freezing hardware

By hurstdog in Site News
Mon Oct 22, 2001 at 04:42:53 PM EST
Tags: Hardware (all tags)
Hardware

Well it happened again. Our glorious 19.5 day uptime was stopped by bubba freezing. And, just like every time it crashes, the sessions table got hosed. You would have noticed this by it being back up, but logging you out constantly. So I repaired the sessions table and all is well again. See you again next time there is routing trouble or a quick freeze. This has been another K5 News Brief(tm).

o Also by hurstdog

freezing hardware | 17 comments (17 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Aw (4.75 / 4) (#1)
by jayfoo2 on Mon Oct 22, 2001 at 05:01:20 PM EST

If it makes you feel better I was staying in a hotel this weekend and I turned on the TV to see a blue screen of death. The system running the hotels tv network had bonked.

Also last week I was riding in an elevator in an office building. It had one of those new screens in it. It had what looked like a *nix error dump to me. I was wondering if the elevator was running on the same system.

*hug* (4.50 / 4) (#2)
by duxup on Mon Oct 22, 2001 at 07:03:04 PM EST

Yeah. (4.66 / 3) (#4)
by kwsNI on Mon Oct 22, 2001 at 11:07:39 PM EST

When was the last time anyone gave Bubba a big hug. I'm sure Bubba has feelings too. Maybe Bubba freezing is just a cry for attention.

kwsNI
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. -Jack Handy
Freezing Hardware (4.00 / 1) (#3)
by malikcoates on Mon Oct 22, 2001 at 10:05:43 PM EST

I guess I've been reading too much www.tech-report.com and arstechnica.com.

I thought this was going to be an article about supercooling a PC

Maybe that's what Bubba needs (4.00 / 1) (#9)
by fluffy grue on Tue Oct 23, 2001 at 02:13:25 PM EST

It's a pretty big system... it could be heat failure. Maybe the people at vhosting have it cramped in a little room with no ventilation, snug up against a whole bunch of other rackmount things, with the fans covered by heavy bundles of Ethernet cables.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Hrm (4.00 / 9) (#5)
by DJBongHit on Mon Oct 22, 2001 at 11:56:39 PM EST

So when are you gonna put a real OS on that damn thing? :)

~DJBongHit

GNU GPL: Free as in herpes.

Agreed! (2.00 / 2) (#14)
by operandi on Thu Oct 25, 2001 at 06:36:44 AM EST

Agreed!

What's the root cause? (4.50 / 2) (#6)
by tzanger on Tue Oct 23, 2001 at 09:06:45 AM EST

C'mon guys, this is something that should be relatively easy to lock down.

What make/model/rev motherboard? RAM, CPU and peripheral I/O (network, video, etc.)? Have you done any research to see if the mobo is marginal? I have a rev1.1 BP6 which had too-small a capacitor installed for CPU power supply filtering. Replacing it made the board rock-solid stable. Is everything seated (and reseated) properly? Do you have marginal RAM?

How about the power supply? Did you try swapping it out with a high-quality unit? Are you trying to run a dual t-bird system off a $25 "250" Watt power supply?

I've run Linux systems for six years now and the only time I've had system freezes / spontaneous reboots was when I was either running marginal hardware, was running an experimental kernel, or was using hardware that was marginally supported by the kernel.

(oh yeah, and once last week where I swapoff -a'd a busy system with 128M RAM and 256M swap in a mysterious brainfart. Go figure, Linux doesn't like it when you take 2/3 of it's memory away. <g>)

This isn't rocket science, guys. It's standard troubleshooting. Find the problem and then buy/beg/borrow/steal equipment to fix it.

for specs, check an earlier story, (5.00 / 1) (#7)
by stfrn on Tue Oct 23, 2001 at 10:45:52 AM EST

Notice the previous site story, Hardware and Oct 3rd,where they talk about the mb, ram, ps, etc.
As for the root of the problem? I'm guessing gremlins. Or bubba just needs a hug, as duxup suggested.

"Man, I'm going to bed. I can't even insult people properly tonight." - Imperfect
What would you recomend to someone who doesn't like SPAM?
Nice sig (none / 0) (#8)
by fluffy grue on Tue Oct 23, 2001 at 02:08:14 PM EST

I knew that'd happen. :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Previous story (none / 0) (#13)
by tzanger on Wed Oct 24, 2001 at 03:04:08 PM EST

They obviously have not dug deep enough to find the problem if it is still occurring. That's why I brought it up again. (Yes I did read the previous story)

I do see the humour in the statement but at the same time, I'm kind of an ass when it comes to this kind of thing... find the problem and eliminate it, instead of anthropomorphizing the hardware.

"buy/beg/borrow/steal " (5.00 / 2) (#10)
by el_guapo on Tue Oct 23, 2001 at 07:45:53 PM EST

it's a ploliant 8500, and it WAS "buy/beg/borrow/steal"ed. i think that is the problem. a huge piece of hardware for the money, but they seem to be getting their money's worth :-( (it was donated, if you still don't know) 8 2MB cache xeons, 2GB ram, 18(?) GB of RAID 5 storage.
mas cerveza, por favor mirrors, manifestos, etc.
Compaq (none / 0) (#17)
by bgalehouse on Sun Nov 11, 2001 at 02:51:43 AM EST

I've never been impressed with Compaq stuff, especially from a reliability standpoint. They seem to have lots of redundancy and hot-swap components - and need them. They seem to rely on odd drivers for odd hardware.

This isn't to say that beggers should be choosers. But, if Compaq really wanted to let this be a good public demonstration of what their hardware is capable of, they should have donated a support contract also.

Arg.. (none / 0) (#11)
by Inoshiro on Wed Oct 24, 2001 at 01:17:23 AM EST

Can they track temperatures at all? I think it'd be cool if we designed a watchdog card which could do this (among other things). Too bad I know nothing about electronics beyond the basics :)

[ イノシロ ]
Too much info (none / 0) (#12)
by wiredog on Wed Oct 24, 2001 at 08:11:44 AM EST

to select which is best. There are all sorts of temperature watchdog cards. Or you can build your own (good if you want to write your own device drivers). For the latter check out Computer Boards, Omega or Phoenix Contact. For the former check out the overclockers sites.

If there's a choice between performance and ease of use, Linux will go for performance every time. -- Jerry Pournelle
Yes they can (none / 0) (#15)
by duxup on Thu Oct 25, 2001 at 11:35:42 PM EST

Or at least some equipment can. My current employer's newer equipment tracks the temperature inside their equipment. It comes in handy more often than I had anticipated.

monitoring this stuff would be easy (none / 0) (#16)
by Net_Fish on Sun Oct 28, 2001 at 08:49:31 PM EST

as i mentioned earlier all you need to do is load the correct compaq kernel modules you would be able to monitor all of the system stats and stuff.

but as i mentioned this would mean switching to a "supported" os, which would mean mister Ino-"Not so flexable"-shiro here would have to back down off his slackware platform :P

but in reality you could probably load the kernel modules using insmod (?) into any linux distribution without too much of a problem, just make sure your using the same kernel version that the redhat release comes with, things should be pettymuch cool

afterall linux is just the kernel isnt it :P

freezing hardware | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)