Focus on Digital Identity

By rusty in Technology
Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 02:12:01 AM EST
Tags: Focus On... (all tags)
Focus On...

Welcome to the first installment of what I hope will become an ongoing feature of K5, the Focus Topic. K5 is a remarkable community in a lot of ways, but one in particular is your willingness to consider issues and ideas, and respond to them, usually quite vocally and always intelligently.

A few people from the fledgling website DigitalIDWorld recognized this, and realized that you just can't buy the kind of attention and critical reading and thinking that goes on here on every article, every day. But they also thought that you, who come here for technology and culture, would be exactly the people they needed to hear from in trying to define and shape the emerging Digital Identity market. So, a quandary. What they needed, your collective attention, is valuable precisely because it can't be for sale.

Andre Durand and Phil Becker, who run DIDW, are both online community guys from way back. They immediately got what K5 is all about, and realized that they could just submit articles like anyone else. But, having both been where we are, working to make a great community self-supporting, they also realized that they were in a position to help out K5, instead of just taking advantage of the resource for free.

They talked to me, and I talked to you, and what we eventually came up with is this, the Focus topic on Digital Identity. They're kicking in some money, and in return we're creating a mini-section specifically geared toward issues of Digital Identity. I'm not going to go into a lot of depth on what that is here, since the first article should provide a good overview. The summary is that Digital Identity is the intersection of software and protocols geared toward establishing and controlling your "identity" in electronic environments. Trust metrics, authentication, crypto, and privacy issues, and much more are all wrapped up in this. In a world that is increasingly connected by electronic networks, how you are able to represent yourself, and how you control that representation, will become ever more important.

The way the Focus topic works is pretty simple. Articles are just like all other articles; they are submitted for voting, and voted on by everyone. DigitalIDWorld will submit articles periodically that they think you might find interesting. Anyone who has something to say on the topic is also welcome and encouraged to submit articles. Like every other article, vote them up if they're good, vote them down if they're not. There are no special conditions or restrictions on Digital Identity focus articles -- they go where you vote them.

There will be a small box on the left side of the index pages, with links to the Focus section index, and the most recent couple of stories. If you find you aren't interested in the subject, feel free to turn the box off in your Display Preferences. We're paid in advance, just to create the section and open it up, so we all (myself, and especially Andre and Phil) urge you to vote without prejudice on article submissions, either for or against. This will work if you keep to the high standards you've already established for the site, and I'm counting on you to do so.

A little about DigitalIDWorld: DIDW is a brand new site, launched with the intention of becoming a "hub" for the digial identity market. They intend to hold a conference later this year to get as many of the groups with an interest in the digital identity space together as possible. Full disclosure: Andre Durand, a backer of DigitalIDWorld, is also founder of a company called PingID, which develops digital identity infrastructure products. This probably explains some of his interest in the field, but DIDW does not advocate any particular product or service. They don't want to market a product to you, they do want your honest responses to the issues and technologies of digital identity.

Every month, I'll post a Site News article with a poll asking if we should keep the Focus idea, or not, and if we should stick with the current topic or not. We can stick with a topic as long as you're interested in it. I would like to see the topic change every few months or so, and hopefully we can find some other sponsors with interesting focus topic ideas. As always, any proposal for a new topic will be put to you first.

This is a new thing, and none of us knows how it's going to go. I really appreciate your willingness to give it a shot, and I think that if we keep on doing that thing we do, it'll be a good thing for everyone involved. If it turns out not to be, well, we tried. So welcome again to K5's first ever Focus Topic: Digital Identity.

o DigitalIDW orld
o talked to you
o Display Preferences
o Also by rusty

Focus on Digital Identity | 56 comments (48 topical, 8 editorial, 0 hidden)
interesting (3.75 / 8) (#1)
by typhatix on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 12:12:18 AM EST

We get another source of (possibly interesting) articles to rant and gripe and vote on. They get an audience to review whatever they want. Rusty gets some money so he can eat.

Sounds win win win.

Shhh! (4.60 / 10) (#3)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 12:26:12 AM EST

Sounds win win win.

Dear god, man, those are fighting words! Don't let anyone hear you say that. Before you know it, you'll be talking about cross-market synergies and vertically integrated supply-chain management solutions... ;-)

By the way, the first article should be submitted later this evening. Keep an eye out.

Not the real rusty

cross-market synergies (4.00 / 3) (#43)
by wiredog on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 09:25:05 AM EST

Damn. Should have had a line like that in the Beero5hin article. Mixed in with the "have innovated a new internet business model that would be long-term sustainable through the convergence and synergy of web journalism" line...

Peoples Front To Reunite Gondwanaland: "Stop the Laurasian Separatist Movement!"

lets see how it works out... (3.50 / 6) (#2)
by KiTaSuMbA on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 12:15:48 AM EST

from what I've read seems pretty ok. We can still vote on the articles and then flame for some 500-or-more comments down to the very obscene!
:-P

PS.: Nice deal rusty
There is no Dopaminergic Pepperoni Kabal!
Phil Becker.. (4.00 / 3) (#4)
by rebelcool on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 12:26:40 AM EST

that name sounds familiar. Didn't he write TBBS back in the day?

COG. Build your own community. Free, easy, powerful. Demo site

Possibly (4.50 / 2) (#5)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 12:32:31 AM EST

He founded ISPCON (which has since been sold) and I think he did write a BBS, but I'm not sure which one. He's plb on K5, so hopefully he can answer you for himself. Currently, he's editor of DIDW.

TBBS (5.00 / 2) (#14)
by andredurand on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 01:18:30 AM EST

Yes, on behalf of Phil whom I'm sure will chime in shortly. Phil was the foundeder of eSoft which created TBBS/TDBS. Phil and Jack Rickard (Boardwatch Magazine) created BBSCON (now ISPCON).

Ownership of ideas (4.50 / 6) (#6)
by Torgos Pizza on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 12:36:57 AM EST

I have a small question. I know up front that the topic is going to be sponsored by a company, an organization or some other type of entity. I also know ahead of time that they pick the topic to talk about. Good so far.

In this instance we're talking about Digital Identity sponsored by DIDW. What were to happen if during the course of conversation I come up with a brilliant idea on how to pursue a product in this area. Does this idea become property of DIDW since they sponsored the topic? Or is it public domain since I talked about it in the open.

I ask because it's going to come up sooner or later. Someone will come up with an idea, someone else will run with it and the original author gets mad for not either getting credit or money. Just as long as it is known up front what happens to ideas or work product created in this forum would help prevent future problems.

I intend to live forever, or die trying.

Sponsorship (4.77 / 9) (#7)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 12:46:37 AM EST

They are paying for me to create a "bin" to put stuff about digital identity in, that's all. As far as copyright goes, by posting something here (comment or story) you grant K5 the right to use it on the site, and in certan limited extensions of the site (like the RDF feed). You retain ownership of your copyright, we merely get a limited use permission. Posting in the DID section is no different than the rest of the site, and DIDW does not have permission to reuse anything you post, beyond normal fair-use limitations.

If you post an idea in a comment, well, we don't really have any say in ownership issues of ideas. I know that DIDW certainly won't "own" your idea just because you posted it in a section they sponsored. To what extent you "own" an idea you express in public is frankly beyond my legal expertise. IANAL, YMMV.

Not the real rusty

Can I get paid too? (4.00 / 2) (#53)
by shinshin on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 06:06:33 PM EST

Can I get paid for posting positive comments about their web site? If so, who do I contact?

Perhaps I just am not looking hard enough, but I didn't see a "corporate sponsored" banner anywhere in this article, nor do I see any option to filter these out from my front page view of K5.

Frankly, this whole idea leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Even Slashdot has not stooped to "corporate sponsored stories" levels.

PS. Although I think this is bad for the K5 community, I applaud Rusty for figuring out how to make a few bucks off his site. Given the number of hits that the corporate sponsored site will get as a result of these manufactured "stories", I just hope they paid him an amount equivalent to what an advertising agency would have gotten for that kind of press.

The stories are not sponsored (4.66 / 3) (#56)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 07:07:28 PM EST

That's probably because it's not a corporate sponsored article. It does describe, pretty clearly, the nature and terms of the sponsorship agreement.

They talked to me, and I talked to you , and what we eventually came up with is this, the Focus topic on Digital Identity. They're kicking in some money, and in return we're creating a mini-section specifically geared toward issues of Digital Identity...

The first topical article, "What is Digital Identity" does note at the bottom that it originally appeared on digitalidworld.

nor do I see any option to filter these out from my front page view of K5.

There isn't an option to filter any articles. I'm sorry if digital identity doesn't interest you, but lots of articles don't interest me either. I just don't read them. When a large and diverse community is in charge of picking stories, every one of us is almost guaranteed to end up not liking everything. That's how it's always been.

Gag me (2.85 / 7) (#9)
by E r i c on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 01:02:11 AM EST

<harmlessjab>
Did you see that site? I say, did you SEE that site?

I'd rather look at topic icons of the goatse man with his giver than those guys' mugs. Cripes ;-D
</harmlessjab>

I blame my past transgressions on Eminem's music. Reform number five is currently in progress.
Mug Shots (4.25 / 4) (#15)
by andredurand on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 01:21:58 AM EST

Well, we don't know that the mug shots will last. However, as is the fashion with many 'news' related sites (which is a bit different than a community site), having your mug-shot to promote your personal 'brand' is many times considered a plus (and we want to promote that concept when recruiting writers for the site). Trust me, we'd rather see other peoples mug-shots up on the site rather than ours, but we're just getting started, give us a bit of time.

Yeah right (3.00 / 2) (#22)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 01:44:24 AM EST

Whatever, Mr. Dotcom Cool Guy. If I was writing an article, I'd put your mug shot next to it. It's much better than mine. ;-)

Not the real rusty
Puh-leeze (3.00 / 3) (#26)
by E r i c on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 02:18:23 AM EST

fluffy grue and I are the uber-studs around here, rusty, and don't you forget it.

I mean, come on, you two lamers don't even have long hair ;-D ;-D ;-D

ICE (none / 0) (#55)
by andredurand on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 06:22:15 PM EST

My wife doesn't let me out of the house with my hair down... I think she wants to turn me into the Don King of software. Some ICE should do the trick... the tagline, "ANTI-GRAVITY HAIR"

What I wanna know ... (none / 0) (#46)
by Kellnerin on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 10:38:43 AM EST

is why everyone's head is tilted at the same jaunty 5-degree angle from vertical? Even the generic shadow-head. Should you be spending some of your funding on a case of V-8?

--sometimes you pick your gods, sometimes the gods pick you -odin--
Who the hell knows... (none / 0) (#54)
by andredurand on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 06:17:26 PM EST

Yea, I only noticed the 'tilting heads' AFTER all the photo's were put next to each other, perhaps there's a pattern here nobodies explored yet.

I agree (3.66 / 3) (#16)
by fluffy grue on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 01:29:01 AM EST

The last thing we need to see is the face of the nerds who run a site...
"...but who knows, perhaps [stories about] technology and hardware will come to be [unpopular]." -- rusty the p
Parent ]
Hehehe (3.50 / 4) (#18)
by E r i c on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 01:32:41 AM EST

Good find ;-)

BTW, my hair's much longer now since you seem to be interested in my looks :-*

In conclusion (3.25 / 4) (#19)
by E r i c on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 01:36:40 AM EST

I present Sir Grue :-P [ Image ]

And I think (4.00 / 4) (#21)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 01:40:30 AM EST

That that just goes to show, all around.

Not the real rusty
Finally, I'd like to say... (3.33 / 3) (#25)
by E r i c on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 02:14:31 AM EST

peace-out

;-) ;-) ;-)

oooh that's rusty? (none / 0) (#49)
by frufru on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 01:39:02 PM EST

... he's cute =)

>fluffy grue and I are the uber-studs around
>here, rusty, and don't you forget it.

LOL

sorry guys, you lose ;)

Ihaterusty has finally disappeared, yay (1.33 / 3) (#33)
by carbon on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 04:02:54 AM EST

Alright, ihaterusty seems to have disappeared from his anti-rusty spree or annoyance. Yay for k5!

And thus, another troll is repelled from the ramparts of the kuro5castle, wherein people dost comment freely upon both the mundane and the dull, where those who spam and irritate are justly rated down into a pitiful oblivion of anti-trollish obscurity, and where anyone with a console and a nerdy complexion may voice his or her opinions without fears of being halted at every step by FUD and stupidity. Rejoice, my friends and compatriots, for we have reached the Promised Blog!

Heh, I just dare someone to try and fit that into their sig.

Wasn't Dr. Claus the bad guy on Inspector Gadget? - dirvish
OMG U MUST BE STLAKING ME! (2.50 / 2) (#23)
by fluffy grue on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 01:50:40 AM EST

Dude, it's not like I'm putting that image up everywhere for people to see (your image was quite plainly visible on the monolinux.com registration page where you select your "avatar" image).
Parent ]
Speaking of Identity (2.85 / 7) (#11)
by Patrick Bateman 10005 on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 01:09:59 AM EST

Microsoft dumps Hailstorm

+1 section (3.50 / 6) (#27)
by imrdkl on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 02:29:55 AM EST

to show my support, but if there had actually been something about dig-id, I might have gone fp. So, what do you wanna talk about here? Here's a few notions:

1. x.509 certs (natch)
2. encryption
3. PKI and CA

What else?

See intro (3.66 / 3) (#28)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 02:32:57 AM EST

Ok, the introduction, which is actually *about* digitasl identity, is in the queue. It's a little long, but very comprehensive as an overview of the field.

Future articles should be shorter and more focused. And you, of all people, should write something. It would almost certainly be good. :-)

Not the real rusty

A question (3.00 / 2) (#30)
by imrdkl on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 03:37:56 AM EST

I confess, I've secretly been looking forward to this, for a chance to "strut my stuff" a little. But will k5 make money when an article posts to this new section, even if it is a local author?

No. (3.66 / 3) (#32)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 03:53:06 AM EST

No, the agreement is that they're just paying us for creating the focus section. It's up-front for the month, basically, so the whole money thing is done already for this month. The invoice is in the mail.

One of the things that most people were clear on in the RFC is that they did not want voting tied to income in any way, so we removed that provision entirely.

Not the real rusty

"always intelligently"? (2.80 / 5) (#29)
by ti dave on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 03:20:32 AM EST

Please contrast that to my .sig, and let me know which one is correct.

"If you dial," Iran said, eyes open and watching, "for greater venom, then I'll dial the same."

Ummmm (3.00 / 2) (#31)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 03:48:43 AM EST

Are you serious about this or just tweaking me? I can't tell, and I don't want to react one way or the other assuming the wrong one. If you think I was insulting you or something, I apologize. If you're just kidding, ok cool. :-)

Not the real rusty
I must admit... (3.50 / 2) (#37)
by ti dave on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 05:00:57 AM EST

I must admit that the comment you left at the CVS check-in site bothered me somewhat.
I'm not sure that you really believe in what you wrote.

"and little else"?
Sure, were a lot of "trusted trolls", but if there really was "little else", I wouldn't keep coming back here day after day.

There's still quite a lot of good content here, and I hope that you're not getting overly frustrated by what you find here.

CVS (4.33 / 3) (#38)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 05:37:27 AM EST

You gotta understand that I write CVS checkin logs in literally 3 seconds. Half the time they don't even describe the feature I'm checking in accurately, let alone the motivations for having written it. You will go crazy trying to divine any thought or meaning in them.

I didn't intend to imply that K5 was full of trolls and little else. Or even that it was full of trolls at all. I was speculating about the likely future of a system that is operating in an environment it was not designed for (i.e. diaries, where ratings are not, generally, reviewed by the larger population, and don't mean what mojo assumes they mean, even if they are).

I'm not overly frustrated by K5 at all. I am a little frustrated that I have to apologize for a misreading of a CVS log. I won't be saying anything descriptive in those in the future. I kinda tried to ignore it, but it seems like it's really irking you. Hopefully this helped?

Hrm (4.33 / 3) (#39)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 05:48:32 AM EST

That came off not really the way I meant it. Let me try again: I didn't mean to insult you, or anyone, or imply that I think K5, or (especially) the K5 diaries are full of trolls. I didn't phrase it well at all, and I can see how it could sound like that. Please believe that it wasn't meant like that.

Ok, I read this one over three times, and it's actually what I'm trying to say. Serves me right for posting at 6AM. :-)

Not the real rusty

what was that again? (4.57 / 7) (#40)
by Delirium on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 05:56:16 AM EST

You said you hate all k5ers and are collecting personal data on us to sell to Disney and not only that you hope we all get horrible diseases? =(

Or maybe I'm just misreading your post.

Pet hate (4.00 / 5) (#41)
by codemonkey_uk on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 07:47:27 AM EST

Rusty,

I feel obliged to admonish you on your slap-dash attitude towards commenting on revisions.

Perhaps its a pet hate, but I find it very annoying when people don't comment, or, perhaps worse, use only stupid/inane comments ("stuff" is surprisingly popular comment).

Common, when you commit a change to the repository, your talking to all the other developers, your literally making history.

Admit it, you must have, at some point seen someone else's change in the code, and wondered why they did it, and been annoying to find that it hadn't been commented?

Bah.
Thad

Comments, too (4.00 / 3) (#44)
by wiredog on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 09:30:17 AM EST

He said he doesn't comment his perl much. Someday his aversion to decent documentation is gonna bite him in the ass the way lack of backups did last fall.

Why is it that so many people have to learn things the hard way? I tell ya, it's a freakin miracle our ancestors ever mastered fire, much less got to the moon!

Mastering fire (5.00 / 4) (#52)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 03:18:09 PM EST

Humanity mastered fire millions of years ago, and how many times have I burned myself?

I think people learn things the hard way because it's how we're wired to operate. If we always did what we know works, there'd never be any discovery, there'd never be anything new. Humanity's combination of reckless stupidity and disrespect for the mistakes of others is, I think, what makes us great.

Not the real rusty

Rusty's CVS Comment == Good. (5.00 / 2) (#48)
by ramses0 on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 12:38:23 PM EST

It seems to me like some people are being a little too sensitive about it all. It accurately describes what he changed and why he changed it, and CVS comments are designed to be taken in context with their accompanying diff.

Perhaps it's a little off-the-cuff, but screw it- "Mojo isn't designed to work if nobody is reviewing the ratings. [include diff removing diaries/hidden stories from mojo calculations]" Very clear. The part about crapflooders is wild speculation about the future and how this diff helps avoid a bleak troll-infested landscape.

If it was designed to be grokked by users he would have posted it in the Site News (which he did) or put it in the Release Notes. Screw the users who read check-in notices and get offended or take them out of context.

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great ju
Parent ]

I know (none / 0) (#51)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 03:15:30 PM EST

I have to admit that I am, deep down, a crappy developer. This is a theme in my life -- in school, I was very smart, but a crappy student. Now, I'm a pretty good programmer, but a crappy developer. I've never been any good at making myself do the administrativa properly. See also wiredog's comment about my lack of comments below.

On the other hand, I tried, and I can't think of any instance where I relied on a CVS checkin log to tell me anything important. Usually they just say what the checkin is related to, and I scan the patch to figure out exactly what it does. It may just be a feature of how Scoop development usually works that makes this feasable, since patches are not usually very long.

Not the real rusty

Flattery.... (3.71 / 7) (#34)
by kimpton on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 04:21:07 AM EST

will get you nowhere....

I was against the k5 focus thing. But I like the idea better if you get different sponsors every so often. Get less of an impression that you are allowing one business the opportunity to hijack k5.

Yeah (4.00 / 3) (#35)
by rusty on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 04:25:41 AM EST

That's the plan. This focus isn't going to be a permanent thing, even if we never find anyone else who wants to sponsor a section. Hell, if no one else is willing to pay for it, we might just make one up that you guys are interested in. I think an rotating focus topic is a cool idea regardless.

And... didn't my flattery make you feel at least a little warm and fuzzy? Is it still flattery if I really mean it? :-)

Not the real rusty

The google approach vs. the Yahoo approach (5.00 / 2) (#47)
by jacob on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 12:04:01 PM EST

I'm glad to hear you say that. As a business strategy, finding out ways to make money that are just so darned cool that you'd do them even if you didn't make money is the only thing that seems to work on the internet. That's why Google has remained the dominant force it is while Yahoo is now the Super-K-Mart of internet searches and other once-big-time engines like Ask Jeeves are total internet casualties.

"it's not rocket science" right right insofar as rocket science is boring

--Iced_Up

Identity What is it? (3.60 / 5) (#36)
by underscore on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 04:33:55 AM EST

I've not given this much thought and therefore apologise for throwing out a premature idea, but, having thus qualified my post, is it fair to say any form of identity must be recursive in nature and predicated on feedback? It's late I'm very tired, I can't tell where I end and my system begins. Forgive me if the post is trivial. Anyway I'm just an ever optimistic glee club kinda guy so bring it on and best of luck.
a geek possessed of animal cunning
is a most fearsome adversary

Focus topics? (3.66 / 3) (#45)
by wji on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 09:39:20 AM EST

Does that mean with a little cash, I could get, say, "focus on How Great WJI Is?"

Cool.

In conclusion, the Powerpuff Girls are a reactionary, pseudo-feminist enterprise.

Hmm (2.50 / 2) (#50)
by psicE on Thu Apr 11, 2002 at 02:18:00 PM EST

What was that about Slashvertisements?

Focus on Digital Identity | 56 comments (48 topical, 8 editorial, 0 hidden)