The World's Most Dangerous Server Room

By the77x42 in Technology
Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 12:58:35 AM EST
Tags: Humour (all tags)
Humour

Two, ten litre water buckets balanced over the company's mainframe servers - and the backup tapes - oh, and the main routers and switches - oh, and the powerbars for the UPS's.

Yup, it was just another day at work.

I sent this article to The Register a couple months ago. It sparked a great thread of articles showcasing other IT slaves' stories. I thought I should shed some more light on this hilarious situation after recent events.

It all started when a co-worker and I were rambling about Exchange 5.5 when I heard what sounded like someone pissing in the corner. I looked up at the shitty, $300, Costco brand air conditioner that provided the 'cooling' for our server room. Behind the mess of wires and power cords I was able to catch a glimpse of the steady stream of piss that was spilling out of the cheap air 'blower'.

What followed was a mad dash for anything that could retain water. One bucket, then two buckets, each of which would fill up with ten litres of water within three days. This continued for over a year and a half despite countless emails to my manager. The president of the company even told my manager on three ocassions to buy a new air conditioner. My manager was too cheap (read: "stupid") to do anything.

Notice the convient placing of the company's backup tapes, backup drive, open server, and UPS's. Behind all that mess is also the sole powerbar for each of the servers.

The posting of this article eventually led to one of the reasons for my termination, and it was brought up in my final meeting. I post it here to find comfort in my original notion that it was indeed The World's Most Dangerous Server Room. Any comments you have on the subject are welcome.

My company's server room is:
o Great 21%
o Could be better 22%
o Poor 9%
o Worse than yours 6%
o We don't have a server room 26%
o Submersed 13%

o Two, ten litre water buckets balanced over the company's mainframe servers
o this article
o The Register
o great thread
o recent events
o mess of wires and power cords
o Notice
o Also by the77x42

The World's Most Dangerous Server Room | 57 comments (54 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)
OSHA (4.40 / 5) (#2)
by frankcrist on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 02:47:02 PM EST

File a complaint with OSHA.  Then call a laywer and watch your dismissal turn into a reimbursement for tolerating their stupidity.  Then smirk.

--x--x--x--x--x--
Get your war on!
OSHA is only if you are in the U.S. (none / 0) (#3)
by HidingMyName on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 03:06:48 PM EST

I think this server room might be in the U.K. (a lot of the Register's readers are not from the U.S.), so OSHA might not apply.

No, but ... (5.00 / 2) (#4)
by Simon Kinahan on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 03:15:14 PM EST

If he's in the UK, he has two potential avenues to get redress. He could bring a complaint (I'm not sure whether to a court or an industrial tribunal) under the Health and Safety at Work Act. I'm pretty sure having galons of water balanced over your head is a violation :) Alternatively, he could complain (to an industrial tribunal) for unfair dismissal. There is specific protection for whistleblowers, which could potentially apply.

Simon

If you disagree, post, don't moderate
Mind you .. (5.00 / 2) (#5)
by Simon Kinahan on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 03:16:34 PM EST

I suspect the author is actually American. "Costco", "termination" and "cheap" are not usually British English.

Simon

If you disagree, post, don't moderate
Read the article (5.00 / 2) (#6)
by Mahonrimoriancumer on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 03:19:31 PM EST

In the article, it mentions this guy is from North America. I would assume that would mean either the U.S. or Canada.

CANADA :) [nt] (4.00 / 2) (#7)
by the77x42 on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 03:21:36 PM EST

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

Most distressing. (5.00 / 4) (#30)
by Colin Dellow on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 10:00:50 AM EST

In the article, it can be accurately divined that he lives in Canada, due to his living in Edmonton, Alberta. Eeep. K5 != /., people.
-- Colin Dellow cldellow.ndschool@org
Don't (4.33 / 6) (#8)
by davidduncanscott on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 04:22:50 PM EST

the installation instructions for most window A/C's suggest that the unit be mounted with an incline toward the outside?

All air-conditioners produce water as a by-product, and they used just to dump it out the rear. These days it's flung about by the "slinger ring" to add a little more cooling through its evaporation, but still, if the unit is tilted inward, I'm not sure it matters what brand or model unit you use.

Even so (none / 0) (#15)
by the77x42 on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 06:07:47 PM EST

The room behind the air conditioner was the attic. If it didn't drip on the servers, it would've drip down onto the floor below us.

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

Wait a sec' (none / 0) (#18)
by davidduncanscott on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 07:46:28 PM EST

The A/C just tried to dump heat into the attic, not to the outside world at all? How hot did the attic get?

Mostly, though, I just meant that the "cheap Costco" aspect was probably irrelevant. Badly installed, the best A/C in the world might have had the same result.

Hey (none / 0) (#32)
by the77x42 on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 12:19:40 PM EST

All I can say is that my manager wanted it this way and you couldn't change his views. Oh, on top of all this, the server room was actually right above the ocean (it's in a processing plant) and used regular water sprinklers. In the event of a fire, heh, either the servers get soaked in water, or the floors give and everything goes into the ocean.

See what I mean about this planning? There is none. And when you try and plan, you get fired like I did. I kid you not.

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

what the... (5.00 / 1) (#25)
by jt on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 11:37:25 PM EST

What kind of retarded A/C setup is that? If it's not central air it should be on an outside wall, shouldn't it?

Um... (4.00 / 7) (#9)
by delmoi on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 05:16:46 PM EST

Why didn't you just change the location of the servers/tapes?
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman
Well... (3.00 / 1) (#14)
by the77x42 on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 06:06:52 PM EST

To change the location of the servers is impossible. Let's just leave it at that. It takes a good hour or so to get in behind one because all the wires are in a knot. Besides, management refused to acknowledge that a problem existed, so what was I to do?

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

Do it anyway? (4.00 / 1) (#48)
by Elkor on Mon Nov 25, 2002 at 09:07:40 AM EST

Tell management there would be "routine" maintenance of the servers. Shut them down and relocate. Bring them up.

You might have had to do this at 10pm or so to prevent interruption of work, but it would have been one of the "right" things to do.

If management is as clueless as you are saying, then they probably wouldn't have noticed.

Or, if they did, you could say "Well, I was updating the sepcom registry, and since I had to shut them down I decided to do some maintenance on the cords, since the wire bundle was a fire hazard, and the best way to do that was to move the damn things."

Never underestimate the idiocy of non-techies to buy a plausible sounding explaination.

Regards,
Elkor

"I won't tell you how to love God if you don't tell me how to love myself."
-Margo Eve
IT "slave"? (3.80 / 5) (#10)
by pgdn on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 05:35:27 PM EST

I used to work in IT, and I know what it's like to be subject to the whims of idiot managers, et. al.. But slave? When you do undesirable work for someone you hate because it will earn you more than something you would prefer to be doing, that's closer to the definition of a whore than a slave. Neither of us know what it's like to be a slave, but I'm sure it's a lot worse than having to add a useless feature because marketing wants it, or having to empty a bucket every few days because management can't make sure the air conditioner is put in the right way.

IT "WHORE" then :) [nt] (4.66 / 3) (#12)
by the77x42 on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 06:01:00 PM EST

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

thanks :) [nt] (none / 0) (#28)
by pgdn on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 03:27:41 AM EST

Exactly (4.00 / 1) (#51)
by broken77 on Mon Nov 25, 2002 at 02:21:15 PM EST

I figured this out some time ago myself. For a while I was crossing out the words "Application Programmer" and writing in "Corporate Whore". Of course I only gave these particular cards out to people who I knew wouldn't get in a fuss over it.

I'm starting to doubt all this happy propaganda about Islam being a religion of peace. Heck, it's just as bad as Christianity. -- Dphitz

Most noisy server room (4.60 / 5) (#11)
by onyxruby on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 05:44:35 PM EST

I had a server room at one my old contracts that might be labeled the noisiest server room in the world. It had an 25 + yo ancient Liebert inline transformer that had a failure that couldn't be fixed. Even calling in the Liebert factory technician didn't help as couldn't even order the part anymore. The inline transformer was for one of the original HP 4000 (4500?) big iron servers. The old server was old enough that the hard drive and other components were separate units, each about a half rack tall and a rack and a half wide.

This was a paper facility, so noise was quite the issue. Earplugs were required on the floor, and heavy duty $200 earmuffs were required to even visit certain parts of the floor. As a result the operations staff had a sound meter on hand to measure and meet OSHA requirements. I got them to use the sound meter in the server room for me, and promptly got my own pair of $200 earmuffs. Being a rather safety oriented company, they were now "required" to wear to go into the server room. I don't recall the exact dbl level of the room, but I know it was in the triple digits.

The moon is covered with the results of astronomical odds.

The noise here was bad (none / 0) (#13)
by the77x42 on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 06:05:19 PM EST

I never got a dB meter out, but I assure you we should have all been wearing ear protection.

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

subsonic blues (5.00 / 3) (#27)
by bruce on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 03:12:12 AM EST

The brand new "Network Operations Center" control room where I worked had to be abandoned because its ventilation system has some sort of subsonic wobble. Although it sounds pretty quiet, the place is uninhabitable -- you'll go batty if you spend more than a few minutes in there.

The IT department really wants to fix it, so it can be used for its intended purpose rather than a storeroom. But apparently it would take a professional to fix whatever design flaw is causing it.

It's been a few years now, but so far the money has not been available. What the hell, everyone can work out of their regular offices anyway, and we need storerooms too...

micromanagement (4.16 / 6) (#16)
by nex on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 06:21:46 PM EST

So you don't just had to ask your boss if he could buy you a new air conditioner, you even had to ask him to allow you to relocate the backup tapes that were under the buckets, which you had put up yourselves, and where to put them? And he told you explicitly, "oh no no no, the buckets are fine, and all the equipment underneath must definitely stay there"?

Actually, yes... he was DUMB [nt] (5.00 / 1) (#21)
by the77x42 on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 08:52:44 PM EST

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

Easier... (4.80 / 5) (#23)
by Bios_Hakr on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 10:53:20 PM EST

...to ask forgivness than permission.

Especially if you _know_ what you are about to do is right.  I'd make a copy of the tapes and take 'em home.  If disaster ever occours (quite likely in your case), tell the boss's boss that the boss wouldn't let you move the tapes.  Even after you pointed out several studies about storing off-site backups.  When the job of restoring falls to you, claim you did some sort of techno-magic to restore the company files.  Have a coworker (who didn't know about the tapes) claim that what you did was impossible.  Take credit and ask for a raise, or at least a good letter of reccomendation to find a new job.

To take it one step further, invoke disaster.  In the (horribly paraphrased) words of BOFH, you can't wait for an oppertunity like that, you gotta make it happen.  Place small magnets near the tapes.  Kick the computers whenever you get a second alone.  Do a failover test on the RAID by quickly removing and reinserting drives.  On failure, see above paragraph.

On a side note, have you looked to see if the AC unit is tilted wrong?  It could also be that the drain on the back of the unit is plugged.  Look on the bottom or back corner of the unit on the outside.  Look for signs of rust.  That is where watter used to leak.  That is the drain.  Poke it with a paperclip or some bailing wire.  I'd be willing to bet that a dead bug is stuck in there.  Bugs are attracted to the source of water and eventually one dies in there.  The currents take him to the drain plug.  The water fills the unit until the next highest point is reached.

You can take the "Not my job" stance if you want, but I have done some pretty shitty things to keep "my" servers running.

I hope this gets THEM fired ! +1FP (3.40 / 5) (#17)
by nih5oruk on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 07:23:54 PM EST

Sabotage (4.40 / 10) (#22)
by Blarney on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 10:16:03 PM EST

What stopped you from sabotaging the air conditioner? If it has a belt drive between the motor and the compressor, you could simply remove the belt and hopefully the noise from the motor would still give people the impression that it was operating. Otherwise, I'm sure you could have come up with some clever way to make it pretend to be on and make the occasional whirring noise. It couldn't possibly have been cooling the room anyway, being as you already mentioned that it did not vent the heat outdoors. Perhaps the room would even have grown cooler!

Our server room (3.75 / 4) (#24)
by scruffyMark on Sat Nov 23, 2002 at 10:54:27 PM EST

I work for a company in Edmonton, Alberta (more or less North of Minnesota, for you Americans). Our server room is in Halifax, Nova Scotia (up by Maine). The servers there are Citrix terminal servers, which, as you might expect, means a certain sluggish feel to some of the apps at our end. The main system we use is an OpenStep app; I'm not sure if it runs via X11 on yet another system or what, but it's still one step slower than any of the other programs. This app in turn connects to a further server running on (an) MVS/ESA system(s) somewhere in the States. On the floor, to run the Citrix desktop client, we have Pentium 4 workstations, with something like 256MB of RAM, and 15" monitors locked at 60 Hz. Oh well; for all that the IT setup is a bit wonky, it's a pretty good place to work.

hmmm... interesting geography (3.33 / 3) (#26)
by raaymoose on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 12:35:25 AM EST

You know, the last few times I went south into the states from Alberta I got into Idaho or Montana. Not sure where you're getting Minnesota from.

(blush) (5.00 / 1) (#53)
by scruffyMark on Mon Nov 25, 2002 at 04:45:13 PM EST

Errm. OK, so I'm pig-ignorant of American geography, so I asked my wife, what state would be south of us. Except she was in the next room, and there was music playing, and she was concentrating on some work.

So, maybe I should have left out the state reference bits.

Why buckets ? (4.28 / 7) (#29)
by drsmithy on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 08:04:06 AM EST

Surely a funnel and some piping to move the water somewhere less potentially destructive would have been a far smarter interim solution ?

Yes, but... (none / 0) (#31)
by the77x42 on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 12:16:07 PM EST

... we were in the attic in the middle of the building. To drain the water would require at least 50 feet of tubbing. But dude, this is all M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E, why not just spend $2000 on a decent air conditioner? Fuck, the guy spent $9000 on web cameras that sit around unplugged.

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

A whole $20! (4.33 / 3) (#33)
by Blarney on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 03:11:51 PM EST

C'mon. Sixty feet of 5/8" garden hose costs about $20 at a hardware store. It's not a big deal, hell if you have a petty cash system for blank CDRs and such shit they'd probably approve it without even looking at it I can't understand why you'd leave this mess for a year, regardless.

Turn off the mostly-useless A/C, that was my old idea - remove the water by a hose, that's a good idea also - in fact, anything would have been a good idea within the constraints that your boss wasn't willing to buy another air conditioner (which would also have leaked water, like all air conditioners do). I don't care if it's a $200,000 air conditioner, it will condense water from the air onto the cooling coils! That's why they're supposed to dump the water outdoors, because there is guaranteed to be water anyway. Here's some science for you - go and buy some dry ice from a food warehouse, put it into a drinking glass, and notice that the outside of the glass becomes coated in water and ice. Cold things condense atmospheric moisture - that's a law of nature you can't change. Now, a better air conditioner for your purposes might have a hose fitting for convenient draining of water, but there is no A/C that doesn't get wet.

Gonna give me another 1 for this comment? I don't really give a crap - I've been trusted and untrusted too many times to count. But I fix stupid stuff like this at my job on a regular basis - and you left it like this for a year, putting yourself and your coworkers at risk, refusing to touch it until someone paid for the magical non-water-condensing A/C that doesn't actually exist. That's just silly.

you don't read what i write (3.50 / 2) (#44)
by the77x42 on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 10:49:55 PM EST

if you did, you would understand the frivilous nature of my efforts. the guy didn't respond to reason. the buckets are a TEMPORARY solution. a little garden hose is a TEMPORARY solution. what is the long term solution? buy an adequate air conditioner that's installed properly. can I order it? no. can I suggest it? yes -- and i did. did he listen? no.
I'm not saying buy some magical air conditioner that doesn't condense water, I'm saying buy a PROPER air conditioner (one with a drip tray at least), and don't mount it over servers.

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

expertism on air-conditioning (4.50 / 2) (#45)
by sangdrax on Mon Nov 25, 2002 at 03:38:13 AM EST

why should he have expert knowledge or even knowledge at all about air-condition systems? the only thing he had to know and acknowledge is the fact it was leaking water on the servers. that has to be fixed, so he mentions the problem to his boss.

His boss in turn should have asked for some expert opinion and maybe, yes, it could be fixed for $20 (the door might not be able to close and lock tho, like all doors and windows the hose meets on the way out, excellent for burglars).

The problem is: he saw a dangerous problem and his boss fails to acknowledge it, putting the company at risk but probably ready to blame our poster if the whole serverroom would have exploded.

Please read the FAQ about ratings (3.87 / 8) (#34)
by ogre on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 03:56:23 PM EST

In particular, you aren't supposed to go around downrating all comments that are critical of something you wrote. I makes you look like a whiny little snot who doesn't know how to take part in serious discussions. And of course you don't want to look like that.

Everybody relax, I'm here.

dude (none / 0) (#41)
by the77x42 on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 10:42:35 PM EST

if you read what i wrote, your comment would have been unnecessary

dude (4.66 / 3) (#46)
by ogre on Mon Nov 25, 2002 at 03:53:23 AM EST

I read what you wrote and still thought the comment was necessary. Apparently so did several other people.

Look at all these people taking your manager's side even though 1. we have an initial prejudice in your favor because you are a fellow K5er, 2. You got to tell the entire story from your side, 3. the boss wasn't even able to tell his side, and 4. many of us have done similar work for bosses we didn't like. Doesn't that say something?

Isn't it even remotely possible that what really happened here is that you got into a pissing contest with your boss and lost? I'll bet you already had problems with him because he wouldn't take your advice on technical issues. Maybe he was wrong not to, but that doesn't change the issue that at some point you began to take it personally.

A responsible sysadmin would have moved everything the very night the leaking started without waiting to see if the boss was going to take his advice about the new air conditioner. That dangerous server room wasn't the boss's fault, it was yours. As the sysadmin your job is to create the most robust system you can with the resources you have. Leaving a dangerous situation in place to protest against your boss is a dereliction of duty so serious that I would consider firing you on that basis alone.

Seriously, dude, you don't need revenge. What you need is an hour to sit down by yourself in a quiet place and try to visualize how you look to other people. Especially the people who don't seem to like you. I can guarantee you from experience, it will be one of the most rewarding hours of your life.

Everybody relax, I'm here.

I forgot to mention (4.66 / 3) (#47)
by the77x42 on Mon Nov 25, 2002 at 04:23:28 AM EST

I'm not the sysadmin, that's my manager's job. I'm actually just the webmaster :) I guess that should clear up a lot of this "you should have done [insert directive here]". I was actually just hired on to design the website. When it came to fixing things in the server room, I just pointed them out; like hell I'm going to take that much responsibility for $15 an hour.

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

Well that changes the whole story! (4.50 / 2) (#50)
by ogre on Mon Nov 25, 2002 at 12:17:12 PM EST

I think a lot of us assumed that you were the sysadmin. As the webmaster it is not your job to be moving servers around on your own initiative. If anything had gone wrong, you would have been rightfully blamed for it. I thought you were being unfair to a techno-disadvantaged boss. If that guy was the sysadmin he arguably does deserve contempt for the way he managed the room.

So I'm on your side after all and K5 is just one big happy family again. Lets all get together, hold hands and sing "We are the World".

E-e-e-evrybody now!

We are the world. We are the chi-i-i-ldren.
OK, I'm feeling a little queasy so let's stop.

P.S. I still think it's bad form to downrate an article that is critical of you, no matter how much it may deserve downgrading. Let impartial observers handle it.

Everybody relax, I'm here.

assumptions (3.00 / 1) (#55)
by s alpha on Mon Nov 25, 2002 at 11:08:45 PM EST

you're forgetting about the inherent clairvoyant abilities of americans, brah.

ogre and the rest of these preachy fux clearly know more about you from your post than you know about yourself.

because their lengthy days on K5 have bestowed them with mind-reading powers, they're able to discern your exact motivation for rating anything differently than they would, not to mention details of your job duties and working relationships.
  • you did downrate because you disagreed, not because it was a waste of space.
  • you are the sysadmin, not the webmaster.
  • you could have moved the equipment, it was not impossible.
  • you do think a proliant is a mainframe, it's not just cropped out.
  • it was your attitude that was the problem, not your boss.
you don't seriously believe that, knowing you as well as they do, they just imagined all of this?

hey (2.00 / 1) (#57)
by the77x42 on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 02:16:29 PM EST

assuming makes an ASS out of U and ME

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

The author of this story thinks K5 sucks (3.66 / 3) (#35)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 04:38:29 PM EST

He wrote a recent diary entry about it. Is this story about America or Linux? I love tattling.

I'm like Jesus, only better.
Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour
hehe (5.00 / 1) (#38)
by the77x42 on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 10:37:53 PM EST

i never thought this story would get posted ;)

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

Proliant <> Mainframe Server (3.87 / 8) (#36)
by ecopoesis on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 04:40:58 PM EST

I think there might have been other reasons for your firing, as you can't tell the difference between a Compaq Proliant and a mainframe. And also, it's not really that dangerous. You could just unplug the AC. As you said yourself, it didn't do much cooling so it's loss would really matter.

"Yachting isn't just for the wealthy. :-)" - rusty

um (none / 0) (#39)
by the77x42 on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 10:40:22 PM EST

okay, there are two Metaframe servers under it... happy?

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

and uh.... (4.00 / 1) (#42)
by the77x42 on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 10:43:59 PM EST

you don't think a fire hazard is dangerous? there's powerbars under there... people are only there 40 hours a week, what about the other 128 hours?

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

Are you telling me... (4.33 / 6) (#37)
by mindstrm on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 06:52:56 PM EST

that is an oustide wall?
What genius mounted a tiny home air conditioning unit to it?
For that matter, who put it right over the servers? Or who put the servers right under the air conditioner?
You can call the boss cheap, but having the gear right under the AC at all is a stupid move from the get-go; even on my leak-proof air conditioners with proper piping and whatnot, designed for these rooms, there is special ducting addedd IN CASE a pipe leaks, and even then, we try not to put servers directly under those pipes.

Would have been better off to unplug that little thing. I doubt it could possibly have helped whatsoever. All it did was drive up the electric bill I bet.

You would have been better off if you a) filed a report to ask to have it fixed
then
b) having a bucket spill on the servers and then saying "I told you so"

i got fired for that (none / 0) (#40)
by the77x42 on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 10:41:25 PM EST

I got fired for: 1) commenting about it and 2) suggesting we let it overflow Apparently those are conspiracies.

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

you people remind me of my manager (2.50 / 2) (#43)
by the77x42 on Sun Nov 24, 2002 at 10:45:56 PM EST

most of you are either: 1) downplaying the situation or 2) saying it's my fault for not doing anything it sounds a lot like the retard I had to work under for 4 years :)

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

You should have said you weren't the sysadmin. (4.50 / 2) (#49)
by jvance on Mon Nov 25, 2002 at 12:00:40 PM EST

I'm a "Senior Developer" and I know a little bit about hardware, but there's no way in hell I'd take it upon myself to shut down and move equipment in the server room. For one thing, I don't have the root passwords, so I couldn't do a clean shutdown.

From your side of the story, you discharged your responsibility when you brought the situation to the attention of someone who supposedly had the authority and expertise to do something about it.

But dude, don't go downrating people because you forgot to say something. If you want, you can go back and change your ratings just by selecting another number and resubmitting.

This is taking too much of my time. I've gone away. You can reach me at john_a_vance atsign hotmail dot com if you wish.

okay comments changed [nt] (4.00 / 2) (#52)
by the77x42 on Mon Nov 25, 2002 at 02:59:20 PM EST

"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

Report your former company! (4.00 / 2) (#54)
by BLU ICE on Mon Nov 25, 2002 at 08:06:27 PM EST

Your manager and the execs sound like they have their heads in their asses. It would be nice if your reported them to Microsoft and they got fined the big bucks.

"Is the quality of this cocaine satisfactory, Mr. Delorean?"
"As good as gold."

-- I am become Troll, destroyer of threads.
It's like an encyclopedia...sorta: Everything2

So, can I safely assume... (4.00 / 2) (#56)
by CaptainZapp on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 05:38:42 AM EST

...that you requested your managers username before you left the company?

clickety click...