Riding the Red Bull

By DangerGrrl in Op-Ed
Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 01:15:16 PM EST
Tags: You Know... (all tags)
You Know...

Red Bull: A popular energy drink that tastes a bit like a combo of piss and Mountian Dew.

Yesterday they were giving out 'Free Samples' on campus.

Yeah, the first hit is always free.
Welcome to hell.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are my long days at school. I have a 3 hour break between classes. During these breaks, companies love to hock their wares to students. Credit Cards, Class Rings, and on this day, Soft Drinks.

As I trudge to the Admin. Building to get my financial aid straight, two seemingly innocuous college age looking people with silver back packs accost me.

Them: Would you like to try a free sample of Red Bull Energy Drink?
Me on the inside: Cool, Free Shit! Free Shit is good when you've just spent $300 on books.
Me on the outside: Ummm, sure.
Them: Drink it cold. It will give you about 4 hours of energy, and if you like it you can buy it at places like 7-11.

It seemed innocent enough. They have little samples of foods at Costco all the time. None of them ever made me feel like ants are crawling on my skin. But I am getting ahead of myself.

I down the drink at around 2:00pm. I hang out with some new found friends. We bullshit about typical College things: Fraternities, Service Projects, Classes, and Sex. When I make my way to my 4:00pm class, I am awake, but I am fine mentally, physically and emotionally.

At 4:30, in the middle of a discussion on historical theories, I start into a margin doodling frenzy. I am in a trance like state. I am sketching fantastic things like angels in bondage and runes carved in flesh. Further, and most amazingly, my notes don't suffer at all. I flip-flop between this state of artistic ecstasy and pure academia with ease.

At 5:00pm I have what feels like the brain part of an orgasm. I show no outward sign of my bliss as far as I could tell. It's all internal - I am lost in the world of my doodles.

5:05pm, a sudden rush of terror hits me. Like thousands crying out in horror and then suddenly silenced. I don't like it. When I get out of my class I start calling all of my friends and loved ones (it's a relatively short list) to make sure they are ok.

They're ok. Everyone's ok. How are you?
Me? I'm suddenly plunged into a hell of my skin crawling, heart palpitations, and emotional swings that make a PMS Manic-depressive look sane. I've been to the edge before, so this is looking a lot like familiar territory. I don't want to be here.

The amount of melodrama propagated by me from the time I got home to something around 3:00am could fill an entire season of Melrose Place AND The X Files. I finally fall asleep at around 4:00am.

So what was in the fucking drink anyway?
It's main active ingredient is Taurine. But they don't say how much. If an Amino Acid is prevalent in one's body already, can more of it than you need cause harm? If you are on medication that reacts with your neurotransmitters, I.E. anti-depressants, could something else that does just that screw your head up?

There is also as much caffeine as a cup of coffee in this. My caffeine intake is regulated to what I need to stave off headaches, in the form of tea and Excedrin. This may have been too much for me, but for someone who downs 12 cups of office swill, or is a connoisseur of fine brews, this may be nothing.

I wonder about the trend that energy-boosting products seem to be taking. Mass marketed to a younger and younger audience, making claims of safety and benifits of their product. The cigarette industry did the same thing when they were starting to get big too. I have to wonder if the same people who own underground ecstasy labs that have been raided also hold shares in this crap? There seemed to be no difference between this 'energy drink' and speedy-bunk-XTC. (Not that I would know from experience or anything like that.)

All my philosophical thoughts on the matter won't be able to take back my drama queen act though. I have a lot of apologies to make. However, I have learned a lesson from this:
Beware of stuff labeled 'energy-anything'.
Especially if someone is giving it to you for free.
They are probably no better than the guy who gives you a line of coke gratis in a club - only this is has corporate sponsorship.

You have:
o Tried Red Bull and love it. 27%
o Tried Red Bull and hate it. 20%
o Tried Red Bull and think it should be illegal. 1%
o Tried Red Bull and think it's the next best thing to illicet drugs. 12%
o Never tried Red Bull. 38%

o Red Bull
o Costco
o runes carved in flesh
o edge
o Taurine
o connoisseu r
o Also by DangerGrrl

Riding the Red Bull | 38 comments (36 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
If you really wanted to get... (3.00 / 2) (#1)
by nobbystyles on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 10:39:33 AM EST

Fscked up, can I recommend a TVR (named after British sportscar firm). A shot of tequila, a shot of vodka in glass along with Red Bull. Very popular in London....

a number of variations (2.50 / 2) (#4)
by cetan on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 11:01:10 AM EST

There are a number of different Red Bull enhanced beverages at pubs and bars now, which is no surprise. The caffeine in Red Bull will speed the alcohol to ones system.

My favorite "enhanced" drink is Red Bull, Vodka, and Cranberry.

Unfortunately, because Red Bull is a specialty item, bars (at least here in the US) charge incredible prices.

===== cetan www.cetan.com =====
Same in the UK (2.50 / 2) (#8)
by nobbystyles on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 11:11:22 AM EST

Went to a rip off bar in the city Of London with spiralx a few months ago and got charged 11 for two red bulls and vodka. Not best pleased about that considering you can buy them in shops here for 1 a can....

really? (2.50 / 2) (#17)
by Garc on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 12:48:52 PM EST

I was in london last year around november visiting a friend at the University of Westminster (sp?). There was a non-englandish bar across the street called the Met, they sold pitchers of redbull and double vodkas for something like 14 pounds. Of course, my memory doesn't serve very well from that time either, mostly due to the redbull and vodka combo, so I may be off on the price.

garc
Tomorrow is going to be wonderful because tonight I do not understand anything. -- Niels Bohr

"Ripped Fuel" (4.60 / 5) (#5)
by kostya on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 11:03:46 AM EST

I was doing some weight training programs two years ago in the quest to sculpt my geek fat into something less fat. A friend of mine was on the program with me who had been weight lifting for a while. He recommended I take some Ripped Fuel in the morning (made by Twin Labs).

Ok, so what is this stuff? Just caffeine ... kind of. It's what they called "stacked" in weight training lingo. Excedrin is Aspirin "stacked" with caffeine. Not a lot, but just enough to get a synergistic bonus. The caffeine activates or stimulates the absorption of the aspirin and its effects. Excedrin isn't lying when they say there stuff works better--it is really different.

Back to Ripped Fuel. It's stacked caffeine and other stuff. The contents from a website:

Chromium 200mcg
MaHuang Extract 334mg
Guarana Seed Extract 910mg
L-Carnitine 100mg
I don't know what the hell most of that is, but my understanding is that MaHuang and Guarana are natural forms of caffiene and caffeine like stuff.

So I take two in the morning and go to lift. I'm like a friggin' god, a regular Hercules. I'm benching more than ever. When I hit the top, it feels like my arms are just going to fly off and I'm going to put the weights through the ceiling. So it's clear why you take this stuff if you are weight lifting.

But then it got ugly. I get in the car to go home, and I'm a crazy man, shouting and cursing and generally being very ass-like and very aggresive. I get home, and I just feel pissed off ... and I can't figure out what about.

I start to notice an obvious trend: Ripped Fuel == extreme aggression. Whenever I take it I get very agressive and combative. I just seem to "rage", for lack of a better term. Whatever the hell is in those things, it works too well on me. It ups my metabolism, but it also taps my adrenaline and testosterone as far as I can figure. I.e. I become like some future-soldier tripped out on "battle-readiness treatments". This is incredibly ironic, since I have never been in a physical fight with anyone in my life (short of wrestling with my brother when we were kids).

The funny thing is that it just can't be the caffeine: I drink 6-10 cups of coffee a day. I get headaches with anything less than 6 (i.e. I'm addicted to caffeiene). So I suspect it is the combination of ingredients in these products that makes them so potent. I.e. they are just Jolt cola with a bunch of caffeine; they are Jolt plus "special ingredients" to make you really trippy ;-)

As the author pointed out, I'm highly suspicious of claims of safety on these products. In the case of Ripped Fuel, none of my friends have the problem I do, but it is clear that in me it sets off major "aggressive tendencies", to quote Worf. Safe, sure--but safe for who, is the real question.

----
Veritas otium parit. --Terence
Mahuang (5.00 / 4) (#11)
by DangerGrrl on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 11:28:03 AM EST

Mahuang is the 'natural ingrediant' in things like Herbal X products. It is a natural form of the chemical Ephedrine... which is speed. Psuedo-ephadrine is the active ingrediant of non-drowsy sinus medication, and is milder than Ephadrine... but if you have ever felt 'sensitive' after having a little more sudifed than is recomended on the box, that is why.

Cromium helps metabolize sugar.

L-Carnitine is supposed to speed the metabolization of fat, just don't eat fatty things on top of it. They say it's best to take that on a fairly empty stomach, or with carbs.

It's probably the Mahuang that's driving you nuts.

ephedrine isn't speed... (none / 0) (#26)
by cyclopatra on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 10:41:43 PM EST

...it's an adrenalin (or, more correctly, norepinephrine) analogue, which is similar to amphetamine (which is also, IIRC, an adrenalin analogue), which is what speed *really* is.

Jeez people, get yr stimulants straight ;P

Cyclopatra

All your .sigs are belong to us.
remove mypants to email
Ingredient information (5.00 / 4) (#12)
by catseye on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 11:32:03 AM EST

1. Description of L-Carnitine from Health and Age Novartis Foundation for Gerontology.
  2. L-Carnitine: Separating Fact from Fiction by William Sukala on the Health Care Reality Check web site.
  3. The Cleveland Clinic's Nutritional Supplements for the Athlete claims Chromium Picolinate can cause DNA damage, and enough Chromium can be ingested simply by eating enough meat, seafood and whole grains.
  4. Ma Huang (Ephedrine): The Weight Loss Wonder Drug? can be found on Vanderbilt University's site. The moral of this and other articles I've read on ephedra (MaHuang) is that a little won't kill you, but too much might, especially in combination with other drugs such as decongestants.
  5. Guarana, a form of caffeine, is also in Metabolife, combined with MaHuang. An article entitled What is Metabolife? on the University of South Carolina Student and Alumni Service web site describes some of the side effects that can occur when combining these two supplements.
All the manufacturer's sites say that these supplements will help you do all sorts of stuff, lose weight, build muscle, increase this, that and the other, etc., while most medical sites and university sites list dangerous side effects and case studies of people who've had serious problems using them.

Chromium Picolinate (2.00 / 1) (#21)
by Refrag on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 02:57:32 PM EST

How does Chromium Picolinate cause DNA damage, and what the heck is DNA damage?

Refrag

Kuro5hin: ...and culture, from the trenches

DNA Damage (4.50 / 2) (#22)
by catseye on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 04:47:27 PM EST

Ok, you made me go look for more info....Science Daily Magazine has an article entitled Popular Diet Supplement May Be a Cancer Risk. It describes DNA damage as DNA "breakage" because the chromium picolinate doesn't break down, and instead can get directly into the cells and harm DNA, which can cause genetic mutations and cancers. The article also says, however, that simple chromium won't do that, but the picolinate version can.

I found several other articles saying pretty much the same thing, but it should be noted that they were all from 1999. I haven't seen anything more recent.

Just One? (none / 0) (#36)
by Verminator on Tue Sep 04, 2001 at 07:44:58 PM EST

Back in high school when I was playing football, a couple of the other guys and I would drink two or three bottles of Ripped Fuel during the course of a game. One before, one during the first half, and chug one a halftime for a strong finish.

During the game I couldn't tell a huge amount of difference, but I've never lacked energy in a football game anyway. The adrenaline that runs through you during a game far out-stimulates any chemical you could consume.

I would "snap" on occasion and completely lose my mental faculties, going after the first moving target and trying to destroy it, but I also did this during a couple of the games where I didn't drink anything.

But after the games when I drank the Ripped Fuel there was a definate difference in my attitude, I just couldn't come down from that "football high". I remember going around the locker room once after a loss and headbutting every locker I passed, denting most of them. Followed by almost knocking myself out doing the same thing to the tile wall in the shower. I couldn't put my helmet on for two days of practice because my head swelled up so much.

Oh, and for those of you outside the US, I am talking about American Football.
If the whole country is gonna play 'Behind The Iron Curtain,' there better be some fine fucking state subsidized alcohol! And our powerlifting team better kick ass!

Ripped Fuel -- pills (none / 0) (#37)
by kostya on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 03:14:50 PM EST

I'm talking about the pills. Not sure what you are talking about, so perhaps the difference is in the dosage.

----
Veritas otium parit. --Terence
Aha (none / 0) (#38)
by Verminator on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 05:17:03 PM EST

I missed that you said your stuff was by Twinlabs, who do only make it in pill form. There's another company, American Weightlifting or something like that, that makes a drink. It's called Ripped Fuel and comes in a red container, about 12 ounces. The ingredients are pretty much the same if I remember correctly. But the dosage may vary a bit, so our experiences would obviously be different. Good stuff though, it tastes kind of like cherries.

Who are the madmen who built cars so long they cannot be parked, and are hard to turn at corners. Vehicles with hideous tailfins, full of gadgets and cov

Love it! (2.66 / 3) (#6)
by MicroBerto on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 11:04:14 AM EST

Lately I've been loving caffeine and friends, and I think Red Bull is great! However, I'm not willing to pay $2 US for that dinky can, at least not on a regular basis at all. They'll have me as a more frequent customer when i can get a 6-pack of them for 5 dollars or so, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Berto
- GAIM: MicroBerto
Bertoline - My comic strip
Go for the real stuff (4.00 / 1) (#28)
by pathwalker on Thu Aug 30, 2001 at 04:08:25 AM EST

If you want cheap (and power) go for the real version, from Thiland, and not the expensive and watered down Austrian version that comes in the silver and blue cans.

Go to an asian food store, and look for the Pretty Brown Bottles that go for about $0.60-$0.70 each. Much cheaper than the Austrian version, and it packs a bigger punch.

Another nice thing, with the twist off caps, you can sip from time to time, rather than just chugging - it helps to avoid getting overstimulated, and lets you ease the crash.

Re: Go for the real stuff (none / 0) (#32)
by tzu on Thu Aug 30, 2001 at 02:14:57 PM EST

Actually, what you're referrring to is the Austrian export version, since here in Austria both canned and bottled Red Bull is sold. The bottled version actually contains more caffeine and the reason (afaik) why it isn't sold in USA is because the caffeine levels exceed the maximum allowed by the FDA. (btw, canned Red Bull costs in Austria little less than 1 Euro)

#include "sig.h"
rock star (none / 0) (#31)
by jayfoo2 on Thu Aug 30, 2001 at 11:06:55 AM EST

We were in San Francisco a month or so ago and happened to land up in a couple of bars (ummm, by accident, no really).

We were getting a bit tired so it was time for the RB-and-Vodka pickmeup. However instead of Red Bull the bartender made them with something called 'Rock Star'.

It's the same stuff as Red Bull, comes in a 16 ounce can, and features the tag line 'party like a rock star'.

I'm still trying to rembember/forget the rest of that evening

No two Red Bull's are created equal. (3.66 / 3) (#7)
by cetan on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 11:05:19 AM EST

This has been my experience at least. Each can is different, which from a production standpoint, is pretty pathetic.

Some times I'd get a rush, sometimes it was useless. Most of the time it was in between. I tried it a few times, just to see what it was like but stopped direct consumption. Too expensive and too unpredictable.

The mixed-drink variety though, is a nice treat once in a while.

===== cetan www.cetan.com =====
It's not the Bull (3.00 / 1) (#27)
by fluffy grue on Thu Aug 30, 2001 at 12:25:15 AM EST

It's not the Red Bull which is inconsistent, it's you. Your current caffeine levels, sleep levels, stress levels, seratonin levels, level of suggestability, etc. will all affect your reaction to Red Bull a lot more than a small variance in chemical content will.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Active ingredient (3.66 / 3) (#9)
by Gregoyle on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 11:11:36 AM EST

The idea that "taurine" is the active ingredient in Red Bull is, to me, utter malarkey. Caffeine is the main active ingredient; it has known effects very similar to the effects of Red Bull.

I must admit, though, that there is a certain buzz which I only get with Red Bull. Coffee and other energy drinks do not do it. Two Red Bulls and I'm flying (hee hee, Red Bull gives you wings!! ;-0). I've also gotten the paranoid shakes that come after a caffeine binge. I think I had the equivalent of approximately 10 cups of coffee in the space of 2 or 3 hours. The was for recreation, not for lack of sleep. Never again. It feels fun and cool for the first hour or so. Then you start to feel jittery. Then you feel like the walls are closing in, people are assholes, and the world is out to get you. Gross. I will now only use Red Bull as a tool, not as a recreational drug. (if you are down on "recreational drugs, keep in mind that I consider alcohol a recreational drug as well).
-------

He's more machine now than man, twisted and evil.

Lethal Doses (none / 0) (#24)
by gleep on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 07:30:07 PM EST

10 cups of Coffee should contain about a gram of caffeine total which is the legal definition of a lethal dose of caffeine. You probably shouldn't consume that much...

LD50 (none / 0) (#25)
by Ian Clelland on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 09:06:35 PM EST

From the Caffeine FAQ, a lethal dose for 50% of the population is 10g of caffeiene, or about 100 cups of coffee.

If you're getting anywhere near that amount, you really do need to cut back :)

Some health concerns... (4.25 / 4) (#10)
by FlinkDelDinky on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 11:24:06 AM EST

I can't even handle caffien in small doses. I get jittery from the caffien in decaf (yep, there's still some in there).

Anyway, I think you may want to be careful as there are some deaths associated with this stuff.

Almost certianly this is a rare thing but something to be aware of.

oof... (2.66 / 3) (#13)
by flummox on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 11:38:38 AM EST

not a big fan of red bull. but, i'm not a big fan of cherry flavoring. i do enjoy some of the others (blue ox, venombite...) but, i use them as a tool to keep my ass awake on the weekends. when you usually stay out until 3 or 4 am, you need to have something to keep you awake for the 45 minute drive home or to clear the cloud of marijuana smoke outta your brain so you can focus on the yellow and white lines and watch out for flashing blue and red lights...

that's my 2 cents...

cap'n flummox

...bring me my cheese...

Mountain Dew (3.00 / 2) (#14)
by Refrag on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 11:46:26 AM EST

That's not right! Red Bull tastes like a combo of piss and the worst liquid medicine you can imagine. Mountain Dew tastes like the sweet, sweet nectar of the gods in comparison. Maybe it tastes like a combination of piss and Fresca?

Refrag

Kuro5hin: ...and culture, from the trenches

Couple of BBC links (4.00 / 3) (#15)
by TheophileEscargot on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 12:08:40 PM EST

This link is to a story saying Red Bull has little effect (except the placebo effect)

This link is to a story about the suspected health risks

However, I'm not sure both these stories can be true.
----
Support the nascent Mad Open Science movement... when we talk about "hundreds of eyeballs," we really mean it. Lagged2Death

Add a little something else! (2.33 / 3) (#16)
by sneakcjj on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 12:13:19 PM EST

Red Bull and vodka is pretty good (just stay away from vodka in a plastic bottle).

Drink enough of it and you've got a wide awake drunk, it's pretty funny.

Drug interaction? (4.20 / 5) (#18)
by Signal 11 on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 01:03:56 PM EST

What did you take besides that drink?

What you're describing sounds like something close to an overdose on stimulants. OTC stuff like ephedrine, no-doze, etc., can all cause what you've described if you take too much. And some people are just hypersensitive.

Go back and figure out what you had over the last 48 hours - as well as the environment you were in. It's not commonly known outside certain occupations, but certain industrial cleaners, when inhaled (not for drug abuse, but simply during normal use of the agent), can have interesting effects if alcohol is then later consumed. Make a note of where you've been recently! You should be familiar with the half-life of any drug you take, OTC medication included. It is useful information in an emergency, and has saved my hide at least once. Lastly, if you are feeling brave, wait a few weeks and then try a smaller sample of it and see if you get similar effects.

Here's the ingredients breakdown for red bull:

B vitamins
glucuronolactone
taurine
caffeine

Vitamin B
The vitamin B that was in the drink is used by the body "for energy and carbohydrate metabolism." As a sidenote, it's often used to base MDMA (Ecstacy) - holds the pill together. I would guess that it was put in the drink to encourage higher metabolism for the other ingredients in the drink.

glucuronolactone
You want to read this before doing research on glucuronolactone. Other people have questioned this ingredient... so there's lots of FUD on this one. It's nothing more than a detoxifier, and it seems unlikely that even large quantities of it would cause problems (relatively-speaking).

taurine
Detoxifier, just like glucuronolactone, although it also is used in the production of bile and maintaining calcium levels in the body.

caffeine
This is what probably caused your 'brain orgasm' and nervousness. Read this. Taking large quantities of caffeine, after going without for awhile, has very deleterious effects, at least for me - one of the reasons why I rarely consume caffinated beverages these days in any quantity. The resulting headaches that last for hours, mental and physical draining of energy, and irritability put this one out of the running for me a long time ago. Any stimulant is going to make you feel better. Combinations of stimulants (ephedrine, and caffine) for example, are only going to multiply that effect. Combining a couple stimulants is a good way to create a "poor man's speed", and many people have probably done so unwittingly at least once in their life and not realized it. As a sidenote, caffeine peaks about 30-60 minutes after consumption. By your description, you peaked about 3 hours after. If you had anything to eat during your break, it might have delayed the effects of the caffeine. You said you were fine and that you went from fine to peaking out in about 1 hour... which is about the time it takes for caffeine. Some food for thought.

I'd be very interested in knowing if you took any cold medication that morning, had a lot of caffeine earlier, or have not taken caffeine in awhile, and what your diet is. You probably suffered a caffeine overdose, or (less likely) a drug interaction. Again, I can't stress enough that you recount your steps.

Society needs therapy. It's having
trouble accepting itself.

One other thing (on MDMA) (3.50 / 2) (#19)
by Signal 11 on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 01:08:53 PM EST

What you're describing is nothing like Ecstacy (you mentioned they were similar). Ecstacy is often mixed with stimulants to cause some of the symptoms that you're describing (most pills are <50% purity), but you'd know beyond question if you had taken ecstacy. For starters, most people don't get panic attacks on it... and in addition, you didn't say you were feeling like having mad sex with the person next to you or hugging everyone within a 5 kilometer radius of you. :^) <p>On the upside though, pure caffeine is relatively easy to find... pure E isn't. I'll leave you to judge which is the greater evil - Starbucks , or your local E dealer.

Society needs therapy. It's having
trouble accepting itself.
I did not say they were similar (3.50 / 2) (#20)
by DangerGrrl on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 01:19:49 PM EST

I know what good E feels like.
And then there is the shit that gets passed off as E. (aka speedy-bunk crap. Speedy indicating sensation, bunk indicating that it was not E.)
I am sorry I did not make the distinction clearer. This felt like crap that get's passed off as E but isn't.

On bunk pills... (5.00 / 1) (#34)
by SvnLyrBrto on Thu Aug 30, 2001 at 02:57:25 PM EST

Here's where John puts on his "I volunteer with these guys in my free time" hat....

Dancesafe has recently developed a new, updated, and more accurate, version of it's testing kit.

The new kit makes it much easier to differentiate between MDMA and DXM. (With the old kit, this was difficult and sometimes error-prone.)

It detects 2-CT-7, a, still-legal hallucinogen that is VERY easy to overdose on... ESPECIALLY when it is snorted, rathar than ingested.

If you get a pill that has speed, it will tell you if you amphetemine or methamphetemine.

It will also tell you if you have MDMA or MDA. (the old test only detected for "Ecstacy like" substances... MDMA, MDA, MDEA, etc, but it wouldn't tell you which)

And you can still use the old test to detect speed (meth or plain) as a precursor to the new test, and 2CB.

All in all, a much nicer kit. A bit pricey compared to the old one, but well worth it IMO.

cya,
john

Imagine all the people...

Funny that you mention E.... (none / 0) (#33)
by SvnLyrBrto on Thu Aug 30, 2001 at 02:35:53 PM EST

'Cuz if you look at the ingredients list, you'd get the impression that it was purposely targetted at Ecstacy use...

Taurine.... Bitchin antioxidant and energy booster.... good for all nite dancin and helping to fight neurotoxicity.

B-Complex vitamins....

Vitamin B5 aka Pantothenic Acid... helps 5-HTP to cross the brain-blood-barrier. Vitamin B6 for increased cellualr metabolism and energy. The rest of the Bs essentially to keep your immune system up.

Glucuronolactone, as you say, to flush out toxins (ie. MAO affected dopamine).

Caffeine and sugar for obvious reasons...

One would wonder if the Red Bull people were thinking of something else when they introduced it...

But rolling or no, it's still damn near the perfect raver drink.

cya,
john

Imagine all the people...

its never done that to me (2.00 / 1) (#23)
by steve m on Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 05:20:22 PM EST

I've drank quite a bit of this stuff over the past few years. I've had it with vodka or on it's own when i've needed perking up half way thru a good boozing session, and in the early morning, when I'm driving somewere on an early start and need to be sharp.
Either you americans get a different type of red bull, it was spiked, or you had a nasty reaction.

top tip: don't have any more - but don't slag it off with a bit 'o FUD. just because your body can't handle it doesn't mean everyone will freak out.

Got to agree with you... (none / 0) (#29)
by gordonjcp on Thu Aug 30, 2001 at 05:16:18 AM EST

... I've never had that from Red Bull.
I once stopped and bought some because I felt really tired while driving once. I was about 70 miles into a 200 mile journey, after a very heavy weekend, and was absolutely knackered.
Anyway, the Red Bull did shit all. Stopping a couple of miles further on and getting out for a pee perked me up far more (nothing like standing in horizontal rain at 9 degrees C with your trousers open to wake you up)...

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll bore you rigid with fishing stories for the rest of your life.

Mountain Dew O/T (none / 0) (#30)
by vrai on Thu Aug 30, 2001 at 08:02:12 AM EST

I realise this is rather off-topic but its rare to get a such a gathering of caffiene freaks in one place :)

Basically I live in the UK, but on a business trip to San Francisco I discovered the greeny-yellow delight that is Mountain Dew. The problem is that I have been unable to find a single place in the UK that actually sells it.

Does anyone know of such a place or am I doomed to continue my 5 redbull-a-day habit (which, incidentally, does not result in the effects DangerGrrl described) ?

Energy drink overdose effects (4.00 / 1) (#35)
by WWWWolf on Sun Sep 02, 2001 at 08:21:49 AM EST

Last month, in my company, we had a Major Demo coming up, and worked 8-hour days for about a week. During this time, I drank about 2 cans of Battery each day, and more than enough coffee. Also, some Red Bull.

Some things I noticed after the Major Demo:

• I couldn't remember a damn thing of what happened in the beginning of the week. (Well, that's fair enough for tiring and eventless week.)
  • I was considerably poorer and now, in the end of the month, before the month's pay comes to the account, I'm technically broke. (Coke would have been considerably cheaper. =)
  • I had gained a few kilos of weight. (Well, the harsh and low-money winter will help with this... =)
Uh, energy drinks have, as far as I've noticed, had no special effect on me. They seem to have only one good thing compared to coffee: It tastes slightly better. That's all. Net effect (for serious caffeine abuser, like me) is about the same.

There were some funny warnings in the cans, though. Battery can read "Shouldn't be drunk before sleeping" (okay, what kind of idiot whould drink stimulating drink before sleeping, anyway?) and one brand had "May cause feeling of heat surge and tingling - this is completely normal". =) (That brand, in fact, caused that sort of effect. The other brands like Battery or Red Bull haven't done anything that to me...) Of course, I've followed the recommended maximum dosages and not taken any other stimulants those days...

-- Weyfour WWWWolf, a lupine technomancer from the cold north...

Riding the Red Bull | 38 comments (36 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)