16th IOCCC begins

By codemonkey_uk in Technology
Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 11:47:05 AM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

It was announced today (1st of October, 2001) that The 16th International Obfuscated C Code Contest is now open, and that entries can be submitted up until 1st of December 2001 (23:59:59 UTC).

The goals for the contest are stated as:
  • To write the most Obscure/Obfuscated C program under the rules below.
  • To show the importance of programming style, in an ironic way.
  • To stress C compilers with unusual code.
  • To illustrate some of the subtleties of the C language.
  • To provide a safe forum for poor C code. :-)
The rules can be found here: http://www.ioccc.org/rules.html

o Internatio nal Obfuscated C Code Contest
o http://www .ioccc.org/rules.html
o Also by codemonkey_uk

16th IOCCC begins | 9 comments (8 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)
Don't know if this counts.... (2.80 / 5) (#1)
by Elkor on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 09:14:34 AM EST

But my favorite piece of ConfusaCode is to replace all "while(1)" with "for(;;)"

It was always good for getting marked "wrong" on an exam, and then getting the points back when pointed out to the instructor.

Regards,
Elkor

"I won't tell you how to love God if you don't tell me how to love myself."
-Margo Eve
Alternatively, (4.33 / 3) (#2)
by claudius on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 10:32:42 AM EST

More entertaining is to abuse the "[]" array notation in such a construct:

{

int i = 0, a[1] = {1};

while (i[a] == a[i]) { ... }

}

Needless to say, neither of these pedestrian tricks is even on the same planet as the IOCCC finalists' work. These folks are true artisans--go visit the site and be blown away.

Which also applies to strings... (5.00 / 1) (#6)
by SIGFPE on Tue Oct 02, 2001 at 08:45:29 PM EST

...so you can say 3["hello"] instead of 'l'.
SIGFPE
Incidentally... (5.00 / 1) (#4)
by fluffy grue on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 01:42:10 PM EST

for (;;) is the current de-facto standard way of doing an unconditional loop, since it's a lot more recognizable than while (1). In fact, gcc -Wall makes a specific recommendation to this effect.

Of course, it's typically better to not use unconditional loops to begin with...
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

That's not very obfuscatory (4.00 / 1) (#5)
by pfaffben on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 10:11:18 PM EST

But that's the standard way to write an infinite loop. If you think it's obfuscatory (or your instructor does) then you just haven't read much idiomatic C code written by C programmers (as opposed to C students).

So, um ... (none / 0) (#7)
by spcmanspiff on Fri Oct 05, 2001 at 02:50:06 AM EST

Any of y'all thinking of entering? Codemonkey?

I'm considering it. I think I've got a pretty nifty idea, but I'm doubtful as to whether I'll fit it into space limits or not.

Yeah (none / 0) (#8)
by codemonkey_uk on Mon Oct 08, 2001 at 11:32:20 AM EST

I'll submit something. Probably not as good as last year though...
Thad
Good for you! (none / 0) (#9)
by spcmanspiff on Wed Oct 10, 2001 at 04:55:58 PM EST

Do you have a general theme/idea yet?

Side Q: You're a games programmer, right? ... got any suggestions as to any sneaky ways of obfuscating/compressing 4x4 matrix multiplications for model-view and perspective transforms?

I think I've covered most of the obvious ways, but you never know.

16th IOCCC begins | 9 comments (8 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)