Momofuku Ando, 1910-2007

By LilDebbie in News
Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 09:16:37 PM EST
Tags: Food, Obituary (all tags)
Food

Too often, those who make the greatest contributions to mankind pass away into obscurity, their legacy becoming one with the collective experience. One such man passed away this month. You may not know him or recognize his name, but you have cause to mourn his passing.

And what was his gift to the world? You need look no further than the grey image above these words.

August 25, 1958 is a day that shall live forever in the stomach of every college student, internet nerd, and slacker the world over. On that day, an aging entrepreneur gave birth to Chikin Ramen. From then on, even the most incompetent cook could prepare a hot, satisfying meal for himself following these simple, poetic instructions:
Peel off lid.
Pour boiling water.
Steep for three minutes.
Stir well and serve.
Flash forward to January 5, 2007, Momofuku Ando passed away quietly at the ripe old age of 96. He and his creation were honored by the people of Japan with The Order of the Rising Sun and Most Important Invention of the 20th Century respectively. He spent his autumn years playing golf and eating ramen every day unto his last.

Let us honor his memory by sharing our love for his creation, memories, and our favorite preparations. I am partial to Maruchan's Beef Ramen, seasoned with cilantro and olive oil, and served in the noodle bowl given me this Christmas by my wonderful sister. This love is shared throughout my family; by my parents who had two trays of picante chicken ramen flown in from New York for my brother-in-law, who cannot for the life of him find his flavor locally.

Thank you, Ando-san. For the convenience, for the flavor, for the noodles.

o aging entrepreneur
o Maruchan's Beef Ramen
o seasoned with cilantro and olive oil
o served in the noodle bowl
o Also by LilDebbie

Momofuku Ando, 1910-2007 | 48 comments (46 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
Sorry, two weeks behind (2.50 / 2) (#1)
by debacle on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 11:51:11 PM EST

MTV, VTD.

We've got more important content to roll out.

It tastes sweet.

We do? (3.00 / 3) (#13)
by wiredog on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 11:32:28 AM EST

Which queue are you looking in?

Wilford Brimley scares my chickens.
Phil the Canuck

meh, you've not been posting mlp (none / 1) (#22)
by regeya on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 03:28:54 PM EST

wiredog.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Busted Broke Soup (2.90 / 11) (#3)
by MichaelCrawford on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 12:01:58 AM EST

I can thank my wife Bonita for this filling, nourishing recipe that has got us through some hard times:

One pack ramen
One egg
Some greens such as kale
Water, more than you would use for plain ramen

Boil water. When it's boiling, crack open the egg and drop contents into the water. Add chopped-up greens, noodles and flavor pack.

Turn down the heat a bit and boil until the egg is cooked. I like to have the yolk still soft.

If you can afford to buy it, add some hot sauce or cayenne pepper.

Costs less than a dollar a bowl.

Enjoy!

Looking for some free music downloads?

amen! and let the starch and MSG carry (2.44 / 9) (#4)
by balsamic vinigga on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 12:07:15 AM EST

us all to the ripe old age of 96!

also, what's with that girl that sits by the door on simon's side? Is it her job to sit there and make funny faces or does she actually do something useful?

Please help fund a Filipino Horror Movie. It's been in limbo since 2007 due to lack of funding. Please donate today!

amen to ramen! /nt (3.00 / 2) (#6)
by mybostinks on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 12:31:21 AM EST

heh that was probably a 1940's (2.42 / 7) (#7)
by balsamic vinigga on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 12:38:12 AM EST

bubblegum wrapper joke:

What did the orientles say before supper?

RAMEN!

ROR excellent /nt (3.00 / 2) (#9)
by mybostinks on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 12:45:23 AM EST

what the fuck are you talking about? $ (3.00 / 3) (#20)
by LilDebbie on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 02:38:15 PM EST

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

in other words, "Simon who"? [NT] (2.00 / 3) (#21)
by b1t r0t on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 03:15:44 PM EST

-- Indymedia: the fanfiction.net of journalism.
My favorite ramen recipe... (2.80 / 5) (#5)
by mybostinks on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 12:25:16 AM EST

Cook some ramen
cook some chorizo in a skillet
when cooked, add two or three eggs
scramble the eggs

Add this mess to cooked ramen and mix it up.
Grab a Jamaican Red Stripe beer.

Start programming in C.
I did this for years.
+1 FP...Thanks

Ramen Hokku (2.80 / 10) (#8)
by mybostinks on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 12:43:53 AM EST

Late at night I work
hunger, seek the nested brace
water boils, ramen

Momofuku? (2.28 / 7) (#10)
by RelliK on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 02:48:09 AM EST

Is that japanese for motherfucker?
Under capitalism man exploits man, under communism it's just the opposite.
No, but "wateru" is /nt (2.00 / 2) (#14)
by MotorMachineMercenary on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 11:32:37 AM EST

MMM: the thinking man's idiot
- zombie twisted sandshoe

Are you implying that water had sex? (2.40 / 5) (#15)
by nidarus on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 11:53:36 AM EST

Even if it was with his own mother, it's sort of a compliment for him.

Your sig, :) (none / 0) (#48)
by levesque on Thu Feb 22, 2007 at 10:39:17 PM EST

He did time for tax evasion (2.16 / 6) (#12)
by MichaelCrawford on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 05:15:48 AM EST

But one can hardly consider what he did any kind of offense. From his Wikipedia article:

He was convicted of tax evasion in 1948 and served two years in jail. In his biography, Ando says he had provided scholarships for students, which at the time was a form of tax evasion.

But it was all for the best: he'd previously had a successful business doing something else, but it went bankrupt when he was in jail. He started a new company to find a way to make American wheat (sent to Japan to ease food shortages) more appetizing to the Japanese. This led to his invention of ramen.

I had a noodle bowl for supper - my favorite flavor, kimchi, very spicy. My company buys noodle bowls by the case for us coders to eat.

Live your fucking life. Sue someone on the Internet. Write a fucking music player. Like the great man Michael David Crawford has shown us all: Hard work, a strong will to stalk, and a few fries short of a happy meal goes a long way. -- bride of spidy

Junk food, invented in Japan (2.66 / 6) (#16)
by United Fools on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 12:05:00 PM EST

We are united, we are fools, and we are America!
When I was in the Army, Ramen was A Staple (2.40 / 5) (#17)
by wiredog on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 12:38:26 PM EST

The MREs still had freeze dried meats in them, which we'd add to the ramen. The hot dogs were another good addition.

Wilford Brimley scares my chickens.
Phil the Canuck

What I want to know (3.00 / 2) (#18)
by LilDebbie on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 12:47:20 PM EST

is how the Army developed Cheez-Its with a 30 year shelf life that taste just like Chez-Its.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

Classified: Top Secret FUBAR/NOFORN (2.85 / 7) (#19)
by wiredog on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 01:32:22 PM EST

All the food in MREs is untouched by human hands at all stages of processing, then vacuum packed and hermetically sealed in bags that are resistant to heat, cold, light, dark, Global Thermonuclear War, and Xenomorphs with Acid For Blood.

Wilford Brimley scares my chickens.
Phil the Canuck

A couple of my favorite (2.57 / 7) (#23)
by thankyougustad on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 06:48:13 PM EST

First off, not all Ramen is created equal. I buy Nong Shim Kimchi Flavored Ramen not for the seasoning, but for the quality ramen noodle. Here is a couple of the many ways I prepare it:

Egg and Basil
Break two-three eggs in a bowl and beat them with some chopped fresh basil. But the egg in the ramen about 30 seconds before removing it from the heat. Add a few drops of seasame oil and put plenty of hot sauce in.

Peanut Butter A couple of spoonfuls of natural peanut butter.

Mushroom and tofu
Use the dried shitakes you can find here and there, they are richer in amino acids than their fresh counterparts, and this in Umami. Rehydrate them, conserve the left over water and use it in the soup broth. Slice the mushrooms fine and throw them in the broth at the same time as the Ramen. Deep fry the tofu until crispy. Chop up some scallion and add it just before taking the Ramen off the heat. Remove from heat and add the crispy tofu. Add a couple of drops of sesame oil.

Shrimp and onion
Clean your shrimp and conserve the carapace, which you will heat up in some peanut oil with ginger, garlic, and hot pepper. Remove from the heat when the garlic has turned brown, but not burnt. Strain out the oil and sear the shrimp and onions together on pretty high heat. Add to the cooked Ramen, with a few drops of sesame oil.

I hope these recipes bring someone half the joy Ramen has brought me.

No no thanks no
Je n'aime que le bourbon
no no thanks no
c'est une affaire de goût.

I came back just to vote this shit down. (1.00 / 9) (#24)
by e polytarp on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 08:02:21 PM EST

º
My buddies

I know where there is some fresh (1.80 / 5) (#25)
by GrandWazoo on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 08:14:16 PM EST

whale shit you can go back to and crawl under.

PLZ HURRY TWO! K?

Booya!!! (1.75 / 4) (#26)
by Kurosawa Nagaya on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 09:17:31 PM EST

Your vote (1) was recorded.
This story currently has a total score of 40.

You're the straw that broke the camel's back!
Your vote put this story over the threshold, and it should now appear on the front page. Enjoy!

The reason for this is simple: we're all full of shit ~ circletimessquare

The One True Way(TM) (1.75 / 4) (#27)
by HackerCracker on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 09:50:20 PM EST

Boil some water in a small saucepan, just enough to cover the noodles. Once the water is boiling, toss the noodles in and cook for three minutes. Remove the saucepan from heat and pour out some water until just enough remains to keep most of the noodles underwater. Add flavoring from flavor packet, stir well. Let noodles sit in concentrated soup stock for around a minute or so, then drain all but a small amount of the stock. Add extra salt to taste and mix salt in by gently tossing noodles in saucepan.

Eat directly from saucepan or, if you must, use a plate.

K5, You have restored my faith in you (2.00 / 10) (#28)
by MichaelCrawford on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 09:51:19 PM EST

For having voted this piece to front page.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Now who's up for a rousing story about my mental illness?

Looking for some free music downloads?

nitpick (2.00 / 6) (#29)
by balsamic vinigga on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 10:00:36 PM EST

the image is more of a highly unsaturated blue than grey. Sorry, shoulda caught this in edit.

May his noodles in heaven never be soggy (2.50 / 6) (#30)
by nlscb on Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 10:11:46 PM EST

May the broth pack always dissolve neatly.

May he slurp in paradise.

Comment Search has returned - Like a beaten wife, I am pathetically grateful. - mr strange

Fat (1.75 / 4) (#31)
by FieryTaco on Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 12:00:45 AM EST

I am partial to Maruchan's Beef Ramen, seasoned with cilantro and olive oil,...

What is this? Like 90,000 calories of fat in one meal? Ramen noodles are almost entirely fat and you top it off with more fat. Wow.

I'm a skinny bastard (none / 0) (#32)
by LilDebbie on Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 12:29:32 AM EST

or as the trainer described, an "ectomorph", which I think you'll agree sounds cooler.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

Earth to jackass,Earth to jackass, come in jackass (2.20 / 5) (#33)
by WonderJoust on Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 03:55:15 AM EST

Fat makes things taste good.

More as the situation develops.

Remain secure under your rock on Mars.

Over and out.

_________________________________
i like your style: bitter, without being a complete cunt about it.
-birds ate my face

no problems at all, recommended (1.50 / 2) (#34)
by great going guys on Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 04:41:09 AM EST

4 years of college (2.50 / 4) (#35)
by zenofchai on Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 08:32:44 AM EST

with a dining budget more appropriate for a third world country. thank you, momofuku.
The K5 Interactive Political Compass SVG Graph
BREAKING NEWS! FORD HAS DIED!!! (1.50 / 2) (#36)
by fluxrad on Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 12:14:14 PM EST

This was front page news three weeks ago. Yeah - I heard the news from that liberal, tripe spewing, radio station NPR.*

That's right, LilDebbie. Ramen leans left.

*and also on Slashdot and CNN.

"It is seldom liberty of any kind that is lost all at once."
-David Hume
There's no obituary section (none / 1) (#37)
by LilDebbie on Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 04:46:23 PM EST

and no one had done an article yet. We need to mourn.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

Dude...is this the only site you visit? (none / 1) (#39)
by fluxrad on Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 07:18:11 PM EST

Seriously.

"It is seldom liberty of any kind that is lost all at once."
-David Hume
Never caught on to that whole 'community' thing (none / 1) (#41)
by LilDebbie on Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 10:26:17 AM EST

did you?

Seeing as I don't obsessively pore over every scrap of news on fark, MeFi, digg, slashdot, somethingawful, etc every second of every day, yes, I confess, I missed this news item until it ran in this week's Economist.

So did a lot of other people, if you bothered to read the story comments, which I'm guessing you didn't. These other people, they have other interests beyond jamming the fiber optic directly into their retinas.

For example, did you know there's this brilliant display called the sky? It's outside. Y'know, that place you haven't been to in years.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

Reeeeooooowwwwr! (none / 1) (#42)
by fluxrad on Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 06:13:19 PM EST

Oh no. Kitty has claws!

I'm can't believe you had to stoop to the cliché, "you don't go outside, nerd!!" schtick. You realize, that puts you this close to being K5's official "if I ever meet you, I'll beat your ass" internet tough guy. I expected more from you, debs.

"It is seldom liberty of any kind that is lost all at once."
-David Hume
Cliches are a part of everyday discourse (none / 1) (#46)
by LilDebbie on Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 01:37:16 PM EST

I tried to put a new spin on it, but nevertheless it was the natural progression from the initial assertation that you have the various newsfeeds pipelined directly up your ass.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

A fitting tribute (2.33 / 3) (#38)
by Sgt York on Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 04:53:51 PM EST

Truly an icon and hero to graduate students everywhere.

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster's only son returns (none / 1) (#40)
by nlscb on Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 08:53:04 AM EST

As his noodly goodness said in 1910:

"They can be a great people ... They only lack the simple carbohydrates to show the way. For this reason above all -- their capacity for salt and MSG -- I've sent them you, my only son."

And on the third day he rose and ascended into the Beer Volcano and Stripper Factory.

I should also add (1.50 / 2) (#43)
by fluxrad on Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 06:39:44 PM EST

Once you've had real ramen, you can never go back.

I was in Manhattan after one of the fiancé's law school functions and we headed down to Sapporo one late night. The stuff was incredible. The noodles were a perfect thickness, with a hard-boiled egg, braised pork, and greens, all in a hardy soy sauce. Now I'm completely hooked on ramen.

Sadly, there's only one place to get real ramen in all of Denver, and it pales in comparison to the stuff you can get in NYC. But it's unbelievably better than Mr. Ando's concoction. And a damn site more expensive, too. The only down-side is that, try as you might, you can never get the packaged stuff to taste as good again.

"It is seldom liberty of any kind that is lost all at once."
-David Hume
My ramen (sort of) recipe (1.50 / 2) (#44)
by Rainy on Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 01:16:48 PM EST

My roommate once bought a box of these, or else he got them for free, maybe. They were in cups with the flavour already added inside. I found them to be absolutely inedible due to being oversalted, so what I did (when I had no other food around), was this: I'd open the cup, pour water inside, swish it around, pour it out. Then cook. Still too salty and spicy. I did some experimentation and found that I had to practically have running water through it for half a minute or so until it lost enough salt to make it palatable. It turned out that under all the salt and spices, the noodles themselves taste a bit like soap. Still, I like the texture and thickness and I managed to finish them all off, if I remember right. I guess I'm too sensitive to salt because I always avoided it.

But, honestly, I think it makes more sense to spend a few more minutes to cook better noodles, take a package of high quality plain noodles, add a bit of fresh vegetables, celery, broccoli, maybe cauliflower, maybe zuchhini, add red crushed pepper, dried thyme and/or rosemary, fresh whipped butter and cook it for 7-8 minutes. Mushrooms are especially good to make it a complete soup dish. If you eat meat, you can add that, too, for even fuller taste. The nice thing about this recipe is that, depending on time you have and ingredients, you can make it very basic or fairly elaborate, and preparation is very easy and it's difficult to screw up. Actually, noodles can be ruined if you overcook, but if you substitute potatoes and yams, it really becomes impossible to overcook, which is really nice 'cause you can go away and do something else in the time and not worry about forgetting it. But with potatoes it takes at least 40 minutes until it's done, and it's even better if you set it on lowest heat and let it cook for more than an hour.. it tastes better. And it's still cheap, it can be even cheaper than Ramen, I think (but make sure you don't buy cheap potatoes 'cause even if they look the same, they don't taste nearly as good).
Rainy "Collect all zero" Day

Forgot the salt.. (none / 1) (#45)
by Rainy on Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 01:18:30 PM EST

To the last recipe, you do need to add a bit of salt. Should be obvious but you never know :-).
Rainy "Collect all zero" Day
Just so, a funny observation (none / 0) (#47)
by satyr on Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 12:15:30 AM EST

You know that in my mother language the word "Momofuku" almost literally translates to "mother-fucking", i.e. "mama" translates to "mother" (or "mom" for that matter), while "mamo" would be the accusative form of the noun, while "fukati" (infinitive) translates to "to fuck", and "fuku" would be a slang-form of having a desire to fuck. Nice, isn't it??!

satyr

________________

Male, relatively young and relatively well-preserved. :) I see myself as an open-minded person, a critical thinker, rationalist and skeptic.

Momofuku Ando, 1910-2007 | 48 comments (46 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)