here, to be exact.
And what gets me is that you brought up canines last time, and you apparently missed the fact that there being, currently, several Canis species is a) historical, and b) due to (mostly) seperate locations. In other words, saying they are 'considered' seperate species is almost exactly backwards. They are mostly classifed as seperate species, and this classification is widely regarded as incorrect, because there are a few packs of animals that are apparently coyote/wolf hybirds, like the Red Wolf. That page explains some of the confusion going on in biology when you start trying to break animals that can interbreed into seperate species, which is still done because only 'true species' can be protected under the endangered species act. (OTOH, protecting a 'species' that may have only existed for a few decades, and you can get back at any time by throwing coyotes and wolves together, seems rather pointless.)
In short: Canines are not seperate species, it's a bad classification, and there are biologists who have already changed.
And, BTW, I can replace 'wolves' and 'coyotes' with 'Great Danes' and 'Bulldogs', and, hey, those are the same species. Ooo, really good idea to bring up canines. Canis familiaris has insane levels of obvious difference in looks, and yet indisputably is a single species. (Wait, now it's Canis lupus familiaris, since 1993. So now I can say that wolf over there and a bulldog are the same species.)
And, oh, you're just flat out wrong when you bring up the differences between you and your buddies from Kenya and China. Humans are, to quote the link, 'the most genetically homogenous species we know of'.
Genetic traits barely have anything to do with race at all, about 15%, with family variations making up the other 85%. That means that I can grab a dozen guys who look identical to you off the street, and do DNA comparisions on them, you and, your friends, and something like 1/3rd of them (The 85% varies, so half the people will be closer than your friends, and assuming the 15% is complete, and no one is a 'mixed breed' somewhere down the line, so that's 50%-15%.) will have genes that are farther away than your weird looking friends.
-David T. C.
Yes, my email address is real.
[ Parent ]