Breaking News: Broken Bridges

By LilDebbie in News
Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 04:37:42 PM EST
Tags: bridges, failure (all tags)

One will rise and one must fall.

The phone rings. It's Mom. She wants to know if I'm still alive. This happens more often than you'd think. A bridge has collapsed. I wasn't on it (sorry, guys), but I may well have been.

Hanging up with Mom, I do what every self-respecting blogger with delusions of legitimate journalistic credentials would do: put on my headphones, grab the camera, hop on the bike and go scoop the MSM.

First stop is the south end of the Cedar Avenue Bridge, which runs parallel to the one that fell into the Mississippi. Here's an overhead view to give you an idea. The broken bridge is to the immediate left. My first vantage point wasn't the best, but at least I beat the Star Tribune photographer there. Following the quickly forming crowds, I got underneath Cedar Avenue where my kind belongs and took a picture of the south end of the bridge. Note the hose running off the fire hydrant. Its purpose was quickly revealed after we heard a small explosion, probably a gas or propane tank that burned a little too long. Smoke was billowing just north of there. For the civil engineers in the house, here's a close up of the actual break point.

Moving downstream, I got on top of Number 9 as the Cedar Avenue Bridge was closed to all traffic. As you can see, our emergency response is off the hook. Glad to see all that Homeland Security funding went to something worthwhile. Here's a Shaky close up of some cars floating in the water with tug boats coming in for the rescue. Farther along, we see the remnants that didn't make it to the waterline. Poking my head over the other side of the foot bridge, I saw large patches of oil on the River. For perspective, keep in mind that picture was shot from 40 feet up and my camera maxes out at 4x zoom.

Number 9 being so crowded even the bike cops had trouble getting through, I continued north to get a shot of the other end of the bridge. Slinking through the frat housing, I got to the underside of Cedar Avenue again. The police were still cordoning off the area. Look closely at that last one and you'll notice a white hatchback very much not parallel with the road I'm on. That'd be part of the southbound lane of the 35W bridge, now snapped back to a 30 angle. A little farther south, you'll see the northbound lane, also snapped back if you consider direction of travel. Again, a close up for your perusal.

The cops were getting a little annoyed at our presence, so I headed back up to University Ave. Here we see the bridge to nowhere. Notice the southbound lane collapsed backwards as mention earlier. It looked like there were more civilians on this end of the bridge, seeing as most likely the dead or dying were far below. Careful examination of this shot of people milling around will prove this took place in Minnesota (no, not the guy wearing the Gophers hockey shirt). Bricks will be shat.

The ride home was soon interrupted by a veritable parade of emergency vehicles. I must have seen two dozen police pickups towing speed boats from every adjacent county and a few beyond that. If this catastrophe has taught me anything, it's the knowledge that when the shit hits the fan, Minnesota stands ready to mop it up.

o Scoop
o One will rise
o one must fall
o Cedar Avenue Bridge
o fell into the Mississippi
o overhead view
o My first vantage point
o south end of the bridge
o Smoke was billowing
o close up
o Number 9
o As you can see
o Shaky close up
o didn't make it to the waterline
o oil on the River
o cordoning off the area
o the northbound lane
o a close up
o University Ave
o bridge to nowhere
o more civilians
o people milling around
o parade of emergency vehicles
o Also by LilDebbie

Breaking News: Broken Bridges | 75 comments (64 topical, 11 editorial, 0 hidden)
8/1 NEVAR FORGET (2.80 / 10) (#1)
by rapping ambulance chasing breakdancer on Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 09:23:34 PM EST

When the Oakland Bay Bridge collapsed in the '89 (2.83 / 6) (#2)
by MichaelCrawford on Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 09:55:58 PM EST

... quake ... it runs from Oakland on the east bay to San Francisco... one of those killed was videotaped driving the wrong way on the top deck, then falling into a hole where a section had collapsed onto the bottom deck.

It turned out that the Highway Patrol was trying to keep people from driving to San Francisco and was turning people back towards Oakland, apparently unaware that there was a hole in the bridge.

Looking for some free songs?

PWND (none / 1) (#77)
by Blond Treehorn Thug on Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 09:52:46 AM EST

I am amused by the simplicity of this game. Bring me your finest meats and cheeses.
you go dude (1.50 / 6) (#3)
by circletimessquare on Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 10:06:11 PM EST

no jokes, having been through 9/11, i know what it's like. scary shit

scary? (2.62 / 8) (#6)
by LilDebbie on Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 10:24:20 PM EST

try awesome! just wait til you see the shots i got of the twisted tresses. granted, the photography kinda sucks (not my field), but the wreckage is damn near artistic.

i suppose i should call my sister to see if she's still alive.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

you're a sick sociopathic fuck (2.60 / 5) (#9)
by circletimessquare on Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 10:51:01 PM EST

oh wait, this is k5

carry on

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

i worked there dude (none / 0) (#14)
by circletimessquare on Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 11:08:07 PM EST

i left wtc 9/10 at 9 pm, so i was late for work the following morning

no shit

no (none / 0) (#41)
by circletimessquare on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 10:14:19 AM EST

i live in times square. the air flow, on that week and in general, is out to sea, not up to midtown. many miles away. new york city is a big place

but you are forgiven for not knowing that. seeing that you are a genius in general

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

"Many miles"? (1.50 / 1) (#43)
by rusty on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 10:48:31 AM EST

Times Square is less than 4 miles from the WTC. That's about as small a "many" as you could hope to get away with...

I'm always surprised by how small Manhattan actually is. 13 miles by 3 miles, about. New York City as a whole is much bigger, of course, but Manhattan is a hell of a lot of city to fit in 40 square miles.

____
Not the real rusty

so um (3.00 / 1) (#45)
by circletimessquare on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:02:33 AM EST

how does that change my observation?

you're angry that i equate ~4 with the word "many"

uh, ok, thanks

(!?)

next time, i'll be sure to humbly submit to the wisdom of the guy who wishes me death by mesothelioma

and thanks rusty, for coming here and defending this poor downtrodden wisher of death

truly, you make k5 a great place

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

it's a rural thing (3.00 / 1) (#47)
by LilDebbie on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:06:02 AM EST

4 miles is a short walk out here in the country.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

it's actually more like 5 miles (3.00 / 1) (#49)
by circletimessquare on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:15:24 AM EST

and i'll be sure to tell the residents of red lodge montana that you consider minneapolis "the country"

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

I grew up farther out (none / 0) (#50)
by LilDebbie on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:22:42 AM EST

There was old growth forest in my backyard. It was 3 miles to the closest gas station. There was a pumpkin patch and apple orchard a short walk from my house.

Not super-rural, but far from city.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

growing up, nearest neighbor was a mile away (3.00 / 1) (#58)
by circletimessquare on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:48:30 AM EST

through a swamp

so, living in times square now, do i still get to talk about my rural life style?

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Citation (none / 0) (#52)
by rusty on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:26:00 AM EST

I was going by Google Maps, which reports 3.7 miles driving for Times Square to WTC.

____
Not the real rusty
u must be using g00gle maps (none / 0) (#59)
by circletimessquare on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:51:24 AM EST

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=W+42nd+St,+New+ York,+New+York,+New+York,+United+States&daddr=liberty+street+ny+ny&sll=4 0.742965,-74.004765&sspn=0.061908,0.1157&ie=UTF8&ll=40.73334,-74.003 391&spn=0.061917,0.1157&z=13&om=1

Heh (3.00 / 1) (#53)
by rusty on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:26:57 AM EST

Walk 4 miles on the island in any direction and you'll be back where you started. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
where do u live anyways? kennebunkport? nt (none / 0) (#57)
by circletimessquare on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:47:00 AM EST

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Peaks Island (none / 1) (#67)
by rusty on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 03:36:54 PM EST

here

____
Not the real rusty
ok (none / 0) (#72)
by circletimessquare on Fri Aug 03, 2007 at 12:25:21 PM EST

i was actually just trying to smear you by linking you in the lamest of ways to the bush clan ;-)

i have friends in yarmouth

as in, my best friend in high school, married to my prom date from high school

long story ;-)

he's actually turned into some sort of ufo nut

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

I'm not angry (none / 0) (#51)
by rusty on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:24:33 AM EST

Just pointing it out. As for how it changes your observation, some people might not think 4 miles is all that far, when it comes to a giant plume of asbestos-laden smoke. That's all.

____
Not the real rusty
i can be 400 yards away (none / 0) (#56)
by circletimessquare on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:46:10 AM EST

if the wind is blowing the other way, i'm fine

likewise, if i'm 40 miles away out to sea, and i notice a strange haze and i start coughing, i might want to worry about my asbestos exposure

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

i am always the angry one (none / 0) (#61)
by circletimessquare on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:59:52 AM EST

anger is my state of being

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

issue is (3.00 / 1) (#55)
by raduga on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:34:15 AM EST

"Manhattan is a hell of a lot of city"

for 40mi2 or 400mi2 or whatever. Its all city.

If you think CTS is wack, try fucking with the Engineer Corps.

no shit (none / 1) (#68)
by zenofchai on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 04:19:58 PM EST

that was quite an article.
The K5 Interactive Political Compass SVG Graph
reminds me of my anus (2.90 / 10) (#4)
by circletimessquare on Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 10:09:08 PM EST

i mean, mianus

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

also relevant: (2.33 / 3) (#7)
by insomnyuk on Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 10:25:55 PM EST

tacoma bridge collapse on yuotube

"There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness." - H.L. Mencken
Awesome! (none / 0) (#19)
by Stereo on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 06:14:55 AM EST

I want that TOTAL COLLAPSE! screen on my kuro5hin t-shirt.

kuro5hin - Artes technicae et humaniores, a fossis

LOL HAI (2.83 / 6) (#10)
by Aurochs on Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 10:52:14 PM EST

"I saw them carrying up a body -- I don't know if he was alive or dead," said Andy Schwich, who arrived at the scene on his bicycle a few minutes after the collapse.
 _
( )
 X
/ \ SUPPORT THE DEL GRIFFITH MODBOMBING CAMPAIGN

Jeez USians are arrogant and/or stupid (none / 0) (#76)
by shm on Thu Aug 09, 2007 at 06:31:38 AM EST

I guess the lack of science is catching up:

"A bridge in America just shouldn't fall down," said Sen. Amy Klobuchar, a Minnesota Democrat.
Ever hear of wear and tear, Amy CluelessBuyFar?

i got better pix than lildebbie for you all (2.25 / 4) (#12)
by circletimessquare on Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 11:01:18 PM EST

i like the 3 priests one

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

I knew I should'va ganked that dude's camera (3.00 / 5) (#13)
by LilDebbie on Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 11:04:04 PM EST

Saw the strib photographer on my way out from my first stop. It's not fair! They have helicopters and telescopic lenses and associated presses!

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

nice pix, but less better than deb's (3.00 / 1) (#17)
by raduga on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 03:48:07 AM EST

MOAR! (2.75 / 4) (#15)
by circletimessquare on Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 11:09:58 PM EST

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

-1 buy a tripod (2.33 / 3) (#20)
by kinenveu on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 07:35:33 AM EST

Something's wrong with my monitor (2.66 / 6) (#21)
by Dougy Keens on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 08:00:54 AM EST

All those pistures were fuzzy for somereason. Does anyone know how to fix that? Is it something to do with my trackball on my mouse?
_
( )
X
/ \ SUPPORT THE DEL GRIFFITH MODBOMBING CAMPAIGN
i can help you with that (2.77 / 9) (#24)
by circletimessquare on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 08:44:10 AM EST

remove the side panel from your pc. there may be some screws or hinges. now look around your motherboard. on your motherboard you will see a number of things, like your PCIe slots, your memory, your processor. but what you are looking for is the LilDebbie

once you locate the LilDebbie, remove it from your pc. you may have to use gloves or tweezers, as touching the LilDebbie with bare hands might result in a rash. microwave it on high for 5 minutes to make sure it won't bother you anymore. close your pc back up again, and congratulations: your images will now be less blurry

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

(3) lol what $ (3.00 / 3) (#25)
by LilDebbie on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 08:45:38 AM EST

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

Why do you say 'congratulations'? (3.00 / 3) (#27)
by Dougy Keens on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 08:48:38 AM EST

It's not like I'm winning a prize or anything.

Okay, I did it. Actually it works. Is the LilDebbie that green round thing I just took out?.

Cuznowmyspacebarwon'twork.
_
( )
X
/ \ SUPPORT THE DEL GRIFFITH MODBOMBING CAMPAIGN

yes (3.00 / 1) (#31)
by circletimessquare on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 08:56:15 AM EST

LilDebbie is necessary for proper space bar functionality. i am sorry i didn't warn you about that

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

I put the thing back in (3.00 / 3) (#32)
by Dougy Keens on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 09:03:55 AM EST

I have a secret I didn't really microwave it.
_
( )
X
/ \ SUPPORT THE DEL GRIFFITH MODBOMBING CAMPAIGN
no problem, a LilDebbie is not that bad (3.00 / 1) (#33)
by circletimessquare on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 09:08:05 AM EST

what you don't want is a moldy smelling black sticky sludge

that's known as a circletimessquare

it makes you lose all capitalization, punctuation, and you only get single sentence paragraphs

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

That sounds like aids (3.00 / 2) (#34)
by Dougy Keens on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 09:11:15 AM EST

_
( )
X
/ \ SUPPORT THE DEL GRIFFITH MODBOMBING CAMPAIGN
THIS THREAD IS FULL OF FAIL (3.00 / 3) (#36)
by tsunami on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 09:28:32 AM EST

--------------
I also saw a madman crazily pumping this polygon thing to roughly the same timing as a functional wank. - A Trolled An Anonymised Englishman
You're being rude (2.80 / 5) (#37)
by Dougy Keens on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 09:39:25 AM EST

_
( )
X
/ \ SUPPORT THE DEL GRIFFITH MODBOMBING CAMPAIGN
CAMERA + PHONE = PHONE (2.66 / 3) (#22)
by GhostOfTiber on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 08:27:40 AM EST

PLZ TAKE BETTER HIREZ.

[Nimey's] wife's ass is my cocksheath. - undermyne

My camera phone is even worse (none / 0) (#23)
by LilDebbie on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 08:39:10 AM EST

I think its something on the order of 64x64 pixels. I tried taking pictures of an anti-war rally with it once and boy howdy was dat sum failure.

Look, I was riding around on a bike with a lot of off-roading involved. If I had a better camera I wouldn't go careening around disaster areas with it.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

yeah ok but I need hirez to get off (none / 0) (#30)
by GhostOfTiber on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 08:55:56 AM EST

rotten.com started charging.

[Nimey's] wife's ass is my cocksheath. - undermyne

okay, i have higher rez on muh py00ter (3.00 / 1) (#38)
by LilDebbie on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 09:48:27 AM EST

but those are like 20 meg files. the casual webizen isn't going to wait for those!

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

video of the collapse (2.75 / 4) (#26)
by j1mmy on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 08:45:47 AM EST

here

also, some woman on her cellphone

btw lildebbie, a technical observation: (2.83 / 6) (#42)
by circletimessquare on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 10:25:33 AM EST

on your camera should be a setting for exposure time. turn it down. what you are doing here is that you hold your camera up, press the button, the camera shutter opens, you jiggle a little, and the camera captures the jiggle to film, then the shutter closes

if you turn down the exposure time, the camera shutter opens for a brief instant, and you don't get a smear or blur or jiggle

so even if you had a gran mal seizure, you would get pictures with less blur and jitter than the ones you got here

if it was at night and you had a tripod, long exposure time actually makes for some really great pictures. try that later tonight during the recovery operation. but today, during daytime or dusk, like when you took these shots, make it a brief exposure setting

i'm just telling you this because i love you, and i want to have gay sex with you

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

i'm aware of shutter speed (3.00 / 3) (#46)
by LilDebbie on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:04:43 AM EST

but since its a digital camera you run into the problem of adequate exposure. no high speed film here so the images turn out dark unless i use flash which of course doesn't work from distance.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

Can you adjust the ISO speed? (3.00 / 4) (#64)
by wiredog on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 01:07:49 PM EST

Maybe your camera has a 'sports/action' setting you could use?

The idea of a global village is wrong, it's more like a gazillion pub bars.
Phage

Reviewing manual (3.00 / 4) (#71)
by LilDebbie on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 07:18:08 PM EST

Yes, yes it can.

I'll keep that in mind for the next disaster.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

+1 Rubbernecking (2.80 / 5) (#44)
by BottleRocket on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 10:57:18 AM EST

$ . . . . . $ . . . . . $ . . . . . $
. ₩ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . * . . . . . * . . . . . * . . . . . * . . . . . *
$ . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $
Yes I do download [child pornography], but I don't keep it any longer than I need to, so it can yield insight as to how to find more. --MDC
$ . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $
. . . . * . . . . . * . . . . . * . . . . . * . . . . . *
. ₩ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
$ . . . . . $ . . . . . $ . . . . . $
$B R Σ III$

Two words (none / 1) (#69)
by opusman on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 05:03:41 PM EST

Image Stabilization.

four more (none / 1) (#70)
by ravnx on Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 06:27:54 PM EST

worth the extra cost

As others have pointed out (none / 0) (#73)
by I Hate Yanks on Sat Aug 04, 2007 at 10:17:30 AM EST

No need for image stabalisation, just some basic photography knowledge regarding shutter speeds, taking the time to compose properly, ISO settings and tripods (or improvisations of tripods).

I have image stabalisation on my DSLR. It really doesn't compensate for proper use of all the above techniques.

Reasons to hate Americans (No. 812): Circletimessquare lives there.

Two separate words (2.00 / 2) (#74)
by regeya on Sat Aug 04, 2007 at 11:35:21 AM EST

Tripod. Monopod.

Image stabilization introduces fuzziness to an image.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Wow, just lovely (none / 1) (#75)
by Kingmaker on Tue Aug 07, 2007 at 12:21:22 PM EST

Let me guess, Fujifilm camera? When you want crap photos, nothing says "I love you" like Fuji.

I just got back (2.50 / 2) (#78)
by nononoitaintmebabe on Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 03:19:48 PM EST

from where I was. The first thing I did, was make sure you were not in a coal mining disaster.

lulz $ (none / 0) (#79)
by LilDebbie on Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 08:41:50 PM EST

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

7/7 (2.50 / 2) (#80)
by Have A Nice Day on Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 08:19:54 PM EST

Everyone I knew phoned. Despite the fact that at the time I lived and worked way out of town. "OMG! Are you alright?" Yah, I didn't get out of bed until way after it happened. Sorry, I'm fine.

--------------
Have A Nice Day may have reentered the building.