I'd never vote for a black President

By yuo in Op-Ed
Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 02:52:57 PM EST
Tags: Politics, pebobama, racist shit (all tags)
Politics

The Presidential race between Barack Obama and John McCain ended just like the polls said it would, and now, come January, we're going to have the first black president in the White House. I know this because the headline article at Fox News is titled Obama Wins White House, Becomes First Black President. Oh Boy!

In his concession speech, Senator McCain said, "This is a historic election, and I recognize the special significance it has for African-Americans and for the special pride that must be theirs tonight." Does that make any sense? Why would a bunch of black people be happy that a black guy became the first black President? Doesn't that mean that's it's okay for me, a white man, to be upset that the President isn't white?

Maybe Barack Obama can shed some light on this for us. From his "victory" speech, which he made just after what appeared to be his Oscar acceptance speech, he spoke about Ann Nixon Cooper, a 106 year old black woman who was never even a slave... but she did live through a whole lot. In her lifetime, she saw "women's suffrage" as well as "black's suffrage". She lived through desegregation and the moon landing and the Berlin wall. Her biggest claim to fame, though, is that she's 106 years old. After all, a 106 year old white woman would have lived to see the same shit. That's what always happens to people who JUST.WON'T.DIE.

You know what else just won't die? These news articles that say we're going to have a black President. The headline article on the BBC news website right after the election ended was, Obama wins historic US election: Democratic Senator Barack Obama says "change has come to America", after being elected the first black president of the United States. Great... Not only did we elect a black President, but now the whole world knows about it.

Obama didn't end his "victory" speech with all that black shit. After he finished with the "acceptance speech", and the "black church sermon", he ended with his trademark "hope". What will his daughters see if they don't die for as long as that Ann Nixon Cooper woman didn't die?

Wait... Does that mean that he wants to do things now with a mind for what will happen even in the distant future? I mean, 106 years isn't really that long a time, not much longer than a normal modern human's lifetime... But look at the social and technological progress we've made since 106 years ago. Isn't our society much better off now than it was even 221 years ago when the Constitution was drafted?

By focusing on his skin color, the big news outlets and even John McCain immediately began trivializing Obama's actual great accomplishment, one that only 44 or so of hundreds of millions of Americans have ever accomplished. You know what I'm talking about. So no, I'd never vote for a black President, any more than I'd vote for a white President. I simply voted for the candidate who I thought would be the best President, and his name was Barack Hussein Obama.

How far should we look forward?
o .1 years 15%
o 1 year 0%
o 10 years 21%
o 100 years 36%
o 1000 years 2%
o 10000 years 23%

o headline article at Fox News
o headline article on the BBC news website
o Also by yuo

I'd never vote for a black President | 71 comments (64 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)
A Black President Is Nothing. (2.50 / 6) (#2)
by MichaelCrawford on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 04:42:02 AM EST

Wake me up when a lesbian woman of color is elected Commander-in-Chief.

A married lesbian woman of color.

Only then will it be true what every parent assures every child: that anyone can grow up to be President.

Live your fucking life. Sue someone on the Internet. Write a fucking music player. Like the great man Michael David Crawford has shown us all: Hard work, a strong will to stalk, and a few fries short of a happy meal goes a long way. -- bride of spidy

and after that (3.00 / 8) (#7)
by Delirium on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 06:49:39 AM EST

maybe an atheist

I'll raise you a Muslim. $ (3.00 / 2) (#8)
by MichaelCrawford on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 06:56:21 AM EST

satan worshipper? (3.00 / 2) (#10)
by j1mmy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 07:43:14 AM EST

black crippled albino satan worshipping female lesbo president

Don't forget child molestor \\ (none / 1) (#18)
by rpresser on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 10:02:43 AM EST

------------
"In terms of both hyperbolic overreaching and eventual wrongness, the Permanent [Republican] Majority has set a new, and truly difficult to beat, standard." --rusty
That'll be a republican then. (3.00 / 9) (#19)
by daveybaby on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 10:19:00 AM EST

atheists still worse than muslims ~ (none / 1) (#27)
by rhiannon on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 02:45:47 PM EST

-----------------------------------------
I continued to rebuff the advances... so many advances... of so many attractive women. -MC
It will be a very long time (none / 1) (#48)
by Nimey on Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 08:24:54 PM EST

before America's ready for an atheist or humanist president. Them and gays are the two groups that it's OK to really hate on.
Never mind, it was just the dog cumming -- jandev
You Sir, are an Ignorant Motherfucker. -- Crawford
I am arguably too manic to do that. -- Crawford
I already fuck my mother -- trane
Nimey is right -- Blastard
i am in complete agreement with Nimey -- i am a pretty big deal

probably atheists moreso (3.00 / 2) (#50)
by Delirium on Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 11:32:55 PM EST

Even conservatives try to soften their views on gays these days, limiting their opposition to specific things like gay marriage, or carefully worded things like "we think homosexuality is immoral but [something nice to soften it]"

Meanwhile it's apparently acceptable for mainstream politicians to opine that atheists should be stripped of their citizenship; I don't recall anyone proposing that for gays, at least openly.

when you wake up you'll be president (none / 1) (#26)
by balsamic vinigga on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 01:53:01 PM EST

in a white house and bulletproof vest (mental hospital and straight jacket)

Please help fund a Filipino Horror Movie. It's been in limbo since 2007 due to lack of funding. Please donate today!
Bush is president. (1.50 / 2) (#46)
by NMC spammer on Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 05:50:01 PM EST

Vote me down, bitches.
Wake me up when a disabled president (3.00 / 2) (#49)
by nictamer on Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 08:47:26 PM EST

Oh right there was FDR.
Well wake me up when there's a MENTALLY disabled president.
Nevermind, W's still here.
Religion is for sheep.
McGovern's VP candidate was manic-depressive (1.50 / 2) (#55)
by MichaelCrawford on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 05:22:51 AM EST

His name was Eagleton, and his candidacy was quite controversial as he had been hospitalized several times.

yuo has a point (2.76 / 13) (#3)
by nostalgiphile on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 04:47:17 AM EST

however, to his credit, I can't remember Obama ever making an issue out of his skin-color before being elected. So it's important to remember that while he won over voters like yuo on the basis of merit, he STILL IS the FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT (in caps, as it should be) of the USA.

That's no mean achievement though, and it reflects quite well on Americans as a whole--and not just the black minority--that we could get someone decent like him in the White House to begin with. (Esp. since the last 2 Dem candidates sucked so badly).

So anyway, yeah, McCain was wrong: the pride should be with Americans generally (and esp. the white majority), that we  FINALLY elected someone on the basis of their qualifications to be president, and not some other miscellaneous shit like fear of terrorism or skin-color.

"Depending on your perspective you are an optimist or a pessimist[,] and a hopeless one too." --trhurler

you underestimate the stupidity of the (2.66 / 6) (#24)
by balsamic vinigga on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 01:19:19 PM EST

American people. Obama won because he was taller.

the popular vote has ALWAYS gone to the taller candidate for as long as the people have seen the candidates on the tube.

yes bush was shorter, but remember gore got the popular vote.

this is why a chink would never win.. well maybe yao ming has a shot.

Kucinich is fucked then (none / 1) (#37)
by nostalgiphile on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 06:55:39 PM EST

but what about Kerry vs. Bush?...John 'the lurch' Kerry shoulda won by this logic.

oh sorry i failed to mention (3.00 / 2) (#38)
by balsamic vinigga on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 06:57:30 PM EST

that it's only true in elections that don't have an incumbent. Incumbents of course have a natural advantage that trumps height.

So true (none / 0) (#39)
by yuo on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 07:34:00 PM EST

That's where the phrase "leg up" came from.

I wish I had thought of pants pants pants pants pants pants pants pants.

Short ... check. Hot younger wife ... check. $ (none / 0) (#53)
by VileTimes on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 03:05:53 AM EST

it seems particularly prevalent in European media (3.00 / 2) (#5)
by Delirium on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 06:45:00 AM EST

When I was reading Greek newspapers, from the way they ubiquitously prefixed it to his name you might've thought "black candidate" was Obama's first name.

though the pride part isn't too hard to understand (3.00 / 4) (#6)
by Delirium on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 06:48:12 AM EST

On a different part of your article, I don't think it's particularly hard to understand why a black American would be at the very least pleased to see a black person become president. To some it's a sign that there really has been racial progress—despite officially everyone being able to vote and being equal now and so on, a large number of black people (and quite a few whites) didn't honestly believe that it was actually possible for a black person to become president. A good way to show otherwise is for one to actually do so.

And you've seen this before in lots of other cases. A lot of Catholics were happy to see John F. Kennedy become the first Catholic president, even though he explicitly distanced his Catholicism from having anything at all to do with his candidacy. Spiro Agnew had a lot of support in the Greek-American community. etc.

IAWTP and also (3.00 / 3) (#31)
by livus on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 05:19:28 PM EST

the simple fact that people like to see representations of people who resemble themselves doing well in some way. It's just human nature.

The US has made a kind of fetish of its presidents. MR PRESIDENT is seen as being like royalty or a film star. Who wouldn't get a kick out of having a president who seems to be like yourself in some way.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

Agree (none / 0) (#62)
by daani on Sat Nov 08, 2008 at 10:43:01 AM EST

Witness the phenomenal popularity of Sarah Palin. Nobody could possibly suggest that this was for any other reason than, "Well uh, she's uh, just like us. Yep. She understands us ordinary Americans".

Did you see the poll about race? (1.50 / 6) (#9)
by GhostOfTiber on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 07:13:40 AM EST

I'll try to dig it out for you, but when asked if "race was a factor" in voting "for obama", 80% answered 'yes'. Apparently niggers can be racist too.

[Nimey's] wife's ass is my cocksheath. - undermyne

OMG white trailer trash aren't unique...[] (none / 0) (#56)
by mirleid on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 06:06:46 AM EST

Chickens don't give milk
see? you're not so lonely anymore. (none / 0) (#61)
by lostincali on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 06:54:53 PM EST

as it turns out, there are millions of other shitheads out there.

"The least busy day [at McDonalds] is Monday, and then sales increase throughout the week, I guess as enthusiasm for life dwindles."

What's with this "hope" shit anyway (3.00 / 3) (#11)
by ksandstr on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 07:46:48 AM EST

What are they hoping for, then? That their elected president, who represents a tribal affiliation ("D" over "R") more than a set of policies let alone principles, will stick to his promises?

Basically "vote for me, and you can hope that I won't fuck you over for money and/or power". Sounds real promising to me.

(no sarcasm intended -- it sounded like the Republicans were going with "vote for me, and I'll promise to fuck you over for both money and power with religious fervour".)

Fin.

EU news in particular (2.50 / 2) (#12)
by some nerd on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 07:54:25 AM EST

is all over the OMG YOU GUYS DID YOU NOTICE HE'S BLACK angle due to the appeal of the stereotype that the US is full of closet KKK members and therefore inferior. Of course in many cases their home countries are more racist, rendering this massively hypocritical.

Home Sweet Home

Umm (none / 0) (#22)
by MotorMachineMercenary on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 12:21:48 PM EST

Holland got all excited a month or so ago when they got the first non-white Mayor (Rotterdam). That was all that papers wrote for days.

MMM, tenured K5 uberdouchebag
- Herr mirleid

'in many cases' (none / 0) (#30)
by some nerd on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 05:15:49 PM EST

France vs. teh car-burning muslims, Italy and their pogrom against gypsies, some resurgence in neo-Nazism in Germany particularly against Turks, southern Spain vs. Moroccan illegal immigrants, Oldham/Burnley/Leeds/Bradford race riots ... iirc there are significant problems in the Nordic countries too. I'm not saying that all of Europe is bad or that the US doesn't still have problems.

Home Sweet Home

My point exactly /nt (none / 0) (#33)
by MotorMachineMercenary on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 05:39:29 PM EST

MMM, tenured K5 uberdouchebag
- Herr mirleid

I think it might be in recognition of 2nd part (3.00 / 9) (#36)
by Delirium on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 06:05:19 PM EST

I don't actually get a vibe of it being due to a KKK stereotype or something, but more related to the second part of your comment—a lot of the coverage has a tone of just being fascinated by the idea that a black person could be president of a western country, because it's so unthinkable that that could happen in the near term in a place like France/Austria/Italy/Spain/Germany/Poland.

I had an interesting comment from a Greek relative of mine once about why they found Bush such a big let-down: a lot of Europeans really do at least partly believe in the inspirational American Dream view of the U.S., as this crazy experimental country where anything can happen (with the downside that it lacks Europe's Tradition and Higher Culture and has scary capitalism-run-amok). So America looking like reactionary conservatives was a bit weird—if they wanted to watch reactionary conservatives, Europe already does that better themselves, with Haider and Berlusconi and Le Pen and whatever. Now electing a black guy president, that's something you can't get in Europe, so I get a bit of a vibe of, "ah now this is the America we remember, always doing crazy shit... can you believe they actually put a black guy in charge?; could never happen here, but kind of cool to watch anyway".

If anyone... (none / 0) (#68)
by viza on Fri Nov 14, 2008 at 09:52:49 AM EST

...calls the US racist (at least as a nation) now, they are a douchebag. We just proved we aren't.

-Viz

No you didn't. You voted for a black candidate. (2.40 / 5) (#13)
by Hiphopopotamus on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 08:24:50 AM EST

Even though he's only half black and not the flavour of black that Americans don't like very much, that being American Blacks. In this race that made all the difference and you know it or you're a bit slow.
_________________

I'm In LOVE!

The first real black president will be flashing (none / 1) (#17)
by yuo on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 09:56:28 AM EST

hand signs for his political party. Probably "D" for democrat. The first latino president will also be flashing hand signs for his political party, but I can't decide if it will be for the bloods or the crips.

I wish I had thought of pants pants pants pants pants pants pants pants.

Obviously you have never seen COLORS (1.50 / 2) (#28)
by livus on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 04:41:52 PM EST

bollds and crips will always be dominated by WHITE COPS INCLUDING ROBERT DUVALL

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

jesus god what happened there (1.50 / 2) (#29)
by livus on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 04:42:48 PM EST

bollds -> Bloods. Hmm.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

OK, I get it, you're not racist. (3.00 / 6) (#15)
by The Atomic Kung Fu Panda Bandit Inquisition on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 09:16:41 AM EST

Have a cookie. In a few weeks everyone will get bored of congratulating you for electing a black guy, and you'll be able to stop the "aw, shucks" stuff. Don't sprain anything in the meantime.

Technically ... (3.00 / 5) (#20)
by Peahippo on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 12:15:21 PM EST

... Obama is the first MULATTO President. He is not Black. He is not White. He is MULATTO.

in the modern era (2.25 / 4) (#35)
by Delirium on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 05:52:42 PM EST

we usually called that "mixed-race" or "biracial"

mixture side-effect (none / 1) (#44)
by mirko on Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 03:15:49 PM EST

if you mix a blackman  with a white house, he might obviously clear up while the house will darken...
Finally I managed to make the decision that I would work on it. - MDC
we had to huddle together - trane
Thanks, buddy. (3.00 / 6) (#21)
by Barack Obama on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 12:15:58 PM EST

I hope I turn out to be the change you believe in!

Together, starting today, let us finish the work that needs to be done, and usher in a new birth of freedom on this Earth. - me
You must know this but... (3.00 / 3) (#32)
by localman on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 05:20:50 PM EST

Have you ever wondered whether it was possible for a white person to become president in your lifetime?  I think a lot of black people wondered if it was possible for a black person to become president in their lifetime.

It's symbolic, and it affects how people feel about equality and justice in this country.  Is it overstated?  Yeah, sure.  But it is historic and it proved that America is less racially bigoted than many thought.

But I do take your point -- the fact that he is black is one of the least important things about him.  Some people voted primarily for that, but I think most balanced it out and voted because they liked the whole package.  If it was just about being black, Alan Keyes would have done well too.

XD XD XDDDDDDDDDdddddd (none / 0) (#40)
by balsamic vinigga on Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 01:54:55 AM EST

This is hilarious yuo! great article!

┏━━┓┏━━┓┏━━ 491;┏★━┓
┗☆┓┃┃☆┓┃┃☆┓ 475;┃┏┓┃ Copy & Paste
┏━┛┃┃┃┃┃┃┃┃ 475;┃┗┛☆ If you're glad
┃┏☆┛┃┃┃┃┃┃☆ 475;┃┏┓┃ Obama won!
┃┗━┓┃┗★┃┃┗┛ 475;┃★┛┃
★━━┛┗━━┛┗━━ 499;┗━━┛

do you have a color version (3.00 / 2) (#47)
by Delirium on Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 06:18:55 PM EST

where the stars are RED

+1 FP, will contribute to the death of K5 (none / 0) (#41)
by Mylakovich on Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 06:15:05 AM EST

Good-old Natillee Holloway action.

Obvious answer: (none / 1) (#42)
by Pentashagon on Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 01:37:12 PM EST

The same reason the Colonies were happy that they finally had their own president from the colonies instead of a British king.  Black people have generally had to fight for equal rights and only slowly get them via mostly white politicians.  It's an obvious win for them to have a black president who actually understands their issues.  Why should white people be angry?  Probably because they don't understand that increasing the fortunes of a minority will barely impact the rich majority, and benefit most white people too.  Honestly; if black people benefit it will be because of universal health care, lower taxes, or some other social aid that won't be limited to black people.  It's just that a black president is probably more likely to do things to help poor people, of which black people make up a larger proportion.  So all the poor white trash should actually be happy, while the super-rich might notice a slight decrease in their checking account.  One fewer yacht per CEO, or something...

There's also the major psychological benefit.  Until a black person actually achieves the same level of power/accomplishment as a white person, there will always be the phrenologists and eugenicists who say there's some non-social reason that black people don't succeed as often as white people.

What's rather surprising is that apparently the U.S. beat the European nations (or at least most of them, I haven't checked exhaustively) to have the first black leader.

Possible explanation (none / 0) (#57)
by Lauwenmark on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 06:31:08 AM EST

This is probably simply because no European country got such an important black population as the US.
Garden Dwarves are your friends, trust them.

possibly, but I doubt it (none / 1) (#60)
by Delirium on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 11:27:29 AM EST

Do you really think that if the German population of ethnic Turks increased to be about as large as the U.S. black population (~13%), the Germans would then elect an ethnic-Turkish president?

In fact I can't think of a single European leader from the 20th century or later who comes from any ethnic group other than white European Christian. Going back further, the only one I can come up with is Benjamin Disraeli (UK prime minister in the 1860s/1870s; Jew who converted to Christianity as a youth).

but how came you just did? (none / 0) (#43)
by United Fools on Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 01:41:13 PM EST

We must have missed something. But then we have missed a lot of things, so fool us.

We are united, we are fools, and we are America!
Indeed, (3.00 / 5) (#45)
by tweet on Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 04:34:00 PM EST

you, like many other Americans, voted for who they thought was the best candidate and, as it turns out, he is black. They may not have voted for him for that single, superficial reason, but Obama is most certainly African-American.

He is the only, the first, unique among the set of presidents - he is black. No doubt about it. Even Obama admits he is black. Let us reflect on that for moment...

_______________________________________________
Not everything in black and white makes sense.

Oh my (none / 0) (#71)
by skim123 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 12:05:45 AM EST

The real question is, Does Obama's mother admit that she is white?

Think about it.

PT Barnum

this article lacks an understanding of racism (3.00 / 5) (#51)
by SwingGeek on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 01:43:13 AM EST

Saying that your are "color blind" pretends to nobility but rings false. Everyone is aware of race. Recognizing the role of race in society is the only way to truly do justice to it. Pretending that you don't see it is usually a way to pretend that racism no longer exists and thus to avoid any responsibility for dealing with it.

When you say that Ann Nixon Cooper was "never even a slave", and then contrast her experiences of living through Jim Crow as equivalent to those of an equally old white woman, you are simply delusional. If someone robbed you, do you think your experience would be equivalent to the criminal's, because you both "lived through the same experience"?

Black people in this country have had to deal with shit that most white people hardly understand. If you don't understand why Jesse Jackson was crying openly, you will not understand the significance of this event. There was a time when blacks were treated as barely human by many whites, and honestly, it wasn't that long ago.

There is still racism in this country. People will, in fact, not vote for you because of your skin color. The fact that Obama got elected shows that he was popular enough to overcome that extra hurdle (although this may be somewhat offset by white-liberal guilt).

Obama's election signals that there is no more "glass ceiling" in politics (at least for black people--as mentioned, gays and atheists may still be excluded for now).

The paragraph about the future is not well integrated into the rest of the article. But in response: yes, of course I want someone who is thinking about the future! The short sightedness of our current leaders has greatly contributed to environmental destruction, not to mention corruption, and the deterioration of our infrastructure.

can you imagine if you said all that to my face? (none / 1) (#52)
by yuo on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 02:47:59 AM EST

the contents of this article are not to be taken seriously.

I wish I had thought of pants pants pants pants pants pants pants pants.

two different parts of your comment (none / 1) (#59)
by Delirium on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 11:20:54 AM EST

Your comments seems to be focusing on two issues: 1) African-Americans as a historically rooted cultural group; and 2) current discrimination based on skin color. Obama actually only really falls squarely into the 2nd one—with a heritage of half-white, half-African-immigrant, his family certainly never lived through Jim Crow or slavery.

I don't know if that matters (3.00 / 3) (#63)
by curien on Sun Nov 09, 2008 at 10:46:21 AM EST

The issue isn't what Obama personally (or his family historically) experienced, but about the expreience of the (families of) the people celebrating his victory.

If the American Black community had rejected Obama as a member because of his differences from mainstream Black culture and heritage, things would be different. But they didn't, and they aren't.

Murder your babies. -- R Mutt

There's One Born Every Minute (none / 0) (#54)
by VileTimes on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 03:19:44 AM EST

You voted for him because he's a "Christian" just like you, isn't that right, dupe? Boy, are you in for a surprise.

Keep mewling about your "black" this or that, victim. You obviously have no idea what just occurred.

Doubtful. (3.00 / 2) (#65)
by yuo on Mon Nov 10, 2008 at 03:39:25 AM EST

Obama's a smart guy, so he's most likely agnostic, whereas I am a Druid.

I wish I had thought of pants pants pants pants pants pants pants pants.

Translation to spanish (none / 1) (#58)
by Buenaventura Durruti on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 08:31:05 AM EST

I've found this article interesting enough for traslating it to spanish and publish it here:

Nunca votaría a un negro para presidente

JFTR

thanks! somehow that makes me feel happy. $ (none / 0) (#64)
by yuo on Mon Nov 10, 2008 at 03:34:36 AM EST

I wish I had thought of pants pants pants pants pants pants pants pants.

But he didn't ACT black! (none / 1) (#66)
by Cro Magnon on Mon Nov 10, 2008 at 10:28:35 AM EST

One thing that helped Obama is that he didn't try to cater specifically to the blacks. Instead he addressed issues that ALL Americans, black AND white, are concerned about. Therefore, he won, while the likes of Jesse Jackson or Howard Sharpton would have never gotten to first base.
Information wants to be beer.
Well, this has annoyed me as well (none / 1) (#67)
by QuantumFoam on Tue Nov 11, 2008 at 03:13:06 AM EST

Yeah, he's black. It shouldn't matter. But even as a Democrat-hating mostly-white honky, I understand that it does to some people and, honestly, I say let them enjoy it. Though I was rooting for McCain and think Obama plans to implement disastrous policies, he won the election fair and square and even did so with far more class than is required. The will of the people must be obeyed, even if they are greedy, covetous people.

They'll make a big deal of it for a while, and then the usual Washington bullshit will set in. I don't think it'll get mentioned excessively except for the various anniversaries. If I was the praying type, I'd pray that he had a safe and prosperous presidency. Hopefully, the next black president won't be a big deal at all.

I don't think the US would have ever elected Jesse Jackson or any of the other people that exploit racial tension for personal gain; it was going to have to be someone like Obama: a guy that succeeded and rose from a more humble beginning. A guy that doesn't come off as angry.

And I'm just going to again plug Colin Powell's endorsement as the most sensible thing I heard during the election. He basically said, "I'm not endorsing him because he's black, I'm endorsing him because he's the superior choice." When asked about the Muslim thing he said that he wasn't and, "And what if he is? Muslims are Americans. Muslims pay taxes and contribute to society just like you and me. Perceived bias like this is fucking us abroad." This is how race, politics, and religion should be handled.

- Barack Obama: Because it will work this time. Honest!

O'Bama also white (none / 0) (#69)
by Jizzbug on Wed Nov 26, 2008 at 02:54:13 PM EST

Um, no, because Barack O'Bama is also white, so you DO have a white president.  Being white isn't only about the color of your skin.  Or is it?

Barack O'Bama is White Anglo-Saxon Royalty

The above link only discusses O'Bama's Duval ancestry (by which he is related to Cheney).  O'Bama is also white royalty through his Hinckley and Smith lineages (by which he is related to Bush).

ITT ignorant hicks don't know what it means to be "white"!

This isn't to say that Barack O'Bama isn't also black royalty, for, indeed, he does possess the Y chromosome of black African chieftains.

I say unto you: one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. I say unto you: you still have chaos in yourselves.
 -- Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra: A Book for All and None

OK (none / 0) (#70)
by akma on Fri Dec 05, 2008 at 05:28:29 PM EST

Time for Jessie and Sharpton to quit crying over discrimination so much, begging for government handouts, and extorting money from corporations. Time for them to tell the black community to look at what you can do if you study hard instead of playin gangsta. They demonized the black guy that did the study saying black children don't study as much as whites..... maybe instead of doing that they should encourage them to study seeing as how they now have a fair role model.

__
Those in the world shouting "Yankee go home" should bear in mind that the people of the South have been saying the same thing for over 100 years now, but the damned bastards won't leave.