Introducing K5 Fiction

By rusty in Site News
Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 01:50:27 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

You voted, and I must obey. The Fiction section is open for business, currently looking kind of lonely with nothing but localroger's excellent story in it. Like the rest of the site, it will be what you make of it, but for those of you who'd like guidance I've written a little below on what I'd like to see it become. Consider them some suggestions.

I don't think K5 has either the temperament or the desire to become a workshop for aspiring writers. That's not to say we can't or won't offer good and useful feedback on stories, but it's always been a give-and-take here. We're willing to comment if you (the author) give us something worthwhile to comment on. So I would rather see stories that the author considers "finished," or at least finished enough to try to publish.

Many comments in the voting process have expressed, in no uncertain terms, that they are not interested in amateur-hour stuff like slash and fanfic. Voting will tell, but my advice to prospective story submitters is that your "Kirk and Spock get it on with Xena" story is not altogether likely to shoot to the front page.

Another thing for authors to be aware of is that writers of fiction often invest a lot of personal self-esteem in their works, and are heartbroken to see them criticized by someone who doesn't have any concern for their ego. Commenters here are likely to not pull any punches. So if you're looking for coddling or gentle encouragement, you may not find what you seek. If you can take a mixture of honest criticism and callous abuse, possibly tempered with enthusiastic encouragement, you may be in the right place. You can be assured that the voters will not hesitate to tell you what's wrong with your story, and that is sometimes worth more than all the writer's support groups put together. You can also be sure that if your story gets posted, it's probably pretty good.

I know there are authors out there who can spin a good yarn, but just aren't that interested in fighting for a spot in the miniscule short fiction publishing market. Maybe you've written something that's just too odd to sell; something offbeat that doesn't fit clearly enough into any particular genre to get a publisher interested. Send us your huddled stories yearning to breathe free.

If you've got a story to tell, we have an audience who will give it a shot.

o voted
o Fiction section
o excellent story
o Also by rusty

Introducing K5 Fiction | 88 comments (88 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
My first submission to the Fiction section (4.04 / 23) (#1)
by Steve Ballmer on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 01:55:04 AM EST

"How Linux has a lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) than Windows"

bring it ot (n/t) (5.00 / 1) (#7)
by drgonzo on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 02:41:14 AM EST

Okay. (5.00 / 4) (#45)
by truth versus death on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 10:54:07 AM EST

I see your title. But the rest of your story is missing. Did Microsoft Word accidently clip it? Or did the mis-edit occur in Microsoft Explorer? Maybe an incompatibility between the .DOC format and regular ASCII text?

In other news, I'm glad Microsoft has seen fit to change their No Electronic Theft (NET) operating system to another name. This bodes well for a lower total cost of ownership by the RIAA & MPAA.

"any erection implies consent"-fae
[ Trim your Bush ]
Ficshun!!! (n/t) (1.00 / 1) (#2)
by anon868 on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 01:56:32 AM EST

Nothing to see here, move your pasty white butt along.
Open a window. No, not that one! One made from actual glass, set in an acual wall, you dork.
Yay (4.33 / 3) (#3)
by Psycho Les on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 01:58:37 AM EST

now I just hve to find some good slash sites to raid.

Obvious pun (5.00 / 1) (#9)
by roiem on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 02:44:25 AM EST

Try here
90% of all projects out there are basically glorified interfaces to relational databases.
Parent ]
glad you said that (5.00 / 2) (#4)
by janra on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 02:04:40 AM EST

glad you said that this isn't for coddling and is for polished work... those were two of the reasons I was reluctant to vote for a fiction section. So many places that publish fiction get overrun by garbage, and so many places that offer "supportive" feedback get all coddly and lose their useful critical comments.

Discuss the art and craft of writing
That's the problem with world domination... Nobody is willing to wait for it anymore, work slowly towards it, drink more and enjoy the ride more.
Recommendations only... (5.00 / 3) (#6)
by rusty on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 02:38:02 AM EST

Of course I'm in no position to enforce either of those suggestions, but I wanted to provide some kind of boost of guidance for everyone. And what better way to provide guidance than to say what I want? :-)

Not the real rusty
Somehow I don't think we will need to worry. (4.66 / 3) (#10)
by dram on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 02:46:38 AM EST

If you wanted my bet on how fiction stories will be treated I would end up leaning more to the abusive side. I can just imagine all the people who dont like the political stories "because K5 is a technology site" really hating the fiction section. And until they get use to it (a very long time off, I would think) they will heap their discontect with the section on the authors who try to use it. At least that's my take on how authors will be treated in the fiction section.

-dram
[grant.henninger.name]

k5 (4.00 / 1) (#19)
by vile on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 04:25:15 AM EST

in the end, seems to have a very high criteria by which we judge stories/articles. If you monitor the vote/edit queue closely, you will notice what gets voted down and what gets voted up. I don't think fictional stories (btw, I am biased here.. localroger's story did *rock*. Seriously. And, I don't read books!). But back to my point.. we don't have anything to worry about.. the queue moderators are not very lenient.. good quality works should hit the pages.. the rest will flame.. no different than anything else that is posted... ;)

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
Additionally.. feedback.. (4.00 / 1) (#20)
by vile on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 04:27:08 AM EST

should be very helpful to the author, even if his/her story won't ever hit the section/fp. Good thought.

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
rusty (3.00 / 7) (#5)
by Calm Horizons on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 02:33:50 AM EST

I'd just like to say that I think rusty rocks.

Woo! (5.00 / 6) (#8)
by rusty on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 02:41:44 AM EST

You can't see it but I'm doing a lame little white-boy touchdown dance over here.

Uh, uh, churn the butter, uh, uh...

Not the real rusty

Dude (n/t) (5.00 / 4) (#21)
by vile on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 04:28:46 AM EST

that's the old farmuh style... get with the times man.. ;)

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
churn the butter? (5.00 / 2) (#49)
by eudas on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 11:52:18 AM EST

disturbing, yet...

well, just disturbing really.

eudas
"Nothing is on fire, but the day is still young" -- Phil the Canuck

Choke (5.00 / 1) (#84)
by hans on Thu Jan 30, 2003 at 05:04:11 PM EST

I definitely L-O-L'ed on that one.  And I hate that acronym, so you should realize how funny the mental image was.

Oh no [nt] (4.00 / 3) (#11)
by Stick on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 02:52:42 AM EST

Stick, thine posts bring light to mine eyes, tingles to my loins. Yea, each moment I sit, my monitor before me, waiting, yearning, needing your prose to make the moment complete. - Joh3n
Coincidence? (4.50 / 4) (#12)
by kpaul on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 03:01:04 AM EST

Coincidence that the 'Spam' button and the fiction section appeared right around the same time? Hmmm....

Seriously, though, I'm looking forward to this.

I agree with the 'workshopping' comment. The Diary is a good place for that.

I'm hoping we get to see the same calibre of fiction that we do for other types of stories.

In any case, it shall be interesting...

2014 Halloween Costumes

Expanding K5's Horizons. (3.18 / 16) (#13)
by jetpack on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 03:04:36 AM EST

Fine.  There's a fiction section.  If that's the case, I suggest we have a PHOTOGRAPHY section where we can post images.  WTF not?  This website is becoming be-all-to-everyone, and I'm annoyed that a photography section has not been included.

Oh yeah, and start a "home recording" section, too.  intune.org is basically dead, and we need a site to host our attempts at musical recording.  We need a "Recording", or "Music" section, too.

While we're about it, let's add a CYCLING section.  I don't see enough articles about cycling on this website, and it's really starting to piss me off.  I like riding my bike.  I wan't to see articles about riding bikes.

All these things, photography, music, and cycling, are important to me.  Therefore they must be important to all K5 readers.  I expect all this stuff to show up on K5 soon.

/* The beatings will continue until morale improves */

Wow (5.00 / 3) (#14)
by rusty on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 03:14:04 AM EST

You know no the section wasn't added in order to personally insult you, right?

I'm puzzled at the vitriol.

Not the real rusty

I'm insulted. =( (3.00 / 1) (#15)
by mold on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 03:42:11 AM EST

Bah, it had to be today, didn't it? On meh birthday? /cry

Well, we can only wait and see how this turns out. This section feels really out of place to me, but I don't really think very much will make it to the front page, and I'll just ignore the section itself :-)

Who knows? Maybe I'll end up being a Fiction section addict.

Beware of peanuts! There's a 0.00001% peanut fatality rate in the USA alone! You could be next!

Actually (4.00 / 1) (#22)
by vile on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 04:31:25 AM EST

... thanks for posting... I totally agree.. it kinda feels out of place here.. I mean.. think about it.. new fictional works? However, I must also consider that this is a community. I must also consider that this was decided by community vote to adopt a fiction section.. and furthermore, I've enjoyed several fictional works here on k5.. so.. in the end.. it should work out fine... shouldn't it?

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
Idea (5.00 / 2) (#33)
by Cluster on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 07:48:48 AM EST

Rusty, perhaps Scoop could gain a Slashdot-like array of checkboxes, one for each section.  You could check the ones you wish to ignore and they will not appear on the front or the Everything page.  This might be a great compromise to those who were against this (and other forthcoming) seections and would be a nice addition to Scoop overall.
Thanks for the consideration.

Look, man ... (4.33 / 6) (#16)
by jetpack on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 04:01:27 AM EST

I have the deepest respect for you personally.  My previous post was not a dig against you.

However, I originally came to K5 because it was an option to not deal with slashdot (which I still read).  K5 was ultimately cool then.

Now, it's full of self-important whiners, which gets old really fast.  Not your fault, but it's true.  And a lot of the articles are political and/or self-congratulatory (look at me!  I got posted on K5!) which also gets old.

Look, if I was looking for articles/stories on everything under the sun, I'd stick to news on uunet.

It just seems like every little fucking whiner on this site (and there are a lot of them) want their way, and they get their way.  Hence, K5 is losing any focus that it ever had.  And that makes me both sad and infuriated.

My previous post was intended to be a sarcastic remark about the direction of K5.  Sorry if it sounded a bit harsh.

/* The beatings will continue until morale improves */

Actually (3.50 / 2) (#18)
by vile on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 04:20:14 AM EST

I must disagree with you, sarcasm or not. A good majority of the k5 audience wanted a new section. It was not solely localroger's thought. He just happened to be the horse it rode in on. It has been added. Plain and simple. Peace...

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
Interestingly... (5.00 / 3) (#23)
by rusty on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 04:41:42 AM EST

There was another call for a fiction section in August 2002, and we've run fiction as far back as October, 2000. And while I was searching, I stumbled across this from all the way back in February of 2000, which has nothing at all to do with this comment, but was pretty entertaining and probably no one currently reading remembers it from the first time around.

Um. Anyway, the point is this I agree with you. It has been agitated for for some time. It seemed like a decent idea that was worth a shot, and over 1K readers agreed.

Not the real rusty

Right on (4.00 / 1) (#24)
by vile on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 04:48:15 AM EST

To me, it was a good decision by the audience and yourself.. we needed a section to place stories that just really didn't fit elsewhere. On another note.. Humor? Another day.. :) Besides.. I don't think we can fit another section into the top listings without dropping it down a line.... :)

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
Additionally (4.00 / 1) (#26)
by vile on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 04:53:50 AM EST

1k readers agreed? Seriously, good decision. What were the stats on those who disagreed?

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
Check the poll link (5.00 / 2) (#27)
by rusty on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 05:00:09 AM EST

Here. 1169 for, 540 against, 246 abstaining.

Heh (4.00 / 1) (#28)
by vile on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 05:31:20 AM EST

Right on.. 2v1.. I gotta respect that decision. Thanks for the link.

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing (2.50 / 4) (#34)
by Anonymous 7324 on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 08:03:05 AM EST

but my stats class tells me that a poll such as yours, where we don't enforce participation, means that only users who feel strongly for or against the question will bother voting. In other words, there's no proof that your sampling of the population of K5 users was representative, and the way you sampled means there's a good chance it's not.

Not to say that I have a better alternative. :P

other options (4.00 / 1) (#47)
by Schnapp23 on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 11:26:27 AM EST

We could have rusty go Swiss on our asses and make voting on community issues mandatory. But that would ruin the fun now wouldn't it?

Damn your stats class! (none / 0) (#83)
by hans on Thu Jan 30, 2003 at 05:02:53 PM EST

If I listened to my stats professors, it'd take me 6 months to get any surveys done.

And many of those 540 (1.00 / 1) (#53)
by dipierro on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 12:31:24 PM EST

were people like myself who wanted the fiction section but didn't want the columns section removed.

Basic misunderstandings (4.83 / 6) (#25)
by rusty on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 04:52:03 AM EST

Yes, well, that is an apt summary of democracy. Except it's not so much every little fucking whiner as it is the majority of little fucking whiners. But that is the general idea.

Hence, K5 is losing any focus that it ever had.

Ha! K5 never had any focus. I had to be publically pestered into writing a tagline to even approach what the site was supposed to be about. And even there, I weaseled out by adding "and culture" (which is synonymous with "and everything else"). We have, at best, an extremely fuzzy focus that is prone to changing over time. New sections just make for convenient points where change becomes obvious, but the truth is it's always going on.

Not the real rusty

More of the same. (4.50 / 2) (#37)
by jetpack on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 08:29:58 AM EST

And by that admission, I am allowed to bitch about the direction of K5 as much as the little whiney bastards that complain in their diaries.   I just choose to whine about the fact that K5 is trying to do too much.  I also choose to whine about the fact that much of the K5 readership is too whiney (oh, the irony).

Look, y'all can do what you want with the K5 format.  But that doesn't mean I'll keep reading it.  And I'm certainly not paying for a membership while this place morphs itself into a political affirmation site. (and to save you some work, no, I haven't paid K5 any money yet)

Again, I know this isn't your fault, personally.  This website is based on democracy, and I applaud you for that decision.  I'm just annoyed at the unfortunate outcome.
/* The beatings will continue until morale improves */

If you want to host your OWN scoop site (5.00 / 1) (#43)
by Pinkerton Floyd on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 10:49:53 AM EST

we do scoop hosting, $24.95 a month or less!

Remember when you were young? You shone like the sun.

I'm in (3.00 / 2) (#52)
by dipierro on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 12:29:53 PM EST

if I can get the Kuro5hin.org domain name :).

heh (4.00 / 1) (#61)
by Pinkerton Floyd on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 03:11:04 PM EST

Talk to Rusty about that.  We host, we don't do Domain Name registrations.  :-)

Remember when you were young? You shone like the sun.

(puts on happy gloves) (4.00 / 1) (#58)
by Wah on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 01:25:36 PM EST

That's not irony, that's hypocrisy.

* The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Enjoy the day.
Fail to Obey?

C'mon rusty, democracy? (1.00 / 1) (#51)
by dipierro on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 12:28:47 PM EST

K5 is a democracy now? Let's have a poll asking if we should provide subscription benefits to non-subscribers.

Hell, while you're at it, add in the fine print that voting Yes also means we remove the Fiction section.

How's the non-profit coming?

Look, man (5.00 / 7) (#35)
by Rogerborg on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 08:09:54 AM EST

If you don't get that the direction and focus of K5 is determined by the participants including yourself, then you're really not going to like it here.

I'm not sure what your beef is.  That you don't want to read fiction?  Fine, don't read anything sectioned to fiction.  Problem solved.

If your problem is that you want to see more sci/tech articles, then the solution is in your hands.

"Exterminate all rational thought." - W.S. Burroughs

Likewise (4.00 / 1) (#41)
by Sap on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 10:24:47 AM EST

Likewise, Jetpack's comment wasn't added to personally insult you...  He's simply expressing his dislike of K5's new, larger scope.

I think he has a very valid point.  If fiction was added, why not photography?  Why not cycling?  Apparently as long as the majority of the K5 community wants something, it'll be added.

why not photo or music. (none / 0) (#71)
by Anonymous Hiro on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 03:41:41 AM EST

Bandwidth.

While a picture may be worth a thousand words it typically costs more than that in bandwidth.

While pictures can possibly pay their way, one may not wish to go down that path.

Don't forget an email client [NT] (3.00 / 1) (#38)
by axxeman on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 09:14:41 AM EST

Being or not being married isn't going to stop bestiality or incest. --- FlightTest

Have you considered (none / 0) (#85)
by Rogerborg on Fri Jan 31, 2003 at 12:23:58 PM EST

Contributing an article of whatever sort that you like?

Until you do, I respectfully submit that you're part of the problem, not part of the solution.

"Exterminate all rational thought." - W.S. Burroughs

Rusty (n/t) (5.00 / 3) (#17)
by vile on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 04:16:43 AM EST

I disagree... I think that'd definitely hit the FP.. :D

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
Fiction, writing (5.00 / 1) (#29)
by fernand0 on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 05:45:16 AM EST

The articles I enjoy more in K5 are the ones that k5-ers elaborate on their own: ideas, links, and original content. Maybe I would not be a fan of the fiction section but for sure there are people here able to give us good texts.

Who's going to write that one? (3.00 / 1) (#30)
by Il Maestro on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 06:16:27 AM EST

If no-one else is going to write that one, I will. To be more specific, I will let dadadodo write it for me.

Can you do a little extra coding.. (5.00 / 1) (#31)
by tonyenkiducx on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 07:04:11 AM EST

..and make sure that the fiction section is not included in the searches or indexing? I get the feeling that could be the stake in the heart for your server if you start full-text indexing 200 page long epics ;)

Tony.
I see a planet where love is foremost, where war is none existant. A planet of peace, and a planet of understanding. I see a planet called
Good Idea. (4.00 / 1) (#32)
by ambrosen on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 07:25:03 AM EST

What's the general forum for suggesting new sections and new procedures? Is it just the old whinge at an admin until they implement it, possibly putting it to a vote, or submit it as a meta story, or could there be a more formal procedure that decides what to vote on and when, and that gives everyone a chance to propose things?

Procrastination does not make you cool. Being cool makes you procrastinate. DesiredUsername.
A couple of scoop questions (4.00 / 2) (#36)
by Rogerborg on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 08:23:49 AM EST

OK, there's a story in the Fiction section.  Is there a reason why I can't see it on the Section Stories column on the left of the front page?

And is anything wrong with the voting records?  In the "voted against", I can see Rogerborg (and yes, it User Info's to me).  Um, that wasn't me, and I'm fairly sure that I logged my work desktop out last night.

Is this just a scoop snafu, or a precursor of something more sinister?

"Exterminate all rational thought." - W.S. Burroughs

Because it's an month old story (NT) (5.00 / 1) (#59)
by drivers on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 01:29:36 PM EST

Yes (5.00 / 3) (#60)
by rusty on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 01:43:11 PM EST

It's not in "Section Stories" because it was posted a month ago and I just re-sectioned it last night. You (RogerBorg) probably have forgotten voting on it originally.

Not the real rusty
+1 FP ONLY SITE NEWS (3.57 / 7) (#39)
by duxup on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 09:16:21 AM EST

Down with all the other sections, all we need is site news!

Where might it go? (4.33 / 3) (#40)
by J T MacLeod on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 09:50:29 AM EST

What I think would be nifty, and actually expect to happen, due to human nature, is the possibility of serial stories appearing, or something longer being written chapter-at-a-time.  It does seem to be the trend in many places when they start posting fiction.  Heck, there are even serial stories on k5 :)

Of course, when that is the trend, the crap to gold ratio usually starts tilting torward the crappy end.

But it'd be neat.

Yay! (4.50 / 2) (#42)
by Cro Magnon on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 10:27:02 AM EST

Now we have a section for the stuff that ends up in "politics"!
Information wants to be beer.
Serial Fiction on K5. (4.33 / 3) (#44)
by tiamat on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 10:53:59 AM EST

This is some of the best stuff I've ever read. It's really fun, funny, and well written. Captain Ledford's Log

it's great fun... (none / 0) (#62)
by janra on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 04:45:43 PM EST

Unfortunately, I think he got himself killed after declaring himself an "all-combatant" - nobody's heard from him since March, 2002.

Discuss the art and craft of writing
I'm actually trying (none / 0) (#86)
by tiamat on Fri Jan 31, 2003 at 12:43:10 PM EST

to write a story about someone who goes looking for him, but I'm not going to put it anywhere without premission for the original author.

New Front Page Poll Idea!!! (3.00 / 1) (#46)
by jabber on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 11:17:13 AM EST

You voted, and I must obey.

I propose the next poll be about the Next Great K5 Feature... And that at least one of the options be a Search capability.

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

Awww.. (4.66 / 3) (#55)
by Kwil on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 12:32:52 PM EST

..you think so small.

I mean, c'mon, if Rusty has to obey when we vote, surely you can think of something better for him to do than that.

That Jesus Christ guy is getting some terrible lag... it took him 3 days to respawn! -NJ CoolBreeze

By God! You're right! (5.00 / 1) (#57)
by jabber on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 01:01:47 PM EST

Micro-brews for EVERYBODY!

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

Work for this brewery (none / 0) (#82)
by hans on Thu Jan 30, 2003 at 04:58:00 PM EST

New Belgium Brewery in Colorado.  Employees get a case of beer EVERY WEEK.  I hear the beer's quite good too.

Stay on for a year, and you get a bicycle.  Cool.

Search (5.00 / 3) (#56)
by rusty on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 12:41:03 PM EST

Have you looked at search since the Scoop update? :-)

Not the real rusty
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! SCOOP ROCKS! [n/t] (5.00 / 1) (#80)
by tbc on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 10:35:20 PM EST

Poems? (4.00 / 1) (#48)
by srichman on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 11:51:38 AM EST

So, will we be getting poetry with the bargain? Would you guys be willing to vote it up? Fiction is one thing, but poetry is another level of beast entirely in terms of dilettantism, so it'll be interesting watching the chaff get separated.

Think of getting published? (5.00 / 3) (#50)
by Stavr0 on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 11:59:14 AM EST

Wow! Just like getting a rejection letter from a publisher ...
- - -
All your posse are belong to Andre the Giant

Hardly.. (4.80 / 5) (#54)
by Kwil on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 12:32:05 PM EST

.. most publishers don't have the time to bother telling you where you screwed up. If you can't figure it out, they don't want you.  The best you're likely to get is "No, not our style" type of response.

I hereby propose the next poll idea (3.00 / 3) (#63)
by floydian on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 05:30:59 PM EST

Should dumped stories be added as an entry to the poster's diary?

( ) Yes

( ) No

Sounds good to me (4.50 / 2) (#64)
by webmaestro on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 05:42:09 PM EST

That sounds good to me, but we might have to have a poll to see if that should be the next poll. Probably should have the option for the author if they want it posted automatically to their diary if it doesn't get posted.
Check out Worldofun.com. It's a world of fun.
Hey, what about... (5.00 / 2) (#67)
by kpaul on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 07:04:17 PM EST

if the k... er, non-existent kabal tweaks the new 'theme' code so that fiction posts will be released as a 'diary' entry for everyone but the poster. For them it would appear as if the story had made it to the FP.

2014 Halloween Costumes

No (none / 0) (#69)
by rusty on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 10:38:23 PM EST

Authors may repost them to their diary if they want. However, Diaries is not the dumped stories section. It is the diary section. Completely different thing.

Yes (2.50 / 2) (#72)
by wiredog on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 07:42:41 AM EST

A checkbox on the submit story form for 'move to diary if dumped' so it's optional.

Makes it easier to preserve the comment threads.

Wilford Brimley scares my chickens.
Phil the Canuck

The comment threads... (none / 0) (#74)
by rusty on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 12:51:16 PM EST

...are already preserved.

Not the real rusty
But you lose the context! (none / 0) (#75)
by wiredog on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 01:02:27 PM EST

Wilford Brimley scares my chickens.
Phil the Canuck

So? (5.00 / 1) (#76)
by rusty on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 01:20:05 PM EST

The story was voted down! This "move to diary" thing has always been the result of some people believing that every scrap of text is a precious flower, and all conversation must always be encouraged. I just don't buy that. We have voting to discriminate: this is good, and this is bad. There's no reason to keep the bad. I actually wish now that I had originally made the decision to lose dumped stories entirely, threads and all. Unfortunately, I didn't, and now it's been like that so long that I don't even want to think about the pain and heartache of changing it. But no one's going to convince me to weaken the decisions of voting even further.

Not the real rusty
But without the context, how do we preserve (none / 0) (#77)
by wiredog on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 01:27:51 PM EST

the zeitgeist?

I worry that my epitaph will read: "He Missed the Zeitgeist."

Wilford Brimley scares my chickens.
Phil the Canuck

Screw the Zetgeist! (none / 0) (#78)
by rusty on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 01:52:38 PM EST

That's my epitaph. :-)

Not the real rusty
"Zeitgeist" too. (none / 0) (#79)
by rusty on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 02:58:34 PM EST

Dammit.

Length? (2.00 / 1) (#65)
by sean23007 on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 06:48:41 PM EST

What is the expected length for a story in th fiction section? I mean, are people interested in a 1-2 page short story, or a 10-15 pager, or a 75-100 page novella, or a 200-300 page novel, or a 400+ page epic? The novel might have the best story or the best developed characters, but nobody would read it. Everyone might spend the time to read a 2 page story, but most of them just aren't very good.

Ultimately, I was just wondering what sort of length you guys were expecting. That said, I just submitted a 10 page story that I'm hoping isn't too long for people to sit through. After all, a web browser isn't the greatest venue for sitting and reading a long story. Did anybody else think of that problem?

Lack of eloquence does not denote lack of intelligence, though they often coincide.
Shortest short story ... (none / 0) (#66)
by kpaul on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 07:01:18 PM EST

For sale.
Baby shoes.
Never used.

----

It was attributed to Hemingway, I think.

As for K5 fiction? I think it depends on the writer. If they can 'carry' the audience for many pages, then by all means go for it. I still haven't gotten to read anything in the queue, though.

Anyone have a roundup on what fiction has been submitted so far? Any? Any worth mentioning?

2014 Halloween Costumes

Page Breaks (none / 0) (#68)
by webmaestro on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 07:07:44 PM EST

Maybe there could be some kind of page break built into scoop so if a story is very long the user has the option to have it broken into several pages instead of all being on a single page. I've noticed that some of the fiction stories that are already in the queue are relatively long, and it takes a lot of time for those to load on a slow connection (although I'm on a high speed connection at college). There is also excessive scrolling to get to any of the comments.

Perhaps the stories can be broken into several pages with links at the top and bottom of the section of the story to go to specific pages. The comments could be on the bottom of every page of the story so the user doesn't have to navigate around a lot to read the comments. The user could select how many words would be on a specific page but scoop could break on the paragraph tags as not to break up a train of though.

This could probably save a lot of bandwidth because if a person decides that they don't want to continue reading they don't have to download the entire story. Granted, text does not take up a lot of bandwidth, but I'm sure that it could add up.
Check out Worldofun.com. It's a world of fun.

Page breaks (none / 0) (#70)
by rusty on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 10:41:51 PM EST

That's a feature I've wanted to see in Scoop for a while. The way it could work is when you're submitting a story, there would be a button below "Extended copy" named something like "Add new page." Click that and it would bring up the form with another extended copy box, and a page title box. You could just add new pages as needed until you were done. Then Scoop could lay out the story with a page count and set of links at the bottom, and have the next page's "title" linked as well. I'm thinking of the way Salon does multi-page stories here. I think that would be keen. Hopefully someone decides to code it eventually. :-)

Not the real rusty
Feature request (3.62 / 8) (#73)
by AmberEyes on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 10:27:07 AM EST

Move the voting button and pull-down menu to the top of all Fiction stories, so I don't have to scroll down so long to -1 Dump It.

Thx.

-AmberEyes

"But you [AmberEyes] have never admitted defeat your entire life, so why should you start now. It seems the only perfect human being since Jesus Christ himself is in our presence." -my Uncle Dean
Section review session? (4.33 / 3) (#81)
by Mwongozi on Thu Jan 30, 2003 at 08:04:25 AM EST

Would it be feasable to have a regular "section review session"? In which I mean, a way in which we could decide whether we like the current sections, whether we want new ones, etc. I think it could be boiled down to a single page that everyone gets to vote on every, say, six months, or something. It could look like this:

Diaries    [ ]Keep [ ]Ditch
Technology [ ]Keep [ ]Ditch
Science    [ ]Keep [ ]Ditch

etc... Followed by some text boxes for the names of any new sections we want. If any "new" topics get a significant number of submissions, they could be put up for public vote, just like the fiction section was.

And whether we keep the existing sections depends on the results of the vote, obviously.

Beat to death (none / 0) (#87)
by travlight on Mon Feb 10, 2003 at 10:10:21 AM EST

We certainly have wasted enough space and time to the subject. Should we not consider more important things like the meaning of life? I personaly like the forum here, but I am a little tired of the borish remarks.... come on something good and crunchy to post about.
Go in peace.... or not, just go
oh goodie (none / 0) (#88)
by ibbie on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 12:17:30 AM EST

somewhere else to post my inane dreams and nightmares.

george washington not only chopped down his father's cherry tree, but he also admitted doing it. now, do you know why his father didn't punish him? because george still had the axe in his hand.
Introducing K5 Fiction | 88 comments (88 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)