Premium Memberships

By rusty in Site News
Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 04:50:45 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Have you ever thought "Gee, it would be nice if there was a box that would tell me as soon as someone replied to one of my comments," or "I wish I could be notified when mrgoat posted a new diary so I wouldn't miss it..."? Do you wish K5 had built-in spellchecking for comments and stories? Well, at long last, you can have all these things and more, for the paltry sum of four bucks a month. The new premium memberships are finally here and satisfied members are already saying "People! Rush out and buy now!"

Update [2002-6-14 18:41:5 by rusty]: Ok, I think we've got the diary watcher sorted out properly now. Sorry about that! Question: Would you like to have direct links to the specific new diaries themselves, or just keep it by user like it is now?

Gone is the old Paypal-only subscription system. You now have a choice between two levels of paid membership, at $2.00 a month for Basic and $4.00 a month for the Full Membership. The features we currently offer are:
  • Ad opt-out (Basic and Full): The only feature of the old subscription system, this lets you turn off textads.
  • Spellchecking (Basic and Full): Spellcheck your comments and story submissions. You can choose between American, Canadian, and British dictionaries. Note: spellcheck cannot currently distinguish between correct usage of "its" and "it's". You're still on your own there.
  • Diary Watcher (Full only): Add users to your watch list, and be notified when they've posted a new diary. No more losing track of your friends because France surrendering scrolled them off the diary page.
  • Comment Replies (Full only): Be notified whenever anyone posts a reply to any comment of yours. No more peering at "Your Comments" and trying to remember how many replies that comment had the last time you looked!
  • Story Watcher (Full only): Automatically watch your stories for new comments. No more adding each one manually to your hotlist.
  • Future Upgrades (Full only): With a full membership, you will automatically receive any new member features we add in the future.
  • Helping K5 (Basic and Full): Hungry cats are angry cats. Help keep the site running by feeding rusty's cats and ensuring that he keeps all of his fingers intact.
Signing up is easy. Just go to the subscription page to get started. Payment is by Paypal or Visa/Mastercard. We'll be adding more premium features, so we'd love to hear what you want. So go get a premium membership already!

o already saying
o subscripti on page
o Also by rusty

Premium Memberships | 175 comments (175 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
is there any regagnition is a suscriber (none / 0) (#1)
by nodsmasher on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 04:56:03 PM EST

like on my info page will it go love the smash becouse he's feading rusty's cat or anything ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most people don't realise just how funny cannibalism can actually be.
-Tatarigami
smash? (none / 0) (#12)
by tps12 on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:01:13 PM EST

I always thought you mashed nods, but now you say you smash nod? Interesting.

nods-masher eh? (none / 0) (#16)
by nodsmasher on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:04:45 PM EST

never though of it that way but no its nod-smasher
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most people don't realise just how funny cannibalism can actually be.
-Tatarigami
Keep subscription features private (4.50 / 2) (#41)
by Jel on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:52:00 PM EST

If subscription just enhances your personal usage of the site, then I'll happily support it.  OTOH, if it makes one group of users look better than another group, then I'll be quite disappointed.  Not that there's any rule saying you have to keep me happy, of course.

I disagree (5.00 / 1) (#128)
by enterfornone on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 02:21:10 PM EST

I'm better than Parent ]
Hey (none / 0) (#42)
by AmberEyes on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:59:42 PM EST

Don't you remember the lesson we learned with The Sneetches?

-AmberEyes

"But you [AmberEyes] have never admitted defeat your entire life, so why should you start now. It seems the only perfect human being since Jesus Christ himself is in our presence." -my Uncle Dean
birds kill people ?<n/t> (none / 0) (#77)
by nodsmasher on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 08:45:56 PM EST

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most people don't realise just how funny cannibalism can actually be.
-Tatarigami
where is the notification? (5.00 / 1) (#2)
by tps12 on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 04:56:16 PM EST

I can't seem to see the notification for new diaries...just looks like a list of links to diaries, that I manually have to check. Help, anyone?

BTW, everything else I've tried is great!

Diary watcher (5.00 / 1) (#8)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 04:59:37 PM EST

When you look at someone's diary, there's a link to "Watch this diary" next to the poster's nickname. Click that, and it adds it to your list. I assume you got this far.

When one of those people posts a new diary, there will be a "(1 new)" next to their name in your list.

Maybe this would be clearer if it always had that element, with "0 new" when there weren't any ones you haven't seen yet.

oh okay (5.00 / 1) (#11)
by tps12 on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:00:36 PM EST

I have some watched, I guess I have just been too "quick on the draw" to see the (1 new). Thanks!

w00t for rusty! (5.00 / 1) (#3)
by terpy on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 04:57:30 PM EST

Now I can stop bitching and actually subscribe!

-- Less foolish people know that we are living in the freest times we will ever know. It is all downhill from here. -
Discounts? (4.75 / 4) (#4)
by Torgos Pizza on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 04:58:29 PM EST

What about the possibility of discounts for pre-paying a year in advance? Like buy 12 months, get one free or something similiar?

I intend to live forever, or die trying.
upgrade current subscribers? (5.00 / 1) (#6)
by pauly on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 04:58:37 PM EST

So do subscribers like me (with 344 days left, no less) get automatically upgraded to one of these new memberships?

You already have been! (none / 0) (#15)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:02:54 PM EST

Take a look around. You should have all the new stuff. Existing subscribers even got three extra months, for being so steadfast when there was no real point in subscribing at all.

If you don't seem to have any of the new stuff, that would be a problem. Let me know.

Not the real rusty

Hate to sound finicky (none / 0) (#20)
by keenan on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:09:21 PM EST

But I see my subscription only has 61 days left...  If you added 3 extra months, wouldn't it be at least 90?

Keenan

Old data (none / 0) (#64)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 07:12:52 PM EST

If you're basing that on the user box info, that's the old data. I'm going to get to that bit next. Accurate info is currently in your User Prefs page.

Rusty! (none / 0) (#33)
by LoppEar on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:35:50 PM EST

Sweet. I saw the diary watcher this morning before I noticed the sitenews, i was pleased.

I've happily been subscribed since a day or two before textads appeared, and never turned them off. :) (although maybe with the rate at which you've been going through them, I should turn them off as a favor...)

So what's the deal with the 3 free months? Can I cancel those so I can pay you some hardearned cash instead? Just a note, my days left don't show the 3 months so maybe you've already taken me for my word..

And now with your handy comment reply monitor, you'll know immediately that I wrote this reply! Sweet, I say again.

LoppEar

let's test it! (5.00 / 1) (#45)
by pauly on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:04:32 PM EST

Excellent, thanks for the consideration. OK, I see the diary watcher, but I'm gonna push the limits on this spell checker with some of my favorites:
  • tyop
  • teh
  • slashdot
  • rediculous
  • "dubya democracy"
  • "almost exactly"
5 out of 6, not bad! That last one really pisses me off lately. Any spell checker I write is getting that one hard-coded into it.

Excellent work Rusty! Now you know why I gave $$ to kuro5hin when there was "no point."

ack! (5.00 / 1) (#86)
by ODiV on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 10:32:35 PM EST

Existing subscribers even got three extra months

My subscription ended less than a week ago! :P

[ odiv.net ]
You didn't renew right away? n/t (none / 0) (#160)
by truth versus death on Tue Jun 18, 2002 at 08:22:16 AM EST

"any erection implies consent"-fae
[ Trim your Bush ]
I was going to go the way of the textad. (none / 0) (#162)
by ODiV on Tue Jun 18, 2002 at 10:13:49 AM EST

I like seeing textads, so I don't mind not being a paying member. I was going to support k5 with textads instead of membership.

I might have to try out the premium membership now though.

I was just a little miffed that I missed 3 months of it by a few days. Oh well.

[ odiv.net ]
Yikes (5.00 / 3) (#9)
by psychologist on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 04:59:40 PM EST

Finally rusty, you did it. Clever boy. Well, I didn't want to do this, but you have forced me into it - I'll go and sell my body on the roadside for the money to subscribe.

What me subscribe, wheeeeeeeee.

(yes, that is the sound that subscribing makes)

The Diary Watcher (5.00 / 2) (#10)
by Mister Proper on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 04:59:50 PM EST

Doesn't seem to work. I've added a bunch of people to it but I don't get any (1 new diaries) messages when they post a new entry. I know I've gotten this to work on scoop.kuro5hin.org but I don't remember how.

Oh, and any chance we'll get to see the hotlist, diary watcher, comment replies, etc. all at the same time? Perhaps in the left sidebar because it's so very empty :).

Tools (5.00 / 2) (#24)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:11:20 PM EST

The problem with showing them all at once is it would be kind of hard on the database. It may be possible though.

A better solution, if you use a relatively modern browser, would be to make the subscriber tools work like dynamic comments -- basically, just update that box when you select a different tool, without reloading the whole page. Now that would be way cool. We're going to add that as soon as possible.

Not the real rusty

How about a "new" indicator (none / 0) (#48)
by Mister Proper on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:17:12 PM EST

next to Hotlist, Replies, Stories and Diaries? That would be a tremendous help and I bet it could run in constant time and space.

Rusty, I'd just like to say, (4.80 / 5) (#13)
by mrgoat on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:01:32 PM EST

I love you. I'm going to subscribe pretty soon. I might subscribe twice. I'm even tempted to mail you some cat food.

"I'm having sex right now?" - Joh3n
--Top Hat--

Now that would be funny (2.66 / 3) (#126)
by Silent Chris on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 01:36:18 PM EST

"Rusty, I heard you needed to feed your cats.  Since cats can't eat electronic transactions from my credit card, I have decided to send you some cat food.  Hope they enjoy 'Fancy Feast'.

Sincerely..."

Would be nice if it worked (4.00 / 1) (#14)
by hulver on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:02:43 PM EST

I've got quite a few people in my list. In the time of last checking, and checking tonight, three of them posted a new diary, but nothing was shown on my diary list.

Webwench
Sleepyhel
Georgeha

All posted diaries that I hadn't seen. But there was no (1 new diary) next to their names.

HuSi!

Bah (4.00 / 2) (#17)
by hulver on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:05:16 PM EST

Go on, change the code while I'm posting why don't ya?

Between starting that comment, and posting it. They've now all got (0 new) next to their names.

I'm going to bed. I'll check it again tomorrow.

<petulant>I expect it to be working by then young man</petulant>

HuSi!

Hrm (5.00 / 1) (#19)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:07:55 PM EST

Ok, I'm looking into it. Sorry about that.

Not the real rusty
A question (4.83 / 6) (#18)
by Misery Loves Chachi on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:07:20 PM EST

Can we subscribe to anyone's diary, or just mrgoat's?

I can understand if you didn't want to put in all the extra work for the latter when 95% of the need is covered by the former.

This is an intelligent site for intelligent people. FOAD. - rdskutter

However, (none / 0) (#39)
by Farq Q. Fenderson on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:48:25 PM EST

95% of the work is covered by the former. Hell, the former probably requires more work, if Scoop is modularly generalised in a useful way.

farq will not be coming back
Welp, (5.00 / 3) (#21)
by Wondertoad on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:10:04 PM EST

This is more likely to make me subscribe and less likely to buy a text ad every once in a while.

I would like to ask premium subscribers to not turn off text ads, partly because I buy one from time to time and partly because it would be nice if they actually worked and the meme spreads.

I took my promo link out of my sig because I felt it was more fair to buy text ads... and made perfect sense for the community too.

All that said, I would support any model that truly helps to pay for a good site.

I kept my promise Rusty (5.00 / 2) (#22)
by cione on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:10:42 PM EST

I saidI would become a member when you gave me something other than Paypal. I am now a card carrying member of K5. Only I don't have a card to carry. No one knows who I am, wait what am I paying for again?
_________________________________________________
Chromophobia: The fear of colors
Me, too (none / 0) (#52)
by PresJPolk on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:50:01 PM EST

The minute I saw that top story, I jumped and checked my bank account, then ordered. :-)

Wheeee...  Now if only the Ads = no setting applied the Digital Hype box.

you can turn that off.. (5.00 / 2) (#65)
by infinitera on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 07:16:11 PM EST

it's in display prefs. Digital ID box can be turned off.

Thanks! (5.00 / 1) (#78)
by PresJPolk on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 08:50:50 PM EST

It's nice to have a clear white empty blank left side again, allowing my eyes to go right to the stories. :-)

A question re: diary subs (5.00 / 9) (#23)
by DesiredUsername on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:10:48 PM EST

Can I see how many people have subscribed to my diary?

Play 囲碁
here here! good idea (nt) (none / 0) (#83)
by WetherMan on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 10:21:41 PM EST

In all honesty (2.50 / 4) (#25)
by E r i c on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:11:24 PM EST

I'll wait until the bugs are gone from these new features, as they don't seem to be working right at all.

This should be a nice feature though in a couple of months...

I blame my past transgressions on Eminem's music. Reform number five is currently in progress.

Bugs (4.00 / 4) (#26)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:14:37 PM EST

This should be a nice feature though in a couple of months...

You overestimate the time it takes to work out the bugs. :-)

By all means though, this is the first day, and there are bound to be snafus. We should have everything worked out in a few hours, or a couple days at the most.

Not the real rusty

Nothing like alpha testing (1.75 / 4) (#28)
by E r i c on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:22:06 PM EST

... on a live site.

on the contrary (5.00 / 5) (#29)
by jacob on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:25:01 PM EST

there are many things like it.

"it's not rocket science" right right insofar as rocket science is boring

--Iced_Up

Yeah, it's just like... (none / 0) (#94)
by Elendale on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 01:35:59 AM EST

Trying to capture scorpions with your bare hands. Loads of fun, and relaxing too!

-Elendale

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

The subscription song (3.00 / 2) (#27)
by E r i c on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:19:08 PM EST

funny (4.00 / 2) (#30)
by VoxLobster on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:26:30 PM EST

I don't remember voting for this story in the queue... :)

VoxLobster
I was raised by a cup of coffee! -- Homsar

Whats the deal? (4.00 / 1) (#31)
by marcos on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:29:12 PM EST

I just posted a comment to this story that has now disappeared. w00t? Was that the spellcheck eating my comment because of poor spelling?

I'm sorry (2.14 / 7) (#32)
by regeya on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:29:45 PM EST

I cannot morally support a site such as kuro5hin as long as it is dependent on such non-Free software as Linux.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Yeah! (none / 0) (#38)
by wedman on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:47:10 PM EST

Whan are you going to port it to Microsoft Windows?!

~
DELETE FROM comments WHERE uid=9524;
That may be all right (none / 0) (#56)
by regeya on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:53:42 PM EST

though it would require the use of non-Free software, which is immoral and indicative of an indifferent attitude toward Freedom. At least one wouldn't have to worry about GPL violations.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Fool! (4.00 / 1) (#34)
by trhurler on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:38:38 PM EST

Ha! I have proven it!

Not really. Anyway, the diary feature is busted ass. First off, when I'm looking at someone's diary, I should be able to unwatch it, even if I'm not in the generic diary section. Second, try watching Bob Abooey's diary. It does not, as the man says, "work."

Also, comment replies needs to be configurable. I've got a screen with something like 150 comments, most of which I've seen before, and if I view them, they're still there, and that's just useless:)

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

for comments (4.50 / 2) (#35)
by jacob on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:41:18 PM EST

you have to view the article itself, not just the comment, or it won't mark the comment as read. If you're like me, you'll spend 10 minutes visiting old stories and then it'll be okay again.

"it's not rocket science" right right insofar as rocket science is boring

--Iced_Up

Stuff (5.00 / 2) (#36)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:42:59 PM EST

The diary thing isn't working right. We're working on it right this minute.

The comments thing: Right now, you need to load up the story page to wipe those off your list. I'm trying to think of a way to remove comments from your list if you load them directly from that list, but it's not easy.

When you first subscribe, you may need to just run through that list and load each story (link conveniently provided at the top of each comment list). Thereafter it should be much more manageable.

Not the real rusty

is it possible (5.00 / 3) (#37)
by jacob on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:45:17 PM EST

to have each tab in the spiffy new member features be a separate box I can enable or disable? Or would that hurt server performance too much? If it is, would it be possible just to put an indicator that there's something new over tabs I'm not currently on? Or just break the hotlist out of that tab and let me have hotlist + one of the other three? I don't like having to tab between them all the time.

"it's not rocket science" right right insofar as rocket science is boring

--Iced_Up

Answer (none / 0) (#51)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:47:12 PM EST

See here for info on that. I want to figure out some way to switch more easily too, so we'll be working on that.

Not the real rusty
comment replies (4.50 / 4) (#40)
by jjayson on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 05:51:15 PM EST

It would be nice to know not just now many replies there are to your comments, but also how many message are even lower in the thread.  I am sure this has been thought of (and I have seen it requested, too).  Would it be possible or too much difficuly/server load?

-j
You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.
I Second [nt] (none / 0) (#88)
by Happy Monkey on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 10:45:28 PM EST

___
Length 17, Width 3
Comment Replies (4.66 / 3) (#43)
by starheart on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:00:07 PM EST

Making comment replies full only seems really silly to me. Slashdot gives away that feature. Selling features of the website in general seems Stupid.

I do agree with selling lack of ads, especially text ads. I also applaud you for a flat monthly fee. Slashdot went all wrong with their per page billing method.

Look again (5.00 / 2) (#53)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:51:26 PM EST

You can always go to "Your Comments" and see what comments have replies. The new feature watches for new replies that you haven't seen yet, and notifies you, no matter how old the comment it is a reply to might be. This is a significantly different feature from the standard system both here and on Slashdot.

Selling features of the website in general seems Stupid.

The idea is that features that will benefit greatly from the "network effect", that is, features that get better the more people use them, are free. Features that help you personally, in a private way, are paid-for.

It may be stupid, but it's not like there's any other way to make money from a site like this. Unless you've got genius ideas no one else has thought of.

Not the real rusty

no, the OP is right (none / 0) (#58)
by jacob on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:54:42 PM EST

Slashdot has a notify-of-replies feature. Check it out.

"it's not rocket science" right right insofar as rocket science is boring

--Iced_Up

Ah well (5.00 / 1) (#60)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:58:03 PM EST

Right you are. Well, it's free there. If we had their ad income, it would be free here too. Till then... :-)

Not the real rusty
You know, (none / 0) (#63)
by jacob on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 07:11:53 PM EST

domain-hijacking can do wonders for your site's traffic ...

Who is Slashdot registered through again?

"it's not rocket science" right right insofar as rocket science is boring

--Iced_Up

If we had their ad income... (5.00 / 2) (#66)
by Karellen on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 07:16:43 PM EST

...a lot of the people on this site would find some other site they could join with a membership id in the low 3 digits, start referring to k5 as `that other site', and complain that it's `not as good as it used to be' when it was new, `underground', and unsullied by `the masses'.

See also: the web, usenet, email, the internet, all genres of music since (and including) punk, Kevin Smith movies and any comic book (sorry, graphic novel) character that's had a movie made about them.

:-)

Heh (5.00 / 2) (#68)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 07:20:26 PM EST

Probably. Still, we'd have their ad income, so I'd hardly give a crap. Much like they do. ;-)

Not the real rusty
Shotglasses (4.00 / 1) (#99)
by onyxruby on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 03:20:10 AM EST

I want to buy a K5 shotglass. Sell one and I will buy one. I know there are a fair amount of other people who collect these things, as I can always find them quite readily. May not be a lot, but every bit helps, right?

The moon is covered with the results of astronomical odds.

spellcheck? (1.00 / 1) (#153)
by dipierro on Mon Jun 17, 2002 at 01:53:53 AM EST

Wouldn't spellcheck fall under that category?

In capitalism, man exploits man. In socialism, it's the other way around.
Well... (none / 0) (#173)
by The Great Wakka on Sat Jun 22, 2002 at 05:43:20 PM EST

yes, it's stupid, but is it Stupid? Is it a manefestation of Stupid or merely possesing the qualities of stupid?

the goat? (5.00 / 2) (#44)
by fink on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:00:36 PM EST

But since he's all of us, this link would do the same job...

Seriously though, great news. And yes, now that I have a job and can afford the A$8.00 or so, there you go Rusty. Feed your cats. :-)

----

inevitable feature request (5.00 / 4) (#46)
by Kellnerin on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:11:42 PM EST

But I think you might like this one: Gift subscriptions. Use your cc to buy a few months of subscription for that impoverished student, or unemployed ex-dotcomer in your life! And if you can do that, maybe once the bulk ad code is in you can buy impressions for someone else to use, too (probably less of a demand for that, but why not?) You've probably thought of this already, but I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Another thing: in my sidebar under the "Renew Subscriptions" link, it says only "141 days left" which is where I was before, but in my user prefs it tells me my subscription expires in February 2003, which seems to suggest that I've had the 3 extra months added for being one of those OSDN-era subscribers. (Either that, or I can't do math.)

And the last thing, did I see the return of the "Who's Online" box earlier today? Only it was called "Other Admins", and had page-lengthening bracketed text saying what group each person is in. I'm sure you're working on it :)

--sometimes you pick your gods, sometimes the gods pick you -odin--

Gifts, whee (5.00 / 2) (#50)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:45:30 PM EST

But I think you might like this one: Gift subscriptions.

That's a good idea. Noted.

Oops. That's drawing information from the old records, and is incorrect. Will fix. I forgot that was even there. The info in User Prefs is the correct info.

Uh, not really. That was a bug in a different box, that lets Admins keep an eye on who else is an admin. We've made mistakes before and promoted people to admin by accident, and that box is there to let all of use check up on each other. That's fixed now too.

"Who's Online" may become a subscriber feature if  I can fix it to not murder our server.

Not the real rusty

i'd almost be willing (4.75 / 4) (#47)
by puxud on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:14:59 PM EST

to donate a subscription to nodsmasher, just so he can use the spellchecker

i am not mrgoat

How did old memberships convert (none / 0) (#49)
by aphrael on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:44:37 PM EST

for those of us who had really long subscription times? I'm assuming full, but I just wanted to be sure ... :)

Yes (none / 0) (#55)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:53:29 PM EST

Well, you all paid more than the current maximum price, so they all converted to Full.

Not the real rusty
ahhh, a feature request, then ... (none / 0) (#69)
by aphrael on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 07:20:37 PM EST

can i turn off the box that advertises 'get a premium membership' and still keep the normal text ads? :)

Yep (none / 0) (#70)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 07:21:07 PM EST

Gimme a bit. I'll add that.

Not the real rusty
thank you! :) (none / 0) (#71)
by aphrael on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 07:22:39 PM EST

also, a bug report: the 'renew subscription' link takes you to the old-subscription-is-dead error.

Fixed now (none / 0) (#72)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 07:28:54 PM EST

I updated the user box to work with the new system. It should be all good now.

Not the real rusty
people randomly disappearing.. (5.00 / 1) (#54)
by infinitera on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:51:57 PM EST

from Diary Watcher. It keeps shrinking and growing upon page reloads. Specifically though, it hasn't shown kestrel13's diary on there at all, even though when I go there, Unwatch shows up.

suggestion: (none / 0) (#57)
by infinitera on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:54:12 PM EST

I got a full membership, but I really think comment reply tracking should be in Basic, it's the most useful feature.. or is that why its in full? :P

Oops (none / 0) (#59)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:55:56 PM EST

I think if someone hasn't posted a diary within the last 30 days, they're not showing up. Will fix.

Okay (5.00 / 2) (#62)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 07:01:48 PM EST

I think that's fixed now.

Not the real rusty
cool, thanks (none / 0) (#73)
by infinitera on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 07:28:56 PM EST

why do all section pages have a premium membership box/link on the left, when I have a full one already?

ahh.. nm, i'm dumb (none / 0) (#79)
by infinitera on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 09:01:22 PM EST

It's part of the ads box. I like text ads. Blah!

Going to make it separate (none / 0) (#85)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 10:32:31 PM EST

I'll split that out so it can be turned off.

Not the real rusty
Not trying to rush ya.... (5.00 / 1) (#147)
by babbitt on Sun Jun 16, 2002 at 05:35:30 PM EST

When will the ad-box and the premium membership box be separated?

I would like to have text ads on, while turning off the premium membership box....as I already am a member :)

thanks Rusty

Ben Abbitt

Give a man enough rope, he'll hang himself. Teach a man to make rope, he'll hang other people.

Sorry about that (none / 0) (#148)
by rusty on Sun Jun 16, 2002 at 06:04:35 PM EST

Display Preferences, uncheck "Subscribe to K5!" in the Boxes list, and save. Sorry for the delay. :-)

Not the real rusty
Thanks Rusty! (nt) (none / 0) (#149)
by babbitt on Sun Jun 16, 2002 at 06:26:19 PM EST

Ben Abbitt

In response to your update: (5.00 / 1) (#61)
by jacob on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 06:58:31 PM EST

Having just had to hunt through codemonkey_uk's diary to find the 8 I hadn't read, I strongly support the "direct links" idea.

"it's not rocket science" right right insofar as rocket science is boring

--Iced_Up

Absolutely (none / 0) (#74)
by DesiredUsername on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 07:57:44 PM EST

That's what I *thought* it would be. In fact, I would go further--I would like my subscribed diaries to be auto-hotlisted for me. Well, maybe.

Play 囲碁
You got it (none / 0) (#75)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 08:01:14 PM EST

How's that? :-)

Not the real rusty
Which one? (none / 0) (#76)
by DesiredUsername on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 08:08:30 PM EST

The direct link? Pretty awesome! I like the way it shows me ALL the diaries I haven't read yet.

Play 囲碁
Feature request: killfile (none / 0) (#67)
by greenrd on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 07:19:00 PM EST

The opposite of a watch-list: a "don't show me this" list. Please could we have a killfile for diaries. I'd like to be able to screen out some of the trolls, lamers and trhurler. (Well, OK, maybe not trhurler, but...)

"Capitalism is the absurd belief that the worst of men, for the worst of reasons, will somehow work for the benefit of us all." -- John Maynard Keynes

If they use animal products, too (n/t) (5.00 / 1) (#92)
by leviramsey on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 12:44:16 AM EST

Very funny (none / 0) (#117)
by greenrd on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 10:56:23 AM EST

But this feature request (the serious one I mean) is neither new nor radical. Killfiles have existed in newsreaders for years, to increase S/N ratio and to filter out annoying wastes of space.

Only (none / 0) (#121)
by ucblockhead on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 11:33:44 AM EST

I would only support "killfiles" if the feature is automatically disabled for anyone who posts something like "I'm gonna killfile you!" or "I've killfiled you!" or "*plonk*" or "What'd that idiot say, I killfiled him!".

In my experience, killfiles cause more noise than the prevent, because of all the people babbling about killfileing each other.
-----------------------
This is k5. We're all tools - duxup

And dont forget (none / 0) (#136)
by coryking on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 09:06:05 PM EST

The true kooks who create new email addresses (or in this case logins) to circumvent peoples killfiles.

Killfiles (5.00 / 1) (#139)
by rusty on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 11:25:46 PM EST

That's one reason I don't like killfiles (they tend to increase noise). The other reason is they take away the brunt of community enforcement by allowing people to exempt themselves from participating in the normal public anti-noise processes.

I may consider some sort of limited killfiles, perhaps for diaries, where the general public moderation wasn't working very well anyway. But I don't think you'll ever see them site-wide, and I still think we can do better even in the diaries.

Not the real rusty

A better idea than killfiles (none / 0) (#141)
by theboz on Sun Jun 16, 2002 at 11:50:39 AM EST

I think it's a better idea anyway.

Part of the problem is that there are certain people who's comments often end up hidden, piss people off, and generally just contribute nothing here. It's annoying to hide comment after comment of theirs, and that's probably the main justification people give for killfiles. However, there is a more democratic way that could also remove some of the administrative work.

This would probably require some tightening elsewhere before this would be a good idea. I'd reccommend some changes to the trusted user system, or make a super-trusted user status or something else. Once you have a group of people that you can trust, you can give them another option rather than just the ratings that would be a vote to anonymize the account. Like I said, you'd have to have a method of verifying that these people are good more than the standard trusted users, but once that is done these people would be able to vote on anonymizing spam accounts, perhaps once enough people vote to anonymize it would even put it in an administrator queue that you could just click on yes or no to anonymizing them. It would at the very least be a more effective way of presenting problem users to the administrator, and it would give you less time to be involved since you are simply trusting what the majority of the users say.

I would see these people almost as a jury or congress or something, depending on how the status is given.

Stuff.

Be careful, My Dupe Account... (none / 0) (#119)
by ip4noman on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 11:00:35 AM EST

Just add the concept of anonymous digital cash and you become dangerously close to describing the system which put Jim Bell in prison.

Breaking Blue / Cognitive Liberty Airwaves
Correction, just to be accurate. (5.00 / 1) (#122)
by ip4noman on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 11:45:51 AM EST

Jim Bell didn't go to jail for writing Assination Politics; he went to jail for "stalking". But it's clear that whomever sentenced him, probably a judge and not a jury, sentenced him for the aggregate crime of Name Collection (stalking) *aggravated by* Speculative Authorship (Assination Politics). But he really has injured no victim (as far as I can tell), and there was no civilian complaintant.

I know one this, this so-called crime did not deserve being sent to Camp Mitnick for 10 years. foo

Breaking Blue / Cognitive Liberty Airwaves
No PayPal? (none / 0) (#80)
by iGrrrl on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 09:03:36 PM EST

I'm in for 18 months. Thank you!

You cannot have a reasonable conversation with someone who regards other people as toys to be played with. localroger
remove apostrophe for email.

feature request (none / 0) (#81)
by devon on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 09:06:26 PM EST

hot list sharing ...
by default it is not shared, when sharing is turned on, it is listed on the user info page. if this exists and i haven't found the mechanism, 1- i'm sorry and 2- how is it done? this isn't a prerequisite for me getting a full membership, i'll be doing that shortly. i just think it's a really good idea, and preferably should be available to all, not just members.

Call yourself a computer professional? Congratulations. You are responsible for the imminent collapse of civilization.
User info page (none / 0) (#84)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 10:31:46 PM EST

One of my goals is to make the user info page a lot more useful. For subscribers, I want to put up all the "tabs" in the toolbox on your user page (just for your viewing of course, maybe you could optionally make them public?). Possibly an RDF feeds area, and stuff like optional hotlist sharing would be cool too. Good idea.

Not the real rusty
CC statement (5.00 / 4) (#82)
by yankeehack on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 09:21:44 PM EST

What is the company or organization that is doing the actual billing and what will appear on the statement? (i.e. will this show up as Kuro5hin.org or some other --hopefully-- generic sounding entity?

"In other words, [R]epublicans don't amuse people. They frighten them." --DeadBaby

It's Cardservice International (5.00 / 4) (#87)
by rusty on Fri Jun 14, 2002 at 10:34:35 PM EST

The company handling the transaction is Cardservice International, but on your bill it will show up as "Hot 10 Inch Shemale Sluts". Just kidding. It shows up as "Kuro5hin.org Inc." I think. It's nothing to be ashamed about. :-)

Cash (none / 0) (#114)
by FlipFlop on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 10:01:08 AM EST

For those of us without credit cards, or those who don't trust Card Services to keep our spending private, is there any way we can just mail some cash?

AdTI - The think tank that didn't

PO Box (5.00 / 1) (#131)
by rusty on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 03:47:14 PM EST

I'm still repeatedly forgetting to go open a PO Box. And a local bank account. I'll do that soon, and put up a "mail a check" payment option.

Not the real rusty
An ellF-ish promise: (none / 0) (#156)
by ellF on Mon Jun 17, 2002 at 02:16:37 PM EST

Do this, and I'll sent you $20. :)

Hopefully? (5.00 / 6) (#120)
by ucblockhead on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 11:25:40 AM EST

Why hopefully generic? I like it specific. Too many times, this conversation has occurred at my house:

"Hon, What's this 'yoyodyne credit industries'?"
"What?"
"Hon, What's this 'yoyodyne credit industries' on the credit card bill?"
"What?"
"There's this charge for $53.45 that I don't know what it's for..."
"From who?"
"Yoyodyne credit industries"
"I don't know what you are talking about!"
"Do you remember using the credit card last tuesday?"
"When?"
"Last tuesday, the twentieth"
"I don't know...what were we doing?"
"I was at work...did you use it after work?"
"No...are you sure you didn't?"
"Well, I worked all day, and paid cash for lunch."
"Well, I don't know, then..."
"Oh, wait, I gave money to that web site..."
"Website? Are you looking at dirty pictures!?"
"No, it's a discussion site called "Kuro5hin"
"Corrosion?"
"Yeah, but it's spelled k u r o 5 h i n"
"What?"
"It's spelled k u r o 5 h i n"
That's stupid...why do you want to pay for it?"
"Well, uh, there's cool discussions and stuff"
"You have to pay to talk to your internet friends!?"
"Well, I don't have to, besids I want to advertise my plugin."
"But I thought you are giving it away for free."
"Yeah, uh, but I, uh, want people to use it."
"You're such a dork!"
-----------------------
This is k5. We're all tools - duxup

Lifetime Honors? (none / 0) (#90)
by jabber on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 12:07:44 AM EST

Do subscribers get some sort of public distinction to shame the freeloaders into getting on the ball?

Will there be a Lifetime Membership option? Say, if I send you a 60GB HD?

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

Oh, and one more (none / 0) (#91)
by jabber on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 12:10:24 AM EST

How will you be handling renewals?

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

Renewals (none / 0) (#93)
by rusty on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 01:11:28 AM EST

Renewals are through the same interface as purchases. Basically, just say what you want to do. It's very smart about adding time where appropriate and converting subscripton types where appropriate.

I doubt we'll have a public subscriber "gold star" or something. Though I'm not ruling out the possibility altogether. And a lifetime membership would be worth a lot more than one 60Gb hard drive. :-)

Not the real rusty

Renewals (5.00 / 1) (#125)
by jabber on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 01:31:17 PM EST

Is there a notification scheme? Or will I have to accept responsibility for yet another consequence of my own actions?? sigh And does the system retain 'premium' feature settings for users whose subscription may 'lapse'?

And, since we've established that a lifetime subscription CAN be bought, we're just haggling over the price. Hypothetically, what would that price be, and what assurance can I have that K5 will still be there when I die?

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

Renewals (none / 0) (#130)
by rusty on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 03:46:05 PM EST

There will be a notification system. You'll probably get an email at 1 week remaining, and when a subscription lapses. It should keep the settings on a lapsed subscription, though I haven't looked into that specifically. I don't see why it wouldn't. And a lifetime membership, I'd say, would be about $1000. You have no assurances that K5 will be here when you die, so really, lifetime subscriptions are not recommended. :-)

Not the real rusty
Cant you do it automatically? (none / 0) (#142)
by Nick Ives on Sun Jun 16, 2002 at 03:34:42 PM EST

The 2 other things that I actually pay for on the net both do automagic renewals, it would be nice if k5 would do the same. I trust k5 with any credit card information I might be using, partly because its not my CC info (I deal only in cash) and partly because I dont know how (in)secure k5 is =).

Oh, any chance of vanity user@kuro5hin addresses? I recently got myself a proper POP3 email account (thereby saving me from Hotmail hell) but would still like a vanity address, although I'm not sure how you'd handle user's with spaces in their names such as myself.

Nick
Will sub very soon now, I promise...

Renewal (none / 0) (#146)
by rusty on Sun Jun 16, 2002 at 04:58:43 PM EST

Both Paypal and the CC processor are able to do scheduled payments, but I have to figure out how both systems work. I was putting that off till I got the basics in place, but it should be there eventually. If it requires me to store your credit card details though, it probably won't happen. You may trust me, but I don't want that kind of liability risk. :-)

Oh, any chance of vanity user@kuro5hin addresses?

The problem with that is it's a whole separate thing than what we're good at doing (hosting email services instead of running a website). I'm not sure it's a business I want to get into, honestly. But I wouldn't rule it out completely. We'll see.

Not the real rusty

E-mail aliases? (none / 0) (#155)
by tekue on Mon Jun 17, 2002 at 05:51:34 AM EST

E-mail aliases are easy to manage, they don't require too much storage space, et al.
Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature. --Tom Robbins
Lifetime membership, heh (5.00 / 1) (#133)
by Mysidia on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 05:02:40 PM EST

Well.. a problem with having a lifetime membership option is that K5 is an internet site.

K5 has no way of knowing if the person who has the membership is still alive and that the person using the membership is the one who subscribed.

The cost of a 60 gig hard disk would buy you approximately a 20 year membership which is probably longer than you even use K5.

But within the next 5 years, 1000 Gb disks will be the norm, 60 Gig disks will be almost like floppies, so indeed a 60 gb disk is not worth lifetime membership to anything of value

Oh yeah: why is the spellchecking thing being dumped into the member feature's bucket? In some ways it's akin to making 'bug reporting' and 'feature requests' member things... ...Perhaps the Edit queue should be a member feature?

Seems as if spellchecking is something that would be more useful if all posters used it -- my typoing the as `teh' in a post or story won't be any inconvenience or harm to me, but it might cause confusion when other visitors go to view it.

Posters in general should be encouraged to spellcheck since typo-filled submissions hurt readability of the site in general. Most are lazy though and (can't or) won't compose in a word processor, spellcheck, then paste to K5.

-Mysidia the insane @k5+SN
Act FAST and receive extra BONUS DAYS! (5.00 / 1) (#95)
by Greyjack on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 02:34:29 AM EST

I bought 12 months worth today (June 15th), but rather than 365 days, it's telling me I have 372 days left, and (according to my user preferences screen) my subscription ends June 22nd 2003.

So, I take it that buying a month actually gives me 31 days of subscription, and thus an extra week per year overall (or 6 days for a leap year).

My confirmation email, however, said my 'scrip ends June 15th 2003.

Very minor inconsistency, mentioning it for completeness.  I'm not actually complaining that I got a smidge more than I paid for.

Here is my philosophy: Everything changes (the word "everything" has just changed as the word "change" has: it now means "no change") --Ron Padgett

Yup (5.00 / 2) (#103)
by rusty on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 04:53:45 AM EST

Our motto here is: My laziness works for you!

I had two options. I could work out the actual dates, or I could pretend all months are 31 days long and assume no one will complain about getting a little extra. Guess which one I chose? :-)

The email and the Prefs screen actually don't figure it the same way. This is probably dumb, now that I think about it. I hate programming stuff that involves dates. Dates are totally computer-hostile.

Anyway, in all discrepancies, the Prefs screen is the correct, reliable, accurate report.

Not the real rusty

Dates suck (5.00 / 1) (#127)
by BackSlash on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 01:47:27 PM EST

If you think adding Months to dates suck, try calculating when Easter is!

Easy... (4.50 / 2) (#154)
by Yer Mom on Mon Jun 17, 2002 at 05:04:38 AM EST

Take the date that Easter eggs first appear in the shops and add four months.
Smoke crack. Worship Satan. Admin Unix.
member recognition (5.00 / 1) (#96)
by thadk on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 02:41:18 AM EST

I kinda liked my kuro-blue diamond in comment header idea for premium members. Any comments on it?

Oops, (none / 0) (#97)
by thadk on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 03:00:16 AM EST

Looks like our leader has already spoken.

Just when I thought I had sufficiently scanned through the posts it gets stuck near the top. b-l-eh.(spell-check test ;)

sounds reasonable (none / 0) (#144)
by sye on Sun Jun 16, 2002 at 04:18:24 PM EST

although i haven't had time to click on those details of your idea

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
commentary - For a better sye@K5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ripple me ~~> ~allthingsgo: gateway to Garden of Perfect Brightess in CNY/BTC/LTC/DRK
rubbing u ~~> ~procrasti: getaway to HE'LL
Hey! at least he was in a stable relationship. - procrasti
enter K5 via Blastar.in

There is only one version of English! (2.66 / 3) (#98)
by Lord of Caustic Soda on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 03:10:18 AM EST

If a word is not in the Oxford dictionary, it doesn't exist.

Interesting. (4.00 / 4) (#116)
by ghjm on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 10:54:55 AM EST

If that is true, then where does the OED get new words from?

Doh! (none / 0) (#159)
by Lord of Caustic Soda on Mon Jun 17, 2002 at 10:32:33 PM EST

Damn you and your chicken and egg paradox...... soon everything will cease to exist as things start diappearing when they realise that once upon a time they ain't mentioned in the dictionary.... we're all doomed I tell you! Doomed!

Hmmm (none / 0) (#100)
by spiralx on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 03:28:24 AM EST

Woah this text box is big... too big :)

But anyway... is there a reason why when you click on "Watch this Diary" the next page never loads... it just keeps loading and loading (or appears to... the connection is still active) and never gets anywhere, although the actual entry has been added to your diary hotlist...

You're doomed, I'm doomed, we're all doomed for ice cream. - Bob Aboey

Also (none / 0) (#101)
by spiralx on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 03:33:52 AM EST

It says 98 comments in the grey bar above the comments, but my post above was #100 :)

You're doomed, I'm doomed, we're all doomed for ice cream. - Bob Aboey

Also (5.00 / 1) (#105)
by rusty on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 04:56:41 AM EST

I deleted two comments way earlier because one was a double-post and another was a reply notifying that the parent was a double post.

About your first question, I'm not sure. If you have a really long diary list, that query can get a little complex. It also perhaps depends on what you were looking at when you hit "watch". Or the phase of the moon? Tell you the truth, I'm not 100% on how any of this stuff works. Does it always hang?

Not the real rusty

Reproducible (none / 0) (#106)
by gazbo on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 05:18:00 AM EST

Even with a short list (I have no diaries in my list) if I add a diary and then remove it, it takes ~20s. And that's all server side as well, not data transfer.

-----
Topless, revealing, nude pics and vids of Zora Suleman! Upskirt and down blouse! Cleavage!
Hardcore ZORA SULEMAN pics!

Yup, always (none / 0) (#107)
by spiralx on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 05:21:36 AM EST

But it does add the diary to my list... although as gazbo says, this takes quite a long while - I'd say 30+ seconds at a guess, and sometimes more.

You're doomed, I'm doomed, we're all doomed for ice cream. - Bob Aboey

Hmmm (none / 0) (#109)
by rusty on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 05:32:39 AM EST

It definitely doesn't do that for me, and it does do some redirect tomfoolery, so that would currently be my best candidate for the problem.

Which leads us to the inevitable question: What browser/platform? Hopefully someone will have a copy we can test with.

Not the real rusty

IE 6 on Windows XP (5.00 / 1) (#110)
by spiralx on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 05:42:16 AM EST

Or to be more precise, IE 6.0.2600.0000.xpclient.010817-1148. Wow, that's a version number a piece of Linux software could be proud of :P

You're doomed, I'm doomed, we're all doomed for ice cream. - Bob Aboey

Oh, you're screwed then (none / 0) (#111)
by rusty on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 05:44:16 AM EST

Just kidding. If anyone else is using the above combo, and is subscribed, it would be keen if you'd try adding someone to your diary watch list and see if it doesn't load the next page properly. I will look at the redirection stuff when I get up tomorrow.

Not the real rusty
Same Result (none / 0) (#113)
by nospoon on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 08:09:13 AM EST

Takes longer that 30 seconds using Winxp and IE 6.0.2600.0000.xpclnt_qfe.010827-1803.

'Desire that is Friday'
The text box (none / 0) (#104)
by rusty on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 04:54:36 AM EST

Display Prefs. You can change the size of the input box now. You probably knew that already, but I bet no one else does. :-)

Not the real rusty
Well, look at it this way (5.00 / 1) (#164)
by superjohn on Tue Jun 18, 2002 at 06:29:21 PM EST

I personally am not going to use half of the features k5 offers with the premium membership that I just signed up for. Rather, I decided to donate money to k5 and get something out of it besides the warm fuzzy feeling of contributing to something good. If I ever do need to use those features in the next six months (assuming that k5 lasts that long =P ), I'll be able to.

Go whine somewhere else.

We are the dyslexic Borg! Your ass will be laminated!
-----------
reverse moc.rr.dairt to email me.

built a knowledge tree! (2.50 / 2) (#108)
by johwsun on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 05:28:41 AM EST

I think some people may pay for the implementation of some possible branches of the tree. A knowledge tree can bring money to both the owner of the tree and to the developers of the tree.

Build a knowledge tree and you wont regret. You are adding features to k5, but your features are not structured. You also dont know if your features are the desired ones.

Built a knowledge tree rusty, you want regret.

Reply watcher (none / 0) (#112)
by Simon Kinahan on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 07:13:43 AM EST

Why is the reply watcher only showing replies to comments on a couple of old stories ? A reply to one of my comments someone posted last night has not shown up yet.b

Simon

If you disagree, post, don't moderate
for speed (none / 0) (#115)
by hurstdog on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 10:46:59 AM EST

I think it only scans stories posted in the past 2 or 4 weeks for new comments. Otherwise the query to get that info is obscenely slow.

Did you consider (none / 0) (#118)
by jacob on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 10:59:29 AM EST

having a "notification" table that contains a user's id, response's CID and SID, responder's name and the comment's subject? When someone posts a reply, fill that table; when someone views a reply, remove it. Approximately constant extra time to post a reply to a comment, message notification takes the time it takes to select * from replynotifications where uid = your user id, which ought to be much less than searching all comments. I imagine there's just something wrong with this approach I don't know about, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

"it's not rocket science" right right insofar as rocket science is boring

--Iced_Up

Yes (none / 0) (#124)
by theantix on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 12:52:33 PM EST

That is how I would do it.  Just by looking at the Slash UI, I would venture that is how they do it as well.  If the impact on the db is strong enough (ie. if enough people get memberships), I'll bet that we have to implement that sooner or later.

You sir, are worse than Hitler!
Doesn't explain it (none / 0) (#123)
by Simon Kinahan on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 12:44:21 PM EST

Replies in this story are showing up find, as are replies from another story posted on June 3rd. However, replies in a story from June 14th are not appearing.

Simon

If you disagree, post, don't moderate
opposite effect (none / 0) (#132)
by infinitera on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 04:16:32 PM EST

Not seeing old replies that are marked [new].
Like this one (Found by accident).

Reply watcher (none / 0) (#129)
by enterfornone on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 02:43:51 PM EST

It would be nice if the reply watcher could list replies to stories/comments/diaries all on the one page. Or perhaps allow more than one hotlist/reply/story/diary box.

efn 26/m/syd
Will sponsor new accounts for porn.
I'd like to see the ads (none / 0) (#134)
by imrdkl on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 07:21:15 PM EST

and click 'em once in awhile too. But the upgrade box now shows, although I already subscribe. Any way to leave the ads on, but turn off "Want More"? After all, if advertisers think that no real subscribers leave ads on, it will reduce the potential for the ad.

Coming soon (none / 0) (#137)
by rusty on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 11:19:18 PM EST

Sorry about that.

Things (5.00 / 2) (#135)
by trhurler on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 08:34:11 PM EST

First, for these watchers, we need an "empty all" and an "empty all under this story/person," because otherwise, going away for a few days is going to mean 10-20 minutes of busywork. Please?:) Also, we need a way to unwatch a diary from the list itself, so that I can get rid of some entries in my list that aren't actually users(such as "la", "Electric", and "Bob".) Also, because it would be convenient in general.

Second, how does the story watcher pick stories? It seems to me to be kind of weird.

Third, see my diary for further comments on the new stuff. Overall, I'm happy.

"It just seems to me that you are willfully entering an arse-kicking contest w
Answers (5.00 / 2) (#138)
by rusty on Sat Jun 15, 2002 at 11:22:20 PM EST

Yeah, that would be handy. I'll work on it.

Also, we need a way to unwatch a diary from the list itself

Click the "minus" image next to an item to unwatch it from the list, just like how the hotlist works.

Second, how does the story watcher pick stories?

It's simply a chronological list of stories, diaries, and ad discussions you've posted from the last 30 days. I was always hotlisting my own stories to keep track of new comments, so basically it's just an auto-hotlist of your own stuff. Hotlist, of course, works like it always did.

Not the real rusty

Subscription (3.50 / 2) (#140)
by me0w on Sun Jun 16, 2002 at 09:46:15 AM EST

I DID IT FOR THE CATS!!

Good kitties! Make sure your daddy busy you lots of yummy food.!

"The only reason we PMS is because our uterus is screaming at our brain to go out, get fucked, and have a baby ... and it makes us angry."

I thought it was just me (none / 0) (#150)
by ajf on Sun Jun 16, 2002 at 07:18:00 PM EST

Cat pictures for those of you who haven't yet subscribed.

"I have no idea if it is true or not, but given what you read on the Web, it seems to be a valid concern." -jjayson
HEY! (1.83 / 6) (#143)
by fortytwo on Sun Jun 16, 2002 at 03:52:16 PM EST

Most of those are free on the other site!

Enjoy them there (4.42 / 7) (#145)
by rusty on Sun Jun 16, 2002 at 04:53:09 PM EST

You are welcome to go there and enjoy them.

Not the real rusty
go troll somewhere else (N/T) (none / 0) (#151)
by techwolf on Mon Jun 17, 2002 at 12:30:37 AM EST

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson
They are? (none / 0) (#161)
by jtdubs on Tue Jun 18, 2002 at 09:13:25 AM EST

Let's go through them then...

1) Ad opt-out:

Slashdot has new large ads in the middle of stories.  They have banner ads.  You can't turn any of them off without paying to be a member.

Kuro5hin does NOT have large ads in the middle of stories OR banner ads.  Just text-ads.  You can turn them off if you are a member.

2) Spellchecking

Hehe.  We WISH slashdot had this.  But, no, they don't.

3) Diary Watcher

Slashdot doesn't even HAVE diaries.  They have journals, which are similar.  But they don't have a notification system for it.

4) Comment Replies

Slashdot doesn't have this.  You have to go to your comments page in your account preferences to see if anyone new has replied.

5) Story Watcher

Doesn't have this either.  Sorry.

6) Future Upgrades

Well, slashdot has made no gaurantee of this, but it wouldn't surprise me.  I guess I'll let you have this one.

7) Helping K5

Slashdot definitely doesn't have this one.

So, well, you were 1 for 7, kinda.  Unless, of course, I'm wrong about some of these, which is possible.  Maybe even likely.

Regardless, have a good day,

Justin Dubs

P.S.  I just became a Basic Member for a year.  Thanks Rusty.  Kuro5hin is wonderful.

Comment (none / 0) (#163)
by Cro Magnon on Tue Jun 18, 2002 at 06:09:52 PM EST

You're wrong about the comment replies. You can have it put a message on your front page telling you that X people have replied/moderated your post. I'd probably pay to get that in K5! Hmm, now I guess I CAN! :)
Information wants to be beer.
Actually... (none / 0) (#165)
by fortytwo on Tue Jun 18, 2002 at 07:45:54 PM EST

You can get emails for replies, moderations, diaries of 'friends', etc...

Now I've done it (none / 0) (#166)
by Cro Magnon on Tue Jun 18, 2002 at 11:34:04 PM EST

I'm no longer a freeloader! I'm now a full fledged K5 member for a year!
Information wants to be beer.
Maybe a bit of incentive? (none / 0) (#152)
by Talez on Mon Jun 17, 2002 at 12:40:25 AM EST

I don't like having to pay for ad impressions in lots of 10,000 and $4 is such an unround number. Throw in 2,500 ad impressions, charge me $5 and I'm sold...

Si in Googlis non est, ergo non est
Cat-Food Ticker Tape? (none / 0) (#157)
by ellF on Mon Jun 17, 2002 at 02:29:35 PM EST

Any chance we could see how much money had been pulled in from subscriptions? It would be an interesting incentive to see that the cats had pulled in, say, $20,303 up to now - because then we could send you more money and tangibly see it helping out.

It would *almost* be like a cheesy public television fund raiser, aside from my actuallygiving a damn. :)

Just you wait (4.00 / 1) (#158)
by rusty on Mon Jun 17, 2002 at 06:54:20 PM EST

I think tomorrow will bring some news on that front. :-)

Not the real rusty
What, no American Express? (none / 0) (#167)
by weave on Thu Jun 20, 2002 at 06:11:56 AM EST

I hate to sound like a whiny bitch, but I only use American Express when using a credit card online because of its "Private Payments" feature. It's a one-time use card number. I can generate all the one timers I want on their web site. That way, if my card leaks, gets stolen, or abused, it's useless since the number I use is good for one transaction only.

Nope (none / 0) (#168)
by rusty on Thu Jun 20, 2002 at 11:10:22 AM EST

AmEx rejected us for some reason. I wasn't too unhappy -- their fees are harsh, and you are the first person to even mention it. That sounds like a cool security feature though.

Not the real rusty
Fees harsh for merchants? (none / 0) (#170)
by weave on Fri Jun 21, 2002 at 06:11:53 AM EST

If you think their fees are harsh for merchants, the annual fee on my Amex Platinum card is -- get this -- $395.

Now, for that fee I get to waltz into airline presidents' clubs for free, acela lounge at DC and NYP, free memeberships in most car rental premium clubs, and many other perks, but yeah, that fee is insane. I should drop the bitch. However, it's the only status symbol I have. I don't even own a damn car, believe it or not!

Sigh. (none / 0) (#169)
by Colol on Thu Jun 20, 2002 at 11:45:14 PM EST

I, too, had planned on using my AmEx, until I noticed K5 was only taking MasterCard and Visa.

No big loss, though, as I keep a Visa around for all the places that don't take AmEx.  Now I still haven't used my SmartCard reader or any one-time card numbers.  Sigh. ;)

MBNA does it too (none / 0) (#174)
by ehintz on Mon Jun 24, 2002 at 06:32:33 PM EST

Site is here. They check for your browser type and complain if it's not one of their supported ones (netscape IIRC) but you can bypass their check and go directly to the login screen here. Works most of the time.

Regards,
Ed Hintz
Block or ignore stories/comments by author? (none / 0) (#171)
by joegee on Fri Jun 21, 2002 at 01:03:13 PM EST

i.e., if people hate what I write, they have the option of blocking all stories and or comments by JoeGee regardless of how my comment/story might be rated/placed. For the basic subscription you could offer the option of ignoring only stories. With the full subscription you could add the ability to ignore comments.

<sig>I always learn something on K5, sometimes in spite of myself.</sig>
blocking comments.... (none / 0) (#172)
by Starwing on Sat Jun 22, 2002 at 02:37:24 AM EST

hmm... good idea... dunno if I'd pay for it tho.

--=S T A R W I N G=--
Don't just stare at me like I'm a T.V.

In other words.... (none / 0) (#175)
by spacefrog on Sat Jul 13, 2002 at 03:09:43 PM EST

The more subscribers, the higher the chances of Rusty dying of toxoplasmosis....

How about a weekly digest ? (none / 0) (#176)
by salsaman on Fri Aug 02, 2002 at 07:17:24 AM EST

How about sending out a weekly email with all the new stories ? You could allow the user to select all stories or they could limit the sections/topics they were interested in. The email could just contain the intros to the stories, and a link to where they are on K5.

How to - Alert when a user makes a new diary entry (none / 0) (#177)
by 2chance on Tue Aug 06, 2002 at 05:23:04 PM EST

How can you set your notification system to alert you when a specific user has posted a new diary entry?

I can see how to add watches on a specific entry but I would like to know how to enable a notification that will be triggered whenever a user posts a new diary story.

Thanks

Premium Memberships | 175 comments (175 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)