The only countries with adequate knowledge and capability to build up their missile bases and the interest to do so are Russia and China. India has not interest in hurting the US; they hate Pakistan.
That assumption is not quite correct. Here is a brief summary of why each nation acquired their arms:
- The US began their arsenal in order to not have to invade Japan to cause an end to World War II. It decided to rebuild its stockpile after WWII to make sure kept had an edge over the Soviet Union
- The Soviet Union built nukes because they feared the US nuclear policy. They began mutual assured destruction (MAD).
- The UK and France acquired arsenals to protect themselves against the Soviet Union in case the Soviets nuked them, and the US didn't want to get involved.
- Israel acquired nukes (from the US) to further assert its military superiority in the Middle East.
- PR China acquired nukes just in case Russia became an unfriendly neighbor.
- North Korea built nuclear missiles in case the US decided to nuke them for South Korea's sake.
- India acquired nukes not because they hate Pakistan, but because they're not on friendly ground with PR China.
- Pakistan built nukes to counter India, because India hates Pakistan more than they fear PR China.
- R China acquires nukes (from the US) to make sure PR China doesn't nuke them.
- Iraq acquires nukes because Israel has them.
You may ask What's the difference between PR China and R China? I only see one big thing named "China" on the map. PR China, The People's Republic of China, is the China we've come to know and (maybe not) love. It's communist government claims ownership of mainland China, along with a few coastal Islands, including Taiwan Island. It also claims to be its territory waters 200 miles off its coast. It cannot force its juristiction on Taiwan Island, but it still claims ownership.
R China, or the Republic of China, claims all that PR China does, along with present-day Mongolia. Their democratic government has control only of Taiwan Island.
When the communists were revolting in China, it owned all that R China now claims. The royal family fled to Taiwan Island, and claimed rule from there. The communists set up their government in mainland China, but had to give up Mongolia, because they could not maintain control of it. Eventually, the dynasty controlling Taiwan Island was replaced by the present democratic government.
The international community almost uniformly recognizes the communist government as the head of China and Taiwan Island. A handful of tiny nations recognize R China as governing Taiwan Island, but neither the mainland or Mongolia as being under their control.
China sees Taiwan as a "renegade province," and R China states it will unite with Beijing if Beijing adopts a democratically-elected government.
1/((sin x)^2*cos x) - (cos x) / (sin x)^2
[ Parent ]