There have been many numbers that we encounter again and again and again in our life but we just don't think much about it. An example? How about the number represented by "pi"? Ever wondered why that number is so common in our life?
Coming back to "The Solitaire Mystery", a guy is stranded on an island and has only a pack of cards with him. So he devises a way to keep track of days.It goes as follows:
The year has 52 weeks, so each week is represented by one of the cards in a pack. 7x52= 364. The day left over is called Joker day. It belongs to no month and no week. Every four years there are two such Joker days. Fiflty-two weeks are divided into 13 months, each of 28 days. The first month is Ace ad last King. There is an interval of 4 years between every two Joker days. It begins with year of diamonds, followed by year of clubs, then hearts and finally spades.
Fun? Uncanny? How about replacing the present calendar with "Cards Calendar"? Read further.
Furthermore, if you add all symbols in a suit together(Ace=1 King=13, Queen=12), we get 91. 91 x 4 = 364. So there are 364 symbols in a pack of cards.
The number 7
Babylonian Ziggurats had seven steps, as did the Temple of Solomon.
- The angle of the Great Pyramid is that of a seven-sided polygon. Rome was built on seven hills.
- The Tree of Life has seven branches, six around one trunk that is the axis of the universe.
- The ancient symbol of the Trinity, Borromean Rings (three rings which mutually interlock precisely through their centers), has seven sections - six around one in the center.
- There are seven stars in the celestial crown of the Virgin Mary, like the seven rays of Justice that shine from the head of Liberty.
- In Persia there were seven gates that lead to Glory of Mithras.
- Ishtar in Babylon and Isis in Egypt both passed through seven gates in the underworld to effect the resurrections of their slain husband-deities.
- Buddha seeks salvation for seven years before circling the Bodhi Tree seven times,thereby achieving enlightenment.
- The world Mountain has seven sides, each one facing one of the seven continents.
- In Tibet and Japan, the souls of the dead are said to tarry for 7 x 7 days before departing to distant, unknown realms.
- The constellation Ursa Major (the Big Dipper), by which early navigators found the north star - and thus their way home - consists of seven stars.
- When rolling two dice,"Lucky Seven" is statistically the most probable of all possible outcomes.
- There are Seven Pillars of Wisdom, seven Wonders of the Ancient world, seven circumambulations around the Ka'ba in Mecca, seven Liberal Arts
- There are seven tones in one octave of the diatonic musical scale (do-re-me...).
The number 666
- "Let he that has wisdom count the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666." The Book of The Revelation to John, Chapter 13, Verse 13, Verse 18.
- 2000 divided by 3 = 666.666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666..
- VISA Card : "VI" is the number 6 in the Roman numerals, "S" is the Stigma in the Greek culture whose value is 6, and
lastly the "A" in the Babylonian culture is 6 ... i.e, VISA = 666!
- 666 has an uncanny connection to barcode which many of you may have read by now. Read more here
The number known as "pi"
- the 16th letter of the Greek alphabet
- the ratio of a circle to a square when one side of the square is the circle's radius
- the equivalent of 180 degrees when measured in radians
- The pyramid of Cheops hase a base length of 230,38 m, and a height of 146.6 m. If you take two times the base length, and divide this by the height, you get a value of "3,14297..."
So what have I achived by this long post? If not anything else, I would have given you a good laugh at the "silliness of it all". If you did not laugh so far, let me dare to ask you a question which you may want to let loose in your brain "Is there any special reason why some numbers seem to come back to your life again and again?"
Since I started with "The Solitaire Mystery", let me end with a quote from it:
People would have gone absolutely wild if the astronomers had discovered another living planet, they just don't let themselves be amazed by their own.