How to Stop Receiving Credit Card Offers

By coderlemming in News
Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 06:02:20 PM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

Tired of annoying "pre-approved" credit card offers? I sure am. According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) of 1970 as amended in 1996, the four major credit bureaus have the right to sell your information to companies that want to offer you a credit card. Fortunately, the amendment also stipulated that credit bureaus must provide a way for consumers to have their names excluded from pre-approval lists. If you're a United States citizen sick of getting pre-screened credit card offers, this article will show you how to avoid receiving them.

I'm a college student, currently in my fourth year. I got a credit card in my name during my freshman year. I've carefully paid off the full balance every month, simply using the credit card for convenience as "plastic money" in an effort to build my credit rating. I appear to have done all too well.

I receive on the order of two or three new credit card offers every week. Apparently creditors just love college students, and they absolutely adore a college student with good credit. Some offers tell me that "All of the other students at Worcester Poly Inst are getting a card", and one offer was even themed as a supposed instant messenger conversation between two students.

It came to a head last month. I had been on vacation for a month and a half, during which time my mail had piled up. When I got home, fully two thirds of all of the mailings I received were credit card offers. Several times I received multiple competing offers from the same bank. I decided that I needed to take action.

As a conscientious credit card user, I rarely have the need to actually use the credit being offered to me. Balance transfers at lower rates simply do not interest me. Low limited-time APRs that expire in three months are equally unimportant. The environmentally conscious hippy inside me deplores the resources wasted to send me offers for credits I simply do not want. If I ever want a new credit card, I'll apply for it myself rather than responding to a pre-approval offer.

Fortunately, hidden away in the fine print of every single pre-approved offer sent to consumers is a paragraph stating how to prevent credit bureaus from including you in pre-screened lists. If you're like me and always end up throwing these offers away, I urge you to follow one of these procedures to notify the four credit reporting agencies of your request to opt out.

Opting out by mail

You can write to the four major credit bureaus individually to request that your name not be included on their pre-screened lists. Send a letter indicating your intention to opt out, including your phone number, name, ZIP code, mailing address, and Social Security Number to each bureau. If you've moved in the past six months, you should include your old address as well.

The information below was compiled by examining the websites of the bureaus in question and comparing the data found with the information in the fine print of my credit card offer. Equifax and TransUnion both hid the information in small links at the bottom of their pages, but who can blame them?

• Equifax

Equifax Options
    PO BOX 790123
    Atlanta, GA 30374-0123

• TransUnion

TransUnion LLC's Name Removal Option
    PO Box 97328
    Jackson, MS 39288-7328

• Experian

Consumer "OPT-OUT"
    901 West Bond
    Lincoln, NE 68521

• Innovis

Most people have only heard of the three credit bureaus above. Innovis Data Solutions seems to have snuck into the business quietly in 2001. Unlike the other three bureaus, Innovis Data Solutions does not directly sell credit reports to creditors. Instead, they help creditors compile marketing lists by providing two services: Failsafe and New Movers. FailSafe compiles a list of consumers who may present a credit risk, helping creditors pare down their marketing lists. New Movers is a monthly list of who's moved. That deluge of mail that arrives almost before you do at your new house is due in part to Innovis Data Solutions.

Innovis Data Solutions' website is a rather spartan affair devoid of much useful information. I can't seem to find an address to which to mail an opt out request. I imagine that an address could be found by calling their customer service number, but this is not necessary if you opt out by phone.

Notifying all bureaus with one phone call

1-888-5-OPTOUT is an automated service run jointly by the four main credit bureaus. With one phone call you can opt out of pre-screened mailings from all four bureaus.

1. Call 1-888-5-OPTOUT.
  2. Select option 2 to skip a message about an internet email (described below).
  3. Select option 2 to opt out of mailings permanently. Be careful, because option 1 only opts you out for two years.
  4. Follow the prompts to enter your phone number, name, zip code, address, and social security number.

The service states that your request will be processed within 5 business days, and a "Notice of Election" form will be mailed to you.

Some controversy exists surrounding this number. How can we be sure that it is legitimate? Why is a social security number required?

To further confuse the issue, an email forward spread across the internet starting in July of 2003, spreading some mis-information about this phone number. Nevertheless, the FTC lists the phone number on their website, so I guess we can assume that it is legitimate.

Exercising my right

I chose to opt out using the 1-888-5-OPTOUT phone number. The process was simple, and I was told I would receive a letter confirming my intentions by mail within a week or two.

o Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
o credit card
o Worcester Poly Inst
o Equifax
o TransUnion
o Experian
o Innovis
o snuck into the business
o website
o controvers y
o email forward
o Also by coderlemming

How to Stop Receiving Credit Card Offers | 78 comments (47 topical, 31 editorial, 2 hidden)
alternative method: (1.33 / 12) (#18)
by reklaw on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 09:06:45 AM EST

suicide.
That trick never works... (3.00 / 9) (#46)
by Whizard on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 11:00:31 PM EST

Nope, death doesn't work. My dad died almost 2 years ago, and I'm still receiving credit card offers for him, since I had his mail forwarded to my address. Today, I got one for my grandfather, who's been dead for almost 5 years.

So Lawrence Lessig, John Perry Barlow, Rusty, and Prince are having dinner...
a bit drastic (none / 0) (#53)
by brainsick on Tue Mar 02, 2004 at 07:51:51 AM EST

I'm now wearing my morning coffee, thank you very much.

Seems a bit drastic, but I do believe it would work.

but why? (none / 0) (#61)
by emmons on Wed Mar 03, 2004 at 03:00:15 AM EST

Surely it's neither comfortable nor stylish. Is this a new fad with which I'm unfamiliar?

In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams

Well it's out of edit (none / 1) (#22)
by godix on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 10:19:24 AM EST

but I'd like to see a couple questions answered anyway. Is the opt out tied to my name/ssn or to my address? In other words, if I move would I have to opt-out again at the new address? What about phone # changes? What about people who marry/divorce and change their name? Does the opt out cover my family or would I have to do seperate opt outs for me, my wife, kids, dog, fish, whatever? Are companies I currently deal with, like my bank, going to follow the opt out or would those companies still spam me?

The article would be better if you dealt with questions like this, as it is the article has a personal diary feel to it.

It's dawned on me that Zero Tolerance only seems to mean putting extra police in poor, run-down areas, and not in the Stock Exchange.
- Terry Pratchett

answers (none / 1) (#23)
by coderlemming on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 11:00:18 AM EST

The opt out is tied to you as a person, or more specifically to your credit report.  I believe this will stay with you when you move, marry, divorce, etc.  This doesn't have anything to do with your bank, just the four companies I listed in the article.  You can call your bank separately to opt out of their marketing.

As for the rest, perhaps so... be gentle, it's only my second try :)

Go be impersonally used as an organic semen collector!  (porkchop_d_clown)

Nope (none / 0) (#58)
by solstice on Tue Mar 02, 2004 at 03:35:18 PM EST

I opted out at my old address and it worked great. When I moved, they started up again almost immediately. I think you need to opt out any time something that you entered changed.

Nice how-to but ... (none / 3) (#31)
by ajkohn on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 02:01:16 PM EST

Honestly, isn't this something that I couldn't have found out through a quick google search?

Also, while offers like this can be a bit annoying, I've been able to move debt around via one-year 0% offers (no transaction fees) because of mailings just like the ones you don't want to receive.

Car needs a major repair and 'bang' Optima gives me a one year interest free loan. Why not beat them at their own game? Use the money and pay it off or transfer it to another low or 0% rate when the jig is up!

Also, I'd be more interested in this article if you brought the environmental aspect into this article. How many trees on average are pulped per person via these solicitations?

0 from me.

"Just because something bears the aspect of the inevitable one should not, therefore, go along willingly with it." - The Transmigration of Timothy Archer

Stop paying your bills and file bankruptcy? [n/t] (none / 0) (#32)
by Pop Top on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 02:51:56 PM EST

Won't work (none / 1) (#42)
by FlipFlop on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 09:35:02 PM EST

If you stop paying your bills, they will continue to send you pre-approved offers for credit cards--seriously! If you don't pay your bills, they charge you 27% interest, plus late fees, plus over-the-limit fees, etc. If you still don't pay your bills, the credit card companies mark the total amount off as a loss and cry to congress that people are taking advantage of them.

From what I've heard, if you file for bankruptcy, they will send you even more offers (because you can't file again for another 10 years).

AdTI - The think tank that didn't

Any ideas (none / 0) (#33)
by Happy Monkey on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 03:46:33 PM EST

on how to get the GOOD offers? Like cards with 5% cash back from certain stores, etc?
___
Length 17, Width 3
Did it work? (none / 0) (#37)
by claes on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 06:18:33 PM EST

I would LOVE to be rid of the damn things. That and the stupid check-things they send. They scare the hell out of me. Just what I need is some low-life dumpster diving and writing checks from my credit card!

-- claes

access checks (none / 0) (#39)
by coderlemming on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 07:58:12 PM EST

This won't make your credit card company stop sending access checks.  This won't stop ANY mail from a company you already have an account with.  To stop the access checks, maybe you should call the customer assistance line and assure them that you have plenty now.  I'd be interested to find out if it works.

Go be impersonally used as an organic semen collector!  (porkchop_d_clown)
Worked for me... (none / 0) (#47)
by Whizard on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 11:02:11 PM EST

It worked for me with Discover, but I can't guarantee that it'll work with all the companies.

So Lawrence Lessig, John Perry Barlow, Rusty, and Prince are having dinner...
Shred them (none / 0) (#55)
by LoneWolf on Tue Mar 02, 2004 at 10:48:39 AM EST

I shred all those access checks before disposing them to avoid just that.

they must love engineers (none / 1) (#38)
by IsaacW on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 06:57:39 PM EST

i, too, am a student at wpi... an electrical engineering major, in fact. i get a ton of these offers, at least one a day, and i have a similar profile to yours. they must figure that engineers will have to use credit to keep up with the joneses at some point... glad i'm going to grad school.

wpi (none / 0) (#40)
by coderlemming on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 07:59:18 PM EST

I have a suspicion that WPI is selling our information.  They certainly never told us they wouldn't...

Go be impersonally used as an organic semen collector!  (porkchop_d_clown)
I wouldn't be surprised (none / 1) (#43)
by geesquared on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 09:47:17 PM EST

As a WPI alum, I know for sure that they send me WPI "branded" credit card offers every 6 months or so. This despite my having opted out via the 1-800 number you mentioned in your post.

I also suspect they sell my name to other colleges, since I get tons of junk from every other school under the sun touting MBA's, graduate degress, and once even a beautician certificate.

And, of course, there is the joy of them calling me and harassing me for money.

So, look forward to a long and fruitful time of being exploited because you've gone to WPI.

GREs? (none / 0) (#60)
by emmons on Wed Mar 03, 2004 at 02:56:23 AM EST

Did you take the GREs? I don't know about the College Testing Board, but the organizations for the ACT and SAT exams quite willingly sell student information to just about anyone...

-Douglas Adams

Student Loans? (none / 1) (#48)
by curunir on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 11:09:30 PM EST

Do you have Student Loans? If so, that's probably the reason for your popularity. Taking on (and not defaulting on) loans makes your credit report look really good.

WPI (none / 1) (#41)
by niku on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 08:04:08 PM EST

Woo hoo! WPI in the "press". :)
Nicholas Bernstein, Technologist, artist, etc.
Why are half of the addresses wrong? (none / 2) (#44)
by brettd on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 10:00:01 PM EST

Out of brazen curiosity/paranoia, why was it that I could only confirm one of the credit bureau addresses via google? And got an address in Texas for one of them, not Nebraska?

Folks, do yourselves a favor and look up the addresses yourselves, I wouldn't send MY name, DOB, SSN, etc to an address some guy on kuro5hin(or anywhere else for that matter) posted up. Who knows, maybe it's his own address, and he's running a nice identity theft scheme?

Overly paranoid, but given the info being sent, look up the address yourselves, I'd say. It would have been much better for the author to have linked us to the pages on each of the bureau's webpages describing the opt-out procedure.

Small Mistake (3.00 / 6) (#49)
by evin on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 11:41:44 PM EST

Looks more like he just didn't take the time to double check things, not that he's attempting anything nefarious.

Equifax should be 740123 instead of 790123.

Transunion is correct.

Experian is correct as well, although there is a Texas address too.

Innovis seems to be:
Consumer Opt Out
P.O. Box 219297
Houston TX 77218-9297

oopsies (none / 0) (#57)
by coderlemming on Tue Mar 02, 2004 at 02:56:10 PM EST

My bad... guess my handwriting sucks.

Go be impersonally used as an organic semen collector!  (porkchop_d_clown)
Mail 'em back (3.00 / 5) (#45)
by htmltidy on Mon Mar 01, 2004 at 10:59:13 PM EST

Why not do the obvious thing, and simply stuff their own business reply envelope with their own junk (minus identifying numbers/etc. of course) and mail it all back to them in the nice postage will be paid envelope?

That way, you get to achieve two things. One, you gain more revenue for the postal service, offsetting the fact that your 37 cent first class postage stamp is subsidizing these fools to send you 12 pounds of paper for 7 cents. And, two, you get to raise their costs of doing business, because the little known fact of the business reply envelope is that not only do they pay first class postage rates (yes, a full 37 cents like the rest of us who don't qualify for the 7 cent rate) but they also pay a fee for the privlidge of paying 37 cents, meaing that every one of those envelopes you mail back, stuffed with their own paper, costs them somewhere around 50 cents each.

So, suddenly, that one mailing cost them printing + 7 cents + 50 cents instead of just printing + 7 cents. If enough folks mailed back the envelopes, they simply couldn't afford the expense.

Plus (none / 1) (#50)
by jotango on Tue Mar 02, 2004 at 03:47:31 AM EST

They have to open the envelops, check that there really is no valid application (probably even checked by a supervisor) and discard the trash, paying recyclign charges.

Sounds like a plan!

exactly (none / 2) (#54)
by cheeze on Tue Mar 02, 2004 at 09:10:44 AM EST

I did this for about 2 months and it worked great. It takes a while for them to get the point. Make sure to send back the whole application including the part with your name and address on it with a big "NO THANKS" written on the application. If you don't send in the application with your name and address, they won't know how to remove you from their list. They also usually screen them by weight, so if you stuff it with additional crap, they usually just shred it.

The only junk mail I get now is mortgage refinance crap. If you ever buy a house, make sure to tell your lender that you don't want them selling your information. I get 3 or 4 mailings per day wanting me to refinance at the "New Low Rate" that just happens to be more than I already have, and there's just about no way to get off of those lists.

Another idea (none / 0) (#68)
by jakeda1derdog on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 11:26:57 PM EST

I send them a work of art. granted i'm not a well known artist yet, but maybe, someday, the customer service rep will be able to sell one of my original works, oil pastels on pre-approved credit application, for 100,000 bucks!

But, Hey, you never know!

**shhh, i can't hear the voices in my head with you talking**

Another method.... (2.91 / 12) (#51)
by AceJohnny on Tue Mar 02, 2004 at 06:20:15 AM EST

I rather liked this (bash.org) method...
<wolf> 1. Save every Free Credit Card Offer you get, Put it in pile A
<wolf> 2. Save every Free Coupon You get, put that in pile B
<wolf> 3. Now open the credit card mail from pile A and find the Business Reply Mail Envelope.
<wolf> 4. Take the coupons from pile B and stuff them in the envelope you hold in your hand.
<wolf> 5. Drop the stuffed to the brim envelopes in your mail and walk away whistling.
<wolf> I have now received two phone calls from the credit card companies telling me that they received a stuffed envelope with coupons rather then my application. They informed me that it they are not pleased that they footed the bill for the crap I sent them. I reply with "It says Business Reply Mail" I'm suggesting coupons to you to ensure that your business is more successful. They promptly hang up on me.
<wolf> Now, I did this for about a month before it got boring, so I got an added idea! I added exactly 33 cents worth of pennies to the envelope so they paid EXTRA due to the weight. I got a call informing me about the money, I said it was a mistake and I demanded my change back. After yelling at the clerk and then to the supervisor they agreed to my demands and cut me a check for the money. I hold in my hand at this very moment a check from GTE Visa for exactly 33 cents.

Xacto knives are your friends (3.00 / 8) (#52)
by htmltidy on Tue Mar 02, 2004 at 07:43:59 AM EST

If you use your handy dandy Xacto knife (what, not everyone has one, well, go get one if you currently are without one) to neatly remove from the envelopes the barcode and number under "customer tracking number" then they won't be able to trace the envelope back to you. If the can't trace the envelope back, they don't know which one person should stop receiving offers.

This way they have two choices. Continue sending offers to everyone, which raises their expense when the envelopes return from a bunch of "everyone", or, better yet, stop sending the crap to everyone. Given sufficient return rates on the envelopes, the "stop sending them at all" choice will become the profitable move.

I can hear someone now saying "but they will just stop sending out the envelopes in their mailings". Well, no, that isn't likely to happen. Why? Think about it, the response rate (the legimate response rate for mass mailings) is already abysmally low to begin with and that's with them footing the bill for return postage. If those 1-2% who do respond have to now go get their own stamp, then 95% of them will not bother to respond. This will further cut the response rate, likely to the point where a mass mailing is no longer profitable.

You can also ignore the "tampering with this envelope and it's contents could result in legal action" phrase. You'll note it's worded in very stern sounding, but wishy-washy language ("could"). It's a standard lawyer trick, make it sound "official" and most lemmings will obey, even if there's no legal basis at all for it. Tampering with the mail is an offense, yes, but that offense can only occur once you drop the letter into a USMail box. Correcting their envelope to be anonymous before you mail it is not an offense at all. They just want you to "believe" it's a problem.

more trouble (none / 0) (#56)
by phriedom on Tue Mar 02, 2004 at 02:02:49 PM EST

1. Isn't it less work and more effective just to opt out? 2. Of all the ways a business could attept to contact me, I find junk mail to be the least intrusive. My solution is paper shredder + curb side recycling.
I don't ask for much, I just want a lot of it.
We should have a contest (none / 0) (#62)
by bjlhct on Wed Mar 03, 2004 at 03:48:07 AM EST

for best stuffing.

Chewed gum? Dirt? Glitter? Heavy wire?

[kur0(or)5hin http://www.kuro5hin.org/intelligence] - drowning your sorrows in intellectualism

Glue it to a large peice of concrete/brick /NT (none / 0) (#67)
by Pholostan on Thu Mar 04, 2004 at 11:59:53 AM EST

- And blood tears I cry Endless grief remained inside
how did they know it was him? (none / 0) (#73)
by samething on Sat Mar 20, 2004 at 05:42:42 PM EST

He sent them an envelop filled with coupons, and they responded to him?

How did they know the envelop was from him?  I didn't think the envelops had any individually identifying information?

Direct Marketing Association (none / 2) (#63)
by daigu on Wed Mar 03, 2004 at 02:34:53 PM EST

You missed one option. Contact the Direct Marketing Association and add your name to their Mail Preference Service. It doesn't get everything, but for $5 it is worth getting 95% less junk mail for 5 years - for credit and anything else.

Huh? (2.75 / 4) (#64)
by awgsilyari on Wed Mar 03, 2004 at 02:58:42 PM EST

Why anyone would object to companies sending you free fuel for your wood stove and campfires is beyond me...

--------
Please direct SPAM to john@neuralnw.com
filtering (none / 2) (#65)
by eudas on Wed Mar 03, 2004 at 05:21:51 PM EST

because, in delivering free fuel, they are mixing it in with legitimate mail, thereby inducing a cost (in terms of time and mental processing) associated with filtering mail from fuel.

eudas
"We're placing this wood in your ass for the good of the world" -- mrgoat

Well (none / 2) (#66)
by awgsilyari on Wed Mar 03, 2004 at 07:00:41 PM EST

[Disregarding the facetiousness of this thread...]

I get my mail out of a mail closet on the opposite end of the parking lot, hence in the time it takes to walk back to the apartment from getting the mail I have ample time to sort through the items and chuck the junk into the recycling bin, which happens to be along the path between the mail closet and my apartment.

Effectively no wasted time at all, since the time would have been occupied by the walking regardless.

Then again, I'm also a person who doesn't mind receiving spam -- because I develop AI spam filters and to me, that's training data, not junk.

--------
Please direct SPAM to john@neuralnw.com

recycling (none / 1) (#74)
by nh1 on Tue Aug 03, 2004 at 01:25:19 PM EST

Isn't that rather a risk of identity theft?

Because it's filled with ink and plastic? (none / 1) (#70)
by cburke on Wed Mar 10, 2004 at 12:59:54 AM EST

Maybe not so much the ink, but the plastic for those little address windows would be nasty to burn.  You'd have to carefully separate everything... it isn't worth it.  Go find some fuel in the woods.

Sometimes it doesn't work (none / 2) (#69)
by caveat emptor on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 11:18:36 PM EST

Once I got an offer from Capital One. Usually, I would stuff the business reply envelopes with junk and send it back. But this time I decided to try something different: with a large felt-tipped marker pen, I wrote "PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME ANY MORE OFFERS" across the application, and sent it back.

Lo and behold, 2 weeks later, I get a Capital One credit card in the mail.

So I called them up: do you have a copy of my application, for I never filled one out. They said, yeah we do. So I said, can you send me a copy?

And I get a printout from a database which showed the fields that had been filled into the application. All the fields were empty, except for my address.

I wish there was a way I could sue these guys in court, like this guy sued a junk faxer and collected $6K!.

Same problem, but with magazines... (none / 0) (#75)
by Pkchukiss on Sun Sep 05, 2004 at 04:25:40 AM EST

I used to get Readers Digest from a local subscription company. But when I decided to cut it, they tried sending me letters asking me to "re-subscribe at a special preferred subscribers' rate". I ignored the first few ones, but the last three got on my nerve (how many "final offers" do they have?), and I wrote in bold across the reply form "DO NOT SEND ME ANY MORE MAIL!", before sending the letter royally on the way.

They did stop sending me Readers Digest related mail. Then they started touting Newsweek. So far, I've received offers to subscribe to The Herald Tribune, Time, and goodness knows how many more to come?

Don't these companies ever give up?

________________
Ignorant no more
My blog

I WANT to receive credit card offers! (none / 0) (#71)
by neomonkey on Wed Mar 17, 2004 at 08:08:07 PM EST

I used to get them, pre-approved and all, years ago.  I wonder if it has anything to do with having filed Chapter 7 twelve years ago?   You would think they would have forgotten by now...

If goatse is not the answer to this problem... (none / 1) (#72)
by justaghost on Thu Mar 18, 2004 at 03:28:33 PM EST

...then it isn't really a problem, is it?

-----

Not strong, only aggressive
Not free, only licensed
Not compassioniate, only polite
Not good, but well behaved.

Opt Out on line (none / 0) (#76)
by natanbhai on Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 01:19:44 PM EST

If you want to opt out of credit card offers, go to www.optoutprescreen.com.  At this site you can opt out for 5 years or permanently.  It covers all 4 credit reporting agencies: Equifax, Transunion, Experian and Innovis.

A better way to review credit card offers (none / 0) (#77)
by credit card offer on Wed Aug 24, 2005 at 05:14:36 PM EST

The problem of receiving a deluge of credit card offers in the mail usually starts with some initial interest in a credit card application where you have to give your mailing address. I encourage my users to avoid this step by using a secure online application to apply for a credit card. Feel free to learn more about online credit card offers at Find-A-CreditCard.com.
Find-A-CreditCard.com features credit card offers and credit card applications for a variety of credit cards.
this worked (none / 0) (#78)
by dwight0 on Mon Dec 12, 2005 at 04:14:10 PM EST

this worked for me, you just register on a site and a week alter it all went away. http://dwightrau.blogspot.com/2005/11/credit-card-offers-opt-out.html