Dear Sir or Madame,
Welcome to kuro5hin.org! I hope you enjoy your stay. In a few minutes or hours, the story you have submitted will disappear from this website. There are a few reasons for this. Some or all of these reasons may apply to your particular case:
1. You have submitted no comments or diaries and, ex nihilo, are submitting a story. Stories contain content that is featured most prominently on this website, and this content is collectively moderated by the users of kuro5hin.org (if you are unfamiliar with the term 'moderation,' think of it as 'approval'). As a new user, you are expected to participate prior to being published.
2. The story you have submitted has links to your own website. For users and visitors of kuro5hin.org to click on these links may constitute financial gain for yourself. Thus, your 'Story' is actually an advertisement. This is colloquially referred to as spam. You are welcome to purchase advertising space on this website if you so desire.
3. Your story is too personal or provincial to be submitted as a story to one of the appropriate sections, and would be better suited as a diary entry, because such a thing does not require user approval.
4. Your story does not meet one of any number of editorial standards. It could contain poor grammar, multiple spelling errors, or it could be too verbose, or perhaps not verbose enough. If English is your second language, you have my sympathy, but please make that clear from the beginning, and we will endeavor to help you correct any such mistakes.
5. If your story does not violate any of the above standards, it is possible that you submitted it to the wrong section. For example, a story about Hillary Clinton's prospects for the 2008 Presidential election ought to be submitted under Politics, not Science. Please re-submit your story, but this time to the proper section.
6. If your story does not violate any of the above standards, it is probably patently unoriginal, it smacks of plagiarism, or your analysis is completely lacking. Or it is possible that your story simply mirrors something from slashdot.org, fark.com, or boingboing.net, which collectively represent much of what is soulless and banal about the internet.
7. If your story does not violate any of the above standards, then it is probably going to be voted down for being a 'troll.' This is an internet colloquialism used to describe a statement or action that at face value may appear innocuous, but has been cleverly designed to generate angry, emotional, and irrational responses, leading to arguments and disagreements usually marked by intense vitriol. For example, an attempt at starting a debate about abortion, despite any disclaimers to the contrary, will be received as a rather unsubtle troll.
Don't worry, it will all be over soon. This story will be soon deleted and forgotten. Better luck next time, and welcome to kuro5hin.org!
"There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness." - H.L. Mencken