New Sponsor

By rusty in Site News
Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 12:48:36 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

If you look up there on the right side of the page, you'll notice that we have a new sponsor and are saying goodbye to a former sponsor. I expect there will be questions, so I thought a Site News was in order to provide a good place to ask them.

First, I'd like to thank Promicro one more time for the servers they gave us. They've stood up well, and were a huge help when we found ourselves stuck for hardware.

Second, I want to welcome JohnCompanies to the K5 Sponsors box. You've probably seen their textad before, but it's worked so well that they wanted more exposure, so we worked out a one year sponsorship agreement.

Actually, I don't know that there's much more to say than that. If the formatting of the new ad looks weird or anything, please let me know. If you've got any questions, this is the place to ask them.

o Promicro
o JohnCompan ies
o Also by rusty

New Sponsor | 70 comments (70 topical, editorial, 1 hidden)
well (4.75 / 4) (#1)
by jcolter on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 01:00:28 AM EST

Not to to be picky as it seems that the vast majority of people here have had a very good experience with the company.

The only complaint I can anticipate is the unconventional use of the term collocation.

Heh (5.00 / 1) (#5)
by rusty on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 01:19:12 AM EST

It's an unconventional and rare, yet indisputably correct, spelling. Myself, I'd go with the more common "Co-located," but he seems fond of his version.

____
Not the real rusty
Even more indisputably correct than that.... (4.00 / 3) (#11)
by NFW on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 02:25:50 AM EST

Dictionary.com is wrong wrong wrong.

The conspiracy theorist in me says Dictionary.com picked it up from him, not the other way 'round. When I emailed him about the error of his "collocated" ways many months ago (a year ago?), he said there was no such word so he could spell it any way he pleased. I countered with the Merriam Webster entry, he was silent. A month or two later, he whips out the Dictionary.com reference. Coincidence?

I can understand doubling a letter when adding a suffix... set => setting, run => runner, etc. But how often does that get done for a prefix? That's an honest question... I can't think of any, but maybe I'm just wrong wrong wrong myself.

Besides, the first "o" in "collocated" looks like it should rhyme with with first "o" in "bollocks." Coincindence?

Besides^2, "collocated" makes my skin crawl. It just ain't right.

Got birds?

I'll take your Webster, and raise an OED (5.00 / 3) (#19)
by martingale on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 06:37:49 AM EST

Moreover, mine is in meatspace, which trumps your puny cyber version ;-)

collocation n. The action of collocating; the state of being collocated; a disposition, and arrangement; spec. in Ling., (esp. habitual) juxtaposition or association of a particular word with other particular words, a group of words so associated.

collocate v. 1. v. t. Place side by side or in some relation; set in a place or position; spec. in Ling., juxtapose (a word) with another so as to form a collocation. 2. v. i. Ling. Be habitually juxtaposed with, form a collocation.

So in other words, it's a recursive description of the ad itself. Très geeky, and somewhat GNUish.

Dictionary Poker! (4.50 / 4) (#26)
by wiredog on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 08:07:55 AM EST

The game of language geeks!

Wilford Brimley scares my chickens.
Phil the Canuck

What's the pronunciation? (none / 0) (#48)
by NFW on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 08:20:52 PM EST

Most importantly, does it rhyme with bollocks?

Got birds?

pronounciation (none / 0) (#49)
by martingale on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 09:05:51 PM EST

I didn't copy the pronounciation, because html doesn't have the right symbols. However, I just checked and it does rhyme with bollocks. Cahlahcaite.

See comment #21. (4.00 / 1) (#24)
by i on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 07:12:34 AM EST

It was meant to be here. Also, the last sentence is incomplete, it should read ... for a reason.

and we have a contradicton according to our assumptions and the factor theorem

Did you try... (4.66 / 3) (#35)
by mech9t8 on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 11:42:38 AM EST

...looking up collocated in M-W?  It's there. ;)

But... I think it's a completely different word.  The definition and pronounciation of colocated seems to be a better match for the common IT usage...

IMHO

agreed (5.00 / 1) (#37)
by drivers on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 12:15:20 PM EST

You koh'-loh'-kate (colocate) servers not kah'-luh-kate' (collocate) them.

And it rhymes with... (none / 0) (#47)
by NFW on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 08:20:00 PM EST

Bollocks!

Which about sums up my feelings on the matter.

Got birds?

fun with etymology (5.00 / 1) (#42)
by Shpongle Spore on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 03:37:49 PM EST

All sorts of funny things happen with prefixes and suffixes; they generally change to be easier to pronounce and/or to fit conventional spelling rules better. This can involve adding, changing, or dropping letters.

Some examples:

• correlate = co(n) + relate
  • immigrate = in + migrate
  • emigrate = ex + migrate
  • illiterate = in + literate
  • suppose = sub + pose
  • cryptography = crypt + graph + y
  • nonagon = non + gon

__
I wish I was in Austin, at the Chili Parlor bar,
drinking 'Mad Dog' margaritas and not caring where you are
What a terrible language! (none / 0) (#58)
by Viliam Bur on Fri Feb 14, 2003 at 12:31:47 PM EST

Then, probably
  English = in + glish

English is a tough stuff!

Yes and No. (none / 0) (#67)
by static on Mon Mar 03, 2003 at 09:53:40 PM EST

Yes, English is a terrible language. No, the name came from "Angle-ish" which sort of just developed as Old English emerged when the Angles, Saxons and Jutes settled in what is now England ("angle-land").

Wade.

I can tell you why.. (none / 0) (#57)
by vile on Thu Feb 13, 2003 at 03:17:54 PM EST

at least from how I've come to understand the two terms - I posted a comment in this thread discussing why I think people are often confused by the term collocation (which is as correct, if not more so) than the term colocation or co-location. Personally, I think co-location looks the best.. ;)

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
I'll be damned (5.00 / 2) (#17)
by jcolter on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 03:52:35 AM EST

What I was referring to was the conventional understanding of co-location, being the locating of a customer's hardware. But I guess the authorities have spoken!

It's virtual collocation. (none / 0) (#23)
by i on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 07:10:26 AM EST

Cuz jail is virtual hardware.

and we have a contradicton according to our assumptions and the factor theorem

Can I pay you (none / 0) (#44)
by dipierro on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 06:56:22 PM EST

with virtual money?

Sure. (5.00 / 2) (#45)
by i on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 07:12:35 PM EST

You don't have to haul around pieces of gold these days! We accept several kinds of virtual money: bank notes, credit cards...

Please pay me with virtual money! 'Specially because I'm in no way related to these guys :)

and we have a contradicton according to our assumptions and the factor theorem

It would be fine.. (5.00 / 1) (#20)
by Protagonist on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 06:42:14 AM EST

..if the service he's providing actually was co-location. But it just isn't.

----
Hahah! Your ferris-wheel attack is as pathetic and ineffective as your system of government!
He does that too... (none / 0) (#41)
by mold on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 03:31:22 PM EST

Well, unless my brain has been fried by reading all these arguments, he does do it in the traditional sense. Only it's listed as dedicated server on his site.

All in all, I've been using his FreeBSD server for over a year now, and it's been a great experience for me.

Beware of peanuts! There's a 0.00001% peanut fatality rate in the USA alone! You could be next!

For $65/month? [nt] (none / 0) (#46)
by NFW on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 08:18:50 PM EST

Got birds?

Nope, $105/month. -nt- (none / 0) (#59)
by mold on Sat Feb 15, 2003 at 04:37:24 AM EST

Maybe this isn't so bad (none / 0) (#70)
by daviddennis on Thu Mar 27, 2003 at 05:59:20 PM EST

He's made up his own term to describe the service, knowing how much any claim that it's an actual "Co-Located" server annoys people.

So it's a "collocated" server and therefore ... different!

Co-Located Virtual Server is, after all, a bit of a mouthful.

D
amazing.com has amazing things.

You may be interested to know (none / 0) (#56)
by vile on Thu Feb 13, 2003 at 03:12:00 PM EST

... that collocation is the term most often used in the Telcom industry and not the Service Provider industry, from my experience. Central Office Collocation (p.s. getting a cage in the CO w/ a Qwest Collocation badge for 24/7 entry is.. fun ;). That sort of thing. Co-Location, or colocation, seems to be used more often within the arena of service providers and not transports. Hence, it is more widely known, as Telco's rarely advertise for Collocation and Service Providers rarely use the term - creating a misconception. ;) Our data center uses the term Collocation.

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
Collocation is correct. (4.60 / 5) (#21)
by i on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 07:02:39 AM EST

Colocation is a relatively modern corruption, though it is more widespread today. See, the Latin co- prefix (variant of com-) doubles the following l or r consonant everywhere: linear — collinear; labour — collaborate; legal — college, colleague; lateral — collateral; lapse — collapse; rectify — correct; relate — correlate and so on.

Dictionary.com has an entry for collocate, but not for colocate.

and we have a contradicton according to our assumptions and the factor theorem

Oops... reply to wrong comment. (none / 0) (#22)
by i on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 07:08:02 AM EST

Same thread though.

and we have a contradicton according to our assumptions and the factor theorem

Another perspective... (none / 0) (#50)
by NFW on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 11:21:21 PM EST

If he uses the term "collocation," how many people are going to think or say, "two Ls? That ain't right..."

If he uses the term "colocation," how many people are going to think or say, "one L? That ain't right..."

Admittedly I don't know the answer with certainty, but still I strongly suspect that fewer people will think him wrong with the latter spelling. If I were trying to get people to give me money in exchange for a technical service, I'd be trying hard to avoid giving them the impression that I couldn't spel rite.

But maybe it's just me.

Got birds?

answers (none / 0) (#60)
by rizzo242 on Wed Feb 19, 2003 at 01:01:07 AM EST

Quite a few so far.

0. That's the problem.

"So I went out to the bar and ordered a beer. I felt like I was rizzo242 on one of his jaunts. It was surreal." --Parent ]
Yay. (5.00 / 2) (#2)
by terpy on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 01:03:07 AM EST

JohnCompanies is where my incredibly craptastic personal website sits, and it's groovy. I must say I like 'em even more now that they are a sponsor.

+Many Points for being cool.

"I may be wrong, but I have arrived at my wrongness through expensive and respectable means."--ghjm

Also, even though ProMicro provided hardware, (none / 0) (#3)
by terpy on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 01:05:05 AM EST

the JohnCompanies logo (err, hyperlink) won't take me a few months to adjust my picky eyes to.

Yellow (none / 0) (#6)
by rusty on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 01:20:57 AM EST

I kind of miss the yellow. It gave a touch of aceent color to the page, I think. But what the hey. I figured there'd be less complaint with this revision, being as it's standard colors and strictly html.

____
Not the real rusty
Color can be nice, (5.00 / 1) (#7)
by terpy on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 01:28:50 AM EST

but I fear change. Especially change that I can notice. ;)

Oh no! Now the blue is overwhelming! (5.00 / 1) (#9)
by jt on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 01:41:53 AM EST

There's no yellow to offset it! Panic setting in... can't breathe... *gack* X_X

Now that you mention it... (5.00 / 1) (#10)
by zeta on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 01:56:01 AM EST

The blue *is* overwhelming. Thankfully there's still the orange border around the text ad, but how long can it hold out alone?

Except for comment pages (5.00 / 1) (#13)
by jt on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 02:53:50 AM EST

We get no reprieve there :(

Ahhh (5.00 / 1) (#15)
by rusty on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 03:26:59 AM EST

Sweet soothing blue...

____
Not the real rusty
Shocking (5.00 / 1) (#18)
by DullTrev on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 04:24:06 AM EST

Colour fascist. Will you stop before the whole damn world is just shades of blue?

DullTrev - used to be interesting. Honest.
Odd, too, given his name is Rusty ;-) [nt] (none / 0) (#25)
by Gromit on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 08:05:49 AM EST

"The noble art of losing face will one day save the human race." - Hans Blix

Hey, I like blue too (5.00 / 2) (#29)
by jt on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 10:24:02 AM EST

But I prefer navy blue.  Not that sickly #006699, "the Color of Community".

Typical... (4.16 / 12) (#4)
by Steve Ballmer on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 01:13:12 AM EST

I guess you're just blowing off my offer of converting K5's backend to Microsoft BackOffice?

oh no! (5.00 / 2) (#31)
by nooper on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 10:34:42 AM EST

I cant outsmart Shakira!!

1300 to 900 (she doesnt know jack!) n/t (none / 0) (#66)
by vyesue on Thu Feb 27, 2003 at 12:13:05 AM EST

Tell him to get a logo (4.83 / 6) (#8)
by Stick on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 01:29:18 AM EST

It looks odd now.

Stick, thine posts bring light to mine eyes, tingles to my loins. Yea, each moment I sit, my monitor before me, waiting, yearning, needing your prose to make the moment complete. - Joh3n
Klunky indeed (5.00 / 2) (#14)
by imrdkl on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 03:00:11 AM EST

Put the price down by the comments link, perhaps. 1.5 lines looks klunky and amateurish.

Or as the first bullet point or something (nt) (none / 0) (#16)
by Ranieri on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 03:36:15 AM EST

PS: thanks for being a sponsor, johncompanies.com
Taste cold steel, feeble cannon restraint rope!
Yeah, I thought it looked weird (none / 0) (#12)
by fluffy grue on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 02:34:26 AM EST

Could you, you know, change the link to johncompanies to have a style="text-color:#bb0;" or something in it?
"Is not orange" is not orange.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.

Cats: Nature's entropy generators

[ Hug Your Trikuare

Actually, (none / 0) (#43)
by ambrosen on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 03:44:41 PM EST

I'm not too fond of the link as it is. Could you have it style="text-decoration:blink" or something. Maybe plain.

Procrastination does not make you cool. Being cool makes you procrastinate. DesiredUsername.
Looks weird (4.25 / 4) (#27)
by DesiredUsername on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 08:58:59 AM EST

You mean other than the fact that it's HUGE? The "title" takes 2 lines and the UL below that seems double-spaced or something.

Play 囲碁
About the comments on the Collocation ad... (3.00 / 6) (#28)
by inertia on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 10:06:41 AM EST

I don't think its very professional looking to have a forum for the ad with 180+ comments in it on the front page. The voxel.net people don't get their own free support forum on K5, why should JohnCompanies?

Comments (4.50 / 2) (#38)
by rusty on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 12:58:54 PM EST

Voxel would have a comment page if they wanted one. AFAIK they don't.

____
Not the real rusty
what's the Foo bar to become a sponsor? (none / 0) (#55)
by sye on Thu Feb 13, 2003 at 02:15:51 PM EST

auto reply to ekashp@cyberspace.org if a round number exists. thanx.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
commentary - For a better sye@K5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ripple me ~~> ~allthingsgo: gateway to Garden of Perfect Brightess in CNY/BTC/LTC/DRK
rubbing u ~~> ~procrasti: getaway to HE'LL
Hey! at least he was in a stable relationship. - procrasti
enter K5 via Blastar.in

I was going to say something similar (5.00 / 4) (#39)
by DesiredUsername on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 01:07:02 PM EST

but after browsing the comments I actually kinda like it. How many other ads come with built-in complaints?

Play 囲碁
Text Ads and Subscribers (3.00 / 2) (#30)
by Ruidh on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 10:26:01 AM EST

The one thing I miss with my Subscription is the text ads which are generally more interesting than the sponsorship ads in the upper right. Perhaps an option for subscribed users to see text ads as well?

"Laissez-faire is a French term commonly interpreted by Conservatives to mean 'lazy fairy,' which is the belief that if governments are lazy enough, the Good Fairy will come down from heaven and do all their work for them."
I believe there is an option (5.00 / 1) (#32)
by leviramsey on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 10:47:04 AM EST

...for subscribers to see text ads.

Ask and you shall notice.. (5.00 / 2) (#33)
by Wah on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 10:47:38 AM EST

..that the option already exists.  Check your various preference options.
The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. -- Joseph Joubert. ...
Sorry, I don't see it (none / 0) (#34)
by Ruidh on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 10:57:37 AM EST

I checked User Preferences, Display Preferences Comment Preferences and even Renew Subscription.

It's the first dropdown box in User Pref's (nt) (5.00 / 1) (#36)
by drivers on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 12:01:23 PM EST

Misread that (5.00 / 2) (#40)
by John Milton on Wed Feb 12, 2003 at 02:39:23 PM EST

I thought for a minute that you were going to say that JohnCompanies donated hardware. I was going to say something about the fact that the servers were only operating system processes. It doesn't seem prudent to make yourself dependent on hardware that you can't take with you.

Spelling Flame (5.00 / 2) (#52)
by ewhac on Thu Feb 13, 2003 at 02:30:28 AM EST

Might you wield enough influence to get your new sponsor to spell 'Co-Located' correctly?

Schwab
Editor, A1-AAA AmeriCaptions. Priest, Internet Oracle.

Don't (none / 0) (#53)
by rusty on Thu Feb 13, 2003 at 02:35:03 AM EST

Seriously, just don't get into it. If you're curious, you can read the thread already in this article, or any of the several in the ad comments. My advice, though, is totally don't get involved in this argument. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
I already tried (none / 0) (#61)
by rizzo242 on Wed Feb 19, 2003 at 01:09:34 AM EST

in person, no less. rusty's like switzerland on this one, and it's probably for the best.
like switzerland (none / 0) (#62)
by rusty on Wed Feb 19, 2003 at 05:14:43 PM EST

Ha! That's a good way to put it. I have no position and will simply spell it however John says he wants to spell it. My personal opinion is that collocated is a little confusing, but co-located would be pretty much incorrect, and that "virtual dedicated servers" is probably the most accurate description of the actual service. But collocation is not wrong either, so hey. Whatever. Mostly I think it's a silly argument about something that is instantly made clear in all of the info about the actual service.

____
Not the real rusty
well (none / 0) (#64)
by rizzo242 on Fri Feb 21, 2003 at 04:04:42 PM EST

a fair percentage of us did come from The Other Site...
Um (none / 0) (#65)
by rusty on Fri Feb 21, 2003 at 04:10:55 PM EST

Was that a total non-sequitur or am I missing some crucial connection?

____
Not the real rusty
Ad should say "virtual" somewhere (5.00 / 13) (#54)
by Nathan Dial on Thu Feb 13, 2003 at 01:14:51 PM EST

The typical use of the term "co-location" (or collocation, I don't care how you spell it) is to speak of a client bringing their (physical) server or servers to a managed hosting facility and renting space and bandwidth in the server room for it.  This typically starts at $100/month for very basic service, or more like $300/month for basic service on someone else's hardware.

As people who have looked into this service know, the $65/month "Root on your own FreeBSD or Linux server" is not root on your own physical server, but on a virtual server, that shares the same resources as other virtual servers.  It is a root account, and a very nice hosting arrangement for many purposes, but it is not "your own server" any more than a network share on a disk is "your own hard drive."  I've seen other k5 text ads for such "virtual hosting" --that said "virtual"-- starting at $29/month.  The old text ad always felt misleading, and now it's up there on every page and it bothers me.   I'm sure I'm not the only one who is bothered by this.

Would it turn away customers to add one word to the advertisement?  If it wouldn't, then why not do it and make some potential customers feel better about the company's honesty in advertising?  If it would turn customers away, isn't that a sign that the current text is misleading?

what the heck kind of name is (2.00 / 4) (#68)
by phred on Thu Mar 13, 2003 at 05:11:12 PM EST

pornmicro?

ok nm (3.00 / 2) (#69)
by phred on Thu Mar 13, 2003 at 05:13:43 PM EST

I've found a better font to read with.

New Sponsor | 70 comments (70 topical, 0 editorial, 1 hidden)