Updated Scoop: Archive, Dynamic Mode Updates, and More

By rusty in Site News
Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:37:17 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Well, for those of you who weren't obsessively reloading last night, the news is that I finally did the big Scoop update. We're on sparkling fresh current CVS code right now, including hulver's archive patch, which was literally about two hours old when I started the update. If you missed the ongoing update page, I'll leave it around till later this afternoon. I got a little woozy toward the end there.

So what we've got now is the latest Scoop code. This should mostly be a blessing, but as always K5 tends to discover bugs and misfeatures that no other Scoop site stumbles on. It's been a while, but I'm sure most of you remember how the Scoop alpha testing is done.

A lot of the changes are internal stuff that you'll never really see, but for users of the dynamic comment mode there are some really nifty new things. First, comment ratings will auto-submit themselves without reloading the whole page. Rating is basically instant, try it out. There are also now expand and collapse subthread buttons (the gray double arrows next to the familiar expand/contract arrows). They do exactly what you'd imagine they do. I will be changing those icons to blue to better fit the color scheme here.

The other major change is the archive. Stories will be archived after one year, which just means they are closed to new comments and comment ratings, and to search for them you have to check the new "Search Archive" box in the search form. All the normal display preferences and comment modes work on archived stories, and in most ways they should appear no different than any other story. The nice thing about this is that the archive physically lives in a separate database, so there's suddenly much less stuff in the live, busy comment and story tables. I archived out 259169 comments and 24015 stories last night. This should help a whole lot in speeding things up. We shall certainly see.

And finally, this code has some support for themes. This is a way for K5 to give you some options for how you want the site to be displayed. I haven't even looked at that stuff yet, so that'll be coming in the next week or two. The first themes I want to focus on are usability-related ones, like creating a fully standards-compliant CSS version of the current layout, and a very low-bandwidth text-only version of the site. After that, maybe we'll try out some different designs. But give me a little time to figure out how it works first.

Of course, none of this would be here without the faithful Scoop developers. panner, who runs the project, wrote a lot of the best code in Scoop, and is the evil patchmaster. hulver, who finally wrote the archive code we've all been hemming and hawing over for two years, Joe Groff whose dynamic comments mode updates from ages ago are finally here, and several others who I am callously forgetting, but who can no doubt be found in the CREDITS file. These guys do amazing work, and they should get more credit than me.

There may be bugs scattered here and there, and I'd appreciate if you'd let me know below if you happen to find one. The one that I've noticed so far is that archived stories have all their comments marked as "new", so consider that found. Other than that, reports are welcome.

o Scoop
o hulver's
o the ongoing update page
o panner
o hulver
o Joe Groff
o Also by rusty

Updated Scoop: Archive, Dynamic Mode Updates, and More | 93 comments (93 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Hoo-ahh! You the MAN, Rusty! (3.82 / 17) (#1)
by cavalier on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:43:25 AM EST

You the MAN!  Hoo-ahh! Someone give me a Budweiser! Hoo-ahh! I'm grabbing my crotch in support! Hoo-ahh! I am an advertising executive's stereotypical male 25-34 response! Hoo-ahh!

Seriously,  THANK YOU so much for all the hard work you do.  K5 is my favorite 'net stomping ground, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Hoo-ahh to all the scoop developers too!  Y'all rule 'n stuff.

Mornin everybody :P :)

Stereotypical Addendum (4.28 / 7) (#5)
by CheeseburgerBrown on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:50:19 AM EST

Remember to piston your bent arm along your side while hissing: "Yesssss!"

...No show of masculine tomfoolery is complete without it.

The opinions expressed in the comments above are not those of the author; they have been rented for the occasion of this writing from a neutral third party.<
Dude, congratulations on your Baby :) (none / 0) (#15)
by cavalier on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 09:09:17 AM EST

Surely a prominent sign of an overly fertile masculine male!

(well, er, yeah, I'm sure your WIFE played a, um, part, but, uh, er,..)

Seriously,  congrats :)   Your reports were so awesome.  Very heart warming,  scarey,  and wonderful at the same time :)

Thanks kindly. [n/t] (none / 0) (#88)
by CheeseburgerBrown on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 09:38:49 PM EST

Wow (3.28 / 7) (#2)
by wiredog on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:45:39 AM EST

You fixed the editorial comment bug fast.

Wilford Brimley scares my chickens.
Phil the Canuck

It was easy. :-) (4.16 / 6) (#3)
by rusty on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:47:42 AM EST

Two checkboxes, was all.

Ahhh... (3.50 / 2) (#4)
by some homeless guy on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:50:14 AM EST

It feels good to have it back *hugs monitor*

Without Kuro5hin, I realized how empty my life really is - but with it back, I shall promptly forget the empty vacuum that is my life... *sigh*

*grins* Ah, who am i kidding? ; )

well done rusty! (3.83 / 6) (#6)
by johwsun on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:53:05 AM EST

I felt the earth move under my feet, while kuro5hin was down.
For God's sake, dont you ever do this again, its too scary for me !

Very, very cool (3.75 / 8) (#7)
by Canthros on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:54:13 AM EST

I'm moving to Dynamic Minimal for comments, now. The auto-rating is most cool, but I'll probably be torqued when I get home and have to use it over a modem.

And Bigelow is pretty cheap as tea goes, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes if you're drinking herbal tea. For good black or green tea, I'm told Tazo is a good brand, but Twinings is also quite respectable.

It's now obvious you are either A) Gay or B) Female, or possibly both.
RyoCokey

dynamic and Moz (4.40 / 5) (#8)
by tps12 on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:56:36 AM EST

Anyone else finding that dynamic mode doesn't work in Mozilla? I was going to submit a bug report, but I realized I'm still on v1.0 (on Windows), so maybe it's a Moz bug.

Yeah, try upgrading. (4.66 / 3) (#11)
by Canthros on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:58:57 AM EST

I've never had a problem with it, but I've got 1.2.1 here and 1.1 or something at home. Alternately, try enabling JavaScript.

It's now obvious you are either A) Gay or B) Female, or possibly both.
RyoCokey
Wurx fer me (4.80 / 5) (#12)
by rusty on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:59:37 AM EST

It works fine for me using Galeon, built with Mozilla 1.2.1. I found a bunch of bugs went away after upgrading from 1.0.

Not the real rusty
javascript? (3.00 / 1) (#23)
by hans on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 02:03:42 PM EST

I don't remember how dynamic mode works, but I assume its javascript.  make sure you've got that enabled.

I saw the same thing (5.00 / 2) (#24)
by ttfkam on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 02:14:25 PM EST

Using Mozilla 1.3a.  My initial page view had a reference to the function "toggleList" which didn't exist.  I hit reload and it started working.  Cache entry of output before a code change?

In other news, I recommend you browse the site with the Mozilla JavaScript console open; you've got a huge list of warnings.  Perhaps they are trying to ease developers toward cleaner JavaScript?  Easiest way to get rid of most of them is by switching the checks for document.all and document.getElementById.  The former always generates

Warning: reference to undefined property document.all

I think the Mozilla developers may be working towards a JavaScript version of Perl's "use strict".  Besides, getElementById is the standard.  Perhaps it "deserves" to be first?

If I'm made in God's image then God needs to lay off the corn chips and onion dip. Get some exercise, God! - Tatarigami

Mozilla 1.2.1 (none / 0) (#72)
by metalfan on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 10:34:20 AM EST

Dynamic mode doesn't work for me on Mozilla 1.2.1/Windows 2000. (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021130)

In addition to that, when I click on the message titles, nothing happens, but if I click the "open" link, it will open.

After this I can open replies by clicking the titles. Yes, I have JavaScript turned on.

Reload the javascript file (5.00 / 1) (#74)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 10:50:36 AM EST

Do a shift-reload to get the javascript file refreshed. So far this has worked for everyone, and I know it works with moz 1.2.1. Basically, the browser is trying to use the old javascript file, which won't work right anymore.

Not the real rusty
Works. Thanks. (nt) (none / 0) (#86)
by metalfan on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 08:01:53 PM EST

you're my hero. (4.11 / 9) (#9)
by evilpckls on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:57:03 AM EST

we love you. =)

-------
"oh, bread... oh.. baby... ohhh... fluffy goodness..." --nstenz

Themes! Thank you! (4.12 / 8) (#10)
by Bunny Vomit on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:58:20 AM EST

Can't wait. This white background is a killer on my eyes sometimes.

(\_/)
(O.o)
((")(")
Comments in story separate from poll results (5.00 / 7) (#13)
by Mr Spot on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 09:03:08 AM EST

I've noticed that in the diaries and articles, the comments attached to the main body don't show up in the poll results, when they did before.

That's the only weird thing I've noticed so far. Keep up the good work! :-)

Yes (none / 0) (#14)
by rusty on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 09:09:08 AM EST

You seem to be right about that. It's on the bug list now.

Not the real rusty
Question (5.00 / 1) (#16)
by gazbo on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 09:12:21 AM EST

Is it still the plan to take the site down on Friday to install the new DB server? I assume it is but I guess you may want to test out scoop first or something?

-----
Topless, revealing, nude pics and vids of Zora Suleman! Upskirt and down blouse! Cleavage!
Hardcore ZORA SULEMAN pics!

Maybe (5.00 / 8) (#17)
by rusty on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 09:17:16 AM EST

Now that Scoop is updated, switching database servers will be much faster. I should be able to do it Friday, but it probably won't take all day. I can do a lot of setup and testing without touching the site at all. It should just have to be down long enough to dump and load the databases, which is easily less than two hours.

Not the real rusty
Oh baby! (5.00 / 3) (#18)
by DesiredUsername on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 09:20:30 AM EST

Now that's a good reason get get behind this Scoop update! Do you know yet which two hours on Friday they'll be?

Play 囲碁
Oi! (4.70 / 10) (#20)
by gazbo on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 09:27:44 AM EST

Now that's a good reason get get behind

I don't car how excited you are, 80s rapping is not permitted on this site.

-----
Hardcore ZORA SULEMAN pics!

Pft... (none / 0) (#75)
by yicky yacky on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 11:59:58 AM EST

How low can you go?

Yicky Yacky
***********
"You f*cking newbie. Shut up and sit in the corner!" - JCB
Thanx (3.42 / 7) (#19)
by S1ack3rThanThou on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 09:22:04 AM EST

Keep up the good work guys.

"Remember what the dormouse said, feed your head..."
-1 Site News & Iraq (2.66 / 21) (#21)
by duxup on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 09:36:20 AM EST

Why is everyone down-rating duxup? (5.00 / 1) (#42)
by leviramsey on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 07:52:50 PM EST

He is the spreader of love on K5!

Can't rate comments that are nested. (4.36 / 11) (#22)
by NicholasRP on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 09:37:49 AM EST

The Dynamic threaded, am I the only one that after alevel or two dont have an option to rate comments? using phoenix 0.5...

______________________
My life is nothing more than a ripple of reality
Rating threaded comments works fine, but... (4.00 / 2) (#25)
by floydian on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 02:17:50 PM EST

I do notice something else just as I am reporting this to you: I cannot see the parent comment when I write this response. You know, below the "Replying To" header that appears right over the text input box that I'm using, all I see is blank space, and the little blue arrow.

Does anyone else see this bug, or is it just my browser? I'm using Galeon 1.2.0.

I don't have it. Moz 1.2.1 (nt) (none / 0) (#28)
by nusuth on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 04:38:25 PM EST

Moz 1.2.1 - Works, but has bad table formatting (5.00 / 3) (#33)
by flarg on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 06:01:52 PM EST

I see the parent comment, however it is all the way to the right.

It's as if the HTML formatting for the tables is missing a row tag.

same here (none / 0) (#40)
by cr8dle2grave on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 07:45:09 PM EST

when replying to a comment, that comment is sometimes crunched up to right, but to the left of the right column. Othertimes it appears to be contained within the right column above the user/options box and below the sponsers box.

Unity of mankind means: No escape for anyone anywhere. - Milan Kundera

oh, Moz 1.2b [n/t] (none / 0) (#41)
by cr8dle2grave on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 07:46:31 PM EST

Unity of mankind means: No escape for anyone anywhere. - Milan Kundera

Maybe this is a Mozilla bug? (none / 0) (#83)
by flarg on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 05:35:23 PM EST

This might be an issue with Mozilla.

On Slashdot, the tables on certain pages (like http://slashdot.org/my/friends is also screwed up in a similar manner (A large white gap above the freinds list).

Ah wait. (5.00 / 1) (#84)
by flarg on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 05:46:05 PM EST

The slashdot issue only happens if you enable the "User Space" Slashbox.

Keep moving folks, nothing to see here.

Yeah same thing in IE 5.5 (none / 0) (#34)
by trane on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 06:26:33 PM EST

Idea (4.14 / 7) (#26)
by DesiredUsername on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 02:42:31 PM EST

If you aren't still sleeping, you should just do the hardware upgrade now. The software you were waiting on is moot, since you already installed it. And the site is unusable as is.

Play 囲碁
For your diagnostic pleasure (4.50 / 2) (#27)
by epepke on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 04:38:20 PM EST

Every time I try to create a new diary entry from the "New Diary Entry" link on most pages, I get a "D'oh!" error message.

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

Unrelated (5.00 / 1) (#29)
by rusty on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 04:43:29 PM EST

Sorry, I've been trying to optimize queries and tweak the database, and the site's been up and down accordingly. Your action and the error aren't related.

Not the real rusty
It must be magic (none / 0) (#32)
by epepke on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 04:56:49 PM EST

Because, just after I wrote that message, trying to post a diary entry worked.

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

The proper way to do themes (4.40 / 10) (#30)
by fluffy grue on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 04:45:16 PM EST

1. Convert the entire page to CSS
  2. Provide all themes as alternate stylesheets (with a server-side configuration for default stylesheet)
Once you use CSS, there's no reason to use alternate server-side themes, unless you really want to support the handful of Netscape 3/4 users, or if you're doing a slow and painful transition from a highly-complex theme which you don't want to lose. :)
"Is not a sentence" is not a sentence.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

old Netscape users ... (5.00 / 2) (#35)
by Kellnerin on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 06:45:36 PM EST

Hey! I'm one of those people, at least at work, anyway. IE6 works really poorly for my browsing habits, and the machine is like Montgomery Burns -- I suspect all the software is in a delicate balance that barely allows the whole thing to keep functioning. If I were to install anything like a new browser, I fear it would implode. I love how K5 displays well in NS4 -- though I wouldn't mind if I missed out on some of the themes, I'd like there to be an option that still works for artifacts like me.

--I'm pregnant. I'm stealing your pickle. -iGrrrl --
I was an old NS user until ... (4.00 / 2) (#37)
by Pete Townshend on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 07:08:17 PM EST

... I got a new computer. My old K5-233 couldn't do Mozilla and such in a reasonable fashion speed-wise (even w/ 256MB of RAM). Back in my old NS 4.x days I had already transitioned my own sites to CSS, and they worked fine as long as I remembered the following: keep the fonts simple (and NS 4.x deals well enough with CSS for the stuff that's currently in <font> tags; just don't do fancy overlays and such); and don't do wacky stuff with <div> tags (basically border and margin stuff, because NS 4.x does it poorly).

A simple K5 style sheet should really only deal with a few font-issues ... basically, I do not think the <font> tag should ever be used (though I admit to using it years ago). For all I care rusty could keep the stylistically bad but functional table layout. As a result, even with CSS turned off in NS 4.x, viewers would simply have a page with near-proper layout and (for example) Times New Roman 12pt font (by default) ... in short, a clean CSS will not cause issues with NS 4.x. In fact, on my current site, the only real issue is that NS 4.x doesn't display things like — and “

Do you need themes at work? (5.00 / 1) (#44)
by haflinger on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:28:37 PM EST

Really. Properly-designed CSS-enhanced pages will look fine even on Lynx. Actually, especially on Lynx.

Did people from the future send George Carlin back in time to save rusty and K5? - leviramsey
Re: The proper way to do themes (none / 0) (#48)
by Holloway on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 11:35:04 PM EST

Convert the entire page to CSS Provide all themes as alternate stylesheets (with a server-side configuration for default stylesheet)
That assumes that a single HTML standard will be good enough. There are enough differences between HTML 4.01, XHTML 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 - a proper way to do themes wouldn't have to choose one of many.

Also, if you can do themed html it makes an rss or forumzilla (whatever happened to that?) theme easy.

== Human's wear pants, if they don't wear pants they stand out in a crowd. But if a monkey didn't wear pants it would be anonymous

Yes (none / 0) (#49)
by rusty on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 11:42:42 PM EST

The way we're approaching themes is basically as an organizing principle on blocks, which is just how Scoop stores chunks of output and layout. So fluffy's idea could easily be encompassed within this, but we could also do "themes" which amount to whole new interfaces, which might share very little with the regular browser-oriented site. We're calling them themes, but it's closer to an abstracted interface layer.

Not the real rusty
But that's what CSS is... (none / 0) (#52)
by fluffy grue on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 12:26:36 AM EST

an abstraction between layout ("interface") and content. By just changing the stylesheet you can totally change the layout of a page without changing any of the page's HTML.

Run a browser which lets you change the stylesheet on-the-fly and head over here. Change the stylesheet. Notice how the layout of the page vastly changes.

Even on my weblog (which uses more or less stock layout templates and a stylesheet not too fundamentally different from the default), if you set stylesheet to 'none' you find out that the layout of the page has very little to do with the layout of the HTML.
"Is not a sentence" is not a sentence.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Interface (5.00 / 1) (#53)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 12:36:58 AM EST

By "interface" I really mean interface, not just layout. Our goal is to have every scrap of html output contained in blocks. This means that every part of the site can be altered by a theme, so we aren't just talking about html -- the site could just as easily be formatted in plain-text or some other markup language just using themes. Some of the input stuff might not be able to work without html and forms, but most of the output could be done any way we wanted. Another simple example is that one theme would be just what we have now, which will look the way it's supposed to look without any CSS at all. It would be impossible to do that with a theme system based on CSS.

I'm not really disagreeing with you about the usefulness of CSS. I'm just saying that for Scoop, with a real theming system we can do that and a lot more.

Ah (none / 0) (#55)
by fluffy grue on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:11:14 AM EST

Okay then. :)
"Is not a sentence" is not a sentence.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

WAP mode/theme? :) [nt] (5.00 / 1) (#76)
by infinitera on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 01:32:13 PM EST

In theory (5.00 / 1) (#78)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:01:01 PM EST

If WAP wasn't deader than a doornail, yeah we could do that. I'm afraid it's probably not going to be a real high priority though. Get something that can display the real web, and you can use the light mode. :-)

Not the real rusty
It is certainly not coincidence (5.00 / 2) (#79)
by gazbo on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:06:32 PM EST

That "WAP" rhymes with "fucking ill-thought-out protocol designed specifically to work with first-generation hardware that even a muppet would know would be obsolete within 8 months"

Hmm...maybe it only rhymes if said in an English accent.

-----
Hardcore ZORA SULEMAN pics!

This would work... in theory (none / 0) (#54)
by richardo on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 01:05:47 AM EST

In theory, communism works... in theory.

What you seem to forget is that probably %75 or more of kuro5hin's visitors do NOT use a browser that has as spiffy of CSS support as mozilla.

I didn't say to rely on that functionality (none / 0) (#56)
by fluffy grue on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:12:02 AM EST

Note that I said that the default stylesheet should still be configurable as a server-side thing.
"Is not a sentence" is not a sentence.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

What CSS is (none / 0) (#85)
by Holloway on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 06:22:09 PM EST

CSS is a further abstraction, but it's not a complete abstraction, and any redesign will involve changing the XHTML slightly.

For example, CSS can't add foreground images to a page. Foreground images may be part of the design and not part of the content. You can sometimes achieve the same look though CSS background images but that only works with some designs (certainly not most).

CSS helps abstraction, and when it can help it's useful, but to say that it's all that's needed for themes is false.

Yes it can (none / 0) (#87)
by fluffy grue on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 09:05:09 PM EST

Using the "insert-before" and "insert-after" stuff. Though that might be CSS2.
"Ain't proper English" ain't proper English.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

"Misfeature" (3.22 / 9) (#31)
by nevertheless on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 04:49:17 PM EST

Heh. I like that.

This whole "being at work" thing just isn't doing it for me. -- Phil the Canuck

pending stories (5.00 / 4) (#36)
by godix on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 06:54:35 PM EST

The moderate submission button says '0/2/9' while looking at the moderation queue shows 7 stories in voting and 3 in edit mode. Why aren't the numbers adding up correctly?

Whoops, just hit reload. Still 7 voting stories and 3 edit, but now my numbers say '0/1/8'

Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Yes (5.00 / 1) (#39)
by rusty on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 07:23:04 PM EST

Fixes for that coming soon.

Not the real rusty
Back w/ dynamic comments (4.60 / 10) (#38)
by hans on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 07:10:04 PM EST

Using the browser's back button with dynamic comments works properly now.  This is so rockin.

dynamic mode bug (5.00 / 1) (#43)
by infinitera on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:23:28 PM EST

When looking at raters (or anything that invokes mode=alone), there's a rather large amount of whitespace above the comment, for some reason.

whitespace problems (4.00 / 1) (#60)
by ToastyKen on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 07:01:00 AM EST

I'm using Phoenix, and there's insufficient whitespace between comment sigs and the rating popup.

Automatic comment rating (3.40 / 10) (#45)
by broken77 on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:29:27 PM EST

I have to say I dislike this feature. I'd rather do the updating all at once. Especially if the site is running slow.

I'm starting to doubt all this happy propaganda about Islam being a religion of peace. Heck, it's just as bad as Christianity. -- Dphitz

This ought to be a preferences option <n/t> (4.50 / 2) (#46)
by carbon on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 08:37:33 PM EST

Wasn't Dr. Claus the bad guy on Inspector Gadget? - dirvish
THREE CHEERS FOR RUSTY! (4.75 / 8) (#47)
by CodeWright on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 09:07:37 PM EST

Okay, I'm a lamer, but (until now) I've always been too lazy to get a paid membership in k5.... even though I spend at least an hour a day here. Jeez. You'd think a putz with a UID under 500 would know better.

Well, Rusty's herculean effort in restoring k5 for all of us taught me that I need to put my money where my appreciation is. I just sent a check for 48 months of full membership! Wooha!

I encourage anyone else who has been waffling to do the same!

"Humanity's combination of reckless stupidity and disrespect for the mistakes of others is, I think, what makes us great." --
I will (5.00 / 1) (#50)
by CaptainSuperBoy on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 12:14:34 AM EST

As soon as I'm confident the speed problems are solved, I'll subscribe again. Since the site has been basically inaccessible during the day, I've been holding out on the renewal. Doesn't seem worth it right now since I was mostly using K5 at work.

jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.
Probably wise (5.00 / 1) (#51)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 12:18:21 AM EST

I'm not making any guarantees yet either. It's better, and we'll be moving to the new database server soon, which (in theory) should mean it'll stay better for a while. But I'm so accustomed to something blowing up at any moment that I always expect the worst. We'll see how it does in Friday afternoon traffic tomorrow.

Not the real rusty
I'll do my best to crash it! (none / 0) (#62)
by CaptainSuperBoy on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 07:39:34 AM EST

err.. I mean, read it.

jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.
Diary hotlist (none / 0) (#57)
by sleepyhel on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:41:52 AM EST

I don't seem to be able to add or remove people from my diary hotlist any more - the watch/unwatch links just have no effect.

"have you ever been in the middle of really good sex, and realized a duck was staring at you?" -- vleth
Links broken (none / 0) (#63)
by hulver on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 07:50:09 AM EST

You can do it manually.

That does the trick.

HuSi!

Hm (5.00 / 1) (#67)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 09:59:55 AM EST

Looks like the upgrade messed with the op templates. That should be fixed now.

Not the real rusty
Still an issue (none / 0) (#69)
by CtrlBR on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 10:15:05 AM EST

Somehow there an empty entry that made it to my Diaries.

It prints " (0 new)" as compared to "rusty (O new)". (the space is not hyperlinked if that worry you).

Slighly annoying.

If no-one thinks you're a freedom fighter than you're probably not a terrorist.
-- Gully Foyle

Can you remove it? (none / 0) (#71)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 10:24:39 AM EST

If you click the icon next to the empty space, it should go away, I think.

Not the real rusty
It worked, thanks! [NT] (none / 0) (#73)
by CtrlBR on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 10:39:35 AM EST

If no-one thinks you're a freedom fighter than you're probably not a terrorist.
-- Gully Foyle

MySQL (4.50 / 2) (#58)
by Betcour on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:48:57 AM EST

So what version of MySQL is it running ? Are the tables Innodb or MyIsam ?

I'm asking this because I'm considering upgrading our production db server from 3.23.44 straight to 4.0.9, but I heard some pretty scary things about the early 4.0 releases as well as Innodb.

4.0.1 alpha (none / 0) (#68)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 10:02:23 AM EST

We've actually been running 4.0.1 alpha for a long time, with Innodb tables. It works well, though the cleaning and optimizing stuff that's nice about MyISAM isn't there. Basically the only way to repair screwed up tables is to dump them to text and reload them. But InnoDB is definitely a lot faster than MyISAM, and hasn't been significantly less stable for us.

Not the real rusty
More bug reports (3.00 / 1) (#59)
by squigly on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 05:54:49 AM EST

Expand subthread causes an error when used on empty threads.

'Error "length" is null or not an object'.

I don't see it, Moz 0.9.9 (I know!) (n/t) (none / 0) (#61)
by floydian on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 07:38:44 AM EST

IE + debugger. (none / 0) (#65)
by squigly on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 09:02:07 AM EST

My browser announces an error for dodgy javascript.   Not quite sure if this is a setting somewhere, or a feature of IE + Visual studio.

Anyway, the practical upshot is that if there's a javascript error on a page, it tells me.

It's surprising how many professional pages give errors.

strange thing (4.00 / 1) (#64)
by iGrrrl on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 08:48:12 AM EST

When I previewed my latest diary, the preview version said I was missing a closing tag for blockquote (I wasn't). In the editing fields all the text appeared in the Intro window, complete with (some of) the HTML tags for the stuff usually found between the Intro and Body windows, with no body window. I previewed again. The preview posted everything in the intro, complete with the text version of the HTML tags, but the Intro and Body windows for editing reappeared. I deleted everything inappropriate, moved the body to the body, crossed my fingers and hit post. Seems okay, but that was weird.

You cannot have a reasonable conversation with someone who regards other people as toys to be played with. localroger
remove apostrophe for email.

I've seen that... (none / 0) (#77)
by ana on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:00:01 PM EST

In my case it resulted from the lack of a closing quote in an html link. The HTML for the whole rest o the page got tossed in at the end of my article, producing much whinage from the html checker in scoop.

Years go by; will I still be waiting
for somebody else to understand?
--Tori Amos

Edit article poll eating, less than. (1.00 / 2) (#66)
by I am Jack's username on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 09:16:41 AM EST

Posted a story, went in to edit which killed my poll. I don't remember this happening with previous story edits.

Also, old bug: with HTML formatted try "&lt;http://www.foo.org/&gt;" ("&LT;http://www.foo.org/&gt;" works).
Inoshiro for president!
"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." - Bertrand Russell

Edit queue bug (none / 0) (#90)
by panner on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 12:24:27 AM EST

Found the bug with edit queue poll eating and fixed it locally. Don't know when it'll make it to CVS. For now, I don't think there's much you can do about it.

I tried entering &lt;http://www.foo.org/&gt; and didn't see any problems (also tried it with double quotes, in case you were being literal). What behavior should I be seeing?

Keith Smiley
Get it right, for God's sake. Pigs can work out how to use a joysti
Lowercase less than and ampersands. (5.00 / 1) (#92)
by I am Jack's username on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 05:57:20 AM EST

Thanks for finding the poll eating bug.

Say want to write out the XHTML for the em tag, or enclose a URI in brackets, in a k5 comment with "HTML formatted" set:

Writing "&lt;em&gt;" (ampersand, lowercase l, lowercase t, semicolon, e, m, ampersand, lowercase g, lowercase t, semicolon) results in "&lt;em>". The greater than sign is correct, the less than sign is not rendered.

Writing "&LT;em&gt;" (ampersand, uppercase L, uppercase T, semicolon, e, m, ampersand, lowercase g, lowercase t, semicolon) results in "<em>" (less than, e, m, greater than) which is what I wanted.

In XHTML, tags should be written in lowercase, but on k5 I have to use uppercase LT to make a less than sign. This happens in Mozilla 1.3a and Netscape Communicator 4.79.

Aargh! I just found that doing a preview replaces &amp; with &. Man was this hard to write!
Inoshiro for president!
"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." - Bertrand Russell

More questions: (2.00 / 1) (#70)
by squigly on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 10:16:56 AM EST

That spam button... How does it work?

Should we have the "Voted for/against" boxes at the side there?

Uses story views (none / 0) (#91)
by panner on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 12:28:25 AM EST

Once a certain number of spam votes are cast, it starts to compare the number of votes to the number of story views. If the ratio is above a certain level, the story is pushed into voting. So there's no need for a "Not Spam" button, since reading the story takes care of it.

Keith Smiley
Get it right, for God's sake. Pigs can work out how to use a joysti
Dynamic modes totally broken (4.00 / 1) (#80)
by curien on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:12:02 PM EST

I'm using IE5.5,SP2 and the dynamic modes don't work at all. I get several errors that "`replies' is undefined" (or something to that effect). When I get home, I'll see how Opera7b2 handles it.

Murder your babies. -- R Mutt
Force-Reload (none / 0) (#81)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:13:23 PM EST

Do a shift-reload or whatever you need to do to force the browser to reload everything. It's probably trying to use the old .js file still, which won't work.

Not the real rusty
Hey rusty... (5.00 / 1) (#82)
by jforan on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:34:11 PM EST

When you log in from an internal page, is there a reason you go back to the main page rather than staying at the page on which you are loging in?

Jeff

I hops to be barley workin'.

Well obviously the reason is... (5.00 / 2) (#89)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 11:43:33 PM EST

...poor interface design. :-)

You're right, it should make every effort to keep you where you are, and it shouldn't be that hard to do. I will take a look at the user box code, where the only changes are likely needed.

Not the real rusty

cool - thanks - NT (5.00 / 1) (#93)
by jforan on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 08:31:46 PM EST

Jeff

I hops to be barley workin'.
Updated Scoop: Archive, Dynamic Mode Updates, and More | 93 comments (93 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)