Intel sues Via for making a Pentium IV chipset

By codepoet in News
Mon Sep 10, 2001 at 06:14:58 AM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

Litigation-happy chip maker Intel just sued Via, a motherboard chipset maker, for allegedly designing and manufacturing a chipset for the Penitum IV without a license from Intel for the patents involved.

The chipsets (P4X266 and P4M266) that Via makes allow for DDR (double data rate) DRAM to be used instead of Rambus memory. Apparently this is not something Intel had planned on making possible, though they are releasing a board soon (Monday, Sept. 10) that supports "normal" SDRAM memory for the Pentium IV.

Via plans to defend itself, apparently, in that they were working with S3, who holds a license to make said chipsets, though possibly only for boards that have on-board video, which neither set Via offers has.

Patent litigation is
o Required to protect profitable ideas. 16%
o Evil, but required to stay in business these days. 24%
o Evil. 46%
o CowboyNeal 12%

o sued
o Also by codepoet

Intel sues Via for making a Pentium IV chipset | 15 comments (6 topical, 9 editorial, 0 hidden)
Not a good sign (2.33 / 3) (#6)
by {ice}blueplazma on Sat Sep 08, 2001 at 08:06:57 AM EST

Intel really has no need to get its knickers in a knot. They are the only ones making the chip and in reality, most OEMs buy from Intel because Intel is just so big.

"Denise, I've been begging you for the kind of love that Donny and Smitty have, but you won't let me do it, not even once!"
--Jimmy Fallon
My take (2.50 / 2) (#9)
by codepoet on Sun Sep 09, 2001 at 05:39:31 PM EST

How I'm seeing this is, well, who cares if someone makes a chipset? Intel gets their chips sold in larger quantities if there are chipsets that support whatever the user wants. Via knows this and therefore makes the chipset. Intel should just shut up and take the money in my opinion.

"It's sleazy," Hatch said. "This is not a company that appears to be bothered by ethical boundaries." --Minnesota Attorney General Mike Hatch on Mi
Are Intel morons? (4.00 / 1) (#12)
by ronin212 on Mon Sep 10, 2001 at 09:23:58 AM EST

They're suing someone for allowing MORE stuff to be used with their chips? Heck, I was thinking about buying PIVs instead of Athlons if I could use DDR memory instead of that RDRAM fecal matter, but I guess that case is closed. What a bunch of fucking assholes.

Now is the time... get on the right side! You'll be godlike.
They want the entire market, not a portion (none / 0) (#15)
by Trepalium on Tue Sep 11, 2001 at 12:50:21 AM EST

For some reason they're being pretty stupid about the entire thing. Rather than just accept that VIA takes part of the low-end board market, but they get to sell more CPUs, they are insisting on having control over the entire market. Either way, this game the both of them are playing should be amusing. Like little children fighting over a toy...

Anything you can do I can do better (none / 0) (#13)
by gcmillwood on Mon Sep 10, 2001 at 11:28:13 AM EST

In the tradition of big company lawsuits Via have now sued Intel in retaliation. Via claim that Intel manufactured the P4 without a license from Via. Personally I find this amusing.

Apparently the P4 uses some tech that Intel licensed from S3, which has since been aquired by Via. Intel claim that when S3 was bought, Via didn't get the licenses S3 had, so Via now claim that the licenses Intel had from S3 are no longer valid.

My bet is on the two companies licensing each others patents in the end. If they don't then the only winners will be the lawyers.

See The Register for the full story.

Idiotic (none / 0) (#14)
by weirdling on Mon Sep 10, 2001 at 05:24:56 PM EST

I only own one Intel board (dual celeron) largely because Intel's price/performance ration *sucks* compared to AMDs or VIA's new Samson (Cyrix M-III). If they require now that the only chipset I can use with an Intel CPU is an intel chipset, I guess I'm only buying AMD from now on out.

Seriously, the VIA Samson is decently fast (85% or so of Celeron, 1200 BogoMIPS from a 667MHz cpu), with 133MHz ram, good enough for routing and light server duties, and is *cheap*.

And, the 1.4GHz Athlon is faster than anything Intel has, although faster Rambus memory might make up the difference, the cost is horrific, and I'm not convinced it will.

What the heck is Intel thinking?

I'm not doing this again; last time no one believed it.