Flaky SCSI, Lots of people

By rusty in Site News
Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 02:58:43 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

I'm seeing a lot of demands for more Site News articles. I feel like butting in and reporting on the goings-on from my side of the screen will rapidly become annoying, but I seem to be in a minority on that, so your wish is my command.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad
I wish I had more to say. Today has obviously sucked, and there's no particular reason for it other than exceptionally heavy traffic on the site. I've been sitting here since around 6 this morning trying to tweak slow queries and periodically restarting the mod_perl servers to keep the database running after it locks itself up, but there's not much more I can do. The database is not fast enough to deal with the traffic on the site right now.

What about the new database machine? I'm told it arrived with a flaky SCSI system, which was supposed to be replaced. In theory, it is up and running right now, but I have no word from Voxel either way. It was supposed to get an OS and come up on the network last night. As soon as I can ssh in, I will set up MySQL and move the db over.

Until then, my best advice is to write your diaries in an editor and paste them in when you want to post, because I see no reason to believe performance is going to get better today.

o Also by rusty

Flaky SCSI, Lots of people | 61 comments (61 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Thanks!! (4.75 / 4) (#1)
by StackyMcRacky on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:03:59 PM EST

i think this really is what most people wanted.

I just want to be loved (5.00 / 5) (#5)
by duxup on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:11:38 PM EST

That's okay (5.00 / 2) (#8)
by pinkcress on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:15:47 PM EST

We all want love. Just live with the fact that you don't have any. You'll get over it.

damnit all these 'facts' getting in the way of my writing - turmeric
all i have to offer you (5.00 / 1) (#13)
by StackyMcRacky on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:37:45 PM EST

is a 5. will that do? i'm like the little drummer boy...

*hug* (5.00 / 1) (#15)
by duxup on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:44:35 PM EST

Do 5's count as love? [nt] (5.00 / 1) (#39)
by nstenz on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 09:19:04 PM EST

If you say they do (5.00 / 1) (#40)
by duxup on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 09:56:40 PM EST

Then they do

Face it (4.00 / 8) (#2)
by etherdeath on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:04:08 PM EST

you don't have the slightest idea what you're saying when you say :

As soon as I can ssh in, I will set up MySQL and move the db over.

Is this what all the cool kids are saying on TV now?

Well... I... (5.00 / 20) (#3)
by rusty on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:09:25 PM EST

Ok, you got me. I just ran some Slashdot pages through a randomizer and grabbed what came out. That line looked better than the other one I was considering, "I'll goatse OS X and gui an emacs in soviet russia."

I'm sure one of them means something, doesn't it?

____
Not the real rusty

IN SOVIET RUSSIA (4.94 / 17) (#10)
by mrgoat on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:21:53 PM EST

goatse emacs' an OS X gui YOU!

"I'm having sex right now?" - Joh3n
--Top Hat--

Ouch. (5.00 / 5) (#37)
by tiamat on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 07:59:11 PM EST

I sprained by brain.

If someone does not .sig this quote (5.00 / 8) (#11)
by jayhawk88 on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:26:54 PM EST

Then the terrorists have already won.

Why, then, should we grant government the Orwellian capability to listen at will and in real time to our communications across the Web? -- John Ashcroft
done (5.00 / 5) (#23)
by Deltastorm on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 05:34:51 PM EST

and done...

"I'll goatse OS X and gui an emacs in soviet russia." --rusty
My work is done here (4.75 / 8) (#28)
by rusty on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 06:04:47 PM EST

Every now and then I have to feed you guys a good .sig quote. It's part of what I do. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
No (none / 0) (#6)
by jayhawk88 on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:14:37 PM EST

This is what the cool kids are saying on TV now:

l3t m3 b0g4rt a pr0t d00d, & i c4n w1z4rd teh b0r1ng junx 0vr fr0m teh s1ck-a$$ b0x3n 2 t3h ph4t l33t 1r0n, & \/\/3 c4n 0wnz th0s n3wbs in UT2!

See the difference?

And the Win2K/IIS switch we discussed on IRC? (3.40 / 5) (#4)
by Steve Ballmer on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:10:58 PM EST

When do you plan on completing the migration to BackOffice?

By the way... (4.00 / 1) (#9)
by Steve Ballmer on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:17:13 PM EST

My offer of 4% off retail for licensing on all Microsoft BackOffice products still stands.

Don't lie to us rusty! (5.00 / 14) (#7)
by duxup on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:15:17 PM EST

We know what is going on!

You sir (5.00 / 6) (#12)
by AmberEyes on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:27:10 PM EST

Lack finesse.

Cheers!

-AmberEyes

"But you [AmberEyes] have never admitted defeat your entire life, so why should you start now. It seems the only perfect human being since Jesus Christ himself is in our presence." -my Uncle Dean
Those 'toons (5.00 / 2) (#17)
by rusty on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:47:22 PM EST

We should make those a feature here somehow. Your cartoons never fail to crack me up. And considering most of them are making fun of me, that's saying something. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Well (5.00 / 1) (#19)
by AmberEyes on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 04:33:40 PM EST

It's because they're good-natured joking. Believe it or not, I do like you, I just get immensely frustrated when it takes 90 seconds for a page to load. ;)

BTW, people won't get tired of your site news, so keep it up. I have a suspicion that people would rather err on the side of constantly hearing you, then thinking that you ran off with their cash.

-AmberEyes

Hmmmm (1.00 / 1) (#27)
by GRiNGO on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 05:57:44 PM EST

May I suggest that if you really do get immensely frustrated at waiting 90 seconds for a page on a website to load then you need to take a long hard look at your life?

Isnt there something more important you could be worrying about, such as the high taxes you're paying, the way your government is fucking you over, the fact that you're really a slave and dont know it, RIPA, ECHELON, finger prints on credit card receipts, logging of tracking data from everyones mobile phones and the whole host of other shit that conspires to make our "freedom" only a fucking pipe dream?

"I send you to Baghdad a long time. Nobody find you. Do they care, buddy?" - Three Kings

A simple challenge (5.00 / 1) (#29)
by inertia on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 06:35:33 PM EST

Answer me this: the issues you cited in your post are obviously a concern to you... what are you doing to help fix these problems and concerns you're talking about? I think you try to bash those of us who actually enjoy K5 without realizing that you're (probably) guilty of the same "sins" you mention.

Awwwww (none / 0) (#32)
by GRiNGO on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 06:47:48 PM EST

Come on now, I dont try to "bash" anyone for enjoying something, but I do find it mostly sad but sometimes amusing that people let things like k5 ( which after all is only a website... ) get them so uptight. The comment above was mainly a joke addressing that issue and while the things I mentioned are not of any great concern to me, even if they were I couldnt do fuck all about them anyway... but what I dont do is run around getting upset about things I have no control over.

the difference is (3.66 / 3) (#45)
by Fuzzwah on Wed Jan 22, 2003 at 12:19:25 AM EST

AmberEyes goes and makes funny little comments. You on the other hand post crappy trolls.

The best a human can do is to pick a delusion that helps him get through the day. - God's Debris

Dirty tongue (none / 0) (#56)
by GRiNGO on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 05:36:39 AM EST

Pull your tongue outta his hole.

Nothing is more important (4.00 / 1) (#30)
by AmberEyes on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 06:35:39 PM EST

I get really frustrated when I have to wait 90 seconds to read such thought-provoking comments such as yours.

"Ooh", I say, "I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF I JUST GOTS TO GETS ME SOME INSIGHTFUL GRINGO COMMENTS WHERE HE TELLS ME HOW I SHOULD SPEND MY TIME AND CONDUCT MYSELF!@*Y!@", and I fall apart.

That almost inspires me to make another comic.

-AmberEyes

What do you think of this idea... (none / 0) (#46)
by leviramsey on Wed Jan 22, 2003 at 12:27:15 AM EST

for a cartoon/art section?

Finesse (5.00 / 2) (#18)
by duxup on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:48:21 PM EST

Hey, I'm doing like 10 other things when I'm making these.
I thought the Bender/Google one had some finesse.

I like your first one the most, actually. (5.00 / 2) (#20)
by AmberEyes on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 04:34:39 PM EST

I'm secretly jealous.

Although, obviously, I'd never admit it.

-AmberEyes

Ah (5.00 / 5) (#21)
by duxup on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 05:01:37 PM EST

Well I like some of your too, even though they suck.

*jealous*

Thanks! (2.00 / 1) (#14)
by TheophileEscargot on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:39:59 PM EST

Good to know what's going on.

I'm fine with updates in site news, but diaries are good too if you're worried about crapflooding: news soon spreads.

Or there's always the status page on K4 if you're desperate ;-)
----
Support the nascent Mad Open Science movement... when we talk about "hundreds of eyeballs," we really mean it. Lagged2Death

Ko4ting status page (5.00 / 1) (#16)
by rusty on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 03:45:45 PM EST

I wasn't aware of that. I've got it bookmarked, and if anything drastic happens and you can't get to the site at all, I will post what's going on there. It sin't very likely, because that would take a pretty major disaster, but just in case. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Put it on the mod_perl page (5.00 / 4) (#31)
by fluffy grue on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 06:46:14 PM EST

I mean, I've seen that page dozens of times today...
"Is not a sentence" is not a sentence.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

There's a more serious problem (4.50 / 2) (#22)
by Eloquence on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 05:17:46 PM EST

My subscription ran to -87 days without me paying a buck, now it's run out. Don't tell me I actually have to pay for getting my hotlist back ;-)
Copyright law is bad: infoAnarchy Pleasure is good: Origins of Violence
spread the word!
Yup (5.00 / 6) (#24)
by rusty on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 05:35:44 PM EST

All of you Judases quietly went along without a peep and let me believe I had fixed subscription expiration, when in fact a tiny bug meant I really hadn't!

Someone finally clued me in, and got two extra free months for his trouble. Honesty pays, my friend. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Actually (5.00 / 6) (#34)
by DesiredUsername on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 07:10:01 PM EST

I should still have time left on my subscription, if you count it in pages successfully served.

Play 囲碁

Mime-Version: 1.0
X-Evolution-Transport: sendmail:
X-Evolution-Account: moeller@scireview.de
X-Evolution-Format: text/plain

Hi,

I just noticed that my K5 subscription has been running to "-8 days
left" now and doesn't seem to expire. Not that I consider this a problem

Regards,

Erik
Scientific Reviewer, Freelancer, Humanist -- Berlin / Germany
Phone: +49 (0)30 45491008 -- Web: http://www.humanist.de/erik
Editor of: http://www.violence.de, http://www.infoanarchy.org

Patriotism is an ephemeral motive that scarcely ever outlasts
the particular threat to society that aroused it.
  -- Denis Diderot
Copyright law is bad: infoAnarchy Pleasure is good: Origins of Violence
spread the word!

-1, too K5-centric (3.50 / 4) (#25)
by egg troll on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 05:36:29 PM EST

He's a bondage fan, a gastronome, a sensualist
Unparalleled for sinister lasciviousness.

Down with the man. (none / 0) (#26)
by tkatchev on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 05:52:49 PM EST

I want more violence on this site!

Come on, people!

-- Signed, Lev Andropoff, cosmonaut.

Um OK..Take THIS (THWACK) (none / 0) (#33)
by mayo on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 07:01:43 PM EST

Hmmm, virtual violence just doesn't seem quite right.

Interesting (4.87 / 8) (#35)
by Joh3n on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 07:23:45 PM EST

I have noticed a direct correlation between the posting of site news and the speediness of k5.  I imagine it is likely due to rusty having the 'there's no way I'm waiting 20 minutes for my post to go in' giant red button on his desk.

Can I have one of those buttons?

</tongue in cheek>
---------------------------------
You can learn a lot about someone by popping in their un-rewound pr0n tape and seeing where exactly they came.
-terpy

Heh (none / 0) (#36)
by rusty on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 07:33:14 PM EST

Yeah, since I posted this, it hasn't been nearly as bad. I had to babysit all day, but it got a little better after posting. I chalk it up to Mr. Murphy and his cursed law.

____
Not the real rusty
Um, actually (none / 0) (#50)
by Rogerborg on Wed Jan 22, 2003 at 07:32:28 AM EST

Murphy's Law is explicit, well defined, and doesn't apply here because you didn't do anything wrong.

You're probably thinking of a sloppy Finagle's Law variant like "The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum"."

"Exterminate all rational thought." - W.S. Burroughs

I noticed that too (none / 0) (#41)
by duxup on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 09:59:32 PM EST

At first I thought it was just anomalous, but now I wonder what rusty is doing . . .

Heh (4.66 / 6) (#38)
by trhurler on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 08:01:50 PM EST

You know, real RDBMSes don't lock up when you raise the load. :)

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

MySQL hardly qualifies... (5.00 / 3) (#42)
by vectro on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 10:40:54 PM EST

... but this is certainly not the only reason for such.

“The problem with that definition is just that it's bullshit.” -- localroger
I agree. Postgres is teh shiznat (4.50 / 2) (#43)
by tzanger on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 11:00:43 PM EST

I've got a RADIUS server with about 25 hits/sec at peak times, and every RADIUS access is a postgres access on the same machine into a (currently) 403,000 row table with triggers which audit the changes as they occur so that I can replicate them to a master server.

Long story short: I discovered that I didn't have 32-bit access nor DMA turned on on the drives storing the data. vmstat is a wonderful little utility and helped me figure out why I was hitting only 2500 blocks in/sec at peak and 5000 interrupts/sec. :-)

Postgresql beats MySQL in the real world (none / 0) (#53)
by Scott Marlowe on Wed Jan 22, 2003 at 03:30:35 PM EST

While MySQL looks real good when you're the only one beating on it, as soon as you get a heavy parallel load you are going to have issues.

Tim Perdue, the creator of PHPBuilder and one of the architects for Source Forge published an article on why he switched PHPBuilder over to Postgresql from MySQL here.

It's a good read. Lotsa good feedback, and more importantly, it's not some arbitrary benchmark in some lab, it's real data on a real server, and Postgresql saved his bacon.

I use postgresql every day, and it NEVER crashes, no matter how high the load.

And real DBMSs... (5.00 / 2) (#44)
by OzJuggler on Tue Jan 21, 2003 at 11:10:25 PM EST

...allow you to define tables with more than one text column longer than 4000 characters.
Which pretty much eliminates any version of Oracle prior to 9i. Before then you could use CLOBs but you weren't able to select them in a query like any other column - you had to use their bizarre DBMS_LOB function calls to read chunks of the CLOB procedurally... what a load of crap.
Their own JDBC driver doesn't even mask this insanity - try resultset.getString("myClobCol") and it gives you hundreds of rows of nulls instead of translating the CLOB into a String... GRRRR!

Where I work pretty much every DB in the building is an Oracle daemon, and our main ERP app is an ancient monster tied to Oracle 7.3.4. So it was with some feeling that the other day I remarked to my boss "ALL I WANT IS A REALLY BIG TEXT FIELD! WHY DOES ORACLE DO THIS TO US?!"
Unfortunately my boss' genuine response was that Access 2000 is more capable than Oracle 8i and maybe we should develop new applications in that instead of Oracle... and change our database platform from Solaris to Windows 2000 and use the JDBC-ODBC bridge...
(AAAaagh what have I started?)

So anyway, by my measure, I work at a fairly big company that doesn't have any real DBMSs. :-(
"And I will not rest until every year families gather to spend December 25th together
at Osama's homo abortion pot and commie jizzporium." - Jon Stewart's gift to Bill O'Reilly, 7 Dec 2005.

I hope you're joking. (none / 0) (#52)
by Anonymous Hiro on Wed Jan 22, 2003 at 02:03:49 PM EST

If you're not joking I suggest you try Postgresql first. Please.

No joke. (none / 0) (#57)
by OzJuggler on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 08:24:32 PM EST

He is seriously considering Access 2000 not only as a rapid prototyping tool (which it is quite good for), but also as the real production backend.

The only argument that could be made against Postgresql would be the new learning curve, possible scalability issues, and lack of tool support and so forth. But you're right insofar as there are other options he probably has not considered.

Scalability issues (none / 0) (#61)
by Anonymous Hiro on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 03:44:56 AM EST

How can anyone talk about "possible scalability issues" and then use Access 2000?

Postgresql scales too well? Thus no job security? No kickbacks from hardware vendors?

The people managing the .ORG TLD are using Postgresql for it.

I'm not saying you have to use Postgresql, but using Access 2000?... Agh. Use MSSQL even!

Are the others any betters ? (none / 0) (#48)
by Betcour on Wed Jan 22, 2003 at 02:52:14 AM EST

What do PostgreSQL, DB2 or Oracle do when they receive more request that they can handle and the load climbs up to above 80.0 and higher ?

Exactly what they're supposed to do (none / 0) (#54)
by trhurler on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 04:54:09 PM EST

Run slower. Not lock up, or corrupt data(remember when that happened to k5? Yup, you can probably blame mysqueal.) No software can overcome the fundamental limits of its hardware, but that doesn't mean it has to introduce gratuitous flaws all its own.

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

That is what mysql does (none / 0) (#55)
by rusty on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 06:04:40 PM EST

It runs slower. Basically, it keeps getting jammed up with these nasty join queries that take ages to run. They will run eventually, but meanwhile more and more people are trying to load them, and one thread after another gets tied up running one of these queries of death. I can't really see a reason to blame the database here.

____
Not the real rusty
Postgresql better choice due to MVCC (none / 0) (#58)
by Scott Marlowe on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 05:07:47 PM EST

Rusty, postgresql's MVCC locking mechanism means that READERs never block WRITERs and vice versa. You should look at how it behaves with your kind of load. Quite often the only time MySQL has issues is when you start writing to the database while others need to write, then the whole thing goes into a "sitting silently staring at the wall" kind of mode while all the readers wait for the one writer to finish, meanwhile the waiting processes just pile up.

No magic bullet (none / 0) (#59)
by rusty on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 05:24:58 PM EST

That wouldn't have helped. Picture the scenario: You have one query which pops up say one out of 20 pageviews. However, it takes 4 minutes to run. You serve 5 pages per second. You can only have 50 database threads, maximum. These numbers are all made up, but the serve the purpose of illustrating the problem.

So in one minute, you will serve 300 pages. On average, 15 of these will include the Evil query. In the next three minutes, you will add 45 more instance of the Evil query, without clearing any of the existing ones. Now every database thread is busy running this query, and new requests are just stacking up, waiting for a database thread to clear. Massive slowdown. The new requests will also exhibit the same ratio of Evil queries to non-evil queries, so you're basically in a situation where the backup is self-perpetuating.

It doesn't have anything to do with locking, it's just a situation which will occur on any database when you are stuck with a certain load and a certain percentage of queries that take too long, and a limited amount of server resources.

____
Not the real rusty

What kind of queries, might I ask? (none / 0) (#60)
by Scott Marlowe on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 07:35:57 PM EST

What kind of queries result in this kind of slowdown?  Are they many-way joins, or ugly things that can't use indexes and such?  just wondering.

Are you I/O, CPU, or memory bound for the most part?

I'd be more than willing to help test some complex queries on both MySQL and Postgresql on a test box of mine to get some ideas of the kind of performance those queries create.  I've found that postgresql seems to suffer less from very complex queries than MySQL, but like all things, it really depends on the exact query.  For instance, postgresql does very poorly with large lists in a in() clause, mysql seems to not like having many tables joined together in a single query.

Either way, K5 seems faster lately than in the past, so thanks for the upgrades and effort...  I know it's a damned thankless job some days.

News without being annoying (5.00 / 6) (#47)
by Keepiru on Wed Jan 22, 2003 at 01:57:23 AM EST

Rusty, you're on K5. Y'know, the democratically self-moderating news forum. If you don't really believe we want to hear it, drop it in the mod queue and it'll take care of itself. We can get as much news as we want, and if we get tired of hearing it, we'll shut you up.  :-)

more than one server? (4.50 / 2) (#51)
by spottedkangaroo on Wed Jan 22, 2003 at 07:57:01 AM EST

Back at my dot bomb, we had great success running mysql in replication. We had two servers that were read only, and one central server that was write only... It took a LOT of the load off the central server.

I think with a site like this you could really benifit from having like 10 small machines with apache/mysql on them ... and one central server for inserts/updates. I mean, I gotta figure most of what people do is refresh the dairies page, or click around on their hotlist/replies/stories/diaries nav-bar.

That could be spread out quite a bit with only $2k or $5k worth of servers.

Flaky SCSI, Lots of people | 61 comments (61 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)