Slim Dusty dead at 76

By Russell Dovey in News
Sun Sep 21, 2003 at 09:09:22 AM EST
Tags: Music (all tags)
Music

Slim Dusty, one of Australia's most well-loved country music icons, died yesterday in his home in Sydney, surrounded by his wife and children.

While many international readers won't have heard of this man, Slim's contribution to Australia's history, culture and musical tradition is deep and enduring.

One fact that hints at his influence on Australian life is that he had been continually writing, playing, and recording Australian country music ever since 1946, and released an amazing 106 albums.

Most living Australians grew up with Slim Dusty as just one of those immortal Australian icons, like Bert Newton, John Laws, or Dame Edna Everage. One of those parts of the landscape, a part of the background to one's life that had always been there and always would.

When someone like Slim Dusty dies, it makes us pause and reflect, just momentarily, on where we are and how we got here. Even if we don't think about them in our everyday lives, they still shape our awareness of ourselves as Australians and as people.

Most Australians can at least hum the tune to his defining song The Pub With No Beer, even if they don't know the words. Many would regard the high point of Slim Dusty's career to be the time he sang this quintessentially Australian song at the closing ceremony of the Sydney Olympics in 2000, to a TV audience of over 4 billion people.

Peter Garret, lead singer of the great Aussie rock band Midnight Oil, wrote in the Sydney Morning Herald today:

"At the end, Slim Dusty was as good if not better than the day he started. That's the phenomenal thing about it. His career did not go up and down like most of ours go up and down. His career went up, found its rightful place - the Slim Place - in the galaxy of Australian country and stayed there.

There's the country music industry place and there's the Slim Dusty Place."

He will be missed. Rest in peace, Slim Dusty.

o died
o contributi on
o continuall y
o words
o wrote
o Also by Russell Dovey

Slim Dusty dead at 76 | 43 comments (39 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)
+1 fp (3.61 / 13) (#1)
by circletimessquare on Fri Sep 19, 2003 at 08:40:00 PM EST

i never heard of this guy before in my life, but this is exactly the kind of well-composed, heartfelt story that makes kuro5hin worth coming to, thank you

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

interesting (3.84 / 13) (#2)
by Abominable Abitur on Fri Sep 19, 2003 at 08:48:40 PM EST

US loses Johnny Cash. AUS loses Slim Dusty.

I'm going to have to check this guy out, he sounds very interesting. I've been enjoying Kasey Chambers first album, and while I'm not comparing her to him, it definitely has piqued my interest in Australian Country music.

It certainly sounds more like the country music I grew up listening to rather than the pop crap they've been trying to sell as country music for the last 10 years.

"Terrorism is only a viable "political activist" method for marginalized nutjobs, bottom line. The backlash that it causes makes it intractable for any reasonable ideology. Which is why you don't generally see wild athiest suicide bombers in america's streets." - lonelyhobo

Kasey Chambers (3.87 / 8) (#3)
by Russell Dovey on Fri Sep 19, 2003 at 09:06:30 PM EST

According to this article, Kasey Chambers was too emotional to respond to journalists when told that Slim Dusty was dead.

I feel the same about "pop crap". I used to think that I hated country music, especially what I saw as "Americanised" crap with fake accents and empty lyrics. But I started hearing real country at folk festivals and on the radio, and found that it was great. Especially bluegrass. But Slim Dusty always played out in the bush, so it was easy to see that he was genuine.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light." - Spike Milligan

Slim was an artist, Kasey's a presenter (3.00 / 1) (#21)
by mozmozmoz on Sun Sep 21, 2003 at 05:14:32 AM EST

Much as I'm not a fan of country music, at least Slim Dusty wrote interesting songs and sang passably well. About all you can say about Kasey Chambers is that she's pretty and she tries hard. Avoid her cover of "time after time" at all costs, it's a kareoke sound-alike version that's almost as good as the one she copies... at least EBTG had the decency to do their own verios of the song.

There's lots of comedy on TV too. Does that make children funnier?

KC (5.00 / 1) (#29)
by Pseudonym on Mon Sep 22, 2003 at 12:20:17 AM EST

About all you can say about Kasey Chambers is that she's pretty [...]

Not pretty enough, though.

sub f{($f)=@_;print"$f(q{$f});";}f(q{sub f{($f)=@_;print"$f(q{$f});";}f});
Good call. (none / 0) (#41)
by mozmozmoz on Sun Sep 28, 2003 at 08:02:00 AM EST

Ok, I laughed at that. Now I have to go find a remix of that song to amuse myself with.

There's lots of comedy on TV too. Does that make children funnier?

Try Paul Kelly and/or the Waifs... (none / 0) (#31)
by goonie on Mon Sep 22, 2003 at 10:14:35 AM EST

If you like acoustic music you could try Paul Kelly (the Australian folk/rock singer, not the American guy) and The Waifs (acoustic female guitar duo), and possibly the John Butler Trio.

Not strictly country music, but definitely blues/rootsy kinda stuff, and pretty damn good.

cool! (none / 0) (#32)
by Abominable Abitur on Mon Sep 22, 2003 at 03:31:38 PM EST

Thank you, I'm always on the lookout for that kind of stuff. I hate going into a store and trying to figure out what band/group plays what kind of music. The store I shop in lets you listen to whatever you want before purchasing but I generally don't have the time.

Slim & Kasey Duet (none / 0) (#42)
by furryape on Thu Nov 27, 2003 at 09:34:33 AM EST

You might want to look for "Matilda no more" a duet between Kasey & Slim. It's one of my favourite songs.

+1 (2.37 / 8) (#4)
by SwampGas on Fri Sep 19, 2003 at 09:08:01 PM EST

I'll vote it up when it comes time.  Nice write up.

I'm just grateful (3.30 / 10) (#5)
by Grape Smuggler on Fri Sep 19, 2003 at 09:28:10 PM EST

That Yahoo Serious still breathes. What a true thespian that man was.

By reading this message you've unwittingly exposed yourself to my powerful, moth-like pheremones.

Just so you know, (2.20 / 5) (#8)
by maximumlobster on Fri Sep 19, 2003 at 09:48:28 PM EST

You have the best sig on K5.

Another little tidbit... (4.33 / 9) (#6)
by Russell Dovey on Fri Sep 19, 2003 at 09:47:07 PM EST

In 1981, Slim was the first Australian to have a song, Waltzing Matilda, played from space to earth by astronauts.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light." - Spike Milligan

by any chance... (none / 0) (#25)
by durkie on Sun Sep 21, 2003 at 04:33:43 PM EST

is this related to "waltzing matilda" by tom waits? i figure tom waits did a cover, but you know, just curious. i'd like to hear the original, if it is.

Waltzing Matilda (none / 0) (#36)
by bigchris on Tue Sep 23, 2003 at 03:58:58 AM EST

Actually, it's an old Australian folk song written by Banjo Patterson in 1895. Its actually Australia's most popular song (in this genre) as many people actually want to replace the national anthem with it.

It's about a hobo who steals sheep and escapes getting caught by comitting suicide. Go figure.

I Hate Jesus: -1: Bible thumper
kpaul: YAAT. YHL. HAND. btw, YAHWEH wins ;) [mt]

Only the .. (none / 0) (#37)
by cam on Tue Sep 23, 2003 at 12:26:39 PM EST

One of my Kiwi mates remarked on Waltzing Matilda that only the Australians and the Irish would consider a song like that for their national anthem.

cam
Freedom, Liberty, Equity and an Australian Republic

The Tom Waits song you're thinking of... (5.00 / 1) (#39)
by Y on Fri Sep 26, 2003 at 10:21:14 AM EST

... is called "Tom Traubert's Blues." He borrows the refrain from "Waltzing Matilda" and incorporates it into his own piece.

+1 FP (3.14 / 7) (#10)
by gjetost on Fri Sep 19, 2003 at 10:42:15 PM EST

... if for no other reason than mentioning Midnight Oil, the best band ever.

Yer damn right. (3.00 / 5) (#11)
by Russell Dovey on Fri Sep 19, 2003 at 11:20:30 PM EST

But I still don't know the answer to this important question: Why do we sleep while our beds are burning?

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light." - Spike Milligan

Because it's warm? (3.00 / 3) (#14)
by Narux on Sat Sep 20, 2003 at 10:12:47 AM EST

Kidding.

I suppose most people are apathetic; not doing anything is ingrained in people these days. Far better to let someone politician or whomever waffle on and pretend to do something.

Fear of change is a survival instinct. Some of us are less interested in our own survival than others, it seems.

I'm going to have to find my 40,000 watts RMS (I think?) CD; I've just realised that I can barely remember the words anyway.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Kidding? (3.00 / 3) (#15)
by pyro9 on Sat Sep 20, 2003 at 11:49:39 AM EST

You may have been kidding, but I'd say that 'because it's warm' is actually a great analogy. It is warm and comfortable, and to do something about it, we'd have to get up and put our bare feet on the cold floor.

The future isn't what it used to be
Frogs? (3.00 / 1) (#20)
by levesque on Sat Sep 20, 2003 at 09:44:26 PM EST

Frogs will jump out of boiling water.

Frogs will die in boiling water if you put them in cool water and warm it up slowly.

If our beds have been smoldering a long time...

Maybe, even when they catch fire, that is why we sleep.

Excellent article (3.00 / 3) (#16)
by SanSeveroPrince on Sat Sep 20, 2003 at 12:51:29 PM EST

Synthetic, to the point, provides all the information required AND a celebrity quote in half the space it takes most writers to pry their own hands from their anuses and start typing.

+1 only for the write up, AND for the fact that you opened a whole new frontier of terror to my mind: Australian country music? I thought you guys'd be too manly for it. Oh well.

----

Life is a tragedy to those who feel, and a comedy to those who think

I'm not funny. (4.00 / 12) (#17)
by j1mmy on Sat Sep 20, 2003 at 01:45:28 PM EST

Slim: Hey, get out of the way! I'm dying and I need to get to the hospital!

This just goes to show you (3.00 / 16) (#18)
by Tex Bigballs on Sat Sep 20, 2003 at 01:55:45 PM EST

how far these other lesser countries are willing to go to rip off the United States. We have Slim Shady, pop icon and world-class superstar, and Australia goes and makes Slim Dusty, some no-name wannabe knockoff.

you probably spent (2.60 / 5) (#22)
by the sixth replicant on Sun Sep 21, 2003 at 07:40:02 AM EST

90% of your time trying to see if the author posted any previous comments, had any other stories posted, see if he has any other accounts, how did he rate your comments, does he follow my ideology, if not vote down...and then spent the other 10% writing a really great comment that you can gloat over but you forgot TO READ THE FUCKEN ARTICLE!

Well done Tex another example of when genes have gone wrong.

Ciao my little chickidee

The humour impaired... (3.00 / 2) (#23)
by brunes69 on Sun Sep 21, 2003 at 11:33:41 AM EST

.. should not be allowed to reply to comments.

Hey, lets make this a new K5 rule.

---There is no Spoon---

is there (5.00 / 1) (#24)
by the sixth replicant on Sun Sep 21, 2003 at 01:37:31 PM EST

a cream for that?

Truly an American icon (nt) (2.87 / 8) (#19)
by Danzig on Sat Sep 20, 2003 at 06:41:51 PM EST

You are not a fucking Fight Club quotation.
rmg for editor!
If you disagree, moderate, don't post.
Kill whitey.
4 Billion? (3.00 / 1) (#26)
by towerssotall on Sun Sep 21, 2003 at 07:07:54 PM EST

to a TV audience of over 4 billion people.

Couple of hundred million absolute tops.

Never confuse the potential audience, measured in terms of "If everyone who lives withing a mile of a tv set is watching it and it's tuned to one particular channel out of 4-400 potential channels" with the real number of people who saw it.

At least Slim outlasted Johnny Cash eh?

What we all want to know... (1.00 / 1) (#27)
by The Cheat on Sun Sep 21, 2003 at 09:12:25 PM EST

As a big fan of all that is "groovy" and "phat" with the young people...

Is he the Real Slim Dusty, or just a wannabe poseur?

Inquiring minds want to know!

I am young (none / 0) (#38)
by Cackmobile on Fri Sep 26, 2003 at 10:15:54 AM EST

and like all the phatness and new music but slim was a legend. I ahte country music but his was pretty good!

Uniquely Australian (5.00 / 2) (#28)
by glengyron on Sun Sep 21, 2003 at 09:37:47 PM EST

Although country music means nothing to me, Slim Dusty was really important to Australia.

I remember listening to his records at my Grandfather's house.

He took a US music form and made it Australian, the traditional yarns of the bush set in simple melodies which left the emphasis on the story.

We might be one of the most urbanised countries on the planet, but the bush is still definately in Australia's heart.

Uniquely Australian (none / 0) (#35)
by TaoJones on Tue Sep 23, 2003 at 01:15:21 AM EST

Being a USian, the name Slim Dusty means absolutely nothing to me. But now I'll look him up on the 'net, sample a bit and if he really is all that, I'll buy a CD or two.

The RIAA really has a lot to learn...

good article + comments (5.00 / 2) (#30)
by Attercop on Mon Sep 22, 2003 at 09:38:35 AM EST

This article (and the comments) made me really glad to have checked kuro5hin tonight.

I'm not a big fan of Country music, but I liked Slim Dusty. He had a dignity a lot country artists don't have. Wit, gentle positivity, and distinct class transcend genre I think.

News happens every day, it sort of blurs together into the big "parade" that is the world... but Slims passing, for me at least, is one of those things that makes you realise time is actually going by.

The Australian image is typically thought of as being macho, beer drinking, bronzed etc etc. But when you think about it, the biggest heros really seem to be smart, humble people, like Bradman, Simpson and his Donkey, Henry Lawson and Banjo Patterson, and Slim Dusty.
Those are the kinds of people that make me happy to be Australian. (I can't say our current government, media personalities, or foreign tourism campaigns that apparently constitute "Australia" do the same)

Gods speed Slim.

+1 FP (5.00 / 1) (#33)
by rmg on Mon Sep 22, 2003 at 11:49:26 PM EST

i didn't vote for it, but since it seems like the style is to post topical comments with no content beyond a one line explanation of why the poster voted "+1 FP," i figured that was a bandwagon i better hop on!

_____ intellectual tiddlywinks

And who can forget... (none / 0) (#34)
by adamba on Mon Sep 22, 2003 at 11:58:26 PM EST

...his immortal turn with the Wiggles on "I Love to have a Dance with Dorothy"!!

"Oh here comes Captain Feathersword,
here comes our pirate friend,
he dances jigs and hornpipes,
and nobody dances better than him."

Hmmm, first Clifford, then Caillou, now Slim...a rough couple of weeks for children's TV stars.

- adam

Hmmm (none / 0) (#43)
by slycee on Sat May 08, 2004 at 08:49:38 AM EST

I see

I love to have a beer with Duncan.... (none / 0) (#40)
by Cackmobile on Fri Sep 26, 2003 at 10:22:03 AM EST

Slim Dusty rest in peace. That guy seemed like on of the most down to earth, Oz guys around. Everybody loved him. I am no fan of country music but I loved his music. You can't go past Pub with No Beer. Legend

.....cause Duncans my mate!

Slim Dusty dead at 76 | 43 comments (39 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)