 at 03:00:15 PM EST

a more, *ahem*, scientifically reputable source

or try

JAMA
Endocrine Function and Oocyte Retrieval After Autologous Transplantation of Ovarian Cortical Strips to the Forearm

Hey, who likes med pot?

"any erection implies consent"-fae
[ Trim your Bush ]
More scientifically reputable but... (4.00 / 2) (#5)
by Weyland Yutani on Fri Sep 28, 2001 at 03:44:41 PM EST

...I do miss the Page 3 girls.
--------------------
Spinning my wheels on the launchpad, spitting I dunno and itch

just a click away (4.25 / 4) (#10)
by cp on Sun Sep 30, 2001 at 01:50:57 AM EST

The Sun is quite reliable. (4.00 / 2) (#6)
by Nick Ives on Fri Sep 28, 2001 at 03:46:56 PM EST

The Sun is, overall, a fairly reliable newspaper IMO. It has the habit of spinning political stories in favour of whatever party it happens to be supporting (que "It was us wot won it" from after the '93 election), but every British newspaper does that (even the Observer which has claims to neutrality but tends to favour parties with a liberal agenda). True, the majority of The Sun is banal trivia and most readers probably buy it because of page 3, but overall I reckon the majority of stuff printed in The Sun has some basis in fact.

Nick
You forgot to mention, it may be downmarket but its also our biggest circulated paper.

How about NPR? (4.50 / 2) (#8)
by lovelace on Fri Sep 28, 2001 at 10:57:25 PM EST

Well, here's the NPR story about it. I heard this on the air last wednesday and while I realize that it's an incredible thing for women with cancer that want to have children, it just sort of gives me the willies thinking about it.

Washington Post (3.50 / 2) (#2)
by maveness on Fri Sep 28, 2001 at 01:04:46 PM EST

I read it a few days ago...

*********
Latest fortune cookie: "The current year will bring you much happiness." As if.

Gloves (3.50 / 2) (#7)
by SPrintF on Fri Sep 28, 2001 at 08:08:59 PM EST

I'd be careful, shaking hands with this woman.

uh oh... (4.25 / 8) (#9)
by Skwirl on Sat Sep 29, 2001 at 05:24:47 AM EST

But Dr. Drew told me that receiving a hand job couldn't get a girl pregnant.

(Disclaimer: Yeah, I know this joke is lame, but I've gotten bored of trusted user status. Also, it raises the discussion topic of using ovary, or testicle, arm for birth control.)

"Nothing in the world is more distasteful to a man than to take the path that leads to himself." -- Herman Hesse
ovary arm (none / 0) (#12)
by bzbb on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 10:36:50 PM EST

At the university of connecticut, we have sheep with ovarys in their necks, as to ease drawing blood.
-- It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."

Samuel Adams

Ovary Arm | 12 comments (10 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)