Tim Tams - Australia's Hidden Treasure

By Talez in Op-Ed
Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 11:41:28 AM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

It's a slow news day so I think it's time to follow up my vegemite article with something from the Australian culture that everyone will enjoy, CHOCOLATE BISCUTS!

If you've never had a Tim Tam I really feel sorry for you. 30 million packs (a pack being 10 biscuts) are sold each year in Australia alone and there's a reason why. You guys who think Oreos are good, well, you ain't seen nothing yet. Once you try out the just right mix of chocolate biscut, chocolate filling and chocolate cover, you'll never want to taste the sickeningly sweet cream of an oreo cookie ever again!

Apparently 69% of Australians will share their Tim Tams. I personally think that statistic is bullshit. Apparently 40% of Australians hide their Tim Tams as well. I also think thats bullshit too ;). Trust me, when you buy a pack from the supermarket, you won't want to share any of them. If anyone asks, you won't realise it but you'll be a very large obstruction between anyone else and your Tim Tams. But don't worry, it'll be worth it once you scarf them down!

Everyone has their favourite way of eating Tim Tams. My advice is to find a way that works for you and then work on other methods. Some ways people have found to eat Tim Tams are:

Straight Out Of The Cupboard

Boooooooooooooring... Pick a Tim Tam from the pack and eat it. This method requires little skill, although eating it too slowly will result in brown fingers thanks to the chocolate which is magically attracted to fingers and is almost impossible to lick off completely.

From The Fridge

Store your Tim Tams in the fridge/freezer and you will be blessed with the most heavenly treat you could ever wish for on a summer day. As an added bonus the chocolate tends to stay more solid for longer. The only problem is, Tim Tams take over 6 hours to reach optimum eating temperature which can be an extremely long time to wait on a summer day!

Dunking in coffee!

Tasty but messy. This method is for people that can't handle the last method, which I will explain shortly. To achieve this mocha like flavour of coffee and chocolate, simply dunk your Tim Tam in a cup of WARM (not boiling hot) coffee for no more than 2 seconds. Any longer and the coffee WILL start to strip the chocolate from the biscut and it's not good at all when that happens :(

The Tim Tam Straw

Requires a huge amount of skill to perform right. If you screw it up it's going to make one hell of a mess and if you try it with hot coffee you will scald your mouth ;). Nibble off opposite corners of a tim tam biscut. Not too much, just enough so theres about 1/4 of an inch of the actual inner biscut exposed. Then put the exposed end just below the surface of your coffee and suck on the other end. Congratulations, you're drinking coffee and eating Tim Tams like they were always meant to be!

Now I bet you are wondering, "Where can I buy some of these supposedly great chocolate biscuts?". Well, you can buy them straight from here from Arnott's directly or look for a local distributor who stocks Arnott's Biscuts. I urge you to try these biscuts. You don't know what you're missing and I promise they taste good! No aquired taste, I swear! Anyway, try them out and I bet you'll all be hooked and using Tim Tams during the coffee break to drink the morning cup of joe!

I Eat My Tim Tams By...
o Eating straight from the pack! 31%
o Chilling them to Ice Cold 25%
o Dunking them in Coffee! 6%
o Suck and Munch! 37%

o Tim Tam
o here
o Also by Talez

Tim Tams - Australia's Hidden Treasure | 95 comments (76 topical, 19 editorial, 0 hidden)
i do belive (4.50 / 4) (#3)
by Net_Fish on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 07:44:58 AM EST

that anyone who doesn't vote this one up is a terroist :(

Tim Tams > *
thankyou, that is all

Natalie Imbruglia (4.50 / 2) (#4)
by the trinidad kid on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 07:52:22 AM EST

Natalie Imbruglia demonstrated how to do the Tim-Tam straw on So Graham Norton once (as detailed here - thanks google you can find anything...)

A close relative of the Cadbury's Spira straw I thought. A Spira is a chocolate finger with holes through it through which you can suck chocolate - buy them here online.

You know... (3.50 / 2) (#18)
by leviramsey on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 09:50:44 AM EST

...anything that involves Natalie Imbruglia sucking is perfectly fine by me!

The Tim Tam Straw is really... (none / 0) (#74)
by awful on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 05:12:53 PM EST

.. the Tim Tam Slam!

In Melbourne anyway...

Tim Tam Lovers of the world unite +1 (3.00 / 1) (#5)
by eviltwin on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 07:54:56 AM EST

Tim Tams are fantastic - i keep mine in the freezer.

If you have never tried them you have never lived!

Now if i could just explain vegemite...

All generalisations are false, including this one.
Oh yes... yummy! (+1) (4.00 / 1) (#8)
by Chancellor Martok on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 07:59:11 AM EST

They're started exporting Tim Tams to all sorts of places now, aren't they? I don't know... I think I heard you can get them in Israel the other day? Hmm... well definitely something the most of the rest of the world is missing out on ATM. Mmmm... Tim Tams! :P

/me gotta go get some from the fridge now...

-----
Chancellor Martok  in Sydney, Australia
"Castrate instead. That can surely rehabilitate. I did it volunatrily, and my grades went up!"  -- Sen

Dunking Physics.. (5.00 / 5) (#13)
by kimpton on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 08:17:45 AM EST

... dunking your biscuit into a milky drink gives you up to 11 times more flavour release than from eating the dry biscuit alone.

From here

(+1 by the by...hooray for confectionary related stories).

some other obvious stuff... (none / 0) (#41)
by chopper on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 12:10:35 PM EST

...from that article:

His team also found that the worst drink to have with your biscuit is a soft drink such as lemonade. The flavour does not stay the same, it actually goes down by a factor of 10.

well, duh...

give a man a fish,he'll eat for a day

give a man religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

If it's obvious... (none / 0) (#51)
by synaesthesia on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 12:47:22 PM EST

...could you please explain how the 10 is calculated? Does it depend whether you prefer lemonade to tea?

Sausages or cheese?
okay... (none / 0) (#61)
by chopper on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 02:13:58 PM EST

well, the specific factor of 10 might be a little off from my initial guess, which would have been about 30 or so.

but to say that Tim Tams dipped in lemonade are far, far worse than those dipped in milk is like saying that strawberries dipped in chocolate are far better than those dipped in country gravy. its a given.

give a man a fish,he'll eat for a day

give a man religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Kuro5hin: Austrailian Cuisine, From the Trenches (4.50 / 6) (#14)
by wiredog on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 08:26:17 AM EST

Next week: Austrailian Table Wines!

+1, FP

Peoples Front To Reunite Gondwanaland: "Stop the Laurasian Separatist Movement!"

If theres a demand for it... (none / 0) (#15)
by Talez on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 08:28:22 AM EST

I'll do a weekly Australian cusine column... It seems most people here seem to appreciate it in small doses :)

Si in Googlis non est, ergo non est
Do something about... (none / 0) (#16)
by FredBloggs on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 08:31:41 AM EST

...Micheal Leunig! Its impossible to get his stuff (cartoon books) in the UK, and the mans a genius! (And a net-phobe!)

for those interested: (none / 0) (#24)
by tenpo on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 10:21:41 AM EST

Here's a nice site with a bit of info: curlyflat.net

Also, I love the two comics displayed on this page. Simply marvelous.

Anyone here ever listen to Monty Python? (none / 0) (#36)
by wiredog on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 11:08:03 AM EST

Just curious, since no one seems to have caught the reference.

Yep... (none / 0) (#45)
by Obvious Pseudonym on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 12:22:08 PM EST

I'm quite partial to a bottle of "Chateau Nuis San Wogga Wogga" , or a quick "Melbourne Old And Yellow" before lunch.

Obvious Pseudonym

I am obviously right, and as you disagree with me, then logically you must be wrong.

With a bouquet (none / 0) (#47)
by wiredog on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 12:25:00 PM EST

like an aborigines armpit.

At the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club they were fishing them out of the sewers every half an hour.

yes (5.00 / 1) (#62)
by chopper on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 02:15:03 PM EST

...this is not a wine for drinking, this is a wine for lying down and avoiding.

give a man a fish,he'll eat for a day

give a man religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Ask, and ye shall receive (none / 0) (#68)
by watchmaker on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 02:58:07 PM EST

For the record, I caught the reference immediately. :) And laughed, though I'm convinced that Eric Idle (And John Cleese for that matter) could read the Dictionary and make it funny.

(Though, to catch it, you have to be a real python fan, as, to my knowledge, the bit only appears on the albums, never in any mass market media).

Or how about Australian white? (none / 0) (#35)
by dipipanone on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 10:59:18 AM EST

From the much celebrated Yates Wine Lodge. This isn't the sort of thing that many wine connoseiurs would bother their arses with, being a fortified wine.

It's main advantage was that it used to be the fastest and cheapest way to get toilet hugging drunk. Two large Whites would have even the most hardened drinker crying for his lost childhood love and declaring undying fealty to anyone who will listen.

Although it's actually sold in Yates as 'Aussie White', I've always wondered whether Australians actually drunk the stuff. I bet they don't and it was just one of their earliest attempts at getting the art of winemaking right.

Suck my .sig
lol (5.00 / 1) (#39)
by Silent Chris on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 11:53:51 AM EST

I've gotta wonder that myself. Articles about video games "wreck the seriousness of the site", but articles on vegemite and cookies clearly help our cultural influences.

THEY'RE CALLED COOKIES!!!!! (2.00 / 9) (#22)
by Yellowbeard on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 10:19:09 AM EST

Biscuit is a fluffy thing that the Brits mistakenly call a "scone." Cut up and fried potatoes are called French Fries - not Chips, and black, tarry Yeasty shit in a jar is called black, tarry shit in a jar - not "Bovril" or "Vegemite" or whatever you are calling it.

Speak AMERICAN, Dammit!

YB - today's PR rep for the great imperial hegemony of the United States of McCocaMickey

"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt." - Deniro in Ronin

From the horse's mouth (3.50 / 2) (#25)
by tenpo on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 10:27:12 AM EST

The people who make them are Arnott's Biscuit Company. Do you seriously call scones 'biscuits'? If so, you are strange and I fear you. And the I bet the Belgians get REALLY pissed off every time they hear someone say "french fries".

But, back on the scone/biscuit/cookie thing: how would you define each? Where is the line drawn? For my mind:

• scone: Large doughy thing roughly bun shaped usually had with cream, jam and tea.
  • cookie: round flat doughy thing. Crunchy and sometimes with some covering of sugary 'chips' (eg. chocolate).
  • biscuit: pretty much any other doughy thing, often involving layers or coverings of sugary things.

An Aussie speaks. (5.00 / 1) (#76)
by static on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 05:46:33 PM EST

Scone: small, doughy, bread-like item usually et with some combination of cream, jam and butter.

Biscuit: small flat-ish edible item, sometimes hard, sometimes soft, sometimes dry, sometimes moist, sometimes cream-filled, sometimes plain, sometimes even covered in chocolate. Some versions are often eaten with beverages such as coffee, others are normally eaten with party dip.

Cracker: marketing term for dry biscuit normally served either as hors douevres or with the cheese platter.

Cookie: programming term for an opaque data item returned by an API to represent something else. Also inexpicably used by Americans when they usually mean Biscuit. :-)

Wade.

Do you think (none / 0) (#77)
by davidduncanscott on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 05:51:37 PM EST

the Belgians want to be associated with greasy fried potatoes? Surely Hercule Poirot would rather die.

I always assumed the name arose as an insult, like "taking French leave".

i think it only fair (none / 0) (#81)
by tenpo on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 09:34:00 PM EST

Whether they want to be or not, since they invented them they should accept full responsibility for the destruction and misery that their creation has wrought in this world.

Fair Dinkum (4.00 / 1) (#80)
by cam on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 07:22:40 PM EST

Do you seriously call scones 'biscuits'?

Worse I made some Damper to show off to my American friends and they called it a big biscuit. Damper is Damper.

Ketchup, Tomato Sauce and Tomato Paste are all out by one too, causes much confusion.

A cookie appears to be anything not a biscuit and not a pizza. Though some cookies are the size of pizzas.

cam
Freedom, Liberty, Equity and an Australian Republic

So.. (none / 0) (#83)
by Schnapp23 on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 01:16:06 AM EST

So ketchup is really, ... what? soup?

Happy Days (none / 0) (#95)
by cam on Sun Mar 31, 2002 at 07:14:38 AM EST

So ketchup is really, ... what? soup?

When I was a kid, I only knew the word ketchup because they said it on "Happy Days". At age 5, other than Hanna Barbera cartoons, that was my only dose of American culture.

Ketchup and tomato sauce are the same.

cam
Freedom, Liberty, Equity and an Australian Republic

Sorry to burst your bubble but... (none / 0) (#26)
by coolvibe on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 10:30:40 AM EST

A scone is a fluffy thing that YOU americans mistakenly call a bisquit.

The american dialect of the english language is the one that's the most contorted and wrong :)

Yet another community site: hackerheaven.org. Now in juicy Scoop flavour!

Biscuits and scones? (none / 0) (#32)
by dipipanone on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 10:51:42 AM EST

Biscuit is a fluffy thing that the Brits mistakenly call a "scone.".

I don't think so. Scones are things that you eat with Tiptree's strawberry jam and Devonshire clotted cream. Sometimes they have raisins or sultanas in.

Unless I'm misinformed, biscuits are the things that Elvis used to eat with his chicken-fried steak (whatever the hell that is) and gravy.

You definitely wouldn't eat a scone with chicken and gravy.

Suck my .sig
chicken-fried steak (none / 0) (#40)
by wiredog on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 12:09:54 PM EST

Take a tough piece of beef. Pound it flat an thin (about 1/4 inch) to tenderize it. Bread it. Pan-fry it as you would a piece of similarly treated chicken (thus 'chicken-fried'). Serve with gravy, mashed potatos, and canned green beans.

Do it with not-so-tough veal... (none / 0) (#44)
by Obvious Pseudonym on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 12:18:27 PM EST

...and you have a Wiener Schnitzel (Note for Americans: That's pronounced 'Veener', not 'Whiner', it's a place in Austria)

Obvious Pseudonym

Hey! (none / 0) (#48)
by Yellowbeard on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 12:27:01 PM EST

I'll have you know that I have been able to make a pretty fine Wiener Schnitzel (as well as pronounce it right) for over a decade now. Yummy. It kicks that ass out of chicken fried steak. With some parsley or german fried potatoes and a beer. Wow. Now I'm really hungry. Hey! Just don't let this conversation be seen by those veg heads of that other article. ;)

"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt." - Deniro in Ronin

Wiener Schnitzel (3.66 / 3) (#49)
by Patrick Bateman 10005 on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 12:41:31 PM EST

"Note for Americans: That's pronounced 'Veener', not 'Whiner', it's a place in Austria"

Specifically, Wien (pronounced Veen) is a city in Austria. Auf Englisch, we call it Vienna. 'Wiener' is someone or something from Wien. 'Schnitzel' means cutlet.

And hence... (none / 0) (#63)
by watchmaker on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 02:24:08 PM EST

Wiener (The american word pronounced WEEnuhr) to mean hot dog, which derives loosely from Vienna Sausage. How this is related to Frankfurters, I'm not certain.

Pedantic correction... (none / 0) (#69)
by ti dave on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 02:58:51 PM EST

Trust me. Wien is the city in Austria.
Nothing else counts, including Salzburg.

"If you dial," Iran said, eyes open and watching, "for greater venom, then I'll dial the same."

Different origins. (none / 0) (#65)
by watchmaker on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 02:46:56 PM EST

Chicken Fried Steak is American poor food. It was originally made to make tougher cuts of beef like Flank or Round cuts more palatable.

Take a Flank Steak, and grill it, and you've got something pretty close to shoe leather. (Unless, of course, you marinate it, grill it, and slice it very thin diagonally against the grain. But then you've got London Broil, and that's a different show).

But take a Flank steak, beat it senseless so that it's thin (Perhaps 1/4". That's 6.35mm for you non americans. 3.15657e-05 furlongs for those of you who are clinically insane.) and the fibers are broken and spread out, dredge it in some flour, an egg wash, then the breading mixture of choice (I prefer finely ground baguette style crumbs, but ground saltine cracker meal is traditional.) and then pan fry in the fat of your choice (Lard is traditional, but Canola oil will keep you from dying). Drain the oil, leaving the bits, and deglazing the pan with milk, butter and a flour slurry to thicken, salt and black pepper to taste (I prefer white pepper and kosher salt.) making a lovely white milk gravy.

Serve over roughly mashed potatoes and cover the whole thing with gravy. Of course, this is all better if you have BISCUITS, but I can't imagine dunking a tim tam in gravy. :)

This makes the beef much less tough. While not juicy and succulent by any means, you can actually get your teeth through it without dislocating your jaw.

(And, by the way, when prepared right, is damn delicious)

Wienerschnitzel, on the other hand, didn't arise out of financial necessity, but out of culinary ease. Veal is tricky stuff due to the juvenile fiber structure of the meat, and it can be difficult to cook evenly (Though not impossible. You can braise veal very nicely, but you don't see alot of inch thick veal steaks on the grill, I'd wager).

So by pounding the veal thin and doing the above technique (Though I'll admit, I'm not sure of the preferred breading substance) you have something that IS still tender and succulent, and cooked evenly all the way through.

(And, by the way, it's delicious too, for different reasons.)

Cincinnati, my home town, was a german immigrant stronghold early in the 20th century, and there's still a great deal of excellent german restaurants.

For the record, I may be a geek by trade, but I'm a foodie at heart. If I could make what I do in my tech job by cooking for a living, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. :)

its all in the gravy... (none / 0) (#72)
by rebelcool on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 03:47:23 PM EST

It must cream gravy. I know some people who put brown gravy on their chicken fried steak, and they deserve to be beaten.

Cream gravy with liberal amounts of pepper, and mashed potatos...

Oh my, now I must make my way to threadgill's which has the best CFS in austin...

COG. Build your own community. Free, easy, powerful. Demo site

I am always amazed at the language differences (5.00 / 3) (#46)
by Yellowbeard on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 12:23:01 PM EST

I thought scones were these super british high culture thingy that one had with hight tea or something. When I got there, I found out that what we call biscuits are what you call scones. We seldom put things in our biscuits (like raisins or such) but the pracitce is not totally unknown. But we eat our biscuits in a variety of ways - my personal choice is with butter and jam (although clotted cream is heavenly - but I can't get it here) but some eat them smothered in gravy (Americans will cover almost anything in gravy & or ketchup), or with chicken fried steak - or chicken fried chicken, for that matter.

We call anything round, vaguely flat, and sweet (whether hard or soft) a cookie. Come to think of it, they don't even have to be round. Basically everything that you lot call biscuits, we call cookies (though some of your unsweet biscuits are very close to what we call crackers). Cookies can have chocolate chips, raisins, m&ms, or other stuff in.

The thing is, these arguements remind me of arguments that a friend and I always are having about word meanings - I believe that some words have inherent meaning (strange, as I am mostly a subjectivist, normally) whereas he says that we should look to common usage. By his definition (and I am sure he'll love this, as he is one of my old flatmates from Britain) my word usages are correct, as there are more Americans than there are Brits.

I hope you all know that I am merely poking fun. If you don't, you can bloody well fuck off.

"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt." - Deniro in Ronin

Ye crazy Yanks (none / 0) (#55)
by synaesthesia on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 01:17:12 PM EST

In Britain we have things called crackers too; I expect they are pretty similar. But biscuits are never soft (c.f. biscuit porcelain, althought the word itself is derived from bis coctus meaning twice-baked). I would call a soft sweet round thing a cookie, for want of a better word.

I'll just toss a few more baked products into the mix:

• Shortbread
  • Oatcakes
  • Pancakes (I know this isn't baked but I wanted to bring it up because this is one of the few areas in which I think Americans have it right and Brits wrong - we use the word pancakes to mean what the French call crepes, which are not very cakey at all.)
  • Flapjack
And many more which I can't think of.

Given that English and American are not the same language, my reasoning for claiming that those who speak English are more correct would run as follows: the majority of people who speak one or the other (I'll leave Australian, South African, etc. out of this just now for the sake of brevity) speak American; but if asked, would say that they speak English. These people are therefore obviously confused about the meaning of words and should be ignored.

Sausages or cheese?
I thought (none / 0) (#56)
by Yellowbeard on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 01:22:48 PM EST

that flapjacks and pancakes were the same things?

Canadians?

Lumberjacks?

anyone?

"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt." - Deniro in Ronin

Flapjacks and pancakes the same? (none / 0) (#60)
by synaesthesia on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 02:08:27 PM EST

Ye Gods, no.

Flapjack is mixture of rolled oats, butter, sugar and syrup, usually baked until fairly hard.

Pancake mixture comprises eggs, flour and milk, and is fried until solid (but soft).

Sausages or cheese?
Yep (none / 0) (#64)
by ShadowNode on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 02:25:47 PM EST

Flapjack is a synonym for pancake, at least in Canada.

Shortbread is a type of cookie (none / 0) (#57)
by wiredog on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 01:50:44 PM EST

It certainly isn't a bread, as it is unleavened.

Interesting (none / 0) (#58)
by synaesthesia on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 02:03:54 PM EST

Are you suggesting that unleavened bread is not a bread either?

You're right, though, shortbread is sweet and usually crumbly.

Sausages or cheese?
Uhhhh (none / 0) (#59)
by wiredog on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 02:08:04 PM EST

Unleavened bread is. Ummmm. Uhhh. Well.

OK, bread doesn't require leavening. Especially during Passover.

cracker (none / 0) (#79)
by persimmon on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 07:08:00 PM EST

Hard unleavened breads, like the Wasa rye variants and matzo whatzits, are crackers.

The soft ones are just "flatbreads", although there's a lot of leavened soft flatbreads.
It's funny because it's a blancmange!

Going further off topic... (none / 0) (#66)
by bgarcia on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 02:47:51 PM EST

Basically everything that you lot call biscuits, we call cookies.
Reminds me of a time when I was reviewing some source code written by a native Englishman from our Canadian office.

All through the code, he had this variable called "biscuit". I asked, "This variable called 'biscuit', what does it do?". To which he answered, "Think cookie".

You're absolutely right (none / 0) (#54)
by Karmakaze on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 01:11:59 PM EST

A scone is most certainly not what an American would think of when thinking "biscuit". Biscuits are almost never sweet. Now, a biscut frequently has the same heavy, doughy texture as a scone, which is why so many people use it as a comparison.

You're more likely to see bits of ham or bacon baked into a bisucit than raisins.

By and large, when Americans encounters a scone, they call it a "scone", or, if they don't recognize it, "A biscuit-like thing, except it was sweet."

Karmakaze

You might. (none / 0) (#92)
by gordonjcp on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 12:56:51 PM EST

You definitely wouldn't eat a scone with chicken and gravy.
Cheese scones... Mmmm. Just the job for soaking up gravy. Isn't that what Americans use "biscuits" (US definition) for?

Making people hungry via the 'Net - part three
I'm about to go home, and make some cheese scones. Then, while I'm doing that, I'm going to cook some Swedish meatballs, mashed potato (loads of butter in it, grate cheese over the top, grill until the cheese is browned then a wee sprinkle of freshly-ground black pepper), and fresh green beans from the greengrocer near my flat (who gets this stuff in fresh every day). Just "blanch" the green beans - 30 seconds in boiling water - which keeps the flavour and colour, and all the goodness.
Then, once the cheese scones are done (about 15 mins), let them cool a little (not too much - they're nicer warm), spread with butter, and a large pot of tea. Lovely.

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll bore you rigid with fishing stories for the rest of your life.

It's not biscuit... (none / 0) (#73)
by Dephex Twin on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 04:57:18 PM EST

If you look at the article, the author appears to be talking about "biscuts", not biscuits. So while it's obvious that biscuits are actually cookies, "biscuts" might be completely different.

mark

Alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -- Homer Simpson
Tim Tams good, +1 (2.00 / 2) (#23)
by jij on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 10:20:20 AM EST

Vegemite bad, -1

I like Tim Tams, but if you ever bring a tin of Vegemite, opened or not, within 50 meters of me, I'll puke all over you. Really, I will.

You Have Been Warned.

"people who thinks quotes are witty are fucking morons" - turmeric

For UKians... (none / 0) (#27)
by deefer on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 10:31:10 AM EST

Tim Tams are almost identical to Penguins. In a head-to-head taste test, neither my aussie co-worker nor myself could tell the difference.

Kill the baddies.
Get the girl.
And save the entire planet.

I've been eating Penguins (the cookies) in the US (5.00 / 1) (#28)
by greyrat on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 10:36:35 AM EST

since I was a tot. Yes, they are the best. No this is not a good submission.
~ ~ ~
Did I actually read the article? No. No I didn't.
"Watch out for me nobbystyles, Gromit!"

I've been eating penguins (the birds) (4.00 / 1) (#52)
by Yellowbeard on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 12:55:07 PM EST

Man are they oily. But lately, I have been taking cutlets of them and pounding them flat, then breading them and.... oh, wait. Uhhhhhh...

"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt." - Deniro in Ronin

Smoked penguin breasts (none / 0) (#53)
by the trinidad kid on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 01:05:41 PM EST

I had a lovely meal in Rekyavik where the starter was a selection of smoked penguin breasts, blackbird breast and wild goose.

The main course was wild reindeer on a bed of wild goose liver.

I really wanted to go to the whale restaurant that night though...

Penguins are better (none / 0) (#67)
by r1chard on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 02:56:15 PM EST

OK this might sound lik a rant from an ex-pat who now live in Australia, but Penguins are better, mailnly due, in my opinion, to the superior quality of the chocolate.

I don't think Arnott's have got anything over brands like McVities in the UK. To me they rate on a par with UBISCO.

Nad or course, none compare to making your own cookies, which you can eat minutes after they come out of the oven...

not in the US yet huh? (none / 0) (#42)
by techwolf on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 12:12:15 PM EST

oh well I guess I'll just stick in Remaining in shape!
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson
Are you trying to torture us in the US (none / 0) (#43)
by cione on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 12:18:02 PM EST

Come on its 9:00 in the morning on the west coast. I skipped breakfast and now I am reading how great food is that I can't have. What are you trying to do to me? The only thing that stopped my hunger was the mentioning of Vegemite. They sell these "biscuits" in Japan but not here. Good story but now I got to take an early lunch which means longer till dinner.

Growing weak cant go on...................

___________________________________________

The crazy people really have it all together

Tim Tams are just another mediocre biscuit (none / 0) (#50)
by donky on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 12:43:49 PM EST

They tasted just the same as any other chocolate biscuit I bought off the shelf at my local supermarket.

Maybe you should move to New Zealand, we have less mediocre biscuits to make tim tams look good ;)

You're killing me (none / 0) (#70)
by whojgalt on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 03:16:45 PM EST

I just swore off coffee and all caffeine in an attempt to actually wake up in the morning once in a while. And now I have to read this?!?!
this mocha like flavour of coffee and chocolate,
Stop, please stop, I can't take it....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you can't see it from the car, it's not really scenery.
Any code more than six months old was written by an idiot.

I've got Australian 1-1... (none / 0) (#71)
by watchmaker on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 03:18:09 PM EST

On my scorecard. Anything that's chocolate and chocolate is +1 in my book.

Of course, vegemite offends me. It's not something any human was meant to eat. Just because you have stuff left over from some other process, doesnt mean you have to eat it. I put it in the same category as Haggis and Head Cheese. ("Angus, what should we do with all these leftover bits?")

So, the Aussie food score is even. Give us another. :)

There is no food on the planet that cannot be made better through the addition of Chocolate or Garlic as appropriate

Nothing compares to the taste of (none / 0) (#75)
by maroberts on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 05:40:14 PM EST

either a Chocolate Digestive, or even better, a Chocolate HobNob.

~~~
The greatest trick the Devil pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist -- Verbil Kint, The Usual Suspects
Tim Tams with Tea (none / 0) (#78)
by Quixato on Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 06:35:53 PM EST

Try the last method with Tea instead of coffee.. yummmy. The part I like the most is the fact that the Tim Tam becomes almost instantly liquified, yet still holds its shape. Then just plop the semi-liquid chocolate in your mouth, and you've reached heaven. Delicious! Again though, like others here, I'm mention vegemite, and wonder at the insanity of Australia that can be so good at one thing, and yet have gone so terribly wrong with another.

"People are like smarties - all different colours on the outside, but exactly the same on the inside." - Me
"Learn to question, question to learn." - Sl8r

I can't belive this... (5.00 / 1) (#82)
by Turkish Delight on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 12:00:41 AM EST

I can't get this in USian stores?!

Getting tim tams in LA (none / 0) (#90)
by twikham on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 08:12:51 AM EST

If you are in LA you can get Tim Tams in a little meat pie shop(called something dopey likethe Oz Pie Shop or something) on Venice Beach. Also sell minites :)

I don't like chocolate (none / 0) (#84)
by Rainy on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 01:36:32 AM EST

I really don't. I'd eat it if I was *really* hungry and there was nothing around, but otherwise - no thanks. Of all sweets my favorite is, I guess, a Marzipan cake with apricot filling, it's a rectangular bricket with dimensions about 15x5x5 cm; it's made in either Denmark or Germany. I first seen them when I lived in Russia, and when I moved here (US), I never seen them anywhere except for Russian stores.

Try one if you ever see it. It has a very subtle taste.
Rainy "Collect all zero" Day

Tim Tam's and Baileys! (none / 0) (#85)
by Draken on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 02:02:56 AM EST

MMmmm.... chocolate and Irish Cream....

CHEAP CHOCOLATE (none / 0) (#86)
by gnovos on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 02:22:47 AM EST

Tim Tams are supremely overrated by those who love them. Yes, they are all full of chocolate, but it isn't chocolate GOODNESS. It's just the cheapest chocolate they could find/scrape off the floor at the chocolate maker's house. The Keebler elves do a better job and they aren't even trying.

And Oreos, hands down, win the chocolate race against ANY other cookie.

A Haiku: "fuck you fuck you fuck/you fuck you fuck you fuck you/fuck you fuck you snow" - JChen
Oreos... Yeech... (none / 0) (#87)
by Talez on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 02:54:07 AM EST

That cream is sickeningly sweet... I can't get through any more than 2 or 3 without wanting to throw up...

Tim Tams on the other hand, I could eat 3 packs and still not have enough ;)

Si in Googlis non est, ergo non est
remove the cream (none / 0) (#88)
by gnovos on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 03:35:59 AM EST

scrape it off, seriously. the cookie part rocks.

Even then (none / 0) (#89)
by Talez on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 06:38:02 AM EST

The cookies aren't that crash hot... Tim Tams all the way!

Si in Googlis non est, ergo non est
Tim Tams & Aussie stuff in Silicon Valley (5.00 / 1) (#91)
by esq on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 11:19:07 PM EST

I get my fix of Australian stuff (ie Vegemite, Violet Crumbles, Meat Pies (!), Drinking Chocalate, Coconut Ice and Chicko's) at:

Australian Products Co.

3080 Neal Ave

San Jose, CA. 95128

They mailorder anywhere in the US, but it is *DEFINITELY* worth dropping in to their shop. It even feels like a country store, but I suspect that's not intentional.

BTW: I have no association with them except as an addicted customer.

The Tim Tam Straw ?? (none / 0) (#93)
by AndrewMcGilvray on Sat Mar 30, 2002 at 03:03:42 AM EST

Isnt it called a Tim Tam Bomb ?? I think TTB is the more popular name.

AKA: The Tim Tam Slam (none / 0) (#94)
by esq on Sun Mar 31, 2002 at 02:27:40 AM EST