Database rollback

By rusty in Site News
Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 12:16:19 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Just to keep everyone up to date and hopefully unconfused, today was the big database switch day, but it didn't go so well. I shut down the site at around 5PM (Friday, Eastern) and moved the data over to the new machine. Brought it back up around 5:30. It was very slow. I fought with it for a while, then went to have dinner, hoping (as often seems to happen) that InnoDB's caching would kick in and speed it up. Unfortunately, I came back around 9PM and it was still very slow, so I took it down again to twiddle some configuration parameters. Then all hell broke loose. The sessions table got corrupted, and while I fixed that, something else went wrong and it simply won't start up properly anymore.

So, unfortunately, we're back on the old machine, and anything that happened between around 5:30 and 9:00 PM is gone. I decided it would be better to cut the losses now rather than screw with it further. Tomorrow I'll go back to an older version of mysql and set up the new machine all over again. I will also test more throughly, if possible. To anyone who posted anything during Friday evening, I'm really sorry about this. I hope the speed problems kept most of you from posting much.

o Also by rusty

Database rollback | 53 comments (53 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
That's cool... (4.83 / 12) (#1)
by scubacuda on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 12:25:05 AM EST

Rock on. We all appreciate the work you put into this site!

There are a thousand forms of subversion, but few can equal the convenience and immediacy of a cream pie. Noel Godin

Agreed... (5.00 / 2) (#8)
by k31 on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 01:29:47 AM EST

Its a kick ass site, and good of you to tell us when you encounter difficulties.

Hey, for a change I actually left the house Friday night. Thank the Kingdom of Heaven for persistant females, or my latestest ranting might have been lost to the world, (dramatic pause) forever!

Your dollar is you only Word, the wrath of it your only fear. He who has an EAR to hear....

CM and DB problems? (4.00 / 1) (#2)
by OzJuggler on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 12:48:35 AM EST

Sounds like you could improve the degree of control that you exercise over the configuration of the database server. Was it possible to build the new machine by restoring from a backup of the old machine? Coz you know the old one worked...

What's that about the session table corrupting anyway? Is that due to MySQL unreliability, or something else?

Surely you can sweet-talk Oracle into donating a copy of 9i or even 8.1.7. The Personal Editions of those have smaller memory requirements. That should prevent any further table corruption from happening. Of course if you are intent on keeping everything vendor neutral and open-source then Oracle is out of the question.
"And I will not rest until every year families gather to spend December 25th together
at Osama's homo abortion pot and commie jizzporium." - Jon Stewart's gift to Bill O'Reilly, 7 Dec 2005.

Oracle (none / 0) (#5)
by rusty on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 01:02:16 AM EST

Even if I could get a copy of Oracle, Scoop doesn't support it and I don't support it. I don't know anything about Oracle. While I'm not a pro at mysql either, at least I know something about it, and I've been running it for almost four years.

What I think happened, actually, is I hit a bug in mysql. I just don't know what bug or why. I could go through the whole sequence, but frankly, I'd rather not. Tomorrow I'll try building it by just basically copying over the setup from the old database server, rather than installing mysql from scratch. Hopefully that'll work. If not, I'll go back to an older stable version of MySQL.

____
Not the real rusty

Hm. (4.00 / 3) (#23)
by ennui on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 12:26:29 PM EST

Hm. Back when the "programmer" bit of my job title had things like "junior" and "intern" and "temporary" and "half-assed" modifying it, and George Bush version 1 was in the White House, and 640k of RAM was still a hell of a lot, and people still ran Desqview, and a gigabyte hard drive was generally considered overkill for home users, and people were convinced Macs were more user-friendly, and I was wondering if I'd get drafted to serve in Desert Storm, and my cable company only offered 79 channels, I think I got away with the "found a bug in" excuse for totally screwing stuff up/not doing something on schedule. Once. Thank God your boss puts up with that stuff, rusty, mine wouldn't.

Of course, in my case, I was able to back up the assertion with a msft kb article and reproducing it, and knew better than to just expect people to believe me if my chi was telling me it was a bug...it must be nice not to have that sort of pressure. But I have carried that experience with me: if something is due today, and it's yours to do, come hell or high water you get it done today or die trying. If you find a showstopping bug in something that's preventing you from fulfilling your obligations, when 5:00 rolls around and the whistle blows and your co-workers are jumping out the windows yelling "YABBA-DABBA-DOO!" you continue doing what you have to do to make it work, and do not leave until you can look your superiors in the eyes and said "I continued working on this until I exhausted every course of action I and my collegues could think of that could correct the problem" and await your punishment, or say "I apologize for not completing this task on time. I was unable to resolve (whatever issue) within the window due to (whatever reasons). In the future, I will try to plan more thoroughly and effiently so that if similiar issues present themselves in the future the decision tree is simpler."

In other words, if there's no wind, you warp, rather than waiting for your water and rations to run out and hoping Aeolus takes pity and gives you stronger winds tomorrow to make up for lost time.

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone." -- Al Capone

Back in the day (4.75 / 4) (#27)
by ttfkam on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 01:52:55 PM EST

when I was a junior programmer, I would work ungodly hours for the love of the code and the solving of minute problems.  As time went on and "senior" started being the prefix in my job title, the buck stopped with me and I had to get the job done.

And I would sleep briefly at work on the futon or, before there was a futon, under my desk on the barely padded carpet instead of driving the half hour home and back.  My diet was horrible and my stress level was high.  It wasn't as much fun or as rewarding as it once was.

Then I started picking my battles and started to realize that I was far less productive when exhausted and frustrated with a deadline looming.

Rusty, if I were your boss or coworker, my reaction to your actions last night would be the same as it is now (where I just make use of the great community you helped found).  Bravo!  It wasn't working, you didn't know what was wrong, and you didn't know how long it would take to fix (if even possible without extensive MySQL code patches).  So you reverted back to a known configuration, made a plan for better testing of the new configuration, and documented all of it so that everyone else would know what happened.  Sounds like perfect execution to me.  Life is far too short to be wasted on vague software glitches that interfere with a decent night's sleep.

Rusty, let me know if you're ever on the west coast.  I'd love to treat you and your wife to a free kayaking tour in Monterey Bay for a job well done.

If I'm made in God's image then God needs to lay off the corn chips and onion dip. Get some exercise, God! - Tatarigami

Kick ass (5.00 / 1) (#28)
by rusty on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 02:15:41 PM EST

And I would love to be so treated. I have no idea when I'll be out west again, but I'll be sure to announce it, and I would love to kayak Monterey Bay. Keep half an eye out. And thanks. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Kayaking Monterey Bay is fun. (none / 0) (#29)
by dram on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 02:32:37 PM EST

A bit cold for those of us from the south of the state, but fun none the less. It's especialy cool when you can get close to the sea otters.

-dram
[grant.henninger.name]

It can be chilly but... (none / 0) (#39)
by ttfkam on Sun Oct 06, 2002 at 04:24:37 PM EST

...you'd be wearing a shirt, wetsuit and windbreaker (in addition to the life vest) and it's highly unlikely that you'd be in the water.  I've only actually seen one person tip over in a kayak by accident and it was a guy who was screwing around in my kayak and took a turn way too sharp while not being familiar with the boat.  The open deck kayaks on the other hand are so stable, you can easily stand up while paddling.

As for getting close to the otters, yes you can watch them, but federal rules dictate that you keep a healthy distance.  But yeah, otters, seals, sea lions, jellyfish, kelp forests, various crabs, pelicans, guillemots, cormorants, etc.  And that's just the big stuff.

I dislike the large, open deck kayaks. (none / 0) (#43)
by dram on Mon Oct 07, 2002 at 02:29:17 AM EST

The small ones that you can roll on command are the nice ones. Sure, not as stable, but as long as you don't do anything real stupid you should be fine.

I didn't know that about the federal rules, I don't really remember how close I was when I went. It wasn't too close, I wasn't able to reach out and touch them or anything. But it was a lot closer than I had ever been before, except for at the aquarium, but that doesn't really count.

-dram
[grant.henninger.name]

Ah, the good old times. (5.00 / 2) (#30)
by Setan Merah on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 08:33:02 PM EST

When I was a little syaitan, I also spent endless hours fighting problems, long hours going around like a dog trying to bite its own tail.

The problem was that my tail was short and dogs are not Halal.

Afer a while I learned that if one stops, goes to sleep or to have a little makan, or even better, one has his own way with a nice sarong party girl, then one comes back fresh, looks at the problem with new eyes, and solves it more speedily.

Only stoopid people (beginers, small little devils) work without interruption.

In other words, rusty, well done (but for goodness sake, try things in a test system first).

Ulcer (5.00 / 1) (#32)
by QuickFox on Sun Oct 06, 2002 at 04:05:33 AM EST

...and do not leave until you can look your superiors in the eyes and said "I continued working on this until I exhausted every course of action...

You're far too ambitious.  You'll get an ulcer.  You need to learn to relax.

"Look, boss, this delay isn't my fault.  It's the janitor's fault.  The other day he accidentally pulled the plug on my computer.

"He didn't notice until yesterday."

Give a man a fish and he eats for one day. Teach him how to fish, and though he'll eat for a lifetime, he'll call you a miser for not giving him your fi

soooo (none / 0) (#52)
by /dev/trash on Thu Oct 10, 2002 at 11:26:41 PM EST

All the APIs and code you worked with 'back in the day' were bug free?  Could I have all that, as I'd love to get 23 hours of productivity out of my day.

Updated 02/20/2004
New Site
Don't bother... (none / 0) (#31)
by Farq Q. Fenderson on Sun Oct 06, 2002 at 03:28:18 AM EST

If you need Oracle, you also have enough money to pay someone to deal with it for you.

Honestly, I can't see how you manage MySQL... I have such a hard time with it, while I can download, compile, install and setup Postgres with my eyes closed. (Hell, I can make code mods with my eyes closed... I think I was one of the developers in a parallel life...)

I don't know if it would help much to swith, though. MySQL vs. Postgres seems to be Mac vs. PC. Beyond that, you would have to put some thought into optimizing Postgres while MySQL does it on its own, IIRC.

The advantage of using Postgres is that once you get it running and have your optimizations set, it will run as quickly as ever, and just about everything is extremely specific. The disadvantage is that you have to learn how it works, and you have to put some actual thought into the optimizations.

I would be happy to learn of K5 switching to Postgres, but I'd be scared at the same time. When I started to use MySQL (against my will, mostly) I suddenly realized how easy it is to make big mistakes when going between the two.

I'd imagine that Postgres is more stable than MySQL, since I've been using it for years and impeccability seems to be the key ingredient.

Just my thoughts...

farq will not be coming back

you don't need to know Oracle if you (none / 0) (#51)
by sye on Wed Oct 09, 2002 at 01:54:22 PM EST

know SQL well. I'm all for not excluding Oracle as a backend DB for scoop application. May I present Larry Ellison's view on taking risk to become nuts to you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
commentary - For a better sye@K5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ripple me ~~> ~allthingsgo: gateway to Garden of Perfect Brightess in CNY/BTC/LTC/DRK
rubbing u ~~> ~procrasti: getaway to HE'LL
Hey! at least he was in a stable relationship. - procrasti
enter K5 via Blastar.in

Please, anything but Oracle... (none / 0) (#13)
by Hobbes on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 03:10:52 AM EST

I can't even count the number of times I have wanted to grab a baseball bat and drive up to larry's place and start trashing the place after having stupid-ass problems with this or that bit of the database, even though it worked fine yesterday...

Those expensive support contracts don't even help much either. 'Could you send us an example se we can reproduce the problem here?' Well, not really, no I can't. It's not like the database is running on my desktop machine here people...

Urg. Where am i...? Oh, jeeze, sorry about that. I sometimes react badly when I come into direct contact with Oracle. :P

Trust me, you don't want to deal with oracle. You will still have strange, cryptic problems, but you won't have any way of dealing with them now, because you don't have the option to go in and poke around. (or get some kind soul who cares enough to do it for you)

Growr.

++++++
As bad as I am, I'm proud of the fact that I'm worse than I seem.

That'll teach you (3.85 / 7) (#3)
by tzanger on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 12:48:37 AM EST

For not going with Postgres from the get-go.

(may as well start a db war right off the bat, no? :-)

PostgreSQL? (3.00 / 1) (#15)
by jfpoole on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 04:19:26 AM EST

Shurely SQL Anywhere would be an even better choice! Not that I'm biased or anything *cough*.

Postgres vs SQL Anywhere (none / 0) (#24)
by tzanger on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 12:30:15 PM EST

Actually I was trying to push an ACID-compliant open source RDBMS. I've never used SQL Anywhere but I can tell you that I'm sick to death of proprietary systems. Anything I try and push is open source, or at the very least, open protocols (which SQL Anywhere does fall in to).

Oh yeah, and don't call me Shurely[sic]!

Re: Postgres vs SQL Anywhere (none / 0) (#37)
by jfpoole on Sun Oct 06, 2002 at 02:19:00 PM EST

You not being biased and all, could you provide a quick rap sheet of Postgres vs SQL Anywhere? Is it technically superior or is the just that SQL Anywhere has commercial support behind it? I'm honestly curious. I've not got a lot of experience with Postgres, so I'm not sure what features it has that SQL Anywhere doesn't and vice versa. Also I'm not sure how SQL Anywhere performs compared to Postgres (although I have heard that Postgres is pokey). SQL Anywhere does have interesting features like stored procedure debugging, Java in the database (write stored procedures in Java), synchronization between occasionally-connected databases, and is supported on a wide variety of platforms (from PalmOS to big Sun boxes). Of course, when you're developing DB applications, though, sometimes support is the only extra feature you need :)

Re: Postgres vs SQL Anywhere (none / 0) (#38)
by jfpoole on Sun Oct 06, 2002 at 02:21:24 PM EST

(That'll learn me not to preview)

I've not got a lot of experience with Postgres, so I'm not sure what features it has that SQL Anywhere doesn't and vice versa.  Also I'm not sure how SQL Anywhere performs compared to Postgres (although I have heard that Postgres is pokey).

Postgres Support (none / 0) (#42)
by geoffeg on Sun Oct 06, 2002 at 11:02:00 PM EST

I would like to mention that PostgreSQL does have "commercial" support available. Check out www.pgsql.com.

I love postgres and try to encourage its use whenever I can.

Admit it! (4.66 / 12) (#4)
by Stick on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 12:57:52 AM EST

You spilt your monocle polish on it.

Stick, thine posts bring light to mine eyes, tingles to my loins. Yea, each moment I sit, my monitor before me, waiting, yearning, needing your prose to make the moment complete. - Joh3n
Ooops (4.00 / 2) (#6)
by twh270 on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 01:17:50 AM EST

You took a production server down to twiddle some configuration parameters, without making a backup of the data first.... Don't you know that's one of the best ways to ensure data loss? :-)

-Thomas

Um (5.00 / 2) (#7)
by rusty on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 01:22:13 AM EST

I do now. :-)

I had a backup, though. We're on it. It was just a couple hours behind. I suppose in the future I'll dump a copy before I screw with stuff.

Boy, you're in good hands here, huh? Smell the professionalism.

____
Not the real rusty

/me cackles (5.00 / 2) (#11)
by pwhysall on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 02:40:10 AM EST

I believe we've had this conversation before, Mr Foster.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown
Is *that* what that was? (5.00 / 1) (#21)
by /dev/trash on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 12:14:28 PM EST

Damn it wafted clear over here too.

Updated 02/20/2004
New Site
Reminds me of my sig (5.00 / 1) (#22)
by chrisbolt on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 12:16:45 PM EST

<panner> When making backups, take a lesson from rusty: it doesn't matter if you make them, only that you _think_ you made them.
To quote one "Rusty Foster" (5.00 / 1) (#46)
by wiredog on Mon Oct 07, 2002 at 08:33:18 AM EST

After an earlier "oopsie".

There's nothing like alpha testing on the live server.

Earth first! We can strip mine the rest later.

Online test (4.00 / 3) (#9)
by Bios_Hakr on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 01:48:43 AM EST

Rusty,

Instead of spending your time testing the new database, why not just put it up on test.kuro5hin.org.  Put a copy of the main database on the test machine, and let us thrash it.  You can just sit back and watch the logs to see how it performs...

Yeah, sorta (5.00 / 3) (#10)
by rusty on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 01:56:53 AM EST

That requires some tedious extra Scoop setup though. I was thinking about getting it ready, and then having a big "screw up K5" festival tomorrow, where I bring up the test DB on this site, with a giant banner that informs everyone that everything you do will be erased in an hour, so go nuts. If it holds up, I'd just roll back to the pre-test snapshot and go from there.

Fun, and informative. Can't beat that. And like you had anything better to do on a Saturday. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Actually, I do (5.00 / 1) (#12)
by j harper on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 02:42:40 AM EST

...have something better to do with my Saturday. In fact--wait a sec, fuck. No, I don't have anything better to do. Okay, sign me up. =)

"I have to say, the virgin Mary is pretty fucking hot." - Myriad

The Return Of Bubba! (none / 0) (#47)
by wiredog on Mon Oct 07, 2002 at 08:38:00 AM EST

Hope it's still up. Some of us do have lives outside of k5.

My friend Vic moved on Saturday and we helped him out.

Earth first! We can strip mine the rest later.

A Different Approach (4.45 / 11) (#14)
by xs euriah on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 03:17:47 AM EST

PostgreSQL.

fewer problems? (4.50 / 2) (#25)
by Ubiq on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 12:48:08 PM EST

I'm a big fan of PostgreSQL, mainly for its ACID features. I basically use it for all of my database needs. But I don't see why PostgreSQL, like any other database product, couldn't be a pain in the arse at times. Is there something in the design of PostgreSQL that I'm unaware of that somehow preempts annoying stability problems?

Software is software, and all software acts up at times. Or that's my experience.

fewer postgres problems (none / 0) (#50)
by Skippysaurus on Mon Oct 07, 2002 at 02:43:14 PM EST

Oh, it can. Beleive me, it can. (I still like it better than MySQL though.)

Way to destroy our little world, rusty! (4.00 / 2) (#16)
by dram on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 04:21:18 AM EST

Ok, I'm just giving you a hard time. It doesn't matter to me, I was out on a date that entire time. In fact, I just got back. (A note: if you are ever in LA again, don't go to the Grove. It is FAR too expencive.)

Anyways, hope you can get it up and running. I will be around in #scoop tomorrow if you need any help with mySQL, I'm so good with the program that I'm having a hard time getting it running in RedHat. Ain't I cool?

Anyways, no worrys about this, rusty, its good to know that soon, something will make the site faster so I can start to participate again. See you around.

-dram
[grant.henninger.name]

Good effort (4.50 / 4) (#17)
by imrdkl on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 08:05:29 AM EST

You've got to take some risks once in awhile. I suppose the appeal of the new mysql will have to wait, but it was worth a shot.

I propose that the lost time (and contributions) be memorialized with a haiku contest, as per SOP.

I really appreciate the effort (4.42 / 7) (#18)
by terpy on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 08:05:31 AM EST

you have put into this. Despite the troubles, don't think this is an entirely thankless job, lots of us really are appreciative. Take it easy.

NO FISH SAUCE! -tzigane

Ummm.... Rusty? (4.80 / 10) (#19)
by porkchop_d_clown on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 10:29:41 AM EST

I didn't lose many comments, but I *did* lose all the #5 ratings people gave me between 5:30 and 9 PM. Could you put them back?

Once one sock is sucked, the other sock will remain forever unsucked.

Thank you (4.25 / 4) (#20)
by hans on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 10:54:17 AM EST

Thank you.  For running K5.  And for scheduling downtime when geeks should be out roaming the land.  Now that light has returned, I withdraw to the sanctity of K5.

*hug* (3.50 / 2) (#26)
by duxup on Sat Oct 05, 2002 at 01:42:53 PM EST

Slowness because of Worldcom problem? (4.00 / 3) (#33)
by Anonymous Hiro on Sun Oct 06, 2002 at 08:13:09 AM EST

Was the slowness tested remotely or locally.

There were also indirect effects (none / 0) (#49)
by tjw on Mon Oct 07, 2002 at 01:39:13 PM EST

Whenever there is widespread packet loss, you also have to consider the effects this has on the server itself.  There will most likely be a HUGE amount of network connections in a TIME_WAIT state, as connections are broken prematurely.

I spent an entire morning last week debugging why my company's POP3 server was running out of connections before I realized there was 5% packet loss on its internet connection.

Damnit! (4.50 / 10) (#34)
by ucblockhead on Sun Oct 06, 2002 at 11:16:20 AM EST

Friday night, I had this epiphany about how to solve the Isreali conflict. It was simple. It would work. It wasn't even very expensive. So I logged onto k5, and put it in a quick diary for safekeeping.

Unfortunately, by the time I got home, the details of the thing had completely slipped my mind. Imagine my horrer at finding that my diary on the subject, the only place it was stored, was completely and utterly gone.

And I still cannot remember any of it.

It is on your head...you, sir, are to blame for the continuation of the Isreali/Palestinian bloodshed. I hope you can live with yourself.
-----------------------
This is k5. We're all tools - duxup

But on the whole, they weren't unhappy (4.83 / 6) (#35)
by FoxFireX on Sun Oct 06, 2002 at 12:19:13 PM EST

Did it have anything to do with the movement of large numbers of small, green pieces of paper?

more likely (3.00 / 1) (#44)
by KaizerWill on Mon Oct 07, 2002 at 03:46:22 AM EST

it had to do with the fact that they were wearing digital watches

You were there for that...
you think that's something...? (none / 0) (#45)
by erlando on Mon Oct 07, 2002 at 07:24:49 AM EST

I had the one solution to everything.. World peace, hunger, free energy, free love.. I put it down on paper, put the paper in my pocket and washed it.. Imagine my horror when I found that kuro5hin had be.... wait a minute.. Did I dream this..?

And no one would have to get nailed to anything-nt (5.00 / 1) (#48)
by unDees on Mon Oct 07, 2002 at 11:16:30 AM EST

Your account balance is $0.02; to continue receiving our quality opinions, please remit payment as soon as possible.
Nervous (3.00 / 2) (#36)
by Nickus on Sun Oct 06, 2002 at 02:00:12 PM EST

It is never nice to make big changes to production systems. Two weeks ago we had a massive filesystem migration where we changed the underlying filesystem for 2.5TB of user data in on weekend. It worked out well in the end but even though we had planned a lot in advance I was still nervous when we issued the first mkfs command.

Due to budget cuts, light at end of tunnel will be out. --Unknown
The pressures of fame (3.00 / 1) (#40)
by miller on Sun Oct 06, 2002 at 05:11:38 PM EST

While some people don't realise the stress of being recognised everywhere they go when they dream of being famous, at least they can be thankful that there aren't more spods than you thought existed depending on the servers you set up once in your spare time when you dreamed of seeing what would happen.

It's too bad I don't take drugs, I think it would be even better. -- Lagged2Death
[OT] I'd like to see some access statistics... (3.00 / 2) (#41)
by Lazy Jones on Sun Oct 06, 2002 at 10:24:18 PM EST

... Just to put everything into perspective (for me). Seems like you're using a lot of servers...

I still think that it wouldn't be too much work to make scoop work on both MySQL and PostgreSQL (see my recent diary entry).

-lj

Statistics (none / 0) (#53)
by QuickFox on Fri Oct 11, 2002 at 06:32:19 AM EST

I don't know where to find database access statistics but here are some site usage statistics, I suppose they can give you an approximate idea.

Database rollback | 53 comments (53 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)