What is the passed tense of "ping"

By kmself in Technology
Wed Nov 22, 2000 at 11:04:08 PM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

From The Register, Mike Muuss, the author of the network utility ping, was killed November 21 in an auto accident.

Mike has several legacies, but the one most familiar is a little thousand-line utility coded up one night which simply tests to see whether or not a network host is responding.

RIP Mike, deepest regrets.

o The Register
o was killed November 21 in an auto accident
o Also by kmself

What is the passed tense of "ping" | 31 comments (28 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)
probably "pinged" (1.38 / 13) (#3)
by delmoi on Wed Nov 22, 2000 at 07:28:20 PM EST

although "pung" sounds kind of cool "My box was just pung." You might be able to get away with 'pang' as in: "His box needs to be pang", I'm not so sure about that one.
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman
Hmmm. (4.00 / 4) (#6)
by Dolgan on Wed Nov 22, 2000 at 08:02:07 PM EST

Have you ever considered reading the story?

<p>That'd be great. Thanks.

Yes (none / 0) (#30)
by delmoi on Fri Nov 24, 2000 at 05:54:41 PM EST

I read the story, the post was a joke. Trying to play off the humor in the headline of the story.
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman
Pong (3.00 / 11) (#5)
by jabber on Wed Nov 22, 2000 at 07:47:11 PM EST

That's what a pinged (DAMN!) server responds.. PONG.
ping ... pong
ping ... pong

It's always a sad day when a giant falls.
So long, and thanks for all the bits.

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

Should be Pung (1.55 / 9) (#7)
by TimL on Wed Nov 22, 2000 at 08:03:27 PM EST

Personally, I think the past tense of 'ping' should be ‘pung’, but according to this Slashdot poll, it’s ‘pinged’.

----
"Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
Obviously: (2.18 / 11) (#8)
by the Epopt on Wed Nov 22, 2000 at 08:04:19 PM EST

Now I ping the host, yesterday I pang the host, tomorrow I will have pung the host.
Most people who need to be shot need to be shot soon and a lot.
Very few people need to be shot later or just a little.

K5_Arguing_HOWTO
Pinging Mike Muss with 32 bits of data (4.25 / 16) (#9)
by Pac on Wed Nov 22, 2000 at 10:43:45 PM EST

I confess that I never knew who wrote ping until this moment, but it does not make this note less sad. The people who made the internet as we know it are going away. Ping is the second or third command one learns. But no one remembers to tell you who wrote it.

As a side comment, kuro5hin should have an emergency line with a post threshold of half the normal number of votes.

Mike Muss haven't died, he just timed out.

Evolution doesn't take prisoners

modesty (4.37 / 8) (#18)
by SEAL on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 05:15:35 AM EST

I think this brings up something we should all keep in mind. Most of the people who developed the "building blocks" of the Internet were very modest and generous with their creations. This is in sharp contrast to, say, those who developed TSRs for MSDOS, which spammed a couple credit lines every time they loaded.

I DO believe in giving credit where credit is due. I also think it's nice when people don't ask for it, but just want to make their contributions available. The best way we can honor someone like Mike is to do the same. If you have a little free time, it's nice to give something back for everyone to enjoy.

Best regards,

SEAL

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

i think it's (1.33 / 18) (#10)
by Wah on Wed Nov 22, 2000 at 10:53:02 PM EST

virii
Fail to Obey?
RIP (nt) (1.25 / 4) (#11)
by Wah on Wed Nov 22, 2000 at 10:55:22 PM EST

Fail to Obey?
My condolences (3.61 / 13) (#12)
by kovacsp on Wed Nov 22, 2000 at 11:07:21 PM EST

I never knew who wrote ping either, I'm sad to say. My condonlences to his family...

As for the past tense of 'ping':

I saw a linguistics lecture at MIT or Harvard on CSPAN last year sometime. Anyway, the relevant info was that when a word is taken and applied to a new context, the other tenses of the word tend to be those that are "regular".

For example, "The batter flied out in the 3rd inning" not "The batter flew out in the 3rd inning". Even though the past tense of fly is flew, since it is a new meaning, the past tense is flied. The lector said it much better, but he had all sorts of diagrams. Watch for it sometime.

Anyway, the short of it is, since ping is a new context (i.e. its not the sound a metal object makes when struck), the past tense is probably pinged. However, as always in language, it is what it is. If you and all your friends say pung, then by definition the past tense is pung! Have fun with that!

sad :( (2.85 / 7) (#13)
by gregholmes on Wed Nov 22, 2000 at 11:23:53 PM EST

Goodbye and thank you.

Mike Muuss (4.33 / 12) (#15)
by strawser on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 02:30:23 AM EST

I think most of the people who've posted so far don't get the sad irony of the question. Most don't now who Mike Muuss is, and have never read what he wrote - though they've certainly run the binary version of at least one of the things he wrote. "What is the pastence of Ping" was a /. poll. Answers include such things as pong, 100% packet loss, etc. All very funny, one of my favorite /. polls. But being funny now would be kind of inappropriate, in MHO.

The pastense of ping is "Good night, Mr. Muuss. Sleep well. The sun has set on you, but not on your contributions."

That's just the way I see things.

E.

"Traveler, there is no path. You make the path as you walk." -- Antonio Machado

"Traveler, there is no path. You make the path as you walk." -- Antonio Machado
appriopriateness of humor (4.16 / 6) (#19)
by h2odragon on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 06:14:33 AM EST

"If you can't laugh at death, what can you laugh at?"

The story of ping (4.22 / 9) (#17)
by h2odragon on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 03:55:36 AM EST

The Story of Ping. Worth poking around the rest of his site; ping was not his only contribution to the foundations of the net as she is known today.

The other story of Ping (3.00 / 1) (#20)
by CaseyB on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 08:37:31 AM EST

Here is another story of ping. Have a look at John Frasisco's review.

Oops (3.00 / 1) (#21)
by CaseyB on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 08:40:26 AM EST

I swear I didn't know my link was cited in the original "story of ping" page!

good bye (3.50 / 2) (#22)
by macewan on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 09:19:57 AM EST

and thank you...
macewan
Salute? (4.57 / 7) (#23)
by Wiglaf on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 11:33:04 AM EST

Maybe a 21 ping salute? But that may be mistaken for a ping flood.

Too bad no one has gathered a biography of all the founding fathers of the internet. You know that guy who came up with tcp-ip and the fellow who figured out HTML. Just a page or 2 on each of them in a big hard cover book.

Paul: I DOMINATE you to throw rock on our next physical challenge.
Trevor: You can't do that! Do you really think Vampires go around playing rock paper sissors to decide who gets to overpower one another?
"Passed" tense? (2.80 / 5) (#24)
by davidduncanscott on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 12:30:29 PM EST

Is this a pun or a typo?

That said, I'd ask somebody in the navy about the past tense, or at least I assume that the term "ping" is derived from sonar.

Pun (none / 0) (#26)
by kmself on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 05:34:13 PM EST

As I'd already indicated in an editorial comment.

The passed tense of ping is: "RIP Mike. Deepest regrets".

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Pun (3.00 / 1) (#29)
by davidduncanscott on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 10:17:08 PM EST

Yes, of course you did, and I scanned right by it. My apologies.

re: "Passed" tense? (none / 0) (#28)
by strawser on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 07:50:04 PM EST

> I assume that the term "ping" is derived from sonar.

That it is. Mike Muuss said he named it after the sonar term. Sonor opperators send out some information and see if it bounces and returns. If it does, there was a ping, and something exists on the other end. Much like it does with the program ping.

A lot of people think it stands for Packet InterNet Grouper, or something like that, but it does not.

Eric

"Traveler, there is no path. You make the path as you walk." -- Antonio Machado
Ping pang pung "gepingt" (2.25 / 4) (#25)
by deuterium on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 03:14:49 PM EST

We (in holland) usualy say "gepingt". gepu(a/o/u/e)ngt sounds weird.. conclusion? euhm. speak dutch?
--deuterium (http://www.koelkast.net)
Re: Ping pang pung "gepingt" (none / 0) (#32)
by isk on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 09:44:16 AM EST

That would be 'gepingd', thank you very much!

The little things (4.00 / 4) (#27)
by swr on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 05:36:05 PM EST

Probably everyone in the tech industry, and quite a few people who aren't, have used ping. And yet it is such a simple program - it is more technical than most programs of its size, but almost anyone could have written it.

Although Muuss was a professional, Ping proves that you don't need to be a hard-core programmer to contribute in a real way. A one-KLOC piece, set Free (Ping was public-domain), can touch the world.

I've seen it myself. Although none of my works have had anywhere near the popularity of ping.c, I know my code is being used for important tasks in many places, and is probably being used even more in places I haven't a clue about. Free code is like that - it really does take on a life of its own.

*                      P I N G . C
 * Using the Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) "ECHO" facility,
 * measure round-trip-delays and packet loss across network paths.
 * Author -
 *      Mike Muuss
 *      U. S. Army Ballistic Research Laboratory
 *      December, 1983
 * Status -
 *      Public Domain.  Distribution Unlimited.
 * Bugs -
 *      More statistics could always be gathered.
 *      This program has to run SUID to ROOT to access the ICMP socket.

might as well call it ... (1.00 / 1) (#31)
by m0dus on Mon Nov 27, 2000 at 05:08:46 PM EST

Muuss! Name it after it's creator. example: I muuss the box until it replied. Hey, I thought it sounded good.

Strangely enough (1.00 / 1) (#33)
by samsara on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 10:09:56 AM EST

Strangely enough, this man died as well: http://www.golfonline.com/news/2000/obits/karstensolheim0216.html