New Servers!

By rusty in Site News
Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 01:58:34 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

As I've been promising for so long, the new servers are finally up. If they continue to work properly, it should be much snappier around here from now on. I guess we'll find out today.

More info on the machines themselves below...

There are three new boxes, all running as Scoop servers, as follows:
  • Dual P3 1Ghz
  • 3 Gb RAM
  • 9 Gb SCSI
  • Slackware 8.0
  • Kernel 2.4.10-ac12
There is also another one like the above that is having some issues, but should come up in the next couple days.

So right now, we have the three machines above, plus a dual P3/700 all running Scoop, and venerable old hex (dual P3/700 as well) running the database.

When the last Scoop box is live, we'll move the oddball 700 machine back a layer, where it will mirror the database in real-time, and take over automatically if hex fails. And at that point, we will have acheived full redundancy. To interrupt service, at least two different machines will have to fail. Not that that's not possible, with our luck.

So, if you notice that things are faster today, that's why. If not, then something's probably wrong. Don't tell me though, I'm asleep. Oh, and if anything seems to be behaving oddly, post a comment below.

o Scoop
o Also by rusty

New Servers! | 47 comments (47 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I'm scared rusty. (4.27 / 11) (#1)
by duxup on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 05:00:59 AM EST

Speed kills :-(

Actually, (none / 0) (#34)
by MTremodian on Sat Jan 26, 2002 at 02:21:41 AM EST

stopping does!

HAHA...HaHa...haha...heh...nevermind.

...speed overcomes the fear of death.

Damn (4.00 / 4) (#2)
by Spendocrat on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 05:14:50 AM EST

What, no poll?

Strangeness. (4.00 / 2) (#3)
by crankie on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 06:16:54 AM EST

I don't know if it's related to the update, but strange things are happening. I posted a diary and the posting time was 4 hours earlier than the actual time. As a result, it got slotted in between existing diaries. Very strange.

Also, the comment count update seems a little flaky.

~~~
"The great thing about hardcore socialists is the silence they emit once they start earning a decent wage." - tombuck
Yeah (4.33 / 3) (#4)
by rusty on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 06:33:54 AM EST

I forgot the sync up the tims on all the machines. They're still not done up properly, with ntp, but they should be OK for now. Keep an eye on it -- it should behave normally now.

____
Not the real rusty
Yipes (5.00 / 2) (#5)
by rusty on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 07:03:43 AM EST

Ok, now they should be synced properly. Oops.

____
Not the real rusty
Dosn't seem much faster (1.33 / 3) (#6)
by Funk Soul Hacker on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 08:04:12 AM EST

--- Right about now, Da Funk Soul Hacker
doesn't seem faster to me either (none / 0) (#17)
by Delirium on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 01:10:39 PM EST

Seems about the same speed as it's been for the past week or so. Not as slow as it was 2-3 weeks ago (it's certainly usable, and pages don't time out when loading), but not any faster than it was a few days ago. It could be my end I suppose, but other sites load fast so that seems unlikely.

Might just be faster (5.00 / 1) (#7)
by locke baron on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 08:16:58 AM EST

But I can't tell over my piddlyuke 56k link :-(

Micro$oft uses Quake clannies to wage war on Iraq! - explodingheadboy
Dunno if it's faster... (3.00 / 1) (#8)
by haflinger on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 09:35:41 AM EST

K5 always seemed okay to me for speed. Of course, I usually open six different sites in six different windows and just flip between. :) But anyway, out of curiosity - what speed of HD are you using? I.E. RPM

Did people from the future send George Carlin back in time to save rusty and K5? - leviramsey

wow (none / 0) (#9)
by el_guapo on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 10:13:03 AM EST

it flies here (at work) pops up almost instantly...
mas cerveza, por favor mirrors, manifestos, etc.
Same here (5.00 / 2) (#10)
by mauftarkie on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 10:22:40 AM EST

I didn't notice the site news until this morning, but I did notice the speed difference yesterday. Whereas last weekend it was taking 60+ seconds to open up even a simple page, now it's only taking 2-5. I guess that just means I'm going to have to start reading diaries in order to continue wasting time so I can avoid work. Thanks for all your hard work, Rusty (and your crew, too).

Without you I'm one step closer to happiness without violence.
Without you I'm one step closer to innocence without consequence.

no doubt about it (none / 0) (#12)
by alprazolam on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 10:36:33 AM EST

it's much faster. Seemed faster last night but I couldn't be sure because it's always faster then since there's less traffic.

Last night (none / 0) (#20)
by rusty on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 02:37:50 PM EST

They've been live since about 5AM. It's always faster overnight. Though now, at peak time, the load on each Scoop machine is still >1. Which is really nice.

Any remaining slowness is purely the fault of Scoop. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Speed Thrills! (3.50 / 6) (#11)
by FarRua on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 10:26:15 AM EST

Definitely a very noticable drop in the time it takes to load pages. I'm on the other side of a multi-T1+ link (only good thing about surfing at work) so page serving speed usually is the bottleneck I notice most.
If I had to quantify I'd say it takes maybe 1/5th as long to load pages now as it did before the cut.
Outstanding job! Keep it up.

Thanks (4.00 / 1) (#13)
by RareHeintz on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 11:22:08 AM EST

Glad to hear it. I've been grumpy about the site's slowness, but haven't bitched about it because I figured I really ought to become a subscriber before I complained about the site lacking resources. ;)

Maybe now I'll send in that $...

OK,
- B
http://www.bradheintz.com/ - updated kind of daily

"Maybe now I'll send in that $..." (none / 0) (#19)
by terpy on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 01:37:47 PM EST

I'd like to send in money too. But there's no paypal action for me. I can mail a check, wire money, or do a credit card payment - but the check and money wiring would be a lot of work for the K5 crew. Count me in for a subscription if cc payments are setup!

K5 is faster, and I graciously thank all those involved. Also, I apologize; my boss doesn't really hate rusty, and he is probably not evil after all.

----
<joh3n> BUKKAKE: the final frontier
<joh3n> these are the stories of the starship: jizziprize

Maybe (none / 0) (#32)
by roystgnr on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 07:03:58 PM EST

The weeks of recent Kuro5hin downtime (or as I like to refer to them, the "Dark Ages") have convinced me that this place is worth a few bucks a month to me. I don't know whether I'll be subscribing (frankly I don't junkbuster the banner ads, but I don't notice them or care they're there either), but I'll at least be converting some regular cash into text ad form once CC payment is available. Any suggestions for ad contents?

I didn't realize the new servers weren't in use yet. K5 is much faster now, thanks Rusty!

Well, (none / 0) (#33)
by terpy on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 07:07:53 PM EST

I thought about the text ads too, and didn't know what advertise... Then I had the devilish and most heinous idea of buying a text ad for Slashdot. Then I sobered up.

----
<joh3n> BUKKAKE: the final frontier
<joh3n> these are the stories of the starship: jizziprize

Thanks (none / 0) (#30)
by Go5 on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 06:26:23 PM EST

Well, lacking your morals, I HAVE bitched about it while failing to subscribe (actually I tried but failed during the EFF push).

The site is definitely running much quicker, and I'm feeling much guiltier. I am happy to send money, but not via PayPal.

You've ruined my life! (4.45 / 11) (#14)
by ucblockhead on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 11:26:12 AM EST

I'm gonna get fired! How am I gonna get any work done? The only way I've survived up to now is by doing my coding while waiting for k5 pages to load.

-----------------------
This is k5. We're all tools - duxup

Possible Security Breach? (3.66 / 3) (#15)
by Bios_Hakr on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 11:49:32 AM EST

OK, not that I'm a security expert or anything, but isn't it kinda a bad thing to tell people the kernel version you are running?

From a geek standpoint, I think it is awesome to know everything about my favorite site. But from a parinoid standpoint, if there were a published vulnerability in the 2.4.10 kernel, how long would it take before a thousand kiddies started throwing shit at you trying for a r007?

I know (hope) your hosting service has some basic firewalling in place, but still, too much information to the public is probably a bad thing.

Anyway, the new boxen are sick and I look foreward to seeing my monitor buldge trying to cope with the massive influx of 1's and 0's from your site....

Not really (5.00 / 3) (#16)
by hurstdog on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 12:08:50 PM EST

Since all web connections go through a linux virtual server box running debian. The only requests that can get to the servers that rusty just mentioned are on port 80. So you'd have to find some sort of other exploit, rather than the kernel. Unless you can figure out a way to get scoop to pass apache the exploit, and apache to give that to the kernel ;) Either way, I think we should be more worried about people getting admin access on scoop, than people rooting the middle tier.

Uhm... (5.00 / 1) (#47)
by Miniluv on Tue Feb 05, 2002 at 12:17:38 PM EST

When was the last root exploit on a kernel vulnerability? Quite a while ago I seem to recall.

Granted, information sharing can be a dangerous thing, however sharing kernel version information is probably pretty harmless. I'd be more careful with Apache versions, MySQL versions and so on, however even those aren't too dangerous if you keep track of your patches.

Some things are holy, and the sauna is one of them

Neat (3.50 / 2) (#18)
by miller on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 01:22:03 PM EST

That's damn fast from here. Now I don't have to fire off multiple windows while I'm waiting for stuff to load and then getting 'Form key invalid' errors when I start writing a comment before the previous one's submitted.

It's still not the fastest site on my bookmarks list but given the traffic this place gets it's mighty impressive.

It's too bad I don't take drugs, I think it would be even better. -- Lagged2Death

No gzip? (5.00 / 1) (#21)
by rhdntd on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 03:20:39 PM EST

All that new CPU power, RAM, fat, redundant HTML, and no mod_gzip or similar perl? Must be nice to have someone else paying for the pipe.

"book chicks really seem to like anal"
  — Lady 3Jane
mod_gzip (none / 0) (#22)
by rusty on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 03:27:59 PM EST

Actually, the proxy httpds are running mod_gzip. I don't know if it's doing any good or not.

The next major project is getting "themes" iomplemented properly so we can clean up the crappy HTML.

____
Not the real rusty

Hey... (none / 0) (#23)
by Ranger Rick on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 04:17:08 PM EST

I thought you were asleep. =)

:wq!

I was (none / 0) (#24)
by rusty on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 04:42:18 PM EST

I'm awake again now. You may all complain. ;-)

____
Not the real rusty
Configured? (5.00 / 3) (#25)
by rhdntd on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 05:32:41 PM EST

Watching my Proxomitron log window, and HTTPing by hand, says it's not working. You have

mod_gzip_item_include handler ^^proxy-server$

in there? I've confirmed that I see the difference when viewing my site.

Above tip from this message
A well written page that is relevant despite not covering Scoop

P.S. After I preview HTML formatted comments, the textarea has "target=_top" on my a tags, which gives a warning (error?) on resubmission. New, old? I think this is the first HTML I've posted here.

"book chicks really seem to like anal"
  — Lady 3Jane
Previewing comments (none / 0) (#26)
by rusty on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 05:44:03 PM EST

I've heard other people say this too. I can't seem to reproduce it, ever. Let me see...

This is a link

Nope. Can you give me more info? Browser/platform, and maybe some text that always produces the problem? Also what all of the settings show when you are filling out a comment form.

____
Not the real rusty

HTML preview ... (none / 0) (#27)
by rhdntd on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 06:02:40 PM EST

Well, who knows what Proxomitron is doing to me ....

Yup, if I hit the bypass switch I'm cool. It's the "Frame Jumper-Outer" rule that explicitly puts it in. Never mind.

"book chicks really seem to like anal"
  — Lady 3Jane
Prox (none / 0) (#41)
by Mitheral on Mon Jan 28, 2002 at 02:40:59 PM EST

Well this is good to know; the bug has been driving me crazy for ages. I'll have to add K5 to my bypass list. Maybe it should be add to the FAQ

Yay! (5.00 / 1) (#28)
by rusty on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 06:04:39 PM EST

I made the proxy-server line fix, and now mod_gzip seems to be working. The logs say we're getting about 81% compression on Scoop requests. Sweet. You're my hero. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Excellent! (4.00 / 1) (#29)
by rhdntd on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 06:20:22 PM EST

174 comments ("Bush's Election Theft ..."), 145K compressed to 32K and 8.4 seconds. (Slow office network although there's a DS-3 a few routers down the hall.) My experience is that this makes a big difference no matter what speed the user's connection is.

"book chicks really seem to like anal"
  — Lady 3Jane
Yeah (5.00 / 1) (#31)
by rusty on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 06:29:07 PM EST

I'm watching our MRTG, and it's cut our bandwidth use in half instantly. That'll be nice for Voxel. Save them some money. :-)

Now if I could just get rid of this lingering Scoop lag...

____
Not the real rusty

This is great (5.00 / 2) (#35)
by NightHawk on Sat Jan 26, 2002 at 03:38:47 PM EST

I used to not even bother trying to read through long threads because performance on this site was so poor.

This new speed increase opens up K5 to a whole new level of usability. It will be interesting to follow the effect this has on the content here.

Thanks (5.00 / 3) (#36)
by mjs on Sat Jan 26, 2002 at 11:24:58 PM EST

For all your hard work and long hours these past few months. The greatly improved response is muchly appreciated.

mjs

Minor bug (3.50 / 2) (#37)
by blues is dead on Sun Jan 27, 2002 at 02:51:49 PM EST

I notice that when I rate in my diary, it just gives me back the page without anyone (apparently) being rated. When I rate again, it then works.

Just in case your life is not complete without a bug to find.

Rating bugs (none / 0) (#38)
by rusty on Sun Jan 27, 2002 at 02:59:38 PM EST

This is a longstanding rating bug that actually has to do with static cached pages.

I still really need to fix it. :-/

____
Not the real rusty

Way to go guys! (none / 0) (#39)
by sypher on Mon Jan 28, 2002 at 10:31:12 AM EST

Hi, I am a new convert to kuro5hin, and i always had a beef about how slow the site seemed to be in comparison with the 'other' site. Now, i can see a great increase in browsing speed, way to go! Got a version of scoop for windows servers yet? Cheers, and i may well get some text ads. Sy

I dreamt of it once, now I fear it dreams of me
Windows (none / 0) (#40)
by rusty on Mon Jan 28, 2002 at 01:45:43 PM EST

As far as we know, Scoop runs ok on Windows. You do have to run Apache -- it won't work on IIS. But Apache, perl, mod_perl, and mysql all run on Windows, and I think we've cleaned out all the unix-specific stuff from the code. You'll get better performance from a unix or linux machine, most likely, but it does run.

____
Not the real rusty
Speed (none / 0) (#42)
by wji on Mon Jan 28, 2002 at 11:40:26 PM EST

Kuro5hin now flies. FLIES LIKE A TOASTER ON MY 33.6 MODEM!

Sigh. Anyway, thanks for the tireless toil, rusty. You'll forge the Greater Kuro5hin Co-Prosperity Sphere yet!

In conclusion, the Powerpuff Girls are a reactionary, pseudo-feminist enterprise.

Wow! It's flying! (none / 0) (#43)
by bwillcox on Tue Jan 29, 2002 at 01:54:39 AM EST

The difference is night and day here down in Texas. I used to have to wait ages for K5 to load no matter what system I was using.

Not any more. Man, I have never ever ever seen K5 fly like it is now.

The "other site" was far faster. I just timed it. K5 is faster than the other site by 5 seconds.

Keep up the good work!

-brent-

Faster than Slashdot? (none / 0) (#44)
by rusty on Tue Jan 29, 2002 at 02:11:07 AM EST

I'm surprised. They're about the same from here, with /. coming in faster when there's a difference. mod_gzip helped a lot too, though. Overall, the cluster's working smashingly so far.

Oh, I just got stats in today for the first weekday since the switch. Or, I guess, the first one I've gotten proper stats for. 137K pages today, up from a weekday average of around 90K last week. I guess the performance problems were losing us on the order of 40-50K pages a day.

I wish this had been running when we the OSDN ads were up. ;-)

____
Not the real rusty

Not here! (none / 0) (#46)
by Purple Walrus on Mon Feb 04, 2002 at 08:11:34 PM EST

/. is still MUCH faster from here. As soon as I click a link on /., the next page starts loading. On K5 here it's about 4 seconds before the load starts.

Not that 4 seconds isn't fast, just saying...

Walrus
Good work! (none / 0) (#45)
by varelse on Thu Jan 31, 2002 at 01:59:52 AM EST

This is great. The only downside I can see is that I might post more ;)
-=-
I was the kid next doors imaginary friend.
New Servers! | 47 comments (47 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)