GPL Programming: A Lucrative Hobby

By smegmatic in Technology
Sat Jun 18, 2005 at 01:20:49 AM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

After completing my first year of college, this summer I would like to make some money.  I have worked low paying summer jobs like most people have, but this summer I can do better than that.  I can set my own hours, do enjoyable work, and make more money than I would at the grocery store.

Programming has been a hobby of mine for years.  And since it was just a hobby, I've always released my work under the GNU General Public License (GPL) so I would get more users and more feedback.  The obvious way to get paid from programming would be to sell your software.  But, that is not always the best way to make money.  Creating open source software can be more lucrative and I'm going to show you how to do it.

The Plan

With high-level modern programming languages, it is surprisingly easy to make useful software.  I don't want to start a flamewar here, so I will leave the choice of language to the reader.

The first key is to find a niche.  Easier said than done, I know, and I am sure it was easier for me 5 years ago than it will be for you now.  But it can be done.  Find a type of program that does not have any good free alternatives, and create that program.  Some areas you want to avoid are forums (sat-ur-ated) and content management systems (too complex).  Don't get discouraged if you can't think of something off the top of your head.  As most webmasters know, it can be hard to find high-quality free scripts.  Try browsing through Hotscripts.com and seeing if anything catches your eye.

The bulk of your work will be the actual programming.  As I'm sure most programmers have been told before, take your time and do things the right way.  It'll be worth it down the road.  Don't be in a rush to finish your script.

The Execution

Programming may seem like the most important step in all of this.  It definitely takes the most effort.  But, there are countless programmers out there who are more knowledgeable and experienced than me and you combined. Fortunately for us, they probably have better things to do than worry about simple little scripts.  This isn't rocket science; we're not doing anything that complex here.

Finding a place to distribute your script is easy.  SourceForge.net, BerliOS, and several other sites happily provide hosting for all types of open source software.

The key to making money from OSS software is promotion.  Put a little link back to your site at the bottom of your program, and release it to the masses.  Submit it to directory sites like freshmeat.net and Hotscripts.com.  If your program becomes a success, you will have thousands upon thousands of links back to your site.  Google say 14,900 link to mine.  Not bad.

The Reward

Of course, you can have a million sites linking to you, but you won't get any hits if no one clicks your little link at the bottom, right?  Well, not exactly.  Those 14,900 links bring me very little traffic.  But, they bring me something more valuable... Google PageRank, which is based on the number of incoming links to your site.  PageRank runs on a scale of 1 to 10, and as your PageRank increases, it is more difficult to move to the next level.  For example, k5 is PR7 and Slashdot is PR9.  The higher your PageRank, the higher your placement in Google searches.  And that applies not only to your site, but also to sites you link to, which makes it a powerful tool.

Advertisers are willing to pay around $50/month for a small text link on a PR7 site and $25/month on a PR6 site.  You might be able to get a little from a PR5 site, but anything lower than that is too common to be valuable.  My main site is PR7.  $50/month may not sound like much, but I currently have 11 links.  How does $550/month sound?  And I'm doing the same thing on another site now, but it's only PR6.  10 links there bring in $250/month.  Sprinkle in a little Google AdSense, and my total revenue for both sites combined is around $1000/month.  That's not bad for a summer job, especially since it pays all year round with little upkeep.

More money, enjoyable work, and more free time.  All from a simple script.  Isn't free software a wonderful thing?

o Slashdot
o Google
o Freshmeat
o GNU General Public License (GPL)
o sat
o ur
o ated
o Hotscripts .com
o SourceForg e.net
o BerliOS
o freshmeat. net
o Slashdot [2]
o Google AdSense
o Also by smegmatic

GPL Programming: A Lucrative Hobby | 95 comments (72 topical, 23 editorial, 0 hidden)
I think I've heard this before. (2.33 / 3) (#1)
by Mylakovich on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 04:25:07 PM EST

Whenever someone mentions adsence and Google Pagerank my mind glazes over.

Good for you with your scheme, though. I hope it's successful.

me too (none / 1) (#6)
by smegmatic on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 05:07:54 PM EST

i felt the same way about that stuff until it started working in my favor

Yeah (2.00 / 3) (#22)
by BJH on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 09:20:25 PM EST

Roses are red, violets are blue.
I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.
-- Oscar Levant

did you read the parent? (none / 1) (#28)
by smegmatic on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 12:03:32 AM EST

"mind glazes over" means you get bored. it doesn't have anything to do with principles.

Did you read my reply? (none / 1) (#38)
by BJH on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 02:38:44 AM EST

I'm talking about the change in your feelings, not the original post.
Roses are red, violets are blue.
I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.
-- Oscar Levant

let's figure this out... (none / 0) (#47)
by smegmatic on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 01:19:52 PM EST

i say: "i used to get bored when people talked about google and adsense, but now i'm making money from it so it's not boring anymore."

you say: "Money in exchange for dumping your principles has a way of doing that to people."

i say: "i didn't say anything about principles.  it has nothing to do with that."

Ah, I see. (none / 0) (#58)
by BJH on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 10:02:23 PM EST

So you're saying you've never had any principles?
Roses are red, violets are blue.
I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.
-- Oscar Levant

there is a disconnect between us (none / 0) (#59)
by smegmatic on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 11:29:01 PM EST

it seems as though we're talking through each other.  no need to continue that.

please (none / 1) (#83)
by dostick on Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 11:43:13 AM EST

do continue. it's mezmerizing!
My site: http://blog.enargi.com
This smells like.... (2.00 / 7) (#3)
by LittleZephyr on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 04:57:53 PM EST

Michael Crawford. Link whoring is bleh.
(\♥/) What if instead of posting that comment,
(0.-) you had actually taken a knife and stabbed
("_") me in the eye? You murderer. ~ Rusty

link whore? (none / 1) (#4)
by smegmatic on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 05:01:21 PM EST

the links are all to sites that are already huge, and i have no affiliation with any of them

Well, you're right. (none / 1) (#25)
by LittleZephyr on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 10:44:47 PM EST

Not nearly as bad as MC, but you are using his make-money-by-advertising-on-personal site idea.

But I guess it's not his idea, people have been doing it forever.

Still a bit sleazy though, like making money through the back door.
(\♥/) What if instead of posting that comment,
(0.-) you had actually taken a knife and stabbed
("_") me in the eye? You murderer. ~ Rusty

like k5? (none / 0) (#29)
by smegmatic on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 12:10:39 AM EST

scoop follows about the same plan as me. make a free script, put a link in it, release it, get a high PR (7 in this case... same as me), and put up ads.

Heh (none / 1) (#39)
by LittleZephyr on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 03:47:29 AM EST

Scoop != K5, however.

Scoop is a free script (to make an understatement). K5 is a community site. Ads are put in totally different context.

Michael Crawford is sleazy because he's getting money for running ads on a site that is basically an ad for himself, and then polluting K5 with his linkwhoring. I'm not saying you are even remotly close to Michael Crawford in action, but your ideas are similar to his.
(\♥/) What if instead of posting that comment,
(0.-) you had actually taken a knife and stabbed
("_") me in the eye? You murderer. ~ Rusty

sleazy (2.00 / 7) (#41)
by army of phred on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 07:17:56 AM EST

didn't you impersonate a teenaged girl for ages just to get your hands on kittens crotch? How did that work out for you btw?

"Republicans are evil." lildebbie
"I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about." motormachinemercenary
"my wife is getting a blowjob" ghostoft1ber
Open source software destroys programming jobs. (1.63 / 11) (#7)
by Pat Chalmers on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 05:28:05 PM EST

Fact.

You're a gay necrophiliac. (2.33 / 12) (#8)
by Mr.Surly on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 05:37:29 PM EST

Fact.

Free air destroys breath counting jobs. (2.00 / 5) (#12)
by Znork on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 06:08:40 PM EST

It's called competition. Deal with it.

Ranting about Open source software kills neurons. (1.50 / 2) (#20)
by esrever on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 08:31:07 PM EST

Fact.

Audit NTFS permissions on Windows
Statistics causes cancer in rats. (1.50 / 2) (#34)
by jd on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 01:38:05 AM EST

Fact. Or, at least, it said so on the fortune cookie program.

The experiments will continue (2.25 / 4) (#27)
by Tatarigami on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 11:31:22 PM EST

...until it's ready to destroy cities.

Survival of the fittest? (none / 1) (#60)
by Gooba42 on Fri Jun 17, 2005 at 01:51:22 AM EST

Are you a Capitalist or aren't you?

MAKE $1K/MONTH IN YOUR SPARE TIME!! NOT MLM (2.72 / 11) (#9)
by glor on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 05:44:23 PM EST

Disclaimer: I am not the most intelligent kuron.

And then - post a story to K5 to push your site (none / 1) (#18)
by sien on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 07:13:18 PM EST

Nah, just being cynical, it's actually a good article and an interesting idea. Perhaps Google will wind up paying people to make software. This may be the way to produce open source 'adware' that isn't obnoxious.

witness the summer of code (none / 0) (#72)
by zrail on Sat Jun 18, 2005 at 01:53:41 PM EST

they already are paying people to create open source software.

This is kind of creepy (2.25 / 4) (#19)
by dhall on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 07:43:03 PM EST

I can't imagine how the whole advertising thing won't just collapse in on itself. There has to be some sort of limit to this.

Not entirely recursive ads (3.00 / 3) (#23)
by Eight Star on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 09:20:43 PM EST

I used to think so too, then I realized that some of those advertisers do actually have products, and people do buy them because of web ads.

Spread the wealth around. (2.00 / 2) (#21)
by catastrophe on Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 08:42:32 PM EST

Brother could use a little cash money.

Could have a lot more useful stuff, here. (3.00 / 4) (#35)
by jd on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 01:50:49 AM EST

The method proposed is essentially ad-ware or guilt-ware - selling not the product, but advertising or guilt-trips. In the former case, the money comes in through people buying other stuff (links to Amazon are usually of this kind). In the latter, the hope is to guilt people into donating money.

There are actually many other ways to make money with GPLed software. Here are a few:

• Dual-License (a-la Trolltech's QT Toolkit)
  • Support Model (this is how Red Hat started)
  • Advertising of the Programmer (Linus Torvalds didn't earn his million from Linux, even though he earned it BECAUSE of Linux)
  • Mixed-Mode (have a GPLed program with closed-source modules which link to it, where those modules are likely done on a contract basis)
  • Sponsor-ware (similar to Mixed-Mode, except it is all GPL, and users pay you to add features)
  • Low-End Appliance-ware (many home routers use Linux, Zebra and Apache, because they want the features but don't want to hire their own coders, and where the GPL isn't considered an issue - but I'll bet they're not the only ones who would want a package like that!)
  • Spinoff-ware (write a killer app, then write the "definitive book" on it - or make some plush toy mascots)

not quite adware (none / 0) (#37)
by smegmatic on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 01:57:17 AM EST

i would say it's not really adware.  the only ad is a small text link hidden away at the bottom of the page, and users are free to remove it (many do).

i don't see how it's guiltware.  maybe you could elaborate?

i agree with your other ideas on how to make money off gpl software.  i know mine isn't the only one.

Author's page (3.00 / 2) (#42)
by elver on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 07:51:34 AM EST

I got tired of waiting for the dude to post a link. So I did a bit of googling based on his public e-mail addy, found his name to be Jeremy Scheff and, well, his $MOOLAH making website can be found at http://www.aardvarkind.com/

Looks... Umm... Pimped.

Looks like his code is full of holes too (none / 1) (#43)
by elver on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 07:54:51 AM EST

I think this speaks for itself...

So basically we've got a guy writing software that's crap just so he could pimp his page. That's... Sad. I mean, yeah, I'd do it myself, but I'd at least put some effort into securing the damn thing.

looks like... (none / 1) (#45)
by smegmatic on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 01:17:25 PM EST

that was a version released years ago, that has since been fixed.  sorry for not being perfect.

-1, PHP <nt> (none / 1) (#44)
by czth on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 11:58:00 AM EST

kudos (none / 0) (#46)
by smegmatic on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 01:17:46 PM EST

good use of google.

How does he make money off of this? (none / 0) (#67)
by civis ebrius sum on Fri Jun 17, 2005 at 06:37:13 PM EST

I don't see anything I'd pay for or want on this page.  If you can make a profit out of this it is admirable.  I've written free software which I would consider much more useful and haven't been paid a dime for it.  :P

exactly (none / 0) (#69)
by smegmatic on Fri Jun 17, 2005 at 07:27:04 PM EST

that's the purpose of the article.  i have no delusions of grandeur, i know my software is nothing special.  as i say in the article the article, "there are countless programmers out there who are more knowledgeable and experienced than me and you combined."

and, judging from your post, you probably didn't read the article because i feel that it explains pretty decently how i make money off of it.  it has little to do with the quality or utility of the software.

I read it for awhile (none / 1) (#70)
by civis ebrius sum on Fri Jun 17, 2005 at 07:35:44 PM EST

But all I saw were google buzzwords, so, nauseated, I stopped reading.  :)

It would be nice if you'd explained this a little more clearly in the article.  IMO the source of funds is buried in buzzwords and fluff like "okay so I went down over to sourceforge..."

here's the key part: (none / 1) (#71)
by smegmatic on Fri Jun 17, 2005 at 11:25:29 PM EST

"Advertisers are willing to pay around $50/month for a small text link on a PR7 site and $25/month on a PR6 site.  You might be able to get a little from a PR5 site, but anything lower than that is too common to be valuable.  My main site is PR7.  $50/month may not sound like much, but I currently have 11 links.  How does $550/month sound?  And I'm doing the same thing on another site now, but it's only PR6.  10 links there bring in $250/month.  Sprinkle in a little Google AdSense, and my total revenue for both sites combined is around $1000/month."

i tried to keep google buzzwords at a minimum, as i share your distaste for them.

yeah, I got it on the second read [n/t] (none / 0) (#73)
by civis ebrius sum on Sat Jun 18, 2005 at 04:47:27 PM EST

A question for you civis ebrius sum: (none / 0) (#92)
by rinkjustice on Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 07:36:07 AM EST

I'm trying not to be mean. I'm not that type of person. But I'm wondering how you get through life being so sensitive and impatient, you can't even read an informative three minute article.

Are you a slow reader, or do you have bad eyesite? The article can be read in a few short minutes - and it wasn't full of "buzzwords" as you also complained (a few Google trademarks, no biggy). If you want an example of buzzwords, read an interview with ex-HP CEO Carly Fiorina.

It must be tough getting through life with such fragile sensibilities.

Secrets of getting stronger, faster, leaner - ZerotoSuperhero

Bleh, I hate Slashdot articles (1.00 / 4) (#48)
by morewhine on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 01:27:24 PM EST

-1.  Does anybody know what percentage of programmers write in a lucid manner that is comprehensible and not jumbled?  I'd also like to see how many code monkeys can write creatively.

More Than Less is Still Less than More (none / 0) (#87)
by OldCoder on Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 02:50:14 PM EST

CodeMonkey I Yam. Yet Lucidly I Write.

If you think you understand this then more codemonkeys can write more creatively than you had previously thought, otherwise not more, and so you don't understand this like you thought you did before you finished reading. Otherwise otherwise.

By reading this signature, you have agreed.
Copyright © 2004 OldCoder

Neat (1.50 / 2) (#49)
by LilDebbie on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 01:42:22 PM EST

Thanks to k5, my shitty little homepage I never update has a page rank of 5!

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

thanks to that comment... (none / 0) (#88)
by nietsch on Thu Jun 23, 2005 at 05:22:40 AM EST

Kuro5hin now has a new member or two ;-)

+1 FP GNU/Hippies (1.71 / 7) (#50)
by GNUStallman on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 02:38:34 PM EST

I heartily approve of your activities, however I do not feel that the open source attitudes you suggest are the best ones. One should see Whether to make your program free software as an ethical and moral question not an economic one.

This article shows that the values of Open Source are not about freedom of the programs and programmers, but pragmatism. In fact the author would probably force people to betray their neighbors if he was paid enough money. The author should put in more references as to why the freedom of software is important. I suggest that the author replace the refrences of Open Source with Free Software.

The name Open Source itself was deviously devised by ESR. in  the essay Goodbye,  "free software"; hello, "open source"   He wanted to destroy the name Free Software because he wanted to weaken the concept so that it would be acceptable to software hoarders. Open source advocates often do not care about the liberty of software. Linus Torvalds even encouraged the use of Bitkeeper an evil proprietary program developed by Larry McVoy.

Please be clear on where you stand on this issue, the lax Open source people who care little for the freedom of developers or users; or the Free Software people who see the question of licensing as a moral and ethical one and want to spread and promote sofware that cannot be hoarded.

Cheers ESR (none / 1) (#62)
by reidbold on Fri Jun 17, 2005 at 09:17:22 AM EST

So I read the linked essay, does twisting ESR's words to such a degree jive with your free software manta? It seems that ESR wants to keep the same freedoms of 'free software', but just rename it to 'open source software' for ambiguities sake. Besides, there's nothing unethical about using nvidia drivers.

You prove it in your own comment. (1.66 / 3) (#68)
by GNUStallman on Fri Jun 17, 2005 at 07:14:44 PM EST

if you actually cared about the freedom of software you wouldn't use the nvidia drivers. The fact that you also promote Open Source shows that you don't care about the ideals of Free Software. You furthermore denegrate Free Software, just like ESR. I do not see how I am twisting any words. ESR is tricky himself, and although it isn't said explicitly in the essay, he is advocating software that software hoarders can use. Just because ESR says he is upholding the same ideals does not mean he is.

Oh course, (none / 0) (#76)
by it certainly is on Sun Jun 19, 2005 at 02:50:13 AM EST

software hoarders can use GPL software, as can anyone, that being freedom 0 of free sofware. Surely you meant to say "advocating software that software hoarders can co-opt and make non-free".

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Godwin's law [...] is impossible to violate except with an infinitely long thread that doesn't mention nazis.

bs (none / 1) (#79)
by reidbold on Sun Jun 19, 2005 at 12:55:56 PM EST

Wrong. I like free software, but non-free software is sometimes the better option. The world isn't white and black. Is the software that runs your tv open source? Why not? How about your thermostat? Your car?

RMS used non-free software (none / 0) (#85)
by Eccles on Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 12:01:32 PM EST

Given that RMS didn't write an OS from the ground up, but started with shells, utility apps, compilers and editors, he used non-free software to achieve his goals.

This is what's keeping people away from FOSS (none / 0) (#91)
by The Warlock on Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 07:22:46 AM EST

You see, this right here is what drives people away from your movement. How can you expect to attract others to your cause when you viciously attack anyone that doesn't think exactly the same things you do. It's just like when Stallman decided to say that the only free distro is UTUTO because all the others allow the user to use closed software.

Yeah. USE AND CREATE ONLY SOFTWARE THAT CONFORMS TO OUR IDEALS doesn't seem like freedom for some reason.

Nvidia (none / 1) (#75)
by der on Sun Jun 19, 2005 at 12:06:58 AM EST

There may be nothing unethical about using proprietary drivers, but there is definitely something unethical about selling people hardware which they are legally forbidden to use as they please.

I agree(nt) (none / 0) (#78)
by reidbold on Sun Jun 19, 2005 at 12:45:33 PM EST

(Ross offers a spurious analogy) (none / 0) (#86)
by rpresser on Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 02:06:24 PM EST

You mean like selling a man a .22 rifle, which he is legally forbidden to use for killing people?
------------
"In terms of both hyperbolic overreaching and eventual wrongness, the Permanent [Republican] Majority has set a new, and truly difficult to beat, standard." --rusty
Of course. (none / 1) (#89)
by Shadowrose on Sat Jul 02, 2005 at 11:36:49 PM EST

Because using your own items in a new way is -so- going to kill somebody. Really. It does. See? Another kitten just died because of you.

Wow (none / 1) (#52)
by Drog on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 02:50:23 PM EST

You have almost 15,000 sites linking to you? Man... I only have 109. That's so depressing. Good for you, though.

Looking for political forums? Check out "The World Forum". News feed available here on K5.
Dumb question (3.00 / 5) (#53)
by porkchop_d_clown on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 04:05:40 PM EST

how do you find out your page rank?

How many trolls could a true troll troll if a true troll could troll trolls?
websites (none / 1) (#55)
by smegmatic on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 04:59:28 PM EST

there are websites like this one that will do it for you.

PRGoogleBar, a Firefox extension [nt] (none / 0) (#57)
by esrever on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 05:26:22 PM EST

Audit NTFS permissions on Windows
Hrm. One thing though.... (2.66 / 6) (#54)
by porkchop_d_clown on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 04:40:43 PM EST

Sourceforge does not permit you to put adds on your webpages (if they host your site)

You may not use your project web site to generate revenue, display advertisements or information about non-Open Source products, or to solicit donations except via the SourceForge.net Donation System.

How many trolls could a true troll troll if a true troll could troll trolls?

whoops (none / 1) (#56)
by smegmatic on Thu Jun 16, 2005 at 05:00:47 PM EST

didn't realize that... too bad i didn't catch this in the edit queue.  i've never hosted a site on sourceforge, so i wasn't up on their policies.  i always use another host.  you can get a good commercial host for a couople bucks a month.

running cost (none / 0) (#82)
by dostick on Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 11:42:00 AM EST

couple bucks? with this kind of traffic, you'll loose all your $1000 revenues to your ISP.
My site: http://blog.enargi.com
not quite (none / 0) (#84)
by smegmatic on Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 07:29:05 PM EST

as i say in the article, the traffic is not that great.  i pay $3/month for hosting on my main site, and the other is on a friend's server.  my bandwidth isn't more than a few gigs a month and it takes up about 10 mb of space.  if either of those figures became a problem, i could host the downloads on sf.

-1, Reinventing the dotcom bubble (1.75 / 4) (#65)
by lonelyhobo on Fri Jun 17, 2005 at 11:40:46 AM EST

LET'S NEVER LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES

Dear web geek: (2.00 / 2) (#74)
by der on Sun Jun 19, 2005 at 12:02:31 AM EST

Not every program is a server side web script.

Advertisers? (none / 1) (#77)
by infraoctarine on Sun Jun 19, 2005 at 07:43:09 AM EST

Where do you find those advertisers who are willing to pay for links? Not that I have a PR6/7 website, I'm just curious.

plenty of places (none / 0) (#80)
by smegmatic on Sun Jun 19, 2005 at 05:40:35 PM EST

most of mine are from one large advertising firm that contacted me about it, so i guess they're out on the prowl for high-pr sites.  i've also been contacted by individuals who wanted to advertise sites that way.  it doesn't seem like there are a shortage of advertisers.

Start by fixing the title (none / 1) (#90)
by fullmetalcolumnist on Mon Jul 04, 2005 at 11:35:19 PM EST

Yeah, okay. This isn't making money from programming, this is using OSS as bait to make money from a website.

Sanity is not statistical. --George Orwell
You don't quite get it (none / 0) (#94)
by floridian on Sun Jul 24, 2005 at 05:50:45 PM EST

You are right, its not programming => money, its programming => audience => money.

If there wasn't a service that people valued (programming, text info, cartoons, or whatever), then there would be no audience and no one would pay for the ads.

How do you sell the ads? (none / 0) (#93)
by floridian on Fri Jul 22, 2005 at 01:15:12 PM EST

Just curious as to how you find ad sponsors. How many letters/phone calls were needed? How do you handle the billing? I enjoyed reading this article. I have a small site on medical topics (just went from PR-zero to PR3 last week, the site is only a few months old, but lots of unique information). I have adsense and a few affiliates, enough to pay for bandwidth, but not much more.

License (none / 0) (#95)
by ill on Thu Jul 28, 2005 at 02:53:58 PM EST

I'm always glad when another project is release under the GPL, but I feel the license used is a little irrelevent to the article.

I do like the article, and fair play to you.