Congrats Rusty

By phr in News
Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 02:08:44 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

It looks like Rusty has gotten a daytime gig as an Internet big cheese. I notice that the sidebar blurb of Armstrong Zúniga LLC (a web consulting shop for political campaigns) now says:

Rusty Foster joined Armstrong Zúniga in February of 2004 as CTO. Rusty created the Scoop software platform in 1999 and founded Kuro5hin.org the same year. Kuro5hin is widely recognized as a pioneering project in collaborative media, and Rusty has written and spoken extensively about the potential of the internet as a medium for collaboration and grassroots organizing.
More...

Armstrong Zúniga is run by Jerome Armstrong of MyDD.com (an influential political blog from last year) and Markos ("Kos") Moulitsas Zúniga of Daily Kos, a very active political news/discussion site now powered by Scoop. Daily Kos is a big Scoop success story, having exploded in growth since switching to Scoop from Movable Type. It's almost certainly the biggest Scoop site now, claiming 3 million unique visits per month and showing far more daily postings than K5; it seems to be carving out a space as the Slashdot of center-left US politics.

So it looks like Rusty now has steady work doing Scoop stuff (reading between the lines it sounds like he's now the chief geek of Daily Kos and presumably manages Armstrong Zúniga's clients' site development too), relieving him of some financial stress I'm sure, and we'll all get to see the Scoop software scale to run sites that are very visible and make a difference way beyond the insular techie world. This sounds great for everyone concerned. Congrats Rusty.

o Slashdot
o Scoop
o Armstrong Zúniga LLC
o Daily Kos
o powered by Scoop
o Also by phr

Congrats Rusty | 246 comments (225 topical, 21 editorial, 0 hidden)
I guess this means that the guys... (2.37 / 8) (#3)
by V on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 05:44:43 PM EST

... haven't seem the wasteland that kuro5hin has become. Not that I complain, though.

V.
What my fans are saying:
"That, and the fact that V is a total, utter scumbag." VZAMaZ.
"well look up little troll" cts.
"I think you're a worthless little cuntmonkey but you made me lol, so I sigged you." re
"goodness gracious you're an idiot" mariahkillschickens

dailykos vs k5 (2.75 / 4) (#5)
by phr on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 06:04:42 PM EST

Dailykos actually has much worse trolls and flamers than K5 does, but also has a lot of good posters, and very vigilant moderation. I looked at it once in a while in its Movable Type days and it's gotten a lot better under Scoop. DK moves at more like Slashdot speed than K5 speed, i.e. a dozen or so new front page posts every day, so old threads don't linger and putrify for nearly as long the way they do on K5. The diary section over there is very active, and the readers are a tough crowd.

They anonymized me. (nt) (1.50 / 4) (#11)
by Danzig on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 07:03:01 PM EST

Bastards.

You are not a fucking Fight Club quotation.
rmg for editor!
If you disagree, moderate, don't post.
Kill whitey.
The system works. (none / 1) (#59)
by anticlimax on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 04:05:16 PM EST

the main difference (none / 0) (#81)
by Delirium on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 05:39:28 AM EST

On dailykos, the trolls are the people who post most of the frontpage stories. It's like the Rush Limbaugh of the left: some facts, but mostly spin.

Deaniacs (none / 0) (#129)
by tps12 on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 08:16:13 AM EST

The media kept wondering what Dean's huge population of Internet supporters would do once he withdrew his candidacy. I guess now we know.

Wasteland? (2.80 / 5) (#6)
by Danzig on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 06:05:29 PM EST

Honestly I think the quality has improved since approximately the new year, but YMMV. Rusty still reads the site (well either that or someone has hacked his account). Other than the search function, which hopefully he will be working on if he has a job with DailyKos, what else is even wrong?

You are not a fucking Fight Club quotation.
rmg for editor!
If you disagree, moderate, don't post.
Kill whitey.
Funny thing (2.16 / 6) (#26)
by rusty on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 10:18:42 PM EST

I haven't posted a diary since the new year, and coincidentally the stories have seemed to be a lot better. Hmmm.

Not the real rusty
on the other hand (none / 2) (#80)
by Delirium on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 05:38:39 AM EST

The quality has markedly decreased since the new year before that.

Don't shit where you sleep [n/t] (none / 0) (#58)
by anticlimax on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 04:01:15 PM EST

This is interesting and all (2.33 / 6) (#10)
by godix on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 07:00:31 PM EST

but if K5 is going to be told about it should it be Rusty doing the telling?

It's dawned on me that Zero Tolerance only seems to mean putting extra police in poor, run-down areas, and not in the Stock Exchange.
- Terry Pratchett
I wonder too (none / 1) (#13)
by phr on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 07:22:34 PM EST

why we didn't see any official announcement. But it's all public info. I found out about it from the Armstrong Zúniga site while chasing down some stats for a diary entry I was writing congratulating Daily Kos for becoming such a successful Scoop site. Anyway, if Rusty sees the story, maybe he'll say something.

I just hope Rusty realizes... (2.50 / 18) (#15)
by Steve Ballmer on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 07:50:41 PM EST

no one is going to pay him for staring into a woodstove all day.

I hate it if I don't understand a joke ... (nt) (none / 0) (#69)
by mami on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 11:51:50 PM EST

Klicken sie (2.66 / 6) (#72)
by Steve Ballmer on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 02:01:49 AM EST

hier.

Danke sehr, mein Herr, (none / 0) (#96)
by mami on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 02:45:38 PM EST

das erklaert natuerlich alles...

That Kos Kook??? (2.13 / 15) (#16)
by NaCh0 on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 07:50:43 PM EST

A man is judged by the company he keeps. I just lost a lot of respect for Rusty.

K5: Your daily dose of socialism.
Kos is not a kook (none / 2) (#17)
by phr on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 09:01:07 PM EST

He's further to the political left than a lot of internet geeks who don't see much of the real world, but seems to be about where Rusty has always been. So your respect level for Rusty should stay about where it was before, whether that level was high or low.

Kos (2.33 / 9) (#25)
by rusty on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 10:17:47 PM EST

Although you wouldn't know it from some of the people who post on dKos, Kos himself is a very centrist democrat. I mean, I don't know what your politics are, but my politics and his are pretty similar. So, if you've lost respect for me, it was respect you wouldn't have had to begin with if you knew me better I guess.

Not the real rusty
His politics are not the issue. (1.14 / 7) (#47)
by Danzig on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 08:08:16 AM EST

His censorship is the issue. I do not appreciate my unique and insightful viewpoints being silenced just because some loser admin has some bullshit "no trolling policy" or whatever. At its heart, this is a character issue - does he support our freedom or not? Well, he has censored me and does not support President Bush. The answer is clear: Mike hates our freedom.

You are not a fucking Fight Club quotation.
rmg for editor!
If you disagree, moderate, don't post.
Kill whitey.
This is why I'll never join DK (2.66 / 6) (#48)
by pyramid termite on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 08:29:11 AM EST

Sites that actively discourage dissenting viewpoints so the community's viewpoints aren't challenged aren't really interested in a free exchange of ideas.

It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain their present level of participation after the election - I kind of doubt they will.

On the Internet, anyone can accuse you of being a dog.
Mike? (none / 1) (#54)
by rusty on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 12:05:03 PM EST

You sure we're talking about the same guy?

I don't know. The site's a lefty blog. Personally, I see it much the same as you, and I like that K5 has a variety of political views represented. But dKos takes as a starting point that democrats should win and Bush is evil. I'm sure you're welcome to have dissenting opinions, but no one there really wants to read them. That's not what it's about.

Not the real rusty

Mike, Markos, whatever. (none / 1) (#56)
by Danzig on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 03:00:52 PM EST

It's not like I could look it up without hitting the back button you know. Or opening a new window. Or something else that would require effort.

As near as I can tell, I really did get anonymized... well at least I got my diary privileges revoked, and I don't think I can post comments there either. I was trolling, but not in a particularly destructive manner... no WWWWWWW tests or GNAA membership drives or anything. Just the advancement of an unpopular (and likely nonsensical) viewpoint.

You are not a fucking Fight Club quotation.
rmg for editor!
If you disagree, moderate, don't post.
Kill whitey.
Sites like that ARE the problem though (2.55 / 9) (#64)
by trhurler on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 06:28:05 PM EST

I mean, hey, if it works for you as a day job, go for it, but circle jerks among people who all agree with each other on a mainstream viewpoint really are both boring and evil. Boring, because even if you agree with said viewpoint, you already know everything that is ever going to be said, and evil, because they attract the worst sort of intellectual scavengers and hangers on. People like Electric Angst, for instance, whose actual thought processes(which of course they don't admit to,) consist entirely of efforts to think up ways of justifying their preformed decision that X is good and Y is bad because X belongs to my posse and Y belongs to theirs.

Also, in particular, leftism is so last century. I mean, Democrats can't even find a platform to run on. Kerry's whole campaign has been 1950's style union/corporate class warfare, which sounds to the majority of the middle class to be awfully discordant with reality, and the other candidates were either throwaway issue candidates(Sharpton,) completely unelectable(Kucinich, Dean) or poor imitations of Kerry(Gephardt, etc.) Now that Kerry is trying to appeal to people who aren't hardcore Democrats, his whole message has shifted to "Let's all hate George Bush," because he has no real issues to run on that appeal to most people. The United States political left is completely intellectually bankrupt. The right isn't much better, and in some ways their impact is worse due to their present popularity(I sure hope this gay marriage amendment thing tanks, for instance,) but at least they HAVE ideas they're willing to admit to in public.

I hate mainstream politics, though. What a sad, sorry pathetic little man's game.

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

sounds like you always need to have (none / 3) (#67)
by mami on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 11:50:19 PM EST

an opposite view from the mainstream view, just because it's so boring to agree with a mainstream view. That's terribly boring too. One knows beforehand you always try to find something oppsosing for the sake to oppose.

American media always make a big fuss to make sure that there are two opposing, braindead opinions. I wonder why. Are you so insecure and scared that someone could detect you don't like democracy and free thinkers too much and therefore need to "put up a show".

No (none / 0) (#151)
by trhurler on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 05:42:49 PM EST

If I ever saw a mainstream point of view that struck me as correct, I'd go for it, because that'd be much easier. The problem is, Henrik Ibsen's famous "the majority is always wrong" quote is very, very close to correct. The mainstream views that are either correct or close enough to be tolerable are not in need of discussion; it is the areas where there are problems that come up, and in those cases, when is the mainstream viewpoint(or any mainstream viewpoint, if there are several,) actually correct?

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

Hmm (none / 0) (#70)
by rusty on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 12:22:42 AM EST

In case it wasn't clear, dKos is not my site. I make sure it stays on the net and available, but as far as work goes, it's very much a sideline. I find it occasionally interesting to read, but I don't really have any interest in arguing about its merits with you. I say this just because I don't like leaving your obviously heartfelt post hanging here with no response.

Not the real rusty
I understood (none / 0) (#152)
by trhurler on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 05:46:49 PM EST

I didn't know how involved you were with it content-wise, but I did understand the nature of your job, which is specifically why I say that if that or work you get because of that pays some bills, good deal.

Anyway, I don't doubt that interesting things crop up on the site every now and then; that happens anywhere people are talking. But, I still have discussions I participate in and ones I don't, and I imagine you do too; I bet you're not big on Free Republic, for instance:)

But seriously, in general, intellectual monocultures are bad, even if they have lots of good ideas. I should know; I have experienced the most insane one ever(ever meet any self-described Objectivists?) and somehow come out with my brain intact:)

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

True enough (none / 0) (#153)
by rusty on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 06:28:25 PM EST

I have noticed that the great majority of things I do post there are in the general vein of "challenging conventional wisdom." But I largely agree with the politics there, so it isn't likely to draw a lot of discussion out of me.

I also would say that within the overall agreement that democrats are good and republicans are bad, there's an awful lot of room for argument between the site's users. Those basic tenets are not generally questioned, unless your name is Zell Miller, but within the big tent there are knives just as long as those outside.

Well, at least they're not Objectivists! :-)

Not the real rusty

Well, well... (2.25 / 4) (#88)
by Stick on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 11:27:43 AM EST

"I sure hope this gay marriage amendment thing tanks"

You planning to tie the knot then?

Stick, thine posts bring light to mine eyes, tingles to my loins. Yea, each moment I sit, my monitor before me, waiting, yearning, needing your prose to make the moment complete. - Joh3n

You only wish (none / 0) (#149)
by trhurler on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 05:39:46 PM EST

No means no, pervert.

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

Hipsterism (none / 1) (#91)
by Perianwyr on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 12:51:21 PM EST

So last century. Worst insult ever. Ooh. Hurts to laugh so much.

know it all (3.00 / 5) (#92)
by anonymous cowerd on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 01:26:20 PM EST

What a sad, sorry pathetic little man's game.

Get serious for once, trhurler. It's hardly a game. Before I go any further I'd also like to note that your characterization of Kerry's campaign as "1950's style union/corporate class warfare" is pretty daft; don't you mean "1890s style" or "1930s style"? I guess youngsters like you don't have too much of a clue about what the 1950s were like. Well, I don't suppose one can accuse a self-described ideological Randite as having any grasp of real-world history whatsoever. You say:

Well, not everything is opinion, you know. At least not for non-Randites, who admit the possibility of useful knowledge that is not a priori, and who occasionally even change their minds. By an extension of your logic, all political ads (well, at least all the one's which any given reader would find sympathetic) are not merely superfluous but "boring and evil."

I myself agree with the general viewpoint of what I would call "center-left" weblogs (what you, in your moderate and reasonable fashion, would probably call "Khmer Rouge weblogs" or "totalitarian pedophile statist weblogs" or something else similarly moderate and reasonable like that). Nevertheless I learn a great deal from reading them: specifically the news.

For example, here, on Kos, is an article about the inside dealing in the fabrication of the new Iraqi constitution. Did you know that Chalabi is siding with Sistani and stiffing Washington? I didn't; for that matter I probably wouldn't have guessed. Here's an article by Max Sawicky, who learned economics elsewhere beside out of a bad pop novel, on consumer debt. If as you assert, the reader "know(s) everything that is ever going to be said" then any MaxSpeak reader could have ginned up those graphs, yes? No. Here's a little piece by Professor Brad DeLong on the so-called "output gap" and what it means viz. the Fed's interest rates. you "knew all that already? my my aren't you smart and well-informed. While we're doing graphs, here's another item from Brad DeLong's weblog, complete with a rather amusing graph, concerning the Duh-Byuh Administrations fanciful employment forecasts and their sad fate after they collided with reality.

And finally, one does not live by facts alone. Sometimes one just wants a big deep belly laugh, which, here, John and Belle supply - well, I laughed, at least.

Yours WDK - WKiernan@ij.net

Give me a woman that loves beer and I'll conquer the world - Kaiser Wilhelm

Er... (none / 1) (#148)
by trhurler on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 05:39:04 PM EST

First of all, I'm not what people like you call a "Randite." The usual term is "Randroid," by the way, and it's a lot more clever. But, having read certain books does not mean I entirely agree with their content or that I regard them dogmatically.

Second, the "news" available from such sites is generally about as fact checked as one would expect. Rumors are passed around as "news" if they support the views of the site's members, and as "vicious lies" if not. Hard facts are awfully hard to come by.

Also, you do realize that while the 30s saw the popularization of unions, they didn't start really pushing hard to elevate wages to insane levels for even their unskilled laborers and so on until later, and they started succeeding in the 50s, right? The overall "mood of the decade"(what a useless and fictitious concept anyway,) may not have suggested it, but the real rise of labor extended over the middle of the last century - coincidentally, immediately prior to when foriegn manufacturers started their ever-increasing eating of our lunch due to costs here.

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

More than that (2.72 / 11) (#66)
by localroger on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 06:40:25 PM EST

On the political sites, especially the leftist sites which attract rightist trolls, you see where trolling really leads when it is allowed to reach Caroline Hubert-esque proportions.

The Freepers who troll Kos and other sites like Democratic Underground trolls make K5 trolls look like three year olds having a pillow fight by comparison. They think nothing of issuing death threats, posting peoples' real ID, mailbombing users, running DOS attacks on linked sites, crapflooding discussions and linked blog reply forums, and anything else they think will shut the site down, as soon as possible. They aren't having fun. They are deadly serious and they are ruthless. That is why they can't be allowed to post. DU tried to allow all comers for a long time but eventually they were forced to start moderating.

K5 trolls aren't in the same league; they're just juvenile pissheads who don't have enough to do, not dedicated ideologues who are willing to spend large amounts of both time and money deliberately trying to shut K5 down, steal the ID of its users, and frame us all for whatever crimes are possible. But given time enough and passion, that is where it tends to lead. All it takes is one or two certifiable whackos and the same choice will manifest itself here.

What will people of the future think of us? Will they say, as Roger Williams said of some of the Massachusetts Indians, that we were wolves with the min

why call them troll? (3.00 / 4) (#86)
by speek on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 09:17:29 AM EST

Everything bad, insincere, destructive, inane, attention-seeking, and loud gets called a troll. You'd probably call math theorems that resort to reductio ad absurdum trolls. What you do helps destroy a word and conflate several different issues. Some bad some good. By your definitions, I'd have to call you a troll.

Non-diverse, self-congratulating communities end up saying stupid things like this.

al queda is kicking themsleves for not knowing about the levees

Umm... (none / 0) (#90)
by HappySocialtarian on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 12:49:12 PM EST

Those activities aren't particular to one partisan group or another nor the politically motivated. K5 trolls have done most (if not all) of these things), as have leftist ones. In some cases, the terminology might be a bit different, but it's all the same thing.

Juvenile? (none / 0) (#113)
by gzt on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 09:23:44 PM EST

I think the partisan ideologues issuing death threats [etc] are quite juvenile. That they get so much more bent out of shape than these K5 trolls makes them look more so. So very petty and small!

You speak with authority (none / 0) (#133)
by sllort on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 10:39:50 AM EST

on a subject you know nothing about.
Warning: On Lawn is a documented liar.
That's all well and good (2.37 / 32) (#18)
by Michael Moore on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 09:23:40 PM EST

But from what I understand Rusty Foster was paid seventy thousand US dollars to start a Collaborative Multimedia Federation, and we've seen nothing of this. Thanks to loyal Kuro5hin readers like us, and using our generous donations as capital, Rusty Foster has built himself a poweful political career, no doubt receiving large sums of money from his new work as a political campaigner. Rumours abound that the latest redecoration of his yacht's interior cost over fifty thousand dollars alone. What can his most loyal of followers do but question Rusty's actions here? I think I speak for the majority of us what I say that I hope to see some results from Rusty in the near future regarding his promised Collborative Multimedia Federation. If he's not willing to work on this project despite all the financial contributions and moral support from his community, he should admit this to us and himself, and hand over the reins to somebody who still cares.

"My life was more improved by a single use of [ecstasy] than someone's life is made worse by becoming a heroin addict." -- aphrael
Hehehe, suckers [n/t] (none / 0) (#126)
by melia on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 05:56:05 AM EST

Disclaimer: All of the above is probably wrong
Rusty works with Trippi? (none / 3) (#19)
by mami on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 09:28:28 PM EST

Real cool. Go for it. :-)

Congrats, dawg (2.37 / 8) (#20)
by Worker Bee on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 09:38:44 PM EST

Why didn'tcha tell us though?

THE WEAK AMONG US CLAMOR ABOUT ETHICS BECAUSE IT'S THE ONLY CHAIN THEY HAVE LEFT TO SHACKLE THE STRONG.

Rusty's ashamed of us. /nt (2.25 / 4) (#98)
by Steve Ballmer on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 03:01:50 PM EST

That's great (2.50 / 16) (#23)
by JayGarner on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 10:15:15 PM EST

Since he'll be so busy, I recommend Rusty turn over the reigns to kuro5hin to TexBigballs.

+1 Funny [nt] (1.25 / 4) (#55)
by vyruss on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 01:53:41 PM EST

• PRINT CHR$(147)

It wasn't meant to be [nt] (2.25 / 4) (#85)
by Stick on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 08:01:42 AM EST

Sitck is right, I was serious. (nt) (none / 2) (#87)
by JayGarner on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 11:24:21 AM EST

The only way you could be serious about this (none / 1) (#235)
by vyruss on Wed Mar 10, 2004 at 08:23:58 AM EST

is if you were Tex. <g>

• PRINT CHR$(147)

he did (none / 3) (#134)
by Wah on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 01:31:16 PM EST

last summer. Just search for...uh well.  Trust me on this.
sometimes things just are that way and that's it. They're true. Sure, Popper, et. al., may argue otherwise, but they're dead. You get it? Yet?
Netcraft confirms! (2.32 / 25) (#24)
by rusty on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 10:15:42 PM EST

Yes, this story is all true. Mainly the good news is that Scoop is getting a lot of interest in political and grassroots type circles, and AZ were quick to get me involved after Kos switched his site to it. Sorry if it seems like I was keeping it secret -- I didn't mean to. It just didn't occur to me to be all making announcements about it or whatever. That is the reason I've been posting a lot less here, too. I'm busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

And one other point I can confirm, daiykos is the busiest Scoop site I'm aware of now. That thing is cranking.

Not the real rusty

With you (2.50 / 14) (#30)
by Tex Bigballs on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 11:02:23 PM EST

it's more like an ass-licking contest. Speaking of which, how much kissing up do you have to do to ride the coattails of other admins who actually take care of their site?

Vacation? (2.62 / 8) (#31)
by rusty on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 11:07:40 PM EST

You haven't really been up to snuff lately, Tex. It's kind of getting me down. Is there anything I can do to help? Do you need a vacation? We could probably arrange for a fill-in while you're away, just to keep the name alive, you know.

Not the real rusty
Yeah I bet (2.60 / 23) (#33)
by Tex Bigballs on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 11:12:30 PM EST

you'd like nothing more than to personally "fill me in" rusty.

Anyway, I can tell I struck a nerve here. Must have been right on the mark about this one.

That's a little better, thanks. :-) (none / 2) (#40)
by rusty on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 12:57:04 AM EST

Not the real rusty
You two and your sweet talk . . . (none / 1) (#76)
by Dphitz on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 03:23:10 AM EST

Get a chat room already.

God, please save me . . . from your followers

I've noticed this too (none / 2) (#46)
by imrdkl on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 05:49:29 AM EST

It just drops its zeros on those it despises, and wanders sadly away.

Offtopic - what happened to.... (2.75 / 4) (#34)
by mumble on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 11:15:32 PM EST

Hey,

I guess you are super busy, but I am wondering what happenend to the promised monthly site update notices, and work on the cmf? I keep going back to the cmf mailing list, and nobody has posted anything recently...

Thanks for any update.

-mumble.

-----
stats for a better tomorrow
bitcoin: 1GsfkeggHSqbcVGS3GSJnwaCu6FYwF73fR
"They must know I'm here. The half and half jug is missing" - MDC.
"I've grown weary of googling the solutions to my many problems" - MDC.

Yes, DailyKos is eating your lunch. (1.85 / 7) (#36)
by ninja rmg on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 11:26:59 PM EST

There's no reason we can't turn that around though. You just have your people contact my people.

Eating my lunch? (1.50 / 3) (#39)
by rusty on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 12:56:13 AM EST

Surely you meant "buying my lunch."

Not the real rusty
Well, now that you can eat lunch everyday, (2.40 / 5) (#43)
by ninja rmg on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 01:55:53 AM EST

We can expect neglect. I've always said a hungry slave is a busy slave.

I always thought a hungry slave (none / 0) (#95)
by mami on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 02:39:35 PM EST

is a angry slave. Just watch ...

You've been watching too much Spartacus. (none / 0) (#97)
by ninja rmg on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 02:52:59 PM EST

No, the fact is slaves are very submissive in nature. They do not have the fire in their souls to get angry as you suggest. Rather, hunger devours their spirits, leaving only a void of sullen obediance.

I am sure you never were a slave (none / 0) (#108)
by mami on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 07:43:54 PM EST

but sure would make a good master.

That depends on whether you're addressing me (none / 0) (#109)
by ninja rmg on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 07:46:27 PM EST

Or my typist.

well, people who have typists these days (none / 1) (#111)
by mami on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 07:51:31 PM EST

are not fit for survival. So the problem of your masterly aptitude to slavishness resolves itself into irrelevancy. You are dead before you know it.

Mami are you recruiting (none / 0) (#124)
by livus on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 04:18:33 AM EST

for a master, or just flirting?

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

behave yourself (none / 0) (#162)
by mami on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 10:00:14 PM EST

if I would ever flirt, then only flirt with slaves.

And you are grounded. Do your homework and learn to respect the elderly.

ooooh! (none / 0) (#241)
by livus on Sat Mar 13, 2004 at 06:21:56 AM EST

stop it, I'm blushing now.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

you should, (none / 0) (#242)
by mami on Sat Mar 13, 2004 at 06:58:52 PM EST

it has been the third time you ask me if I am recruiting (whomever, whatever). Seems your repertoire of meaningless comments is somewhat limited. Shame on you.

it's a running joke of mine, that's why n/t (none / 0) (#243)
by livus on Sun Mar 14, 2004 at 01:30:41 AM EST

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

So tell us... (3.00 / 3) (#37)
by Bloodless Creep on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 12:34:10 AM EST

...whatever happened to that policy of "I'll post an update whenever I've got something to tell you guys" that you sorta-kinda in an unannounced way replaced the monthly updates with?

Welcome to the world of politics [nt] (1.50 / 3) (#84)
by Stick on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 07:59:48 AM EST

Rusty, if you're up for it, (2.40 / 5) (#41)
by phr on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 01:29:11 AM EST

why not cancel this submission (I don't mind) and post your own announcement instead.

Why? (none / 2) (#51)
by rusty on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 11:58:08 AM EST

This one's fine. I don't think I'd have said anything different.

Not the real rusty
Could you tell us more ... (none / 2) (#45)
by leoaugust on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 02:16:22 AM EST

Could you tell us more about the customization that you have done for the political/grassroots sites? I would love to see more details on the scoop.kuro5hin.org site.

I am exploring a request from a political candidate to create a grassroots site. I want to use scoop for his site (and for other candidates if it works).

Keep up the good work, and hope you have wider success.

The eyes cannot see what the mind cannot see.

Um (none / 2) (#52)
by rusty on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 12:02:18 PM EST

That I can't really talk about that much. It's an odd business, working for campaigns, and we are expected to generally keep quiet about who our clients are and what we do for them.

Give it a little time, and we'll certainly put up information on armstrongzuniga.com about any client sites that are ok with us using them as a public example.

In general, though, I can tell you that simplifying the interface is a good place to start. A lot of the user preferences that we use here can just be removed entirely, and the comments only really need to have a nested mode and a flat mode. We've also done some work with collecting more info about people who sign up, like name and address and stuff, which will get back into Scoop when it's shapes up into something better than a quick hack for a particular site.

Not the real rusty

"Um," yourself. (none / 1) (#166)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 03:26:45 AM EST

Working for campaigns, you ought to know damned well that the FEC (or local equivalent, for non-federal elections) requires candidates to publicly report all expenditures, including payments to consultants. In other words, your client list is, or will soon be, a matter of public record.

So why are you ducking the question?

Yup (none / 1) (#182)
by rusty on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 10:43:00 AM EST

I'm sure you'll enjoy reading every FEC report, gleefully rubbing your sweaty little hands together. It's nice to have such a dedicated stalker.

Not the real rusty
Stalker? (none / 1) (#188)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 12:57:26 PM EST

I'm no stalker, but if flinging the term around makes you feel better about dodging the question, well, have at it.

But you're right, it wouldn't be all that hard to point 'grep' at every 3P/schedule-B. So why not just answer the question?

Do you really think you're doing your firm any favors when you make it look like you've got something to hide? Morover, is it really all that wise to base your conclusion, that the information will stay hidden, on the assumption that the curious will be every bit as lazy as yourself?

Not hiding anything (none / 1) (#191)
by rusty on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 01:17:36 PM EST

Like you say, everything that's public is public. Have at it.

Not the real rusty
If you're not hiding, then answer the question. (none / 2) (#194)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 02:36:06 PM EST

Yes, I can do the search. But you and I both know that it will be more work for me to do the search than it will be for you to just tell us who your clients are.

No, no. You're not hiding anything, no sir. You're just making it as difficult as legally possible to actually obtain certain information.

Would you respond to a reporter the same way, rusty? Do you think it would have a favorable impact on the article thus produced?

"Armstrong Zuniga refused to answer our questions, but a search of the FEC database revealed the following list of clients, and the dollar amounts they paid to the firm..."

It seems to me that next to your fecklessness, your biggest problem is your almost comical bungling of the most basic PR situations. I honestly can't decide if I ought to laugh or shudder at the idea of you working in politics.

Reporters (none / 2) (#195)
by rusty on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 03:00:03 PM EST

Yup. Why would I want to save you effort?

Ha! I'm afraid your inflated self-image is getting in the way again. This isn't a PR situation, this is me amusing myself by responding to some internet kook. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes it's too much fun seeing what you'll come up with next.

But to answer your question, if asked this by an actual reporter, I'd refer them to Markos. Of course, a reporter would be likely to do their own research, rather than whine when I won't do it for them. A reporter also wouldn't be asking me this sort of thing to begin with, because they'd have already talked to Markos and would just be asking me about the technology.

So what do you do for work now, Ed? It's occurred to me lately to wonder. You seem to know a lot about everything. I'm curious how you come by your wisdom.

Not the real rusty

I read a lot. (none / 1) (#197)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 03:49:46 PM EST

And I work as a property manager these days, among other things, which gives me a nice, flexible schedule.

If you don't think reporters badger officials in public, or ask the "wrong" officials when they want questions answered, then you're pretty damned out of touch, Lawrence.

But enough of the puffery, eh? Let's get this party started.

The first bit of this little investigation is going to be easy— it says right there on the Armstrong Zuniga home page that you guys worked for Howard Dean, and it didn't take much effort to find that Dean For America spent $6000 on your outfit in in January alone.

It'll take a few hours to put some scripts together, so you've got a bit of a grace period, but believe me, I don't think Kos will be happy to learn that you're the one who provoked the minor shitstorm that's liable to erupt once Dean's payouts to Kos hit the politics-wonkery bits of the "blogosphere." He's not exactly trumpeting the financial relationship on DailyKos, is he?

And yes, reporters do threaten recalcitrant but vulnerable sources in the real world, rusty; they just usually do it in private. I, on the other hand, am fairly comfortable being perceived as the Toad King of All Assholedom, a fact that a brighter rusty would have figured out and taken into account by now.

Oh no! (none / 1) (#199)
by rusty on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:11:24 PM EST

You're going to expose all of the secrets we hid in public documents available on the intarweb! What will we do?

Sure they do. And I guess I will overlook that you're not a reporter, seeing as how I'm neither recalcitrant nor vulnerable.

Ah, would that it were so. Unfortunately you're perceived as just some bitter monkey who can't stand to see someone else happy while you're stuck out there in the rain trying to track down those damn keys to apartment 12 again. By all means, though, you should try for Toad King of All Assholedom. I like to see people with aspirations.

Not the real rusty

Come on then, you little chicken-shit. (none / 0) (#202)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:20:39 PM EST

Re-enable diary posting for my (so far unused) DailyKos account, if you're really so big and brave.

Priceless. (none / 1) (#204)
by it certainly is on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:33:09 PM EST

I thought it was bad enough that you only post to K5 to attack rusty, but now you're following him to whatever POS website he opens next...

Baaa.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Godwin's law [...] is impossible to violate except with an infinitely long thread that doesn't mention nazis.

Careful where you point that thing, Mr. Isn't. (none / 0) (#208)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:39:17 PM EST

For someone griping about posting only to "attack," you seem to spend an awful lot of your time here following me around, screeching and nipping at my heels all the while.

Don't leave me, Ed! (none / 1) (#213)
by it certainly is on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 05:07:47 PM EST

I know it. Once this story dies down, you'll leave again and I'll have nobody to argue with, except perhaps Nathan. And perhaps the crapflooders. But none of them are so delightfully pedantic as RobotSlave, the guy who never fucks up even when he fucks up.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

That doesn't sound so bad. (none / 0) (#216)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 05:50:21 PM EST

Nathan's an excellent and interesting debator, I think. I wouldn't want to tangle with him on classical music, and he'd trounce me in any theological debate that went into any historical depth, but damn, I'd sure get a lot out of those debates.

But hey, let's face it— my tastes make me a bit of a freak here in what Kos would call the "netroots," and which I would call the "nerdosphere," if I weren't so sceptical of those who somewhat desperately start coining words when their odd little notions fail to make a dent in the collective psyche.

And incidentally, that "careful where you point that thing" warning goes double for pedantry, Mr. Isn't, but we've already been around the track a few times on that one, haven't we?

Bah. Shut up, both of you (3.00 / 3) (#217)
by lyingflamebot on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 05:56:24 PM EST

And get a room, already

more lyingflamebot plz (none / 0) (#218)
by Battle Troll on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 06:25:20 PM EST

plz post pix k thx
Skarphedinn was carrying the axe with which he had killed Thrainn Sigfusson and which he called 'Battle Troll.'
Njal's Saga, ca 1280 AD
<3 (none / 0) (#221)
by Sock Puppet on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 07:34:07 PM EST

a/s/l?

Oops. (none / 0) (#207)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:37:44 PM EST

Mea Culpa.

Over two months ago ... (none / 1) (#209)
by pyramid termite on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:39:59 PM EST

... Kos had a disclaimer on his page, right under his name, saying that he worked for the Dean campaign.

You really are a Master of the Obvious, aren't you?

On the Internet, anyone can accuse you of being a dog.
Link, please? (none / 0) (#210)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:43:06 PM EST

I searched for an announcement or disclaimer, but I didn't find one.

"Had" (none / 2) (#223)
by pyramid termite on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 08:00:50 PM EST

It's no longer there because the Dean campaign is no longer there. Or anywhere.

Obviously, you're a Johnny-come-lately to this site. Obviously, you're just bringing this up to stir shit around.

You're a bitter little fuckhead, ain'tcha?

On the Internet, anyone can accuse you of being a dog.
Perhaps. (none / 0) (#224)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 08:09:10 PM EST

"You're a bitter little fuckhead, ain'tcha?"

Meow.

Of course, you probably still won't get it.

Cascade time!! (none / 1) (#226)
by pyramid termite on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 08:22:53 PM EST

>Meow.
Meow.

>Of course, you probably still won't get it.
Of course, you probably never had it to start.

On the Internet, anyone can accuse you of being a dog.
Meow. (none / 0) (#229)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 08:27:01 PM EST

Your application for K5 housecat ... (none / 3) (#231)
by Henrietta Pussycat on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 08:36:36 PM EST

... is rejected. We do not feel it appropriate to have more than one cat on this website and we are that cat.

You owe me an ounce of catnip. Give it to me now and I won't play mousey with your pecker.

Fluffy owns news AND K5
What about (none / 1) (#240)
by whazat on Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 06:12:26 AM EST

Kitten?

lol (none / 1) (#211)
by kos on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:45:09 PM EST

For someone who styles himself to be an interprid reporter, you sure came up with one big empty non-story!
The first bit of this little investigation is going to be easy-- it says right there on the Armstrong Zuniga home page that you guys worked for Howard Dean,
Good investigating! I can tell that you are good at this. We hadn't meant for anyone to see our super secret website, but we didn't count on you hitting the scene.

But then again, not such good investigating given you wrote this:

If you were the intrepid reporter you think you are, you would've unearthed this:
I spent this weekend in Burlington, VT, where we officially accepted work on behalf of presidential candidate Howard Dean. Dean joins a Senate candidate in our still small but hopefully growing roster of clients.
Oops. You missed that one, huh? Sigh. You also missed this one.

There goes your big scoop -- poof! -- up in a cloud of smoke. But you are more than welcome to fantasize about your Big Media Scoop and the "shitstorm" you are about to spur.

Just don't be surprised when your rantings are met with looks of puzzlement and yawns.

Oh, one more thing: regarding that FEC report regarding our payments from the Dean campaign, how about you go back to all the previous reports, not just Q4. We worked for Dean starting in June 2003. Find out how much we made total. Go ahead! You're the intrepid reporter.

Well, well. (none / 0) (#214)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 05:24:14 PM EST

Look what the tide brought in.

For starters, Mr. Kos, I don't think too highly of the "point by point rebuttal" format, but if the crutch works for you, then by all means, go ahead and use it.

Now then.

Hey, wow, you admitted a while ago to working for the guy who I said you'd already admitted to working for. Gosh, you've really busted me there, haven't you?

Are you ready to talk dollars and cents, Kos? It's all very well to admit you've gone to work for a guy, but like the song says, money changes everything. And are you prepared to answer my initial question? Who's on your client list, Kos? Who else are you accepting money from?

Actually, I did read that other post, but I'll admit I stopped when I got to the part where Kos the political consultant started primping himself on his "outsider" status. Give us a break, Kos. The more effective you are as a consultant, the further "inside" you are— and that's a matter of definition, not opinion. Where do you think you'll be if your "netroots" (and I don't know how you can use that neologism with a straight face) revolution gains traction? That's right, buddy— right at the heart of the inside. Now that I've read the rest of the post, I see that in it you reveal... absolutely nothing relevant to this debate at all. Gee.

Crap, Kos, I didn't say you were hiding your consulting site. I did say that you and Jerome arn't exactly trumpeting the amount of money the candidates have handed you (Like the $16,000 from Dean from Q4/03-present) on DailyKos, and that Armstrong Zuniga (or rusty, at any rate) is sure as hell acting as if there's something to hide when it comes to your client list.

So tell us:

Who else are you working for, Kos?

Deep subject, shallow mind (3.00 / 5) (#225)
by pyramid termite on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 08:18:07 PM EST

Because you get your ass handed to you whenever someone uses it against you?

Now let's see what the problem is - um, Kos makes money as a political consultant? That AZ has a service to sell people who want to use the internet as an organizing tool and *gasp* they want to make a little money at it while they do? That they don't feel obligated to reveal their clients and their books to somebody who calls themself RobotSlave and has a never ending kooky hard-on for Rusty?

It's time for the facts of life - you're just a random fuckhead loser who'd probably screw up a Happy Meal, much less do useful political advocacy and consulting on the net. Why the hell should Rusty or Kos tell a random fuckhead loser like you anything?

Get a search warrant, RoboCop. If you can't get one, get a life and a clue.

OBDISCLAIMER - I am not a member of Daily Kos. I am not a supporter of the Democratic candidate, preferring the Greens. I am not a political consultant or a webmeister.

I am someone who knows a fuckhead when he sees one.

On the Internet, anyone can accuse you of being a dog.
Meow. (none / 0) (#227)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 08:22:59 PM EST

Meowmeow. (none / 0) (#228)
by pyramid termite on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 08:24:12 PM EST

On the Internet, anyone can accuse you of being a dog.
Meow. (none / 0) (#230)
by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 08:29:30 PM EST

WOOF WOOF (none / 1) (#232)
by Joh3n on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 11:04:20 PM EST

---------------------------------
You can learn a lot about someone by popping in their un-rewound pr0n tape and seeing where exactly they came. [ Parent ]
Baaaaaaa (none / 0) (#239)
by whazat on Thu Mar 11, 2004 at 06:11:22 AM EST

I'm hoping (none / 2) (#172)
by imrdkl on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 05:38:17 AM EST

That the "simple scoop" configuration that we see on these blogs-turned-discussion-sites will be somehow documented and made available in the source code via a set of db defs and setup scripts.

I'd love to dump MT.

where is your mt, anyways? [nt] (none / 2) (#178)
by infinitera on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 10:00:23 AM EST

Check my diary (none / 1) (#196)
by imrdkl on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 03:23:49 PM EST

I posted some picture links there awhile back.

We're working on that (none / 3) (#181)
by rusty on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 10:41:29 AM EST

You still need a server environment that you control to install it though. It's not going to play nice on a generic virtual hosting account probably ever.

Not the real rusty
A quick google for (none / 1) (#104)
by Pop Top on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 03:49:00 PM EST

"political campaigns powered by scoop"

found some interesting sites. Kos was first while Jerry Springer (tea! hee!) was also near the top.

rusty's superior abilities should make it immediately clear which scoop sites are his and which are run by "Brand X" substandard code monkeys.

Scoop direction (none / 2) (#49)
by gazbo on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 10:49:59 AM EST

This article seems to imply that your employment is heavily based around Scoop. Does that mean you've plans for new features or a new direction for Scoop that we'll start seeing in CVS post-1.0, or discussed on the scoop dev list?

-----
Topless, revealing, nude pics and vids of Zora Suleman! Upskirt and down blouse! Cleavage!
Hardcore ZORA SULEMAN pics!

Some new stuff (none / 1) (#50)
by rusty on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 11:57:14 AM EST

Yeah, there's at least a couple of new features that will be added pretty soon. I wouldn't call it a new direction -- people like Scoop because of the direction it already aims, mostly. We'll probably be adding some features that are more of interest to campaigns, but like just about everything in Scoop, they'll be optional.

Not the real rusty
How about a search feature? (2.00 / 4) (#60)
by ninja rmg on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 04:42:08 PM EST

And pagination? Will this new Scoop have those things?

does that mean we can get rid of the google adbar? (2.50 / 3) (#78)
by Delirium on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 05:26:35 AM EST

Now that k5 isn't your main job and all...

Mozilla Firefox + Adblock extension (none / 2) (#132)
by Tex Bigballs on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 10:38:26 AM EST

blocks ads.google's as an iframe quite nicely.

-1, far far FAR too political (1.38 / 21) (#32)
by Hide The Hamster on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 11:11:53 PM EST

Free spirits are a liability.

August 8, 2004: "it certainly is" and I had engaged in a homosexual tryst.

-1: Rusty circle jerk (1.27 / 29) (#35)
by I Hate Jesus on Fri Mar 05, 2004 at 11:23:59 PM EST

Do you hate Jesus too?
Cool. (none / 2) (#57)
by anticlimax on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 03:58:15 PM EST

Good to see that all that hard work is finally getting noticed. Congrats to Rusty for getting a break.

Just for fun... (2.37 / 8) (#62)
by Bloodless Creep on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 05:46:05 PM EST

...head over to the Daily Kos, and do a Comment Search for something. I tried "rusty's priorities" and "DB optimization," with interesting results. If you can't come up with a keyword or two off the top of your head, but you still want to investigate Scoop performance at a high-traffic site, go ahead and try the standard test string.

Morning, Ed. (1.33 / 12) (#73)
by it certainly is on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 02:48:13 AM EST

I was just surfing your web-log community site... no, hang on, that's right -- you don't fucking have one. The nearest you got was being a lowly janitor on a site run by lonely sociopaths. And here's this fucking "Rusty" bastard and he's got two! He doesn't even look after them right but still gets all that lovely, lovely kudos! How dare he!

Here's a suggestion for you: how about you just fuck off and die?

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Morning! (2.25 / 4) (#79)
by Bloodless Creep on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 05:29:13 AM EST

Might want to fish that pebble out of your shoe, dear.

Actually, it's kind of nice to see someone's decided to keep himself consumed with burning, vivid, deathless, and desperately jealous memories of The Adequacy.

I frankly can't remember much of it anymore, myself, but keep up the good work— keep that hate alive, you shining champion of sincerity, you!

Nice try, but no dice. (2.25 / 3) (#82)
by it certainly is on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 06:02:31 AM EST

It's good to see some things never change. It's the same old Ed, with his same old curmudgeon's thesaurus and his same old pop-psychoanalytical style.

I can assure you that the only time I dredge up dead and buried message boards like k22320inchfanAdequacy is when their zombified groupies try to eat the brains of living websites.

Talking of which, is it mere coincidence that your visits are monthly in frequency? Is it the phase of the moon, or is it your menstrual cycle?

YHL (none / 1) (#93)
by RobotSlave on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 02:18:07 PM EST

"Nice try, but..."

QED

Ouch. (none / 1) (#99)
by it certainly is on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 03:15:40 PM EST

Looks like I scored a direct hit. Ed doesn't want to play any more. Bye bye, see you next month.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

But you still have not explained (none / 1) (#110)
by Phillip Asheo on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 07:51:08 PM EST

Why you still hate the adequacy ?

"Never say what you can grunt. Never grunt what you can wink. Never wink what you can nod, never nod what you can shrug, and don't shrug when it ain't necessary"
-Earl Long

Have you stopped beating your wife? (none / 2) (#116)
by it certainly is on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 01:12:32 AM EST

The "why do you hate ____?" tkatchev-mocking thread

hey (none / 1) (#161)
by shoeboy on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 09:02:21 PM EST

We weren't lonely. And Ed was a maintenance engineer.

--Peter
No more trolls!

evening (none / 1) (#164)
by it certainly is on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 01:52:02 AM EST

We weren't lonely.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

And Ed was a maintenance engineer.

What a purdy name for a computer bib-wiping gig. So elby was an "advanced system software architect" for installing and configuring scoop, right? Wank, wank, wank.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

My heartfelt congradulations (2.20 / 5) (#68)
by Nigga on Sat Mar 06, 2004 at 11:50:52 PM EST

Scoop really is a great achievment. I'm glad to see Rusty getting the props he deserves.

--------
The fuck happened to Nigga?

Yes... (none / 2) (#83)
by Stick on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 07:56:36 AM EST

Because he programmed it all himself.

...and yes (none / 1) (#120)
by l3nz on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 03:47:43 AM EST

because he run this for years.

Popk ToDo lists - yet another web-based ToDo list manager. 100% AJAX free :-)

Wrong tense (none / 2) (#140)
by RobotSlave on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 02:01:35 PM EST

You meant "ran," surely.

Yes (none / 0) (#237)
by l3nz on Wed Mar 10, 2004 at 12:57:59 PM EST

I'm not English mother tongue, so sometimes something slips by....

Popk ToDo lists - yet another web-based ToDo list manager. 100% AJAX free :-)

kind of sad... (2.22 / 9) (#74)
by crayz on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 02:59:14 AM EST

...how DailyKos is doing so much better with Scoop than K5 is. Far fewer trolls(almost none), frequent and generally better stories(not that posted K5 stories are bad, but in terms of submissions...), etc.

Interesting question is why K5 is failing while DailyKos is succeeding. Is it the tighter focus, the tighter reigns, or just that it hasn't been around long enough to fail?

K5 just makes me sad. It had so much potential, and its done so little with it.

It is sad. (1.85 / 7) (#75)
by ninja rmg on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 03:21:50 AM EST

All it would take is one little email to good ol' rmg and K5 could surpass all these lame upstarts in a matter of weeks, but oh no, no, no! The current crew know the right thing to do -- i.e. nothing -- and they're not interested in anyone who says otherwise.

Sad!? (2.71 / 7) (#77)
by Ralp on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 04:05:14 AM EST

Honestly, my favorite part of k5 is the trolls.
I hate to say it, but although I do of course enjoy the actual content, without trolls I think it would be a bit too pretentious for me.  They keep everything in context!

Censorship (3.00 / 7) (#89)
by HappySocialtarian on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 12:12:02 PM EST

There aren't many trolls in North Korea, either.

I haven't visited dailykos enough to gauge the activity of its censors for myself (all I've picked up on is its remarkable uniformity), but from the reports I've read, the admins delete most messages that dissent from the status quo.

In other words, their definition of troll spans from goatse to anyone who disagrees with them.

If you share that definition of troll, and your political leanings conform to theirs, then I can see how you could judge it to be a successful site. However, it's never going to be intellectually diverse, you're only going to hear one side. If you don't judge success that way, then dailykos isn't the place you want to go.

Kind of missing the point (2.00 / 6) (#101)
by rusty on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 03:29:16 PM EST

The criticisms of dKos not being "intellectually diverse" are sort of missing the point of the site. It's a partisan site for Democratic party oriented punditry. They actually don't delete that much, but they don't need to because anyone looking for a clash of political viewpoints isn't likely to find it there.

No. (3.00 / 7) (#112)
by HappySocialtarian on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 09:22:09 PM EST

And all the criticisms of North Korea, from the control of information to human rights, are sort of missing the point of that country as well. They all are still valid criticisms.

The point I was making was that, while he may say that "dKos" is better, I say that it all depends on what you mean by better. I don't think that enforced uniformity of opinion is a good thing.

Haha (none / 1) (#136)
by Wah on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 01:41:29 PM EST

Haha, count up the number of dissenting posts here on most "technology and culture from the geek perspective" stories, then count up the number of troll posts.

You'll find a pretty serious correspondence, IMHO.  What you are seeing is an unenforced uniformity of opinion that comes about because people who really think differently don't hang around to discuss things fully and become 'part of the community'.  The way it becomes 'enforced' is when you delete trolls.  It's essentially self-selection when given an open discussion environment like the internet.

Here you just have to filter out the trolls yourself, all with your mind.  From that perspective, dKos is 'better', IMHO.

See how long you like hanging out on the Freeper threads, for instance.  Eventually you'll just become so disturbed by the constant errors of analysis and assuption that you either get banned for trolling or discover another shiny object that makes you happy instead of sad.  So you'll watch that instead.

the whole point of adequacy.org (none / 2) (#160)
by shoeboy on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 08:59:15 PM EST

We demonstrated pretty conclusively that only stalinesque admins can keep a scoop site from degenerating into /. (k5 is far along that path)

--Peter
No more trolls!

Interesting comparison. (none / 2) (#165)
by it certainly is on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 02:08:00 AM EST

Stalin ruled for 26 years, Adequacy only managed one and a half by comparison. Both systems realised the fundamental flaw in brutal dictatorship, which is the exponential effort required to stifle dissent. This is why censoring discussion sites are doomed to failure. Not that Adequacy wanted to be a discussion site, only something that looked like one so you trollzorz could jizz over little kids screaming blue murder at you.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

infromation wanst to b3 FR33 /nt (none / 2) (#183)
by Battle Troll on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 11:12:19 AM EST

Njal's Saga, ca 1280 AD
lolz0rz u hbt r0fl [|\|7] (none / 1) (#184)
by it certainly is on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 11:14:40 AM EST

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

the point (none / 1) (#185)
by Battle Troll on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 11:36:26 AM EST

• frist of all ok thsi is a line of argumnet otfen taken by w4r3z3r5 or theyr infrerior cusins who wnat to abolish law smiply becasue theyv found meens to tecnhicaly circumvnet it
  • secund i dont think taht aquaducy (ror) foudernd smiply becasue it wsa too mcuh effrot. i thnik taht teh editrolls!! (ror) smiply got broed. i mean be honest nwo - wolud yuo rather hvae a RborotSalve or a crapfoloder terorisnig yuor siet?
    Njal's Saga, ca 1280 AD
  • pbpbpbpbpbpbpbpr!!!1! (none / 2) (#187)
    by it certainly is on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 12:13:30 PM EST

• I think you'll find that teenage rebellion rarely breaks beyond the "2 or 3 people" barrier. However, even the most powerful leaders cannot ignore the masses. As they say: if there is hope, it lies in the proles. Adequacy could put up with a few sarcastic stalwarts, but not a whole board of them.
    • I personally think the editors found themselves with diminishing returns on their trolls and that they were basically hosting a discussion site for cynics. Why spend their time and effort hosting that? They wanted an effective troll dissemination site, and they no longer had one.
    • The difference between Ed and the crapflooders is that the crapflooders might grow up and post something of redeeming value.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

As long as we're discussing this... (none / 3) (#193)
    by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 02:19:50 PM EST

...I actually think you were a lot more interested in the poor, unsuspecting, tender-bottomed innocents who stumbled onto the AQ than we ever were, Mr. Isn't. Your patronizing (and continuing!) concern for their welfare was downright creepy (but then, I suppose we liked a bit of creepiness in the mix).

Nor do I think we were particularly "bored" in that difficult stretch just prior to AMD's legal action. If I had to characterize the overall mood of the High Command, I'd say we were upset with the overall decline in the quality of our own work.

The reasons for that regrettable slump were entirely due to a great many board members changing directions in life within a relatively short period. Shoeboy, elby, elenchos, and dmg got new jobs. Streetlawyer got serious about his family (yes, Virginia, sometimes this actually happens, and isn't just spin). I saw something shiny on the ground. bc discovered a new IRC network, which lead to new websites, and new entanglements. Spiralx... well, we didn't actually hear from him, but I think we all can guess, no? cp graduated, moved back to NYC, and then started law school, or got a job, or something. Zikzak moved out West and got back to his roots, bossing around Mexicans by day and watching art films by night. Kip got buried in immigration hassles.

Every happy family, and all that.

With so many shifting their lives about, output declined, which in turn meant less incentive to produce. It was a matter of momentum, and it probably would have turned around sooner or later— these things tend to be cyclical, after all— but AMD hit us when we were down, and now the principals are scattered for good.

Don't forget (none / 3) (#198)
    by shoeboy on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 03:55:39 PM EST

I lost my virginity during the early days of adequacy.org. I just couldn't muster the old bitterness.

--Shoeboy
    No more trolls!

Ed's still got it though. [nt] (none / 1) (#200)
    by rusty on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:12:22 PM EST

Not the real rusty
    Look what you've been reduced to, rusty. (none / 2) (#201)
    by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:17:36 PM EST

And just out of curiousity, tell me:

Is this the first time you've ever disabled diary posting for a DailyKos account before the user posted a single thing to the site?

You sure are acting scared for someone who talks so tough, big guy.

You weren't reading the instructions (none / 2) (#203)
    by rusty on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:28:19 PM EST

Read again.

Oops. (none / 0) (#205)
    by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:33:58 PM EST

Um, those aren't "the instructions," but yeah, my bad.

I'll use the time well, I promise.

The story so far (none / 2) (#220)
    by shoeboy on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 07:19:05 PM EST

Because it isn't wants to get into RobotSlave's pants.

RobotSlave wants to get into Rusty's pants.

Rusty is stubbornly maintaining the ACL on his pants.

I know you're sick of it, but this love triangle is my favorite thing on k5.

--Shoeboy
    No more trolls!

Oh no. (none / 1) (#206)
    by it certainly is on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:37:00 PM EST

I really liked your just-been-laid attitude. The story about leaving the fat bird tied up was hilarious. If your pre-fuck bitterness was anything like your misogynistic act now, I'm glad I missed it.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Actually (3.00 / 5) (#219)
    by shoeboy on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 07:16:30 PM EST

That story is entitled "failing to lose my virginity" for a reason. Think about it my dear friend.

--Shoeboy
    No more trolls!

For those who were not around when aq was active, (none / 1) (#236)
    by Danzig on Wed Mar 10, 2004 at 12:31:27 PM EST

what is your guess as to what happened to spiralx?

You are not a fucking Fight Club quotation.
    rmg for editor!
    If you disagree, moderate, don't post.
    Kill whitey.
    n00b (none / 1) (#238)
    by it certainly is on Wed Mar 10, 2004 at 03:17:52 PM EST

Go read his diarys here and on HuSi. Don't come back until you know:
    • His name.
    • His favourite recreational past-time.
    • His favourite club / squat.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

that's worse than no site though (3.00 / 9) (#114)
    by Delirium on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 09:38:58 PM EST

I consider myself pretty left-leaning (I read Noam Chomsky, for god's sake), and I despise the fact that "a partisan site for Democratic party oriented punditry" is considered a good, or even tolerable thing. Just because I happen to agree with a point of view doesn't mean it's a good thing to have biased propaganda portraying issues in a one-sided manner.

Some times groups want to say things... (none / 1) (#245)
    by Kaki Nix Sain on Sun Mar 21, 2004 at 04:31:30 PM EST

... in their own voice, or have members of the group collaborate with each other without non-members of the group interfering or wasting time questioning basic assumptions or deliberately adding noise. This is natural.

The internet is quite big enough for there to be places for discussions between non-like-minded people/groups and for there to be places for only discussions between like-minded people. Heck there is even room for places that are only pronouncements without discussion. It is a mark of civilized behavior to learn which place is for what and to respect those distinctions.

Sounds a lot .. (none / 1) (#177)
    by Eloquence on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 09:07:22 AM EST

like Indymedia ;-)
    Copyright law is bad: infoAnarchy · Pleasure is good: Origins of Violence
    spread the word!
    Just as long (none / 2) (#180)
    by rusty on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 10:39:37 AM EST

as it doesn't call itself journalism. :-)

Not the real rusty
    k5 dead ? (2.75 / 4) (#94)
    by bugmaster on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 02:19:08 PM EST

Does this mean that k5 is officially dead, now that its founder has moved on to do bigger and better things ? Just curious.
    >|<*:=
    Not at all (2.71 / 7) (#100)
    by rusty on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 03:26:53 PM EST

I'm still here, and K5 will continue as usual. You all are perfectly capable of writing and editing whether I've got a day job or not. :-)

Not the real rusty
    We figured as much. (2.27 / 11) (#102)
    by RobotSlave on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 03:40:16 PM EST

"K5 will continue as usual"

In other words:

K5 won't be turned over to a non-profit organization any time soon, certainly not this year, and perhaps not at all; you won't ever be able to do a comment search; and all other K5-related effort on rusty's part, up to and including occasionally letting you in on what he's up to, is officially suspended until further notice.

Hey, what are you whining about?

It's open source, you lazy ingrates! Get to work, already!

And it wouldn't kill you to buy an ad or two, while you're at it.

Dude (1.85 / 7) (#105)
    by Verbophobe on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 04:41:48 PM EST

You're a dick.

Proud member of the Canadian Broadcorping Castration
    Sure... (3.00 / 5) (#106)
    by RobotSlave on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 05:35:57 PM EST

...but am I wrong?

Rusty, I have a complaint, too (2.88 / 9) (#107)
    by pyramid termite on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 07:26:14 PM EST

K5 doesn't fix me coffee in the morning. Please fix, thx.

On the Internet, anyone can accuse you of being a dog.
    I've had the Coffee beta for months.. (none / 1) (#115)
    by Skywise on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 12:08:28 AM EST

It doesn't even make for a good source of brownian motion.

I heard (2.14 / 7) (#117)
    by rusty on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 01:29:26 AM EST

that HuSi makes all its users coffee in the morning. ;-)

Not the real rusty
    The catch is... (2.40 / 5) (#122)
    by MstlyHrmls on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 04:05:43 AM EST

hulver works on GMT, so I keep getting my coffee at midnight...

- Mike
    Me? I'm Mostly Harmless.

Indeed it does (2.42 / 7) (#125)
    by hulver on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 05:51:21 AM EST

It also bake fresh bread for all its users.

And it does wicked foot massages.

HuSi!

Hey, speaking of which (none / 1) (#131)
    by rusty on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 10:24:56 AM EST

How's your incarnation of search coming along? Any chance of a patch?

Not the real rusty
    Too Late. (3.00 / 4) (#138)
    by RobotSlave on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 01:57:28 PM EST

Sorry, rusty, but you're the one cashing in on Scoop deployment these days. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but you're going to have to accept a little more responsibility along with the money.

The time for Tom-Sawyering the K5 faithful into doing Scoop work for you is now past.

Hell, pb even wrote a working vector-search engine for you, but you couldn't be bothered to figure out some way of hooking it up to your now-lucrative "collaborative media platform."

See, you were in a better position to ask "the community" for help before taking Armstrong Zúniga's money.

Or are you planning to share that consulting cash with all of the Scoop contributors, past, present, and future?

Outrageous! (none / 1) (#176)
    by SimonTzu on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 08:50:28 AM EST

How long did rusty work for free on Scoop? How long did he work taking a salary of far less than what he could have gotten for his skills at market rates?

It is only just that he's now getting a decent income for his vision in creating the engine and hard work in getting k% to where it is today.
    Simon Tzu
    Storyteller
    www.deeptalent.com

But that's just it... (none / 1) (#192)
    by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 01:33:06 PM EST

"How long did he work taking a salary of far less than what he could have gotten for his skills at market rates?"

You know, I don't think rusty's been doing construction piecework for his father-in-law's friends during the summer months due to some allergy to recieving "market rates" for his "skills."

Look, as I wrote in my previous post, I've got no problem with rusty earning a little scratch off of Scoop. I wouldn't bother repeating myself, here, but you seem to have some sort of reading comprehension problem, or maybe you just got so angry that you decided to ignore what I'd actually written.

Y'know (none / 1) (#170)
    by gazbo on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:31:24 AM EST

I still maintain it's at least worth seeing how much it'd cost to bribe the MySQL developer who wrote the full-text search to port it to InnoDB. I doubt there's any technical reason why it can't be done, and from what I've inferred it would not only be a huge speed boost, but also a feature enhancement (that's already built into Scoop).

-----
    Hardcore ZORA SULEMAN pics!

Apparently (none / 1) (#179)
    by rusty on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 10:38:48 AM EST

Custom enhancements start at $9500. Probably fair, but a lot more than I've got to spend on it.

Ah (none / 1) (#186)
    by gazbo on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 11:56:29 AM EST

I'd count that as a compelling reason not to, then.

I was expecting some lonely teenage hacker for whom $1500 would be just the right amount of money to get his leet case-mod finished.

-----
    Hardcore ZORA SULEMAN pics!

Don't even think of it (none / 1) (#234)
    by phr on Wed Mar 10, 2004 at 04:45:27 AM EST

The MySQL text search feature is pathetic for a quickly-updating DB with big text blobs, i.e. a bulletin board. Plus, its search results are awful (it gives you way more results than you want, sorting them in some mysterious scoring order which is useless in practice). It's maybe ok for indexing columns that have names and addresses or something like that.

A program like Scoop is better off with a traditional search engine bolted onto it, than using the MySQL text index stuff.

There is a rough patch. (none / 1) (#173)
    by hulver on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 06:09:24 AM EST

It still needs more work though. I think it would be better if it was able to be stuck on a separate machine.

Also, it doesn't index the archive DB yet.

HuSi!

Ahem (none / 1) (#143)
    by jacob on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 04:08:20 PM EST

I can't help but notice that you didn't mention the pie. Could there be a reason for that?

"it's not rocket science" right right insofar as rocket science is boring

--Iced_Up

Shhh (none / 2) (#174)
    by hulver on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 06:11:28 AM EST

Free pie is only for Cabal members.

HuSi!
    Who the heck (none / 1) (#233)
    by richarj on Wed Mar 10, 2004 at 12:27:02 AM EST

Gets up in the morning anyway?

"if you are uncool, don't worry, K5 is still the place for you!" -- rusty
    I feel your pain, but... (3.00 / 2) (#121)
    by RobotSlave on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 03:53:38 AM EST

...am I wrong?

Enough. (none / 2) (#123)
    by it certainly is on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 04:15:56 AM EST

I don't normally answer rhetorical questions, but I'm willing to make an exception in your case if it'll shut you the fuck up.

Yes Ed, YOU ARE WRONG. Comment search will be implemented before heat-death of the universe. If you don't like being so goddamn wrong, stop using such sloppy wording.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Even if rusty actually promised to fix (3.00 / 10) (#130)
    by Tex Bigballs on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 09:14:05 AM EST

comment search by the end of the universe, his next excuse would be that he never said just exactly which instance of the big bang/big collapse cycle he was talking about.

Want to put money on it? (3.00 / 3) (#137)
    by RobotSlave on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 01:45:57 PM EST

I'll bet you ten of your "quid" that either:

(a) K5 will not be turned over to the CMF, or any other non-profit organization, this year, or:

(b) K5's comment search will not be (re)implemented, in a reasonably usable manner, before the heat death of the universe.

Put up or shut up, you furious little sycophant.

I'm up for betting on (b). (none / 1) (#155)
    by it certainly is on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 07:18:53 PM EST

(a) doesn't concern me, I'm not one of the suckers that shelled out to Rusty's yacht fund.

But I'm ready and willing to obnoxiously keep bringing up your mistakes forever and a day, as it endlessly amuses me. Gimme 500 on (b).

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Better specify (none / 2) (#156)
    by rusty on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 07:29:57 PM EST

Who determines "reasonably useful."

Not the real rusty
    What's a bet without a little risk? (3.00 / 3) (#157)
    by it certainly is on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 07:36:58 PM EST

Besides, if I do lose, what's he going to do with 500 quid at zero Kelvin?

True (none / 3) (#158)
    by rusty on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 07:44:22 PM EST

I was thinking about it from the angle of how you'll collect when you win.

Not the real rusty
    How I'll collect. That's a good one. (none / 2) (#159)
    by it certainly is on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 07:51:36 PM EST

YHBT.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Just so. (none / 1) (#169)
    by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:19:28 AM EST

After all, it was precisely this seemingly incurable habit of rusty's— that of putting the cart several miles ahead of the horse— that gave me the notion to offer the wager in the first place.

But then, perhaps you were too worked up with cackling and rubbing yourself over the word "collect" to notice the humor in rusty's laughably presumptuous "when."

Sorry, you can't alter the terms of the bet. (none / 2) (#167)
    by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 03:48:47 AM EST

Either I'm entirely wrong, or I'm not. That's the bet.

Thus, you'll have to accept both (a) and (b) if you want to take the wager.

But you knew that, of course.

No. (none / 2) (#171)
    by it certainly is on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 04:55:24 AM EST

Either you're entirely wrong, or you're partially wrong. Both ways, you are still wrong. That's the reality of the situation. Are liberalist word-tricks now unacceptable for the new RobotSlave 2.0?

It's pretty simple. Stop sexing up your speculation and I'll stop calling you on it.

By the way, I hope you're remembering that offering a wager to your critics is a favourite crackpot trick.

Yes. (3.00 / 3) (#190)
    by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 01:16:04 PM EST

Either I'm wrong, or I'm not, sweetie. No liberalist word-games, here, just you popping off prematurely. Again.

I thought by now you'd know me well enough to remember just how carefully I measure my words. It's sort of surprising, then, that you've taken another swipe at the tarbaby.

You should have taken the bet as offered, instead of chickening out and trying to turn it into a bet you couldn't lose. This seems to be typical of nerds— they think the point of gambling is to find ways to rig the system in their favor. It just doesn't make a bit of sense to them unless they're cheating.

I can only imagine what it would be like to watch you and localroger play a game of cribbage.

Sure, I realize offering a wager is an old rhetorical ploy, for both crackpot and non-crackpot alike. I also remember, however, that raising the stakes to an unreasonable amount is a classic rejoinder when one doesn't want to take the bet, but doesn't want to look the fool, either.

Heh. Escalation, as always. (none / 1) (#212)
    by it certainly is on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 05:00:42 PM EST

It suits your inflated ego. And you're so sincere about sticking the knife into rusty, too. You are trying so hard to look angry, and when you're angry you get careless.

you won't ever be able to do a comment search

"probably" thrown in there would have done. But it doesn't scan so well. Never mind, poetic license and all that. And then some fuckhead calls you on it. He doesn't care about the merits of your vendetta. What can you do?

A simple "Yeah, OK, I meant 'probably won't ever have comment search'. Whatever. Rusty is still blah blah hampster polish, etc." would have done. In fact, you could do it now.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Well, rusty.... (none / 2) (#215)
    by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 05:32:52 PM EST

...is still blah-blah stupid in-joke, and you're right, I should have thrown in an extra condition for the wager to cover that "no effort on rusty's part until further notice" clause in my intitial statement (which, I might add, still isn't wrong).

Whatever you say, Ed. (none / 1) (#222)
    by Sock Puppet on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 07:43:34 PM EST

The most important question is, "would you like the last word?". I wouldn't like to steal your precious.

Yes (3.00 / 3) (#135)
    by Big Sexxy Joe on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 01:39:51 PM EST

You're wrong for complaining and you're wrong for gay.

I'm like Jesus, only better.
    Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour
    Sadly... (3.00 / 2) (#141)
    by RobotSlave on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 02:07:03 PM EST

...that's pretty much the best apologia the K5 Faithful can offer, at this point.

I don't know. (2.60 / 5) (#128)
    by Verbophobe on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 08:06:22 AM EST

But I do know the following:

Rusty has millions of fans who adore/abhor him.
    You have some guy telling you that you're a dick.

So, for all intents and purposes, Rusty > YUO

Proud member of the Canadian Broadcorping Castration

Um... (2.50 / 3) (#139)
    by RobotSlave on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 02:00:25 PM EST

...sorry, guy, but you haven't done your homework.

See, if rusty has millions of fans, and if a "fan" is someone who either loves or abhors, then trust me, I've got hundreds of thousands of those "fans" you speak of.

What is this, a dick measurement contest? (none / 2) (#142)
    by Verbophobe on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 03:42:07 PM EST

Look, all I was saying is that Rusty > YUO.  Now you're turning around and trying to make this personal?  Like, dude, that hurts, and not in a good callouses-from-masturbation way.  More like the bad I-"accidentally"-sat-on-a-roadcone kinda way.

Proud member of the Canadian Broadcorping Castration
    Nope. (3.00 / 2) (#144)
    by RobotSlave on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 04:12:05 PM EST

K5 isn't a dick-size contest— doing that via internet wouldn't make the slightest bit of sense.

K5 is the flagship site for a somewhat slapdash but modestly successful software platform for collaborative invective.

That platform is misleadingly called "Scoop," which would suggest possible journalistic applications. Real-world deployments of Scoop, however, show that all it's really good for is giving strangers a way to put rants up on the internet, and then insult each other to the best of their abilities.

Since this has turned into a meta discussion... (none / 1) (#145)
    by Verbophobe on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 04:26:11 PM EST

...without my knowledge, I shall promptly retreat.  Well, no, not really.  If you reply I'll reply again.  Perhaps we could have lunch some day?

BTW, the name "Apache" suggests either restoring native-American ancestral rights or killing the fucking redskinned bastards, and I haven't seen it do any of that yet.

Proud member of the Canadian Broadcorping Castration

Really? (none / 1) (#146)
    by theR on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 04:41:23 PM EST

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Show me where the Apaches are. See! Success!

Re: Apache (3.00 / 3) (#147)
    by RobotSlave on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 04:49:51 PM EST

Seems you're either simply ignorant, or not trying very hard, Joe.

Looks like you're trying too hard. (none / 1) (#154)
    by Verbophobe on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 06:41:34 PM EST

And my name's not Joe.

Proud member of the Canadian Broadcorping Castration
    See, that's exactly what I suspected. (3.00 / 3) (#168)
    by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 03:56:14 AM EST

How much thought or effort can one reasonably expect from a guy who thinks a single google search and a minute of cutty-pastey is "trying too hard?"

Do you have a bug up your ass? (none / 1) (#175)
    by Verbophobe on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 08:28:37 AM EST

Or are you just happy to see me?

Proud member of the Canadian Broadcorping Castration
    I'm happy to see you. (3.00 / 3) (#189)
    by RobotSlave on Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 01:00:05 PM EST

But my reasons aren't nearly as flattering as you'd like, sugar.

Open yada yada (none / 1) (#118)
    by bugmaster on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 03:12:09 AM EST

Well, personally I'd really like to see someone fix comment search finally. If not Rusty, then maybe RobotSlave, RMS, ESR, I don't care. I don't know enough PHP or whatever Scoop is built on to do it myself. Now what ?
    >|<*:=
    Jerry Springer is (2.57 / 7) (#103)
    by Pop Top on Sun Mar 07, 2004 at 03:44:37 PM EST

powered by Scoop or so it seems.

LOL!!! (none / 0) (#163)
    by coryking on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 11:18:35 PM EST

That is awesome!!

Look Again (none / 1) (#244)
    by Waldo on Sun Mar 21, 2004 at 02:25:39 AM EST

I would have thought that this was funny if I hadn't listened to a recent episode of This American Life (RealAudio) about Jerry Springer.

Two decades ago, Springer was the heir apparent to the Democratic party.  He was an amazing speaker, extremely intelligent, connected with his constituents as a city councilor, and had the ear of everybody in the party.  He was a guy going places, like the Kennedys went places.  Then he got caught with a hooker.  He paid for a whore with a personal check and got nailed for it.

Amazingly, he bounced back.  A couple of years later, he ran for city council again, and won overwhelmingly.  He then went into TV, and became a beloved anchor and reporter.  After years of that, he was asked to host his own show.  It was popular and made a difference in people's lives.  Then a new producer came in, moved it to the 18-24 male population, it went to shit, and Springer got rich.

That's a lame version of the story, but the point is that he's not the guy that you think that he is.  Listen to This American Life's show about him.  It's fascinating.

-Waldo Jaquith

So happy for Rusty (2.00 / 4) (#119)
    by l3nz on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 03:46:06 AM EST

I'm glad to see Rusty get a day job in one of the hot spots of web communities today. I somehow wonder whether Rusty should have told us before the story got posted, maybe talking about the impacts of this on the whole CMF stuff, but I guess Rusty still has the right to run his own life without 70,000 trolls peeking behind his shoulders. And I guess some real money will help improve Scoop and K5 ever further. So... all the best, Rusty!

Popk ToDo lists - yet another web-based ToDo list manager. 100% AJAX free :-)

The main problem with the Daily Kos (1.50 / 4) (#127)
    by nebbish on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 07:47:20 AM EST

Is that it is so US-centric. I would be there more otherwise.

---------
    Kicking someone in the head is like punching them in the foot - Bruce Lee

Hi, where are you from? (none / 2) (#150)
    by bolson on Mon Mar 08, 2004 at 05:42:30 PM EST

Germany, for examle? If your name is 'kos', open up 'dailykos.de' (or whatever passes for 'daily' in German). If your name is something else, then open up 'dailyYou.de' . Ok, I have not actually founded my own Scoop based site . . . Yet.
    Making Democracy Safe for the World (change the voting system)
    Markos Zuniga (none / 0) (#246)
    by commissar on Sun Apr 04, 2004 at 02:23:55 PM EST

John Kerry has distanced himself from Markos Zuniga's "screw them" comments about the Americans mutilated in Fallujah. Numerous Arab imams have also condemend this. Does Rusty plan on continuing to associate himself with Markos Zuniga?

Congrats Rusty | 246 comments (225 topical, 21 editorial, 0 hidden)