New: Ratings Undo, RDF Feeds, Custom Boxes

By rusty in Site News
Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 02:45:41 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Last night, I updated Scoop to the latest version, in order to add my new "undo all ratings by a user" feature. In the process, though, we've finally got a bunch of other cool stuff that's been waiting in the wings till it was perfected. So you can now import headline feeds (and submit new sources for them!), and turn off some of the boxes on the main page, if you want to. Read on for all the gory details.

Undo Ratings: This one's an administrator-only feature, but I wanted to explain what, exactly, it is. In response to the recent spate of people with too much free time "modstorming" other people with too much free time, I decided the easiest solution was to simply add a feature that lets admins undo all of a particular user's past comment ratings, if they start abusing the system. One click, and it erases all of that user's ratings, disables future rating from their account, and recalculates ratings and mojo for all comments and other users affected. Essentially, it's a complete "rollback".

Obviously, I don't want to do this, so it'll be rare. It's only for use in cases where it's demonstrably obvious that someone went through someone else's whole comment history and rated everything all at once. So, in the future, if this seems to be the case, and it bothers you, drop an email to help@kuro5hin.org, and we'll investigate.

Also, there's still some leftover script-ratings from earlier this week that will be cleaned up today or tomorrow. Management thanks you for your kind patience. :-)

Now on to the fun stuff...

RDF Headlines:

Yes! You can now import headline feeds from other sites, and display them on your front page. To enable this, go to your display preferences (if you have an account). Look down a bit, where it says "External Feeds". Just check the ones you want to enable, save, and they'll appear right away on your home page.

Also note that we need you to submit new feeds! Just enter the URL of the RDF file itself in the box, and submit it. We check them to make sure they work, and whatnot, and then enable them for everyone. So if there's a site you want to see in your headlines, send it on in. The URL you give us must be a valid RDF/RSS file. Custom text-based or non-standard backend files won't work. Most sites have an RDF these days though.

Box Configuration:

Also on your display preferences page you'll note a "Boxes" list. This lets you turn on or off certain side boxes. Checked means enabled, unchecked means disabled, simple as that. So if there's something you don't want to see anymore, just turn it off.

One final teeny note. I added the "Site News" section to the main menu up on top, at the far right next to the big logo. This is because otherwise, if you turn off "Section Stories", there's no other link to that section. Just wanted you to be aware that it's there.

There's more cool stuff in Scoop that I haven't enabled yet, but likely will soon (hint: spellcheck!), so keep an eye out. :-)

o Scoop
o Kuro5hin
o help@kuro5 hin.org
o your display preferences
o submit new feeds
o Also by rusty

New: Ratings Undo, RDF Feeds, Custom Boxes | 108 comments (108 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Spellchecking... (3.27 / 11) (#1)
by chipuni on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 04:07:14 PM EST

Will our spellchecking be based on the proper and correct Queen's English, spoken and taught internationally, and recognized as true English, or... will it be based on American?
Perfection is not reached when nothing more can be added, but only when nothing more can be taken away.
Wisdom for short attention spans.
Heh (4.60 / 5) (#4)
by trhurler on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 04:34:14 PM EST

When you start talking "proper and correct" in terms of language, you have clearly lost sight of reality. Proper and correct is what people say it is, with regard to language.

Anyway, I can't speak for Rusty, as I have never mastered ventriloquism, but it seems pretty obvious that if there is only one dictionary, it will be an American one. It might make sense to push for multiple dictionaries, which would be a reasonable feature to implement(provided the dictionary data is available,) and it might also make sense to find something real to worry about, like why it is that UK citizens inevitably throng to US websites and then whine that there are USisms to be found there:) (I realize k5 has international appeal, and is in that sense not "an American website," but I'm sure the point is clear, if you can just avoid taking offense long enough to think about it.)

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

Sorry (none / 0) (#18)
by Spendocrat on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:48:29 PM EST

I'm already offended.

Yankee bastard.

Yeah (5.00 / 1) (#23)
by trhurler on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:54:15 PM EST

Probably because I didn't suggest adding French as a third dictionary. I don't really despise eastern Canada or France. I just think they're funny and cute in a certain munchkinesque way. Like small dogs, their bark is worse than their bite, and they tend to be easily scared into running away.

There, now you've got something to be offended about. :)

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

Which French? (none / 0) (#95)
by warpeightbot on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 02:34:04 PM EST

Probably because I didn't suggest adding French as a third dictionary.
And then there's which French to use... Parisian is of course the default, but what about les Quebecois, or the Belgians... <sigh>

You can kill them in the classic style
Now you par-les-vous Francais!
    -- Billy Joel

Surely.. (none / 0) (#108)
by Miniluv on Mon Dec 17, 2001 at 12:50:12 PM EST

You must realize that those aren't the ONLY three options. How about Acadian? Provencal? Moroccan?

French is almost as bad as English about dialects becoming wholly accepted new versions of the language. Though, with French variants at least people don't worry about a misplaced U, they replace the whole word.

Applied Solipsism worked for me.

European websites? (2.80 / 5) (#20)
by Delirium on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:51:17 PM EST

And, similarly, why these obviously superior Europeans never seem to actually run any websites themselves. And no, the BBC online doesn't count.

Do you speak European? (4.50 / 2) (#39)
by Eloquence on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 08:58:27 PM EST

Of course Europeans run lots of news/discussion websites, I run several ones myself (1 as webmaster and editor, 2 which will soon be moved to Scoop, 3 as editor). There are a few Slash sites, quite some PHPNuke sites, and some weblog engines and lots of "CMS" are even being developed in Europe. However, collaborative websites like K5 are more often found in the US simply because you have a much larger population speaking the same language. In Europe it's hard to build a community, because you have to either do it in English, which many people don't speak that well, or in your native language, where the largest European country, Germany, has a population of ~80M. The UK is an exception, of course, which is why you may be familiar with some of their logs. Also keep in mind that many European sites don't use their country domains but .org, .com and .net instead.

Sure, it would be nice if Europeans agreed on a single language, but that's about as likely as Unix users agreeing on a single text editor ..
Copyright law is bad: infoAnarchy · Pleasure is good: Origins of Violence
spread the word!

British English and American English (5.00 / 2) (#28)
by chipuni on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 06:12:47 PM EST

I haven't lost sight of reality!

I'm here, and reality is... waaaaaay over there. Here. Borrow my telescope, and you'll be able to see it.

I intended my post to be humourous, but when I read it later, it just makes me sound like a jerk. I'm sorry.
Wisdom for short attention spans.

WHAT? (3.00 / 2) (#58)
by Banjonardo on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 12:06:44 AM EST

what?

!!!!

Did a web-discussion participant just.....

APOLOGIZE?

!!!!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! The world's to end! Run! RUN!

:-)
I like Muffins. MOLDY muffins.

New here? (5.00 / 3) (#60)
by rusty on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 12:27:45 AM EST

Recently come from Slashdot, have you? ;-)

huh? (none / 0) (#19)
by Delirium on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:49:28 PM EST

Remind me exactly what it is that defines "proper and correct English." American and Britih English have a common root, but have evolved over 300 years or so in divergent directions. Neither modern British nor modern American English match the standard English of the 17th century.

hmm? (5.00 / 1) (#25)
by bc on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:55:42 PM EST

Surely English English is the proper English? I mean, it's English.

All other forms of the tongue are foreign, and therefore not entirely English.

I am confident Estanislao Martinez would back up my irrefutable logic here. So there.

♥, bc.

Then perhaps... (none / 0) (#30)
by Delirium on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 06:28:46 PM EST

...we should just call it "American" more often; an "English-derived Romance language," much as English itself is a "German-derived Romance language."

Hwat? (5.00 / 1) (#35)
by a humble lich on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 07:25:43 PM EST

I geliefe. se min Engliscgereorde gerihta is.

(For people who speak a bastardized Frenchy version of the language, I hope I just said "I believe that my english is correct.)

Where did you learn this? (n/t) (none / 0) (#74)
by nefertari on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 04:00:01 AM EST

By reading stuff (none / 0) (#92)
by a humble lich on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 01:39:48 PM EST

As an undergrad I was bored and downloaded a lot of Old English texts of the web (you could find them even back in the day when Yahoo was at Stanford) and tried to read them. (With a good literal modern English translation handy). It actually isn't that hard and is a lot like german. Later I've purchased myself a grammar and dictionary. I hear there are some colleges with good medieval studies programs that have OE classes but I've never been to one of them.

Evolved over 300 years? (4.00 / 1) (#78)
by codemonkey_uk on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 04:38:42 AM EST

Actually, when Webster (an American teacher) just decided one day that he could "improve" English, and in the process help America define its own identity.

Some of his ideas caught on, some did not.

So your "gradual evolution" is actually the work of one arrogant crackpot separatist bastard. :P

And much worse besides...
Thad

You can choose (5.00 / 1) (#29)
by panner on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 06:23:24 PM EST

Well, it was just going to be the American dictionary, but Net_Fish bitched and moaned and just generally threw a fit about that in #scoo ;). The only way I could get him to shut the hell up was to include an option in the display prefs to choose one of American, British, or Candian (those are the three english dictionaries I had, so I'm assuming that they'll be in other aspell installs :).

Keith Smiley
Get it right, for God's sake. Pigs can work out how to use a joystick, and people still can't do this!
Good programming (none / 0) (#75)
by TheophileEscargot on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 04:17:48 AM EST

Hey, remember those guys not too long ago who used two digits to store years in?

It's good programming practice to make your code as generic as possible. You might not think it will ever be used in a different language variant, or more than a certain time into the future; but thinking about that stuff is one of the marks of a good programmer.
----
Support the nascent Mad Open Science movement... when we talk about "hundreds of eyeballs," we really mean it. Lagged2Death

2 digit years (none / 0) (#94)
by hurstdog on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 02:17:20 PM EST

From what I've heard, that wasn't because of oversight on their part, it was because they needed every last kb of memory out of their applications. If you're storing 1024 (to make it easy) dates, and you store it 4 integers instead of 2, you end up with an extra 8KB of space taken in storage. When you don't have much to start with, thats a lot.

Good programming also includes don't store redundant things. 1024 '19's is redundant. At the time that most of that software was written, the need to not store the redundancy was larger than the need to use it 30 years down the road...

Awesome coding (none / 0) (#96)
by ucblockhead on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 02:53:30 PM EST

A truly awesome coder would have stored it as "years since 1990" or something like that, to allow two digits to be used for a full hundred years.
-----------------------
This is k5. We're all tools - duxup
depends on the app... (none / 0) (#97)
by hurstdog on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 03:31:19 PM EST

Not necessarily. What if you're storing accounting information thats been compiled since 1950? Your method would break down since all of the documents would have been filed in the future. Most of the y2k stuff I've heard about was written in the 80's too, since by the 90's, we had enough memory that we shouldn't have needed to use the 2 digit year...

If you're taking it that far ... (5.00 / 1) (#87)
by Scrymarch on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 09:13:31 AM EST

American, British, or Candian

Hey, if you're including Candian English, why not include Australian, New Zealand and South African too? At least they're real languages instead of just the pocket dialect of the Candy King.

All I had (none / 0) (#107)
by panner on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 06:17:41 PM EST

I looked in my pspell dictionary directory and saw three variants: american, british, and canadian. So I put those in. If you really want those others, find me an english pspell/aspell dictionary with those variants and I'll stick it in there :)

Keith Smiley
Well (none / 0) (#34)
by wiredog on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 07:20:15 PM EST

If you damned English would learn how to spell English words properly...

Gaol, colour, draught when all Right Thinking spellers use jail, color, and draft.

The idea of a global village is wrong, it's more like a gazillion pub bars.
Phage

It's for beer..... (5.00 / 1) (#61)
by bigbird on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 12:47:15 AM EST

The colour and flavour of an English draught beer is far superior to the color and flavor of the swill that passes for draft beer in the US. The spelling makes it easier to tell them apart.

Even when pissed, an Englishman can still spell well enough to tell the difference, saving his digestive system from the agony which would result from imbibing effluent such as Milwaukee, Coors, or Bud.

bigbird

True, true[NT] (none / 0) (#62)
by axxeman on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 12:52:50 AM EST

lec·tur·er (lkchr-r) n. Abbr. lectr: graduate unemployable outside the faculty.

Indeed (4.50 / 2) (#72)
by itsbruce on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 03:28:19 AM EST

all Right Thinking spellers use jail, color, and draft.

As do all "Right" Thinking politicians - now that segregation is illegal.

--It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that his head smells.

Misaligned humours (4.00 / 1) (#86)
by Robert Hutchinson on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 08:09:59 AM EST

Should this be categorised as a joke, or am I over-scrutinising?

Robert Hutchinson
No bomb-throwing required.

Excellent! (4.33 / 3) (#2)
by GT on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 04:11:16 PM EST

Good to see that K5 addressed that modstorm issue, so we can focus on th real issues; the discussions.

headline feed (4.00 / 2) (#3)
by alprazolam on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 04:22:44 PM EST

maximum headlines per feed does not seem to limit the number of headlines..

No, it doesn't... (none / 0) (#5)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 04:37:47 PM EST

I just noticed that too. I'm looking into it.

Fixed (5.00 / 1) (#7)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 04:50:33 PM EST

There. Now it works.

Not the real rusty
Spellcheck? (4.00 / 2) (#6)
by theboz on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 04:49:32 PM EST

How are you implementing this? At work I implemented a spellcheck in some software by cheating and using DDE to MS-Word in order to let Word's spellcheck do it all on the client's end for me. If you have a better way I'd be interesting in at least a high level overview of it.

Stuff.

How I did it (none / 0) (#9)
by quartz on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:07:30 PM EST

When I had to implement spellcheck in my webmail software, I did it using the Perl interface to the excellent Ppell library. Pretty easy stuff, too, it didn't take me more than half a day.

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke, and fuck 'em even if they can.
spell-check (none / 0) (#17)
by Delirium on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:46:54 PM EST

There's a million open-source UNIX spellcheck utilities you could rip code from, and even some Perl spellcheck libraries...

Pspell (4.66 / 3) (#21)
by panner on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:53:49 PM EST

The spellchecking is done with the perl bindings to the pspell library, which in turn can use aspell or ispell (or anything it has a module for, really). I'm expecting that rusty will use aspell on k5 when (and if) he sets it up.

Scoop splits it into words (ignoring HTML) and has Pspell check each word, then highlights the mis-spelled ones. It doesn't suggest (at least, not yet), since that's slower and harder to do.

Keith Smiley
text browser plus vim (none / 0) (#69)
by itsbruce on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 03:18:44 AM EST

I use a text browser to view k5 - and most other sites - and so am writing this post with Vim. Simple enough to pipe it through ispell/aspell.

Oh, Mr Stupid-head (none / 0) (#70)
by itsbruce on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 03:22:06 AM EST

Ignore my reply to a question you didn't ask. I haven't woken up yet:-(

Random thoughts (3.66 / 6) (#8)
by TheophileEscargot on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:00:53 PM EST

Slashdot headlines: cool.

Adequacy headlines: WTF?

Spellcheck: NO, PLEASE NO! Multiple misspellings give me a great way to identify an filter out the lazy and the stupid. I don't want to lose that!
----

Headlines (4.50 / 2) (#10)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:10:32 PM EST

We'll take just about any feed someone wants to submit. Someone wanted Adequacy. You don't have to look at all of them.

Spellcheck: Sorry to rain on your parade. But in the end, it's probably better this way. You'll still be able to catch them with "there" other mistakes, if you know what I mean. ;-)

Not the real rusty

Yes, but... (4.00 / 1) (#77)
by Yer Mom on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 04:28:33 AM EST

why an option to display kuro5hin.org headlines on the front page of kuro5hin.org?

Now that's what I call redundancy :)
Smoke crack. Worship Satan. Admin Unix.

spellcheck (5.00 / 5) (#16)
by Delirium on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:45:57 PM EST

Don't bee silly, yew can still identify there pour-quality righting jest fine.

Related Links (4.25 / 4) (#11)
by Anonymous 6522 on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:30:44 PM EST

It's the one box I really want to disable, yet I can't. Any particular reason for that?

Itsy bitsy cosmetic bug: That nifty new "new site news" link, scoop still leaves space for it after I've read the story.

There you go (5.00 / 2) (#13)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:36:47 PM EST

Should be able to disable that one now too.

Not the real rusty
Boxes Missing (none / 0) (#12)
by garth on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:34:02 PM EST

The settings for boxes doesn't seem to be sticking. I changed mine, but now it seems to have wiped them out, and everytime I try to change them, it goes back to blank...

"Reset"? (none / 0) (#15)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:42:23 PM EST

You're not hitting "Reset to Defaults" instead of "Save" are you? You want the left button...

If not, sorry. It seemed like the most obvious first thing to check. :-)

Not the real rusty

"Save Preferences" (none / 0) (#24)
by garth on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:54:15 PM EST

Nah, I am hitting the one on the left, marked "Save Preferences". The other preferences seem to be sticking, because I changed the time-zone, and it has stayed on the new value. Tried the logout-login thing, but that didn't seem to help either.

Maybe I did something to offend scoop :-)

me too (none / 0) (#31)
by Drone X on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 06:36:24 PM EST

Same problem here, except that the preferences are saved. The only problem thus is that the boxes aren't shown.

Monkey sense

Silly me (none / 0) (#81)
by Drone X on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 06:43:54 AM EST

You have to have "syndicated headlines" activated. Initially I thought this would have been the "section headlines" feauture.

Perhaps this should be named the same as the title actually in front of all the RDF feeds (i.e. external feeds)?

Oh yes, it would be nice if all Kuro5hin related boxes were on the right side and all RDF feeds on the left side :).

Monkey sense

Interface.pm (5.00 / 2) (#41)
by garth on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 10:20:10 PM EST

Had a quick look at scoop, and it seems there is a problem with the way the checkboxes are setup for the boxes preferences. There is no value put in the checkbox input field, and under mozilla (using 2001110612 build) this means that "" is passed for the parameter value when the box is either checked or unchecked. Seems to pass "on" when checked with Netscape or IE, so not sure if this is a mozilla bug or not.

Anyway, seeing as the RDF checkboxes have a value in the checkbox and work under mozilla, I have made a patch that fixes _user_box_toggles() in Interface.pm to put a value in checkbox. I submitted the patch at scoop.sf.net.

Weeeeee! My first ever patch. My parents would be so proud :-)

Wow! A patch! (5.00 / 2) (#44)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 10:41:55 PM EST

An actual patch! You didn't just complain, you debugged and submitted a fix! You sir, are my hero. I may very well make a bronze statue of you. I'm just overwhelmed with gratitude.

It's applied now. Does it work?

By the way, the above, while rather hyperbolous, is not sarcasm. I am dead serious. You rule. :-)

Not the real rusty

The Power of Boredom (5.00 / 1) (#47)
by garth on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 10:55:03 PM EST

Seems to work.

Spellchecking? (none / 0) (#14)
by WWWWolf on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:38:45 PM EST

Spellchecking? Could it do grammar as well? When I submitted an RDF, it gave an interesting message. =)

-- Weyfour WWWWolf, a lupine technomancer from the cold north...

As well as spell checking (4.22 / 9) (#22)
by spacejack on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 05:53:49 PM EST

Could you add a little Javascript paper-clip character (K1ippy?) that pops up whenever it thinks we need help? That would be swell!

Hey! It looks like you're flaming trhurler! (5.00 / 2) (#57)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 11:52:34 PM EST

Can I offer you any suggestions?

;-)

Not the real rusty

Hey hey hey (4.00 / 1) (#26)
by trhurler on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 06:08:29 PM EST

Nice stuff, man. I don't suppose I could convince you to split the section stories box into multiple parts so I can keep the diaries box and scrap the highly redundant stuff in the others, could I?

The only other thing that'd be cool is the ability to reorganize the boxes, or at least have them autofit themselves so the page isn't lopsided. That may be too much to ask, though, and I'd be quite happy if I could just get rid of all this needless information duplication in the section stories box. :)

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

leave em in the same box (none / 0) (#33)
by alprazolam on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 07:04:42 PM EST

and pick what sections you want visible? maybe its possible.

Actually... (none / 0) (#51)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 11:32:07 PM EST

It's doable. The section stories box could be a "wrapper" that calls (or doesn't call) the individual section boxes...

I'll work on it. :-)

Not the real rusty

somewhat OT (2.00 / 1) (#27)
by crayz on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 06:09:34 PM EST

Deleting Vlad's diary == not cool

as for spellcheck: OW in OS X :p

Not his (5.00 / 1) (#32)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 06:43:03 PM EST

That diary last night was not by Vlad. I removed it at his request, as it was an imposter.

ahh OK (none / 0) (#37)
by crayz on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 08:35:04 PM EST

I heard you say that in a post that it might not be. I have no problem then

To confirm (3.50 / 2) (#88)
by Scott Lockwood on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 09:49:48 AM EST

That diary was by Craig McPherson, not by me. Talk to Craig about it. He reposted it in Trolltalk if you want to read it.

"I have no respect for a man who can only spell a word one way." -- Mark Twain

Empty left column (4.66 / 3) (#36)
by mlinksva on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 08:32:26 PM EST

If I turn off the subscribe to k5 and section boxes, my left column is empty space. Would be nice to collapse/remove the left column if there's no content for it.

I like the changes, good work!
imagoodbitizen adobe unisys badcitizens

It would indeed (none / 0) (#56)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 11:50:02 PM EST

Tha is baffling me at the moment. If anyone with better html-foo than I wants to look at it and see if there's something that would allow both a normal-sized left column with boxes and a collapsed one without, I encourage you to.

Not the real rusty
HTML Problem is Here (none / 0) (#83)
by brunes69 on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 07:24:56 AM EST

Here is the problem. This code is near the top of the page, i defines the main table for the page:

<TABLE BORDER=0 WIDTH="98%" ALIGN="center" CELLPADDING=5 CELLSPACING=0> <TR> <TD VALIGN="top" WIDTH="15%"> </TD>

That space between the 15% tag and the close tag is your blank left column. You just need to have it either A) Delete that TD tag when they remove the seciton column an subscribe column, or B) Reduce its size to 0%.

---There is no Spoon---
Stuff (5.00 / 2) (#38)
by Elendale on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 08:37:48 PM EST

Love the new features, but preview appears to be not-working. As i noted in my diary, previewing a diary seems to revert to one "write stuff in" window (ie, like comments instead of stories) and just drop a whole ton of HTML (the stuff to make the break between intro and full body) into the thing. I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but it's quite annoying.
How did i post that diary then? Lets just say i'm a clever bastard.

-Elendale

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

Drugs (none / 0) (#43)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 10:32:58 PM EST

It's entirely possible you're on drugs.

I just posted a test diary and it all went swimmingly.

Do you have any kind of weird filters or proxies going? Panner had a problem earlier because he forgot he was running junkbuster, with some rather "unique" regexps...

Not the real rusty

And of course, what browser? (NT) (none / 0) (#45)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 10:44:36 PM EST

Not the real rusty
And replies (none / 0) (#52)
by Elendale on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 11:35:29 PM EST

Mozilla .9(? Somewhere in there) with Proxomitron (a junkbuster-alike with some handy features like "kill popups dead") and a kinky ass Microsoft ISA Firewall that is (as far as i'm aware) set entirely on default. That might explain it.

-Elendale

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

My guess (none / 0) (#54)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 11:47:17 PM EST

My guess is Proxomitron is mangling the HTML in there somewhere.

Not the real rusty
Note: finish replying before hitting post (none / 0) (#55)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 11:48:22 PM EST

...and the first thing you should probably try is turning it off briefly to see if that makes the problem go away. If so, then it's all yours. :-) If not, let me know.

Not the real rusty
'Ere we go, 'ere we go... (none / 0) (#99)
by Elendale on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 05:34:07 PM EST

I could have figured that out :) Lets see if it works... Oh wait, i need a link. May as well go with the old standby.

And it looks like it's my proxy that's mangling it. Let's see what happens if i exclude K5 from the proxy's block...

AAAAaaand that works as well. So it looks like unless you block "kuro5hin.org" you're fine. What a simple solution :)

-Elendale

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

Ok, I'm ignorant (3.66 / 3) (#40)
by Phage on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 09:37:53 PM EST

How do I suggest a news feed from another site like Ars Technica, or Blues News, when I have no idea what an RDF/RSS file may be ?

Wouldn't mind seeing this one either.

Thanks for the forbearance.

I don't find Heathens to be sexy, as a general rule.
Canthros

Simple. (2.00 / 1) (#46)
by quartz on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 10:48:44 PM EST

RTFM.

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke, and fuck 'em even if they can.
Sometimes, it's a pain (4.00 / 1) (#49)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 11:07:38 PM EST

Ok, from the beginning: An RDF or RSS file (Resource Description Framework or Rich Site Summary, respectively-- they're essentially the same thing) is an XML file tha a website will publish so that other sites can grab it, pull out the relevant datas, and provide little lists of headline links like ours here. For example, look at http://www.kuro5hin.org/backend.rdf. That's ours. No, you're not really supposed to be able to read it. :-)

What we need is the URL of the file that corresponds to that one on whatever site you want to import headlines from. That's kind of where you run into problems a lot. There is absolutely no standard at all for where that file might be, and there's no guarantee that the site even creates one.

If you can't find an FAQ or help section on whatever site that tells you where it is, try emailing the webmaster and asking if they provide an RSS/RDF file for syndication. They'll usually either tell you no, or give you a URL. You may also suggect that they should have an FAQ, so they don't have to keep answering that question.

We have Ars Technica now. I'll go see if I can find Blue's News and the others.

Not the real rusty

Thanks for that (2.00 / 1) (#59)
by Phage on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 12:09:16 AM EST

I have been reading the suggested manual, and whilst it told me what a RDF file was, and what it did, it did not tell me how to go about locating one in a "site of interest".

This bumpkin appreciates the help.

I don't find Heathens to be sexy, as a general rule.
Canthros

Check here (3.00 / 1) (#65)
by John Milton on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 02:25:21 AM EST

News is free contains a list of some feeds.

YANI: Reordering Boxes (4.00 / 3) (#42)
by Captain Derivative on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 10:30:38 PM EST

I'd be nice if there were a way to change the order of the boxes along the right side. As it is now the Headlines box pushes the Poll box waaaaay down the page, and I'm too lazy to scroll all the way down just to see if a new poll's up.

Hey! Why aren't you all dead yet?! Oh, that's right, it's only Tuesday. -- Zorak

Not yet (none / 0) (#53)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 11:46:22 PM EST

That one's a Not Yet. It'll happen, but it's not something I can whip up in a few minutes. :-)

Not the real rusty
Actually, I'd like alphabetical order. (5.00 / 1) (#71)
by Estanislao Martínez on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 03:25:05 AM EST

It's just more, eh, natural. Not that I have any interest in the matter.

--em

Small error (3.00 / 1) (#48)
by John Milton on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 10:57:41 PM EST

The feed previews only work after you have already selected the feed.

Er, not exactly? (none / 0) (#50)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 11:29:47 PM EST

You have to have the RDF box enabled (also in Display prefs). If you haven't chosen any feeds, it won't show up anyway. But if you actually disable it, it will never show up, including preview.

Is that the problem?

Yeah (none / 0) (#64)
by John Milton on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 02:24:37 AM EST

nt

And then he got busy! (none / 0) (#66)
by rusty on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 02:31:16 AM EST

So, John, how many of those are actually sites you read regularly? :-)

Crap! (none / 0) (#67)
by John Milton on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 02:39:19 AM EST

I didn't think you would know who was submitting them. Well, you have to admit that most of them were serious. I did restrain myself from suggesting the Britney Spears newsfeed. I was just testing what you would actually put up. :) Now that I've found them though, I think I will be reading some of them.

Ha! (none / 0) (#76)
by rusty on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 04:21:21 AM EST

I guess it's not obvious that the username is part of the submission, eh? That honestly hadn't occurred to me. :-)

Well, it's an eclectic mix, to be sure. Yes, I am going to put together a better "your news" page, and you'll likely have the option of putting a feed there, or on the main page, or both.

Not the real rusty

Britney feed! (none / 0) (#85)
by wiredog on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 08:01:13 AM EST

I've got an eeeevillll idea. Muahahahah!

If there's a choice between performance and ease of use, Linux will go for performance every time. -- Jerry Pournelle
Oh yeah (none / 0) (#68)
by John Milton on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 02:42:07 AM EST

Do you think we could have a Your News page. If you have a lot of side boxes scrolling endlessly downward, it would be more comfortable some times to have a page dedicated to them.

a news page (none / 0) (#104)
by ikarus on Sat Nov 17, 2001 at 07:00:42 PM EST

check out fyuze it does what i think you want: lots of news boxes on one page.

yes this is a shameless plug

Minimal display bug (4.00 / 2) (#63)
by vectro on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 01:51:57 AM EST

Don't know if this is a problem in Scoop itself, or merely a site design issue, but if you turn off all the boxes, there is still space on the side allocated to them.

“The problem with that definition is just that it's bullshit.” -- localroger
Is it me... (3.00 / 1) (#73)
by Anonymous 6522 on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 03:53:25 AM EST

...or is the slashdot box not updating?

AOL (5.00 / 1) (#84)
by wiredog on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 07:59:23 AM EST

I've noticed that myself.

It's not you... (5.00 / 1) (#91)
by rusty on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 10:28:24 AM EST

...but it's not us either. We refresh boxes every hour. I just checked, and their file hasn't changed. So we're updating it, but they're not, it appears. I don't know what their update schedule is on that.

oooh (3.00 / 1) (#79)
by boxed on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 05:13:18 AM EST

Someone must have read my article about turning off boxes on scoop.k5! I didn't think anyone cared. Thank you guys!

argh, I take that back! (none / 0) (#80)
by boxed on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 05:18:05 AM EST

Even if you turn off the section headlines the area they usually occupied just gets emptied out. This means that instead of using that space for displaying the information I want to see, it's a big gaping hole!

Working on it (none / 0) (#89)
by rusty on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 09:59:22 AM EST

That'll be fixed. I'm on vacation starting approximately right now, so it might not be till next week, but I am aware of the problem. Sorry about that.

Not the real rusty
Hide ratings? (4.00 / 1) (#82)
by FredBloggs on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 06:45:36 AM EST

You already hide a users Mojo (Karma!). Can i hide scores on posts? Frankly i`m completely unconcerned with how people rate my/other peoples comments - couldnt care less. And perhaps it would reduce the likelihood of people posting stuff just for the Mojo.

But.... (5.00 / 1) (#98)
by delmoi on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 03:36:14 PM EST

That would make rating posts almost *completly* useless, wouldn't it? As if comment ratings wern't useless enough as it is :P
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman
Actually... (4.50 / 2) (#102)
by theboz on Sat Nov 17, 2001 at 10:00:35 AM EST

That would make rating posts almost *completly* useless...

What do you mean, "almost?" :o)

And to answer the original question in the parent of this thread, I don't think they want to completely disable ratings in scoop for anyone, and there's probably only very few people that would want to do something like that. About all you can do is change the box on http://www.kuro5hin.org/interface/comments this page that says "Rate Comments" to say No. Of course, those that run the site would probably say that not rating comments is what causes most of the problems in the first place, but if you don't give a shit about ratings then there's not much reason to participate in it.

Stuff.

Actually (again) (none / 0) (#106)
by FredBloggs on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 01:03:13 PM EST

Maybe a killfile for people you dont agree with. Also, if you could apply the killfile to the moderation system, so that a killfiled persons rating wouldnt affect the scores as you saw them. That would be pretty cool.

Over 5000 RDF feeds are available at Syndic8 (4.25 / 4) (#90)
by jeffbarr on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 10:00:22 AM EST

Over at Syndic8 we have a searchable list of over 5000 RDF feeds. All feeds are polled, quality-checked, and measured for freshness and availability. Full statistics are available for each and every feed.

We invite Scoop owners to use Syndic8 to find feeds for your site, and to submit the URL to your feed.

This is nice but (4.50 / 2) (#93)
by /dev/trash on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 02:09:35 PM EST

Can we get a fix for those of us with '/' in our user names. Sure I can use my uid in the location box but I wanna be like everyone else and click on Your Comments.

Updated 02/20/2004
New Site

Alphabetic order of feed selections (none / 0) (#100)
by khym on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 09:12:17 PM EST

The alphabetic order in the feed selections is left-to-right first, top-to-bottom second. I don't think this works very well when you only have to columns across, but lots of rows down. It'd be better to go from A to [whatever] in the first colum, and [whatever] to Z in the second column.

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
what's a hotlist ? (none / 0) (#101)
by raahi on Sat Nov 17, 2001 at 01:16:15 AM EST

I didn't notice any difference between the effects of its two states.

hotlist (none / 0) (#103)
by Drone X on Sat Nov 17, 2001 at 05:17:54 PM EST

If you click the + icon on the upper-left of a story summary, in a story queue, it gets added to your hot list. Think of it as story bookmarks with the added feauture that you can see how many (new) comments are in it.

Monkey sense

requested comment option: disable sig display (none / 0) (#105)
by ethereal on Mon Nov 19, 2001 at 12:01:16 PM EST

Not that I don't like all y'all's interesting and insightful signatures, but they get kind of old after the fifth time I read one of your posts in an article. How about a comment option to disable sig display when viewing a page of comments so that it's possible to read just the comments by themselves?

Thanks for all the hard work rusty (wish I had more free time at work to mess around with it :)

Stand up for your right to not believe: Americans United for Separation of Church and State

New: Ratings Undo, RDF Feeds, Custom Boxes | 108 comments (108 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)