Making dynamic mode work, and Fiction section news

By rusty in Site News
Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:25:53 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Ok, I promise this is the last Site News for a few days at least. I didn't want to post this, but people keep reporting that they can't get dynamic mode to work, and I keep answering the question all over the place, so here it is in one convenient hard-to-miss location:

To make dynamic mode work properly again, you need to shift-reload a page with dynamic comments, or do whatever your browser requires to get it to fully reload the linked javascript file from the server. Most browsers will try to use a cached file if they have it, and the old javascript code won't work with the new in-page stuff.

A word about Fiction below, and a request for more info on a bug.

There's a bug a number of people have reported where comments are displayed stragely sometimes, or don't appear when you're replying to a comment, or appear but are squashed up in strange ways. I haven't been able to duplicate this, so if anyone who has this problem could either take a screenshot of it, or (even better) see if you can poke around the html and identify where the problem lies, I would really appreciate it.

It's been over a week, and the Fiction section vote was pretty firmly in favor. I know, I said it would be Wednesday, but I was a little busy, you know? I have to scoot off to Massachusetts this weekend, so the Fiction section will be appearing on Monday.

Also, about the automatic comment rating in dynamic mode. A few people have said they don't want to use it, so we will add a preference for that. There's also a dynamic version of the subscriber tools box coming, which works similarly to dynamic comments, so you can change the box's mode without reloading the page. That too will be optional for subscribers -- you can use the current version or the dynamic one.

And I promise that's the last site news until Monday, at the very earliest. :-)

o linked javascript file
o Also by rusty

Making dynamic mode work, and Fiction section news | 61 comments (61 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Go rusty!!! [n/t] (4.00 / 2) (#1)
by sL1mB0y on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:27:33 PM EST

Dearest Rusty (5.00 / 9) (#2)
by AmberEyes on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:30:23 PM EST

Bug?

-AmberEyes

"But you [AmberEyes] have never admitted defeat your entire life, so why should you start now. It seems the only perfect human being since Jesus Christ himself is in our presence." -my Uncle Dean
nice (3.50 / 2) (#3)
by tps12 on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:36:21 PM EST

Gotta love that Microsoft® ClearTypeTM technology.

No (3.75 / 4) (#4)
by AmberEyes on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:39:33 PM EST

I run my monitors (two) at a combined total of 3200x1200, so I cut and resized it to keep filesize down. I want to make sure it remains compatible with Linux browsers.

-AmberEyes

I'm flattered (4.33 / 3) (#5)
by zaphos on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:44:55 PM EST

that you thought to take a screenshot of one of my comments...

I never knew how much you cared!

<SNIFF>

So few people seem to realize that what seems fascinating and meaningful to them is utterly meaningless and dull for the listener. -rusty

egads - DON'T CLICK ON LINK IN PARENT (3.78 / 14) (#6)
by Bob Abooey on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:56:24 PM EST

WinXP makes my eyes bleed.

Good God man, at least post a warning for those of us who are surfing at work and don't want to get into trouble by looking at that crap.

-------
When you come to a fork in the road, take it. --Yogi Berra

man? (4.00 / 2) (#16)
by floydian on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 03:39:15 PM EST

Good God man

Hmph, could've sworn AmberEyes is a woman... but I've been known to make that same mistake before.

I ARE MAN (4.83 / 6) (#21)
by AmberEyes on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 04:48:36 PM EST

HEAR ME ROAR.

Jesus, this scrolling comment thing is annoying.

-AmberEyes

Yeah.... (2.50 / 8) (#25)
by explodingheadboy on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 05:28:27 PM EST

WinXP definitely is shit. A step backwards for Microsoft if you asked me (What isn't?). They should have quit while they were ahead with 2000.

Q: If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse?
A: None! Ice cream doesn't have bones!!!

[*rmg is dying]

Sure, as long as (1.50 / 2) (#34)
by Silent Chris on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 08:12:33 PM EST

Noone posts lynx pics. That thing makes me feel like I fell back 2 decades.

Yup, I see (5.00 / 2) (#18)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 04:02:32 PM EST

Got it. This only shows up when you've got dynamic mode set for all comments, and I had it using nested under 25, so I never saw it. I've narrowed down where the problem lies, and panner is on the case. Thanks!

____
Not the real rusty
It seems to me (4.60 / 5) (#24)
by roam on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 05:12:33 PM EST

after looking at the html, that just after the <!-- end comment --> tag is displayed on this post comment page, there needs to be close and open table tags (after that closing TR tag of course).

But that's just a theory. FWIW, HTH, HAND

___
Are they like hamsters?
Specifically, can I tape up a chinchilla, slather him in axle grease, and shove him up my ass? - Patrick Bateman

Yup (none / 0) (#42)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 11:59:16 PM EST

That's basically it, though figuring out where and why that isn't happening took me a while (and I didn't quite succeed). But that is the problem. :-)

If anyone cares, a temnporary workaround is to go to your comment prefs, and in the box for "Nested up to" enter "1". So a single comment alone will display in nested mode, which doesn't have this problem.

____
Not the real rusty

Yes, bug (5.00 / 2) (#29)
by panner on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 06:56:14 PM EST

It's fixed now in Scoop CVS, though K5 doesn't have the fix yet. Since rusty had to go to Massachusetts for something or another, it might be a few days before the code gets upgraded again.

Also, the topic bug isn't fixed yet, but I know what the problem is and will probably fix later on tonight. For now, if you want your story drop-down back, go to your display prefs and turn topic images back on.

Keith Smiley
Get it right, for God's sake. Pigs can work out how to use a joysti
What part of Massachusetts, perchance? (4.66 / 3) (#7)
by leviramsey on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 02:59:11 PM EST

I'm imagining it's the chic southeast... rusty would never grace us pathetic peons west of 495 with his presence. ;o)

Western Massachusetts, let's secede! (5.00 / 2) (#10)
by CaptainSuperBoy on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 03:13:24 PM EST

And we're taking the Quabbin with us.

jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.
All hail the State of Berkshire! (5.00 / 3) (#14)
by leviramsey on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 03:25:24 PM EST

Hear! Hear!

Nah (5.00 / 2) (#22)
by nevertheless on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 04:53:13 PM EST

It would be "East New York" or maybe just "Western Mass" like it is now.

This whole "being at work" thing just isn't doing it for me. -- Phil the Canuck

I've given this some thought. (5.00 / 3) (#28)
by eann on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 06:48:40 PM EST

Some options:

• Western Massachusetts (or West Massachusetts). Advantage: it's what we already call it. Disadvantage: who has a positive opinion of West Virginia?
  • Quabbin. Advantages: would be only state that starts with a Q, at least until we annex Canada. Also, reminds Boston we can shut off the water any time we want. Disadvantages: sounds dorky, and other Native American words associated with this area aren't much better. Nonotuck? Norwottuck? Place-where-the-French-paid-us-to-kidnap-English-settlers-for-them? Plus, it'd be a real sting to have Amherst be an important city.
  • South Vermont. Advantage: we're just weird enough to pull it off. Disadvantage: Everyone would know we were weird enough to pull it off.
  • North Connecticut. Advantage: uh, no one else is using it? Disadvantages: isn't one Connecticut enough? Besides, postal abbreviation NC is taken.
  • Berkshire. Advantage: only 'B' state (see note about Canada above). Disadvantages: too many people say "berk-shYre" instead of "berk-sheer" or "berksher". And it doesn't really geographically reflect the Valley and northwestern Worcester county.
  • Newer York. Advantage: state motto could be "We'll get it right this time." Disadvantage: they'd still drive through on their way to Vermont, and probably find a way to do more damage.
  • East Dakota. This is my personal favorite. Advantages: no 'E' states (or Canadian provinces); we could lay claim to 1400 miles of the median of Interstate 90 and do stuff like build ramps to charge people toll for making a U-turn in Chicago. Disadvantage: "Dakota" is a Siouan word, and there weren't many Sioux around here—might piss somebody off. On the other hand, they're at least 1400 miles away; who cares?

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

Other alternatives (5.00 / 1) (#35)
by CaptainSuperBoy on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 08:23:23 PM EST

Great ideas.. how about:
  • New Nevada. Holyoke and Palmer would most likely get their casinos if Western Mass seceded. After all, it's that fascist Boston legislature keeping us from gambling unless it pays for the big dig.
  • Springfield. There are many cities named Springfield, but the name hasn't graced a state... yet! You get a state and a giant Simpsons reference all in one.
  • Amherst. Well I'm partial to this one. Who better to name a state after, than good old Lord Jeffrey Amherst, a prominent bioterrorist and namesake?
Of course, the Northampton crowd would probably win out, and the state would end up being called Moon-Gaia-River-Tofu or some such crap.

jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.
Ooh. I like that one. (none / 0) (#36)
by eann on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 09:23:14 PM EST

Moon-Gaia-River-Tofu it is. A former neighbor of mine once described Hampshire County as "behind the tofu curtain".

That's the Noho (*gag*) crowd, of course. The Hamp crowd (i.e. people who have been there for more than 5 years) would be more amused by the Springfield option. Having married a Hamp native, I count myself among the latter. Besides, Mike Albano, de facto governor of Even-Farther-North-Carolina, keeps reminding me of Mayor Quimby. Man, wouldn't that get the Advocate in a snit? :)

Another interesting name would be Tallahassee. Still the wrong language group, but at least it means "hilly land". If we did that, though, we'd have to put the new capitol up at Whitcomb Summit in the town of Florida. Bonus: Vermont would no longer have the only state capitol without a McDonald's.

I thought leviramsey, ragabr, and I were the only East Dakotans on K5. Whereabouts are you? We should all get together sometime when they're back at the Zoo.

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

I know of a few others... (none / 0) (#40)
by leviramsey on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 10:04:03 PM EST

...though ellF is the only one who comes to mind.

Amherst (none / 0) (#51)
by CaptainSuperBoy on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 12:09:02 PM EST

I dropped out of UMass and got a job, so here I am..

jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.
The Simpsons (5.00 / 2) (#38)
by leviramsey on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 09:57:51 PM EST

My father has been pushing for years to get the City of Springfield to cut a deal with FOX to put a museum devoted the Simpsons in downtown Springfield. He was even planning to make such a museum part of a development he was planning to do with the Ravosa building in Court Square.

Then we build the Scooby Doo museum in Hadley, bring back Kevin Eastman's cartoon museum, and the state could be named Cartoonia!

In which case... (none / 0) (#39)
by leviramsey on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 09:59:48 PM EST

We stick a $1.00 toll for the section of I-91 north of Greenfield, with the booth situated between the northernmost exit and the state line.

Welcome to Woostah (4.00 / 1) (#48)
by hans on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 04:50:48 AM EST

Dollah twenty five please

Good plan! (none / 0) (#60)
by thejeff on Thu Jan 30, 2003 at 07:18:59 PM EST

Would you like the NW part of Connecticut too? We don't really want it.

PTown. (5.00 / 2) (#13)
by aphrael on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 03:22:18 PM EST

It's time for Rusty's annual pilgrimage. :)

Eastern MA (5.00 / 1) (#54)
by some homeless guy on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 07:41:37 PM EST

Yep, we're all hip here on the east-side.

I'm confused (4.50 / 2) (#8)
by gazbo on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 03:00:12 PM EST

When submitting a story, didn't you used to have a Topic dropdown somewhere? The page tells me not to forget to choose a Topic, but there is no way of doing so...

-----
Topless, revealing, nude pics and vids of Zora Suleman! Upskirt and down blouse! Cleavage!
Hardcore ZORA SULEMAN pics!

It's still there (5.00 / 1) (#11)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 03:14:07 PM EST

In the first row of the form, there should be a Preview button, a Topic dropdown, a Section dropdown and a formatting dropdown. What do you see?

____
Not the real rusty
So... (5.00 / 2) (#15)
by gazbo on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 03:37:25 PM EST

It shouldn't look like this then?

-----
Hardcore ZORA SULEMAN pics!

No (5.00 / 3) (#19)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 04:18:47 PM EST

No, it isn't. That's really weird. What's the browser? IE, but what version? And does it happen on any other browsers, if you've got any around to test with?

____
Not the real rusty
IE6, fully patched (5.00 / 3) (#20)
by gazbo on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 04:25:56 PM EST

Same on Moz1.2.1

I'm told that the same effect is seen on WinXP (I'm on 2k) and looking at the HTML source, the drop-down is completely missing. Given the previous bug where I couldn't see the comment display (editorial/topical) dropdown I thought that this may also be a subscriber thing, but I'm told that the problem exists for a non-subscriber too.

-----
Hardcore ZORA SULEMAN pics!

i talked with panner about this in irc. (5.00 / 4) (#26)
by aphrael on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 05:53:25 PM EST

after it turned out that i get the same behavior, and trollaxor posted a story with no topic. it turns out to be related to having display of topic images with stories turned off; switching that preference back seems to cause the drop-down to come back.

Check display preferences (5.00 / 3) (#23)
by panner on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 05:09:56 PM EST

Go to your display preferences and change "Show topic images with stories" to Yes. This will bring the topic drop down back, though it'll also bring back the topic images.

It's still a bug (since that pref should only disable the images, not topics all together), but turning them on in display prefs is a simple work-around.

Keith Smiley
Get it right, for God's sake. Pigs can work out how to use a joysti
Bug (5.00 / 9) (#9)
by CaptainSuperBoy on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 03:12:22 PM EST

Dynamic mode works great except for a small bug. When there is a top-level comment with no replies, the buttons to expand and contract its subthread cause a JS error: Line 111, "Length is null or not an object". This happened on two PCs both running IE6 SP1 on Windows XP. It is the line

if(!a.length) return;

in the toggleList function. If there are no replies, a is undefined when you pass it in, so a.length causes an error.

jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.

confirmed on mozilla [n/t] (5.00 / 2) (#17)
by KnightStalker on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 03:56:48 PM EST

-1 Anything That Is NOT Site News (5.00 / 18) (#12)
by duxup on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 03:20:45 PM EST

Now I'm addicted, don't' stop!

I cannot WAIT (1.44 / 27) (#27)
by medham on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 06:04:56 PM EST

TEHE HTE SAID FUCK, TUFK FUCK tHE LATS THDO THOE SILVER BACK MIND SHARE SAID UCKF! THE SNLUER BASHERS WILL NOT BE REWORN--SNTHE THE UTCTF! BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR MIND SHARE, SILVER BACK, MINDPOOL, CRAZYLEGS HORSE SALOON, NYBORG, BRASS BALLS. 3:19pM 18:34am :12:2034R324ZM cAREFUL HOW YOU USE IT.

For the fiction section. Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

The real 'medham' has userid 6831.

Are archive diary searches *supposed* to be broke? (4.00 / 1) (#30)
by aphrael on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 07:10:27 PM EST

If I search on 'diaries by' and 'aphrael', and click 'search archive' on, it doesn't find anything more recent than feb 2002 or so.

Which is fine if it's intended, although I wish there was a way to retrieve the older stuff, and the comments, for my personal archiving purposes.

But if it *wasn't* intended, then you really ought to know that it isn't working.

what's *really wierd* (5.00 / 1) (#31)
by aphrael on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 07:12:21 PM EST

what's really wierd about it is that 'your diary' retrieves all of the entries, but 'search: diaries by: aphrael' with 'search archive' turned on doesn't.

Bug, probably (5.00 / 1) (#41)
by rusty on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 11:48:24 PM EST

There are some search-related archive bugs, and you've probably found one. I will point hulver in this direction when he asks if there are any other bugs to fix. It's not on purpose, and obviously the stuff is still there. Should be fixed soon.

____
Not the real rusty
sorry ... (none / 0) (#56)
by aphrael on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 01:55:39 AM EST

i didn't mean to be accusatory in my 'on purpose' question; i thought, as a programmer, that there might be a legitimate reason for restricting it (for performance reasons). :)

Yeah, little bug (none / 0) (#43)
by panner on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 12:30:48 AM EST

I fixed it locally, still have to check it in, and then it has to go on to K5. A line was left out so the archive was never searched.

Keith Smiley
Get it right, for God's sake. Pigs can work out how to use a joysti
Dynamic's still pretty static for me. (5.00 / 3) (#32)
by ZanThrax on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 07:38:46 PM EST

What settings do I need to twiddle in Opera to let it actually change when I click things in Dynamic? As it stands, I just get a super-quick little load indicator (or something else, it's really fast) on the status bar and then nothing changes.

We're a generation of adrenaline junkie twitch freaks with the attention span of gnats; to be considered fast paced, entertainment needs to approach sensory

I turned Javascript error reporting on. (5.00 / 2) (#33)
by ZanThrax on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 07:46:40 PM EST

Does this mean anything useful to anybody? Error: name: TypeError message: Value on left hand side of '.' is not convertible to Object: ifrmdoc.location

OK, so I've downloaded the new 7 beta 2 (none / 0) (#50)
by ZanThrax on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 10:21:50 AM EST

and it works fine. Of course it now wants to show me the "hey, pay for this" stuff again.

Opera 6 (5.00 / 1) (#37)
by ender81b on Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 09:35:17 PM EST

It doesn't work in Opera 6, no matter how much I twiddle with it. Opera 6's javascript support isn't the best, as a matter of fact it is downright horrible which is shame considering its xhtml/html/css support is absoultely great.

However, I did try it with Opera 7 beta 2 and it worked... when it didn't crash. Of course this was a beta, YMMV, etc, etc.

Opera 7b2 (5.00 / 1) (#55)
by curien on Sun Jan 26, 2003 at 07:50:38 AM EST

Haven't had a problem with it at all except (and this is a big except) it crashes with a "pure virtual function call"(!) message when you use the javascript comment rating.

Murder your babies. -- R Mutt
Don't bother with pre-v7 Opera versions (5.00 / 4) (#44)
by gusnz on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 12:47:04 AM EST

I was doing some tweaks to the dynamic comment code before the site update (which has put me royally out of sync :).

But anyway, pre-v7 Opera versions don't have great JavaScript support at all and really cannot manipulate document content on the fly. Opera 7 is much improved (proper support for innerHTML, appendChild, and most of the other required DOM1/2 standards) and I suggest you use that or try a Mozilla variant like Phoenix. Personally, since I'm addicted to tabbed browsing, I'm using MyIE2 which is a tabbed browser using the IE rendering engine -- some of you may find that useful.

Hope this clears things up a bit :).

[ JavaScript / DHTML menu, popup tooltip, scrollbar scripts... ]

Dynamic Mode in Safari? (none / 0) (#45)
by CokeFiend on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 01:30:03 AM EST

Anybody get dynamic mode working right in Safari?  I can never re-expand a collapsed top level comment or collapse an expanded sub-comment.  (It seems like it only works the first time I use it on each comment)

I tried emptying the cache and restarting Safari but no luck.  I'm running 1.0 Beta (v51) on 10.2.3.

Yeah, I've had it work fine. (nt) (none / 0) (#46)
by regeya on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 01:48:28 AM EST

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Could not collapse expanded subcomment (5.00 / 1) (#47)
by mlapanadras on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 02:55:19 AM EST

Do not hesitate to send another bugreport to Apple.

Bug in dynamic mode, Opera 7 beta 1 (none / 0) (#49)
by Filip on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 09:26:08 AM EST

Here:

When I open a comment in dynamic mode, its typeface is larger than that of the rest of the page. (See the comment labeled "Nice".)

If I close the comment again, its label in closed mode is still that larger typeface. (See the label "I'm flattered" just below.)

I realize this may be because I use a beta version, but I thought I'd report it just in case. ::))

/Filip
-- I'm just a figment of your imagination.

Happens in 7 final too. (nt) (none / 0) (#61)
by mrgoat on Sat Feb 01, 2003 at 08:22:11 PM EST

"I'm having sex right now?" - Joh3n
--Top Hat--

Galeon/Mozilla (none / 0) (#52)
by hypno on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 12:54:27 PM EST

Does this work in galeon (mozilla based)?

I can't see any difference in the comment rating functionality, and it's not cached.

Auto Format has been heavily tweaked as well. (4.00 / 2) (#53)
by Joe Groff on Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 02:32:06 PM EST

Rusty neglected to mention that a lot of problems people were having with the Auto Format posting mode have been fixed as well. If you were having trouble with it before, give it another shot!
How long must I travel on
to be just where you are?

Dynamic mode revisited (3.00 / 1) (#57)
by MotorMachineMercenary on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 10:00:48 AM EST

I only get dynamic mode with front page (and section, haven't checked) stories. Anything in diaries or mod queue does not show up as dynamic mode, even the ones with 40 or so comments.

Is this a bug or a feature?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
-- George Orwell

just a thought (none / 0) (#58)
by aphrael on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 09:51:55 PM EST

are you going to re-section the existing 'columns' stories? or will they all become 'fiction'? :)

annoying dynamic mode bug (5.00 / 2) (#59)
by infinitera on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 06:56:44 PM EST

Rating a top level post with replies makes the replies disappear (during the loading period, if that's relevant), and not come back. Using Beonex 0.8.1 (Mozilla 1.0.1 equivalent) on Win2k.

Making dynamic mode work, and Fiction section news | 61 comments (61 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)